Roethlisberger was "hurt" by Ward's comments

Hines Ward said he didn’t throw Ben Roethlisberger under the bus last week. Maybe it wasn’t a bus that hit him, but Roethlisberger admitted Thursday that Ward’s comments hurt.

“He reached out to me and I told him I was just more hurt than
anything,” Roethlisberger said. “You know, we got over
it, moved past it and now we’re preparing.”

Roethlisberger was “shocked” when he learned he had to sit, but agrees with the decision in retrospect.

“They took what was my best interests in mind,” Roethlisberger said.
“A lot of people forget the accident that I had. [The doctors]
remembered that. It was life threatening, I almost lost my life for an
accident to my head and face and the five plates I have in my face
right now.”

Big Ben has been called a drama queen before, but he makes a great point in reference to his motorcycle accident.  The long-term effects of that crash have not been considered publicly regarding his safety in returning from his concussion.

Roethlisberger learned he was out last Saturday morning from coach Mike Tomlin.

“He basically pulled me in his office and told me. I was kind of in shock, upset, shock but respected what they said,” Roethlisberger said.

Roethlisberger has no headaches now and “feels great.”  He is slated to start against the Raiders and will be given no more tests because he hasn’t had any headaches since last week.

That Roethlisberger was hurt by Ward’s comments makes Ward’s blame of Rodney Harrison for the controversy look sillier.

Roethlisberger interpreted the interview the same way that Harrison did.

(Okay, now this horse is really dead.  Flogged.  We think.)

Permalink 72 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Pittsburgh Steelers, Rumor Mill, Sprint Football Live - Rumors, Top Stories
72 Responses to “Roethlisberger was "hurt" by Ward's comments”
  1. nfcbeast says: Dec 3, 2009 7:47 PM

” I would have seen his apology note but he stuck the magnet on the back of my head “

2. hayward giablommi says: Dec 3, 2009 7:47 PM

Thanks for your honesty, Ben.
    Please, feel free to continue, along with Wines, to play this story out in the media and air as much of it in public in possible. It can only turn out well that way.

3. chapnasty says: Dec 3, 2009 7:48 PM

WOW! Fat Ben needs some terrible towels to wipe the tears off his face. What a clown, cry baby little puss. He had to open his mouth and take all the trash away from Hines. What a terd. I hate Ben more than I did and I didn’t think that was possible. Go away you fat, out of shape blob.

4. Love_Boat_Scandal says: Dec 3, 2009 7:49 PM

“He reached out to me and I told him I was just more hurt than anything,” Roethlisberger said. “You know, we got over it, moved past it and now we’re preparing.”
    What’s with all this touchy-feely, Oprah Winfrey, express my feeling crap from QBs. Strap on a pair Big Ben. You sound like that little girl Favre at his “retirement” announcement.

5. bearsrule says: Dec 3, 2009 7:51 PM

R.I.P

6. The Coop says: Dec 3, 2009 7:52 PM

I hate the friggin Steelers with every ounce of my being, and yet I feel compelled to say that Whines Hard has repeatedly publicly disrespected Roethlisberger time and again, and yet, Whines would have ZERO Super Bowl rings if it weren’t for Roethlisberger.
    I just hope people realize, once and for all, what a phony-baloney loser Whines is. WHAT A JERK.

7. Poo Flinging Monkey says: Dec 3, 2009 7:55 PM

Awww, was he hurt? Coming from a long line of weepy, crying football players like Kordell Stewart and Hines Ward, no one should be surprised that yet another Steeler would become emotionally overwrought. Take a Midol, Ben. I’m sure Willie Parker has a few in his locker.

8. this class sucks says: Dec 3, 2009 7:55 PM

That poor horse never knew what hit him. (I bet at least 50 people are reading this saying “what horse”)

9. leatherneck says: Dec 3, 2009 7:56 PM

Bottom line: Rothlisberger will be an good starting quarterback for the Steelers for longer because they kept him out of the game when medical reasons dictated it.

