Osi Umenyiora appears to be demoted

The New York Giants are making big changes in order to fix their struggling defense.

The NFL Network first reported that the Giants are likely to sit defensive end Osi Umenyiora on clear running downs. On Friday, Umenyiora worked with the second team defense.

Mathias Kiwanuka will replace him in the starting lineup. The Broncos repeatedly ran at Umenyiora with great success on Thanksgiving night.

Umenyiora isn’t the only player that has been demoted. Former Cowboy Chris Canty is practicing ahead of Fred Robbins at defensive tackle.  Canty has struggled to get healthy this season or he likely would have been starting earlier.

We also wrote earlier this week that Jonathan Goff is expected to take over for Chase Blackburn at middle linebacker.  Goff is known as a physical presence.

All of these moves look aimed at creating a stronger run defense.  Defensive coordinator Bill Sheridan, who is taking plenty of heat in New York, said the defense isn’t playing physical enough. Umenyiora is likely to be a huge part of the team’s pass rush.

We give the Giants coaching staff credit for attempting to fix the problem, because what they were doing clearly wasn’t working.

Permalink 37 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: New York Giants, Rumor Mill, Sprint Football Live - Rumors, Top Stories
37 Responses to “Osi Umenyiora appears to be demoted”
  1. PolegoJim says: Dec 4, 2009 2:24 PM

Both are coming off tough injuries and are not themselves, but kudos to NYG for doing something until they’re back at full strength.

2. penguininbondage says: Dec 4, 2009 2:26 PM

Ugly situation

3. Bill In DC says: Dec 4, 2009 2:29 PM

What downs are ‘clearly running downs”?

4. barking mad says: Dec 4, 2009 2:44 PM

it’s ok, wangnuts still love him

5. Bill In DC says: Dec 4, 2009 2:54 PM

“The NFL Network first reported that the Giants are likely to sit defensive end Osi Umenyiora on clear running downs. ”
    What’s a clear running down? I can understand what a clear passing down is, like 3rd & 10, but ‘clear running down’? what would that be?

6. VoxVeritas says: Dec 4, 2009 3:14 PM

Wow, a coaching staff trying to fix a glaring problem, give them a cookie. One cookie between them all.

7. CowboysGiantsRedskinsSuck says: Dec 4, 2009 3:22 PM

Giants are has been scrubs who had 1 lucky catch. Go back to new jersey…

8. jkorn1818 says: Dec 4, 2009 3:39 PM

As a giants fan, I’ll be the first to say, ABOUT TIME. He clearly hasnt recovered fully from his knee injury and has had tons of issues stopping the run this year.
    same with robbins, he had major knee surgery during the offseason and hasnt recovered as well.
    “The Broncos repeatedly ran at Umenyiora with great success on Thanksgiving night.”
    ok, Borat ghostwriting for PFT now.

9. jkorn1818 says: Dec 4, 2009 3:43 PM

CowboysGiantsRedskinsSuck says:
    December 4, 2009 3:22 PM
    Giants are has been scrubs who had 1 lucky catch. Go back to new jersey…
    ___________________________________
    What were the eagles lucky catch? Your post is stupid..

10. cantgetenough says: Dec 4, 2009 3:54 PM

jkorn, lol.

11. CowboysGiantsRedskinsSuck says: Dec 4, 2009 4:00 PM

“What were the eagles lucky catch?”
    I don’t think I have enough time to breakdown the flawed English in this sentence.

12. mooremi9 says: Dec 4, 2009 4:01 PM

jkorn1818 says:
    December 4, 2009 3:43 PM
    What were the eagles lucky catch? Your post is stupid..
    +++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    Freddie “Fred-Ex” Mitchell 4th and 19.

13. mikecocosis says: Dec 4, 2009 4:02 PM

” go back to new jersey”? they are in nj dumba$$.

14. CowboysGiantsRedskinsSuck says: Dec 4, 2009 4:04 PM

@jkorn:
    I also am unsure of what “..” is? Did you feel the need to end your sentence twice, or are you just that stupid that you don’t understand how an ellipse (…) works? You can also go back to the trash dump of new jersey.

15. GoBrowns19 says: Dec 4, 2009 4:10 PM

A better way of saying it is that he’ll only play on obvious passing downs.

16. Levito says: Dec 4, 2009 4:13 PM

Freddie “Fred-Ex” Mitchell 4th and 19.

17. CowboysGiantsRedskinsSuck says: Dec 4, 2009 4:17 PM

“go back to new jersey” refers to the fact that their state is a trash-dump and every dump I’ve been to has not had wireless internet. Therefore, I’m assuming he isn’t currently in new jersey.
    If you don’t believe re-watch the MTV show from last night. That is just embarrassing…

18. CowboysGiantsRedskinsSuck says: Dec 4, 2009 4:21 PM

Levito=fanboy about to cry over the fact that the giants will miss the playoffs and their future is screwed after shelling out $100mm plus to lockup Eli.
    It’s the NFL and it is all about “what have you done for me lately”.
    Going by that, the Eagles beat you in the playoffs last year and dominated you in the game this year.
    Get over yourselves.

19. eric12401 says: Dec 4, 2009 4:26 PM

CGRS: Why are you whining about everyone’s grammar when you clearly have some issues of your own? “new jersey” is supposed to be “New Jersey.” Or are you going to say that since it’s a dump, it doesn’t deserve to be written the correct way?
    Anyways, good for the Giants that they’re finally trying to solve their defensive woes. I’m still amazed at how they’re in the top 5 in defense. NYG fan here myself, and I still have a tiny glimmer of hope that we hand the L’s to Dallas and Philly, should be some well, fought out battles.

20. jrillah10 says: Dec 4, 2009 4:35 PM

Hasn’t recovered yet. Give me a break! He was never that great. He had 13.5 sacks one year and 7 were against the Eagles Winston Justice. That means 6.5 in 15 games! WOW! Over-Rated!!!!! I’ll give him the 14 a few years back, but he had 4 2 sack games. That would account for 6 in 14 games It’s nice to get get blocked 1 on 1 when you have Strahan (2 years ago) and Tuck on the other side. Have fun ridin the pine, PUNK!!! Not that good!!!! Never was!!!

21. promin1 says: Dec 4, 2009 4:41 PM

CowboysGiantsRedskinsSuck says: December 4, 2009 4:17 PM
    “go back to new jersey” refers to the fact that their state is a trash-dump ”
    Someone from Philly calling another place a dump!! That is hilarious. That is how you know every Philly fan is a two bit retard that has an IQ of 10.

22. jtigrrrr says: Dec 4, 2009 4:44 PM

CowboysGiantsRedskinsSuck >>
    You and your ground skimming qb havn’t ever won anything… you cant win anything important just like Dallas.
    Manning won a SB and MVP… He also led them to beat Tampa, Dallas, Green Bay on the way. Where were the eagles? Oh yeah.
    It’s obvious that eagle fans have no recall, so you needed to be reminded.

23. Mavpa says: Dec 4, 2009 4:53 PM

If society collapses into some kind of Mad Max ruin and all records of our time are lost, I sincerely hope the comments posted here are lost along with it and not used by people of the future to reconstruct what our society may have been like… lest we all appear to be retards of some degree.

24. jkorn1818 says: Dec 4, 2009 4:57 PM

CowboysGiantsRedskinsSuck says:
    December 4, 2009 4:04 PM
    @jkorn:
    ___________________________________
    I’m actually born and raised in NYC, sorry. I know, I know, thats a dump compared to philly. Nice try though, the Jersey reference, your cute little segue to the MTV show. That was lame and everyone knew it was coming. My grammar was actually fine, professor. When did i end my sentence