Vick cozies up to a McNabb hater

When quarterback Mike Vick arrived in Philly, Donovan McNabb went well out of his way to say and do all the right things in an effort to properly welcome him to town (even if McNabb privately was feeling threatened by the development).

Now that Vick’s time with the team is, for all practical purposes, winding to a non-spectacular conclusion, he’s paying McNabb by publicly hanging out with one of Donovan’s most vocal detractors.

Throughout Thursday, ESPN showed images from boxer Bernard Hopkins’ Wednesday night fight.  And there was Vick in the ring with Hopkins, smiling the smile of a guy oblivious to the reality that he left most of his football skills somewhere in the nether regions of Leavenworth.

But Hopkins is a confirmed McNabb hater, bashing the Eagles quarterback for years.

Here’s what Hopkins said last November regarding McNabb, on Comcast SportsNet:  “Some people are athletes, still good, but don’t have that extra ‘I’m
willing to sacrifice my life.  I’m willing to sacrifice what I have to
sacrifice to win.’ . . .  People never forgot when things happen, they see a
guy crumble under pressure.  Whether they throw up on the highway,
whether they throw up on the court, whether they throw up on the
football field
, when people see that, that sticks in the back of their
mind.”

In June, Hopkins predicted that, because of McNabb, the Eagles would win seven games this year.  “He don’t have the heart,” Hopkins said.  “He don’t want to fail so he don’t want to try.”

There’s a chance that McNabb doesn’t care whether Vick hangs out with Hopkins or T.O. or anyone else who might not like McNabb.  (Says Mama McNabb, “How could anyone not like him?”)  But there’s also a chance that McNabb — who reportedly wanted (and apparently got) a “financial apology” after he was benched for one half of one game in 2008 — does care about the perception created by Vick chumming it up with a guy who has made clear his negative opinions regarding a quarterback who went out on a limb to roll out the red carpet for Vick.

Permalink 57 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Philadelphia Eagles, Rumor Mill, Sprint Football Live - Rumors, Top Stories
57 Responses to “Vick cozies up to a McNabb hater”
  1. Hap says: Dec 3, 2009 5:19 PM

Woah. Cheap shot at the end there, Flo.
    I’m willing to bet that Vick doesn’t know about McScabb/Hopkins drama.

2. chapnasty says: Dec 3, 2009 5:19 PM

Nice dig for a story and nice job getting 100 comments because this isn’t even a story. This is just you trying to get us Vick haters to go at it with the Vick supporters.
    I am challenging every Eagle/McNabb/Vick fan to not talk trash about them. As a hater of all 3 of the above mentioned I will not say one thing to spark and argument to any of you. Let’s stick it to Lord Florio on this one.

3. Youngone says: Dec 3, 2009 5:20 PM

“And there was Vick in the ring with Hopkins, smiling the smile of a guy oblivious to the reality that he left most of his football skills somewhere in the nether regions of Leavenworth.”
    Classic Florio hate

4. JetGreeeen says: Dec 3, 2009 5:21 PM

Florio……one of my “sources” told me that Mangini was the real architech of the dog fighting scandal. See if you can’t post something up on that??

5. paranoidandroid says: Dec 3, 2009 5:21 PM

2 QBs with a big bag of nothin. I don’t feel sorry for either one. McNabb came close but never got it and Vick will never get it, the trophy that is. As much as I dislike the eagles I’d like to see Kolb out there. He looks like he has some class, at least I can respect him.

6. Nathan says: Dec 3, 2009 5:22 PM

dude you’re ridiculous

7. The Real Shuxion says: Dec 3, 2009 5:23 PM

When I read the headline I thought Vick and Vox went out for a pizza.

8. reckdd12 says: Dec 3, 2009 5:24 PM

and we care about this why?????
    worst. blog entry. ever.

9. Nathan says: Dec 3, 2009 5:25 PM

you’re like danny devito in la confidential

10. Whiterhino says: Dec 3, 2009 5:26 PM

Cue Mike Florio, who will try and spin ANYTHING into a “Will Donovan McNabb be angry about this and purposefully tank the team OMGZ!?” story.

11. ocollins says: Dec 3, 2009 5:28 PM

Mike Florio,
    For the last couple of months I read your website a couple times a day every day. I love football and cant get enough, so when I found it I thought I was in an insider’s heaven. But now I just think you are a racist asshole and bigot. For someone who writes about football for a living you sure love to create needless controversy and have this underlying attitude of disdain for the sport in your writing. Get another job, looser.
    Otis

12. Bigbluefan says: Dec 3, 2009 5:29 PM

Vick is a Scum Bag and no matter how many times Tony Dungy talks to him he will always be a scum bag
    I would love the chance to get him one on one but since I know that will never happen I can hope in two weeks he gets hurt in the Meadowlands
    I do not wish any player harm but I do not think of PRICK as a player he is a insult to all the young men who work so hard to hone there skills to play in the NFL

13. nfcbeast says: Dec 3, 2009 5:29 PM

Vick is gone after this year so what.

14. PPinDC says: Dec 3, 2009 5:29 PM

This “story” is a perfect example of how far PFT has fallen. It used to be an excellent site to come and get scoop on the happenings and inner workings of the NFL. Now it’s a blog with links to newspapers and Youtube, and usually filler tripe similar to this.

15. Joe in Toronto, Canada says: Dec 3, 2009 5:30 PM

No, say it ain’t so. Vick’s not a team player?
    The Eagles decided to sign this turd, so it’s on them.

16. Vaxman says: Dec 3, 2009 5:37 PM

Dear god… Leave the dog comments alone already…

17. penguininbondage says: Dec 3, 2009 5:42 PM

Donnie in the Dirt knows Vick will be gone after the season so I doubt he really cares.
    Though it wouldn’t surprise me if he said something to Reid like ” What do you think about our boy hanging out with a thug like Hopkins?” “You know he’s a convicted felon too?”

18. Opie says: Dec 3, 2009 5:44 PM

“Spoon” Florio, just keep stirring the pot.
    I hope W.Va gets the death penalty for cheating………or your PFT bus blows a gasket while it’s snowing and you’re 8 miles from the nearest exit……..just far enough to see how much “heart” you got……

19. Rickah99 says: Dec 3, 2009 5:45 PM

Hmmm Bernard Hopkins predicts the Eagles will win 7 games this year…the man’s a psychic!
    Who cares about Vick…folks, get over Mike Vick…he’s tradebait for next season! That’s all!

20. CapsLockKey says: Dec 3, 2009 5:45 PM

I was expecting to see Vick hanging out with Rush Limbaugh from the headline.

21. MarkNickolas says: Dec 3, 2009 5:51 PM

What an absurd and concocted story in hopes of creating a controversy. Florio has learned too well from his breathren in the media how to manufacture controversy to feed the 24-hour news cycle. Shame on you.

22. Eric Kidd says: Dec 3, 2009 5:54 PM

BA-ZIIINNG….

23. meezle says: Dec 3, 2009 6:01 PM

Stop it, this is dumb and a non story

24. HappyBunny says: Dec 3, 2009 6:03 PM

Darn misleading title… I was expecting to read a story about Vick and Rush Limbaugh hanging out.

25. mustbechris says: Dec 3, 2009 6:07 PM

I wish I could offer something more insightful than “this article sucks”, but this article sucks.

26. KILLADELPHIA says: Dec 3, 2009 6:16 PM

McNabb would knock B-Hop out…

27. Bender12 says: Dec 3, 2009 6:16 PM

I’m sure people are going to bash Hopkins but the man is a straight up Philadelphia legend . One of the most intelligent, tactical, and clutch human beings i’ve seen compete in sport. Being there to see a 44 year old Hopkins smack around a 27 year world champion who was knocking out everybody he faced was amazing. Hopkins knows heart. Should stick to what he is good at and keep the football commentary to himself, but Hopkins’ heart is why he went unbeaten for 10 years facing all comers.
    Hopkins came out of jail and made himself a boxing legend. Vick is coming out of jail and trying to have a career again. I’m sure Vick respects that that since he has the prison stigmata.

28. Bwa Ha Ha says: Dec 3, 2009 6:19 PM

Vick was a gamble, a low risk gamble that didn’t pay out. Whatever he thinks of McNabb means nothing.
    The Eagles have a chance to move on for a new third, or maybe second QB, depending on what happens with McNabb for next season. Who cares who Vick hangs with?

29. The Notorious V.I.C. says: Dec 3, 2009 6:26 PM

===”And there was Vick in the ring with Hopkins, smiling the smile of a guy oblivious to the reality that he left most of his football skills somewhere in the nether regions of Leavenworth”===
    Maybe he should’ve been looking all dejected, kinda like Dennis Dixon after the Baltimore game. After all, that “would show that he has the type of drive necessary to fulfill his football skills to their maximum ability” (I hope I quoted your drivel correctly).
    Florio, you are an ABSOLUTE JOKE.

30. JunkYardDogg1156 says: Dec 3, 2009 6:26 PM

Mike Vick has been full of it since being released. He said what he was coached to say but he never really had remorse for torturing & sadistically killing all those animals that wouldn’t fight. And for what?? he did it all for his personal entertainment.
    As for him hanging around with a McNabb hater, are we really surprised? Everything with MV is an act, a ruse & just a bunch of BS. Wonder if he’s still strangling puppies with his bare hands & getting off on it…

31. dlschwa says: Dec 3, 2009 6:28 PM

Is Vick really expected to keep track of McNabb haters and avoid them? Honestly, how is this even a story? This is elementary school stuff.

32. MdEagle says: Dec 3, 2009 6:29 PM

I’m sorry, did my page just click to the National Enquirer, I thought I was on PFT.com?
    This is tabloid material or something 14 yr old girls gossip about..
    I mean, the guy killed dogs, if McNabb can get over that, then he can get over Vick hanging out with Hopkins and his North Philly mush brain.

33. deymond says: Dec 3, 2009 6:31 PM

So basically, according to you, Vick shouldn’t hang out with anyone who has been an Eagles fan this decade.

34. chunky soupy sales says: Dec 3, 2009 6:33 PM

In my opinion, Vick would cozy up to Hitler if it got his face in the news. He has always looked out or himself and himself only.

35. Marc F says: Dec 3, 2009 6:39 PM

“And by “red carpet,” we don’t mean the blood-stained rug that was found by police in one of the buildings behind Vick’s rural property in Virginia.”
    wow..
    you guys find new and astounding ways to sink (stink) to new lows every day.
    get a life. isn’t there anything more going on in football than who Mike Vick hangs out with?

36. DJSlyBri says: Dec 3, 2009 6:42 PM

I don’t think one has to do with another. I wouldn’t be surprised if Vick didn’t even know about Hopkins ripping McNabb. I am sure Vick knows now.
    In any event, I don’t think McNabb is one bit worried about Vick.

37. MarkNickolas says: Dec 3, 2009 6:46 PM

Stupid posts like this one is the surest way to lose an audience. It simply kills your credibility as a serious news source and moves you into the land of tabloids and not worthy of visiting much.
    Not suprisingly, the more attention this site has been getting, the more trash posts we’ve been forced to suffer through, not to mention all the silly snark that accompanies them.

38. PDXPanther says: Dec 3, 2009 6:46 PM

Hopkins can shut his mouth, him and Vick both have the same thing in common by spending time in the lock up.

39. Ben Bernanke says: Dec 3, 2009 6:47 PM

Might be over reacting a little.

40. WashingtonRedstorms says: Dec 3, 2009 6:54 PM

Vick and Eric Mangini will be property of the Raiders next season.

41. braczey29 says: Dec 3, 2009 7:40 PM

Well, McNabb did choke in the Super Bowl by literally choking up his Campbells chunky while the end of the game was in the balance. McNabb could barely move around and was gasping for air like he hadn’t prepared physically. Now, I must agree that there’s something to what Hopkins is saying about him mentally being scared to let it rip instead when it counts. Last January, he picked up the phone to call Bernard Hopkins apparently – but did it on the sidelines of the Cardinals during his latest NFC championship L . Maybe he called his agent, got a paid apology from Andy and continues to be not good enough. He can ball okay – he’s athletic with an accurate cannon arm but he just won’t shoot his gun in the clutch. For an array of other reasons, he rarely gets drafted in legit fantasy leagues too. Once upon a time, T.O. stood tall, on his broken ankle and collected over one-hundred yards receiving in that same Super Bowl and now he’s long gone for poking at poor Donovan. Barf..

42. hayward giablommi says: Dec 3, 2009 7:41 PM

Vick and Hopkins are both vile subhumans. No surprise there.

43. eaglesfan1112 says: Dec 3, 2009 7:47 PM

Mcnabb has class, Vick has never changed, will never change. Self centered, no soul.

44. nfcbeast says: Dec 3, 2009 7:51 PM

Vick – ” So is it just as satisfying beating a person ? ”
    Hopkins – ” You’d love it, they make ‘yelping’ sounds when you hit em low “

45. straverse says: Dec 3, 2009 7:52 PM

Who cares. Vick is terrible and obviously washed up.

46. Twiz says: Dec 3, 2009 7:56 PM

I guess Vick is not allowed to have friends of his own choosing.
    Lord Florio, who do you think Vick’s friends should be?

47. natelan says: Dec 3, 2009 8:09 PM

I still can’t believe Vick is actually playing in the NFL again. It still hasn’t sunken-in for me.
    I just could have sworn that there was a rule somewhere in the NFL rule books that says if you tie another living mammal to a tree and suffocate and beat it to a miserable and degrading ending, that you don’t get to play anymore football games for money. Maybe for cigarettes, top ramen and rights to the top bunk in your cell, but not in the damned NFL, making 1 million dollars a year.
    I have vowed to never buy another NFL game ticket, NFL apparel or merchandise, or otherwise, until Vick is out of the game.
    He is filthy, dirty, disgusting trash (which is why he fits-in so nicely in Philadelphia).
    A leopard never changes its spots, when will people finally get it?

48. eaglesfan1112 says: Dec 3, 2009 8:17 PM

Vick has no loyalty, why did people step up for him? He would not do it for them. All he cares about is himself

49. 46&2 says: Dec 3, 2009 8:26 PM

Dude he just went to a boxing match. I’d be smiling if I was ringside at Hopkins too.
    Florio, quit reaching man. it used to be when we would talk to our friends about stuff we read here, we sounded smart. now we just sound like drama queens.
    you dont care obviously because your traffic is through the roof but you come across as an obsessive compulsive whose paycheck increases signficantly based on amount of posts ; not quality (nowhere near it) posts. Even Rosenthall does your job better than you. at least he’s just a homer for his teams. you are a hair splitting drama creating hit/comment pimp.

50. mskrs says: Dec 3, 2009 8:26 PM

ocollins said: “Mike Florio,
    Otis”
    ————————–
    If you think he’s bad now – you should have been around 2-3 years ago (or maybe as recently as a year ago). His “bigotry” is/was only part of it – can you believe he exuded even more of a narcissistic superiority-complex in the past? Would you believe me when I say that – in general – he’s really toned his pomposity down? (I don’t know if he got with “image consultants”, or what.)
    This site is almost the first example that comes to mind when I think about how my Internet addiction has caused me to sell my soul to Satan. If I had more discipline and willpower, I probably would have been out of here, too (especially after a specific incident in which he may have crossed the line….). I cringe at how my “hits” have contributed to his lining his pockets with sponsor dollars.
    Well, at least I can say that I don’t come here as often as I used to, and spend less time here. I wish you better luck as you exorcise this demon from your life.
    I wasn’t phased by this gossip piece nearly as much as I’ve been irritated by past writings – such as his recent display of a certain double-standard when it came to writing about Sam Bradford’s situation vs. Dez Bryant’s. With Sam Bradford, Florio said that Sam would have made a wise decision to capitalize on his “marketable skills” by leaving school early. Yet, when Dez Bryant made the decision to capitalize on his marketable skills by leaving school early (in the wake of the NCAA’s ridiculous ruling) – Florio cynically characterized Dez’s decision as a “money grab”. Was this a double-standard based on the skin-color of the athletes (as well as the skin-color of their prospective agents)? Quite possibly.
    Btw, Vick’s buddy-status with this “McNabb Hater” might be pure coincidence, but I wouldn’t be surprised if it is not 100% coincidence. I’ve seen/read evidence that, just beneath their “friendly relationship”, lurks some competitive tension, at the very least (especially on Vick’s part toward McNabb). I don’t feel like hunting for the quote, but at at least one point, Vick publically said some things that suggested that he was envious of McNabb’s better fortune in his career/life.

51. VoxVeritas says: Dec 3, 2009 8:33 PM

“When I read the headline I thought Vick and Vox went out for a pizza.”
    If that were to happen he’d never make it home.

52. nfcbeast says: Dec 3, 2009 8:41 PM

Eh, Vick is gonna be playing somewhere else next year, doesn’t matter what the city is like. I’m hoping he goes to the ritziest, gayest fancy town possible….LA is getting a team right?

53. Hooby says: Dec 3, 2009 8:50 PM

or maybe vick is just trying to sign him to his stable of fighters…yes, hes moved to illegal humanfighting. he just has nothing to do with his time.

54. SmackMyVickUp says: Dec 3, 2009 8:57 PM

Vick has no loyalties except to himself and the lawyer trying to settle his $20 million bankruptcy case. Once the case is settled it is just him of course.
    Hope he has another 10 years of sub par football in him, it will take that or more at $2 mil a year to pay his debt off. Funniest thing is that had nothing to do with his dog fighting ring, all debt accrued being a high roller.
    Vick Bounty

55. slipkid says: Dec 3, 2009 9:01 PM

shux, they really snuggled up and called for a pizza to be delivered.

56. Route36West says: Dec 3, 2009 11:38 PM

Its funny Florio you keep trashing Vick for the dog thing but isnt that how you make your money too? Not by actually killing dogs but by continuely writing about it. Your just as bad as him b/c your exploiting those dogs as much as he did. You also wouldnt be making jokes about it if you really cared about dog fighting. You just have to act like it bothers you b/c your in the bussiness of entertaining and if you didnt act that way it would hurt your bottom line.
    I cant even say your grasping at straws with this story its more like your grasping at toothpicks. And know not the tooth picks you use to hold up that ridicolous hair.

57. Joe in Toronto, Canada says: Dec 4, 2009 6:17 AM

You morons calling Florio a racist are a joke.
    Keep walking around with that chip on your shoulder, you’ll get real far in life, NOT!