10. bluestree says: Dec 3, 2009 7:56 PM

There have been rumors (mostly in PFT) that Ben wasn’t popular in the locker room. This story gives some credence to those rumors. That’s what gives this story legs. Ben responding, especially using the word “hurt” just doesn’t resonate well. He should have lied and said “Non issue.” “No big deal.” It ain’t over.

11. i'm president charlie! says: Dec 3, 2009 7:59 PM

all is well again in the city of champions.

12. FireJerryJones says: Dec 3, 2009 7:59 PM

He’ll wake up tomorrow… and won’t remember a thing about this.

13. C.Bass says: Dec 3, 2009 8:00 PM

Hey Haters,
    Second, Ben makes a s-load more money than you, is way better at football than you ever were, and is a lot tougher than you. If it makes you feel more like a man to tear down professionals by insulting them, go ahead. But it’s only b/c you hate your own life.
    Losers.

14. GoBrowns19 says: Dec 3, 2009 8:01 PM

At least it’s fun watching the Steelers come apart at the seams.

15. Kiss Bills Rings says: Dec 3, 2009 8:03 PM

Oh gee, Ben’s sooooooo sensative……I HATE that in a football player!!!! Thank God he’s a steeler…maybe him & Hines can share a towel to wipe those tears away….terrible towels are yellow right?? HOW APPROPRIATE!!!!

16. Bird Man says: Dec 3, 2009 8:04 PM

When was Big Ben called a drama queen?

17. Occam says: Dec 3, 2009 8:05 PM

This week, Lifetime Television presents a very special movie about the failings of love when one partner suffers a serious concussion. Join us for our special presentation of, “Shot To The Head, Shot To The Heart,” starring Hines Ward and Ben Roethlisberger.”

18. PervyHarvin says: Dec 3, 2009 8:06 PM

…hey,Mike Tyson cried on Oprah. Rocky Balboa cried to Adrian. Rex Ryan cried when the buffet ran out. Give Ben a break, he’s an emotional dude. Sad isn’t so bad.

19. Big J says: Dec 3, 2009 8:07 PM

Ward will give you a cheap shot on or off the field.

20. mustbechris says: Dec 3, 2009 8:07 PM

stop…talking…about…this…please.

21. Guyute says: Dec 3, 2009 8:10 PM

Maby they should bench Ward…right Florio???

22. PervyHarvin says: Dec 3, 2009 8:11 PM

@ Occam- Dude, You made my gut hurt. I don’t care who you are , that was a hilarious post!

23. chapnasty says: Dec 3, 2009 8:14 PM

@ c.bass
    Are you retarded? Not a single person on here would admit they arent jealous of the backup kicker for the opportunity they have to play the sport they love and make a damn fine living at it. I hate it when people like you come on here and state the obvious. Seriously, did it take all 4 of your brain cells working together to come up with that rant. “dooohhhh he makes more money than you guys, he is tougher than you guys” thank you for that insight you genius. I can now go on with my life knowing that a man who gets a 100 million dollar contract makes more money than me. I can go on with my life knowing that a guy who gets hit over and over with a force equal to that of a car crash is tougher than me. You terd.

24. sand0 says: Dec 3, 2009 8:16 PM

Aw, shucks. Did the big bad footbawl player get his feelings hurt? Put some tape on it ya big wimp.

25. CaptainFantastik says: Dec 3, 2009 8:16 PM

Ben, as a life-long Steelers fan……STFU. You’re a drama queen and everybody knows it. From the way you always shake your hand and look at it like its been hurt every single time you throw a pick or fumble to the way you always talk up your injuries in the press. And apparently if the locker room was as split as Hines said then you’r teammates know it too.
    That said, I fully support sitting Ben after a concussion like that. That was a legit crack to the head in KC and Ben has a history of head injuries.
    And Hines Ward rules and is tougher than any defensive player on every single one of the teams you people root for.

26. CaptainFantastik says: Dec 3, 2009 8:20 PM

And for the record, Ben publicly lobbied for a “bigger, taller wide reciever” a couple seasons ago so this is not the first time Hines and Ben have a had a little tiff in public.
    And for those that would claim “Hines wouldn’t have a ring without Ben”……well that goes both ways. Hines Ward was a HUGE reason why those teams got to 2 Super Bowls. He made more game saving plays those years than I can count. I also seem to recall Hines getting the MVP award in one of those games.

27. IndyColt45 says: Dec 3, 2009 8:22 PM

Awww. Ben fell down and broke his vagina!

28. Bill Cowher's Chin says: Dec 3, 2009 8:23 PM

Occam, are you sure it isnt Brokehead Mountain? Cant you see Big Ben, sniffling about Ward being a douche bag, saying, Hines, I cant quit you….

29. Vox's Mommy says: Dec 3, 2009 8:28 PM

Occam…
    That was hilarious! And I’m a Steeler fan. Well done!

30. Beezer says: Dec 3, 2009 8:34 PM

C.Bass,
    “Ben and Hines haven’t once seeked out the media for this. They keep coming to them. Don’t act like they want attention over this.” That comment was really stupid. No matter how you cut it Hines Ward should not have criticized Ben to the media. What football players or any other professional athlete seek out the media?

31. steveinohio says: Dec 3, 2009 8:36 PM

I hate Ben and all things Steelers but a head injury in this day and age…WTF? Hines is the most classless player I can remember ever playing the game. complete doush of a human being.

32. HRVA DBAG says: Dec 3, 2009 8:37 PM

@ Occam and Percy.
    Brought to you in full HD by Vagasil. Great post Occam.

33. Ned Mark says: Dec 3, 2009 8:41 PM

PervyHarvin, I thought your post was even funnier.

34. The Jimmy says: Dec 3, 2009 8:50 PM

Everyone involved just needs to shut the hell up and move on. What the is wrong with professional athletes these days that they feel they need to talk publicly about EVERYTHING? Next thing one of them will be writing on twitter or facebook about it. Oh wait, Hines already did that.

35. mitybuc says: Dec 3, 2009 8:54 PM

This is great!
    But cheap shots on and off the field bout sums it up for hines, yup.

36. purplescar says: Dec 3, 2009 8:59 PM

schism

37. Wrathchild says: Dec 3, 2009 9:03 PM

Sounds like they need to have some make-up sex.

38. Deb says: Dec 3, 2009 9:05 PM

@Occam … Speaking as the only person posting so far who actually watches Lifetime Television (at least I hope I’m the only one) … well done!! Pervy, I liked yours, too.
    @Chap … okay, I know you’re not speaking to me, but that post to c.bass was hysterical. LOL
    As for the rest of you, thanks for making my night!! Even after three straight losses, you still hate us!! It’s only when you stop hating that I’ll start worrying!! Greg, it was worth beating the old dead nag once more just to feel all this non-love. Yum!

39. chapnasty says: Dec 3, 2009 9:12 PM

@ deb
    I will always speak to you. Not many women know what they are talking about when it comes to football and you hold your own with any dude on here. you have my respect!

40. Deb says: Dec 3, 2009 9:23 PM

Uh-oh, Gregg, I shorted you a “g.” Sorry about that!

41. Deb says: Dec 3, 2009 9:26 PM

@chap …
    Thank you!! Glad I didn’t lose you!!

42. Raider Pride says: Dec 3, 2009 9:42 PM

The Steelers Locker Room is in “Beverly Hills 90210 mode.”
    Take “Da Raidahhs” PLUS 14.5 Points.
    You will thank Raider Pride later.

43. ForeverRebuilding says: Dec 3, 2009 9:47 PM

oh no! the fat (alleged) rapist is sad : (

44. urbusted says: Dec 3, 2009 10:20 PM

chapnasty says:
    December 3, 2009 9:12 PM
    @ deb
    You mean she’s not a TERD? You’re a moron! Did you get past 5th grade? Now bring on some of that stupid “I’m dumber than I sound” Idiotic, thoughtless, rhetoric that you’re so famous for. Make sure you call me a dirty, mean name so I become afraid of you and won’t give my opinion any more. You don’t have my respect not that you’re smart enough to care. Your a 54, period.

45. Steeler-lady says: Dec 3, 2009 10:28 PM

THIS HATRED IS HILARIOUS.. I GUESS THIS IS WHAT HAVING THE MOST LOMBARDIS CAN DO TO PEOPLE.LOL ITS OK BOYS.. WE ALLOW U TO LOOK AT THEM.. FROM A FAR.YOU WILL HAVE TO GET YOUR MOMS TO FILL OUT A PERMISSION SLIP THO.
    GO BEN,,GO HINES..YOU GAVE THE LOSERS ON P.F.T SOMETHING TO TALK ABOUT.. (THAT LIST EXCLUDES A FEW)

46. KENTUCKY FUK NUCKLE says: Dec 3, 2009 10:30 PM

I wonder if Ward questoning his toughness hurt his feelings more than bouncing his face off the side of that old ladies Chrysler…

47. Richm2256 says: Dec 3, 2009 10:40 PM

C.Bass says:
    Hey Haters,
    Losers.
    ————————————————
    1) No, they haven’t “seeked out” the media, but they haven’t shut their yaps near a microphone either. Think you would have heard a quote from either Randy Moss or Tom Brady?
    2) Way better at football than me? I don’t claim to be an “elite” NFL quarterback, douchebag, Ben does. Tougher than me? I just know a crybaby when I hear one.
    And I happen to love my life, except for the part when I read your crappy posts here.
    By the way, which NFL team do YOU play for, tough guy?

48. JoeSixPack1 says: Dec 3, 2009 10:43 PM

urbusted says:
    chapnasty
    You mean she’s not a TERD? You’re a moron! Did you get past 5th grade? Now bring on some of that stupid “I’m dumber than I sound” Idiotic, thoughtless, rhetoric that you’re so famous for. Make sure you call me a dirty, mean name so I become afraid of you and won’t give my opinion any more. You don’t have my respect not that you’re smart enough to care. You’re a 54, period.
    Right On!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

49. steelerfanforlife says: Dec 3, 2009 10:53 PM

You know what is funnier than all of this? You so called “Squeelers, Raplisberger & Whines Hard” haters who have nothing else to do but to post comments every time there is a Steeler story. What team are you guys a fan of again?
    Come on over to the dark side we would love to have you!

50. kilo31actual says: Dec 3, 2009 10:59 PM

WAAAAAAHHHHHHHH!!!!

51. Deb says: Dec 3, 2009 11:26 PM

@Richm2256 …
    “Think you would have heard from either Moss or Brady?” Awww, you heard someone had posted something about Lifetime Television and wanted to make sure Randy & Tom didn’t feel excluded. How sweet!
    You know, it’s not surprising that fans of these other pitiful teams would troll Steelers threads to bash the six-time champs. But it is a little odd for a Pats fan to keep showing up the way you do. Most of your fans are busy puffing out their chests on their own threads. Should we take your constant attention to mean you know the Pats best days are behind them and they’ll be stopping three trophies shy of our load? They certainly looked … well … shall we say “less than” on Monday night, didn’t they? At least Ben was out of our game because he had a concussion. Brady was pulled from your for lack of performance. No, if I were him, I wouldn’t say anything either.

52. Occam says: Dec 3, 2009 11:34 PM

“You know what is funnier than all of this? You so called “Squeelers, Raplisberger & Whines Hard” haters ….”
    In my always humble opinion, there are few things in life as lame as the people who use *any* stupid, convoluted name. “OOooh, I said ‘Rapelisberger’ ’cause he was accused of rape and they both start with an ‘R.’ Look how clever I am. I can make jokes like a seven year old.”
    Still, I have to admit that “Whines Hard” is prettt funny. Gotta give credit where due.

53. Ravenmaniac says: Dec 3, 2009 11:41 PM

steelerfanforlife…dude it is the same way when there is a Ravens story…..there are a lot of steeler fans that come out of the woodwork with there fresh take on comedy talking about Ray the murderer…..maybe Ray could stab someone….blah…blah..blah….
    It is just fun to go back and forth with each other. While the comedy mentioned above is worn out….there are some really funny guys/girls on both sides on here. Fun to read!
    Charlie…I love your attitude.
    It is great to see The Captain on here…..

54. marshall70 says: Dec 4, 2009 2:25 AM

Big Ben and Will Ferrell are the same person

55. dale says: Dec 4, 2009 3:08 AM

Jesus these comments are ridiculous. Just when i feel like i can’t read a dumber post, i read the very next one and it’s a new low. Seriously, who the f— cares what’s going on in the steelers locker room. it has no relevance to football or even life in general. this celebrity gossip bullsh– is only made worse by people who ridiculously comment on these usesless articles that have n0 f—ing relevance to anything! Live your life, watch your football, and leave their lives to themselves.
    Go ahead and make fun of anything about this post. making fun of someone on the internet is such a pointless form of argument that never leads to anything productive, just like 90 percent of all these comments above mine.

56. Chevy says: Dec 4, 2009 3:20 AM

Trailer Trash Florio is happy Ben and Hines made up so he can keep his dreams of a threesome alive. Keep dreaming, Trailer Trash.

57. mnmaverick says: Dec 4, 2009 5:54 AM

Ben can set up Hines with a room at “Harrah’s” along with a note with a name and number for TV maintenance courtesy of “Bubba” from the County Jail who is out on Community Service.
    When Hines claims that he doesn’t have the money to pay for the repairs, Bubba can offer him an alternative method of payment. Something that might straighten out his antennae. :::snicker:::

58. mnmaverick says: Dec 4, 2009 6:26 AM

That “Trailer Trash” you speak of is happily married and has a son. Not to mention the fact that he probably makes two or three times what you do, if not more, Chevy.
    Florio runs what I’d call the best Football forum, available. The PFT Crew has a great thing going here. A place where fans can have laidback fun while shooting the breeze on the greatest sport in the world.

59. shaunypoo says: Dec 4, 2009 6:41 AM

marshall70 says:
    December 4, 2009 2:25 AM
    Big Ben and Will Ferrell are the same person
    He looks more like Ogre from Revenge of the Nerds to me.

60. DonTerrelli says: Dec 4, 2009 6:50 AM

This horse will continue to be bludgeoned and then raped.

61. Mike D says: Dec 4, 2009 8:21 AM

Tell you what, the level of commentary on PFT has really hit rock bottom. When this site first started, you would see some really good, thoughtful discussions about football in these threads. Everyone had their favorite teams and biases, of course, but for the most part, it was a thoughtful, intelligent discussion of the issues.
    Now, you open a thread and like 80% of it is hateful, moronic gibberish. No real attempt at making valid points, just blind hatred for whichever player or team is being discussed. Certainly, there are still some on here who make the effort and post reasonable, intelligent comments but, increasingly, it seems like they’re the exception rather than the rule. It’s a shame because this used to be a really good board.
    Not trying to lecture anybody here, just making an observation. Obviously, this is football, everyone has strong feelings about it and all and a certain amount of back and forth is to be expected, it just seems like it’s gone way over the top. It would be nice if Florio made an effort to tidy things up a bit (don’t know how exactly that would be done), but I’m guessing that’s not in the cards anytime soon.

62. HamBurghlar says: Dec 4, 2009 9:14 AM

@Deb: Great call.. “only when you stop hating is when I will start worrying”… The whine and cheese party and ALL THE TEARS sustain us Steeler fans..
    @chapnasty: Shhhhh… your douche is too loud, turn it down.

63. Kevin from Philly says: Dec 4, 2009 9:43 AM

Call Goodell! Ben was hurt by Wards comments, and it’s NOT ON THE INJURY REPORT!!!!!!!

64. shaunypoo says: Dec 4, 2009 9:47 AM

I liked the comment rating system, I think that actually helped people to understand that a majority of others didn’t like their post.

65. Bill Cowher's Chin says: Dec 4, 2009 11:15 AM

# steelerfanforlife says: December 3, 2009 10:53 PM
    Come on over to the dark side we would love to have you!
    _____________________________________
    LOL, that pretty much sums it up right there folks, a Steelers fan just admitted that they are all on the band wagon, and they welcome any and all to their wagon……..

66. Deb says: Dec 4, 2009 11:27 AM

@dale …
    I know you’re trying to be provocative and hoping to be validated by some serious shredding, but I’ll just refer you to the quiet wisdom of mnmaverick:
    “The PFT Crew has a great thing going here. A place where fans can have laidback fun while shooting the breeze on the greatest sport in the world.”
    Breathe. Just breathe.

67. The Rural Juror says: Dec 4, 2009 1:43 PM

So now Ben’s a fat, SENSITIVE, rapist?

68. Beer Cheese Soup says: Dec 4, 2009 5:25 PM

Love the “Waah.. everyone hates me!” banter from the Steelers wagon.
    First, you don’t have the most rings. Second, you didn’t win your last two rings yourselves anyway, which is why people ACTUALLY hate your team, not for the reasons you wish they did.
    Also, Deb- Why does such an outspoken feminist like yourself watch programming which has been proven in studies to be specifically designed to prey on women’s insecurities and negatively affect their self-image? I just lost a little bit of respect for you there.
    I’ll finally get back on topic. Why the media is suddenly attempting to paint Roethlisberger as a crybaby is beyond me. He’s proven his toughness numerous times, why is it such a bad thing that he actually take care of himself after suffering a major injury? Are they upset that he killed their ratings for the game by watching Dixon start? That’s all I can figure.
    Hines is a loudmouthed passive-aggressive punkass, on AND off the field, but Ben’s never done anything negative except for the occasional bout of stupidity, and sitting out after a concussion didn’t make that list either. This is a non-story without a doubt. However, at least with most non-stories, the media has an agenda, or reason to be pushing them. I really don’t get why this one continues to surface at all.

69. Deb says: Dec 4, 2009 6:22 PM

Soup to Nuts!!!!
    There you are!! And just when PFT was starting to get boring!!
    Now, Hannibal, don’t fret. Lifetime acquired me when it acquired Project Runway, a program about creativity and entrepreneurship that does not prey on women’s insecurities. In fact, this year for the first time all three finalists were women. I am not into victim-of-the-week movies, if that’s your concern. You needn’t deduct points for non-football viewing habits :-)
    Did they give out rings in the old championship days or did that begin with the Super Bowl era? If it began with the Super Bowl era, then, yes, we do have the most. If not, then I’ll defer to our historical predecessors. But we still have the most Lombardis.
    Wonders never cease … we agree wholeheartedly on Roethlisberger. And since we’ll never agree on our Super Bowls or Hines (have you met him off the field?), let’s just leave it there for tonight. I have online Christmas shopping to do.
    Of course, the media has an agenda: page clicks and ratings. Remaining relevant. Whatever keeps us coming back, tuning in, and commenting. You know that.

70. Beer Cheese Soup says: Dec 5, 2009 11:28 AM

Oh, Project Runway. I had heard good things about that actually. Fair enough. Consider your points reapplied.
    Kind of strange though, they move it to Lifetime, a womens network, and suddenly, for the first time ever, all the finalists are.. women. Quite a coincidence that is. I can’t really cry foul on things I didn’t watch though, so I won’t bother.
    Enjoy your shopping.

71. Deb says: Dec 5, 2009 12:42 PM

@Beer Cheese …
    Nah, don’t read anything into the three women finalists. The show is independently produced and Lifetime and Bravo were still wrangling over it in court when the season was filmed. Those three were, by far, the best of the lot this year. Didn’t care for the winner, but she deserved it.
    You see conspiracies everywhere, don’t you? :-)

72. Siggy00 says: Dec 9, 2009 1:44 AM

Um, here’s the complete quote. A quote that seems to be missing from this gossip site:
    Jory Rand: “Do you find any irony in the fact that Hines is hurt this week?”
    Roethlisberger: “No – I don’t want Hines to be hurt, you know, I want him to be out there playing, but … he can’t play, he can’t play.”
    “Hines will do what’s best for Hines, I’m sure,” Roethlisberger said. “And Limas will be able to step up, as will Mike Wallace, whoever else we decide to put in there, I know it and we’re not going to make any quick decisions on Hines because we know that he still may be out there – I don’t really know what the situation is with him yet.”
    _____________________________
    Not as juicy when one reports the whole story, no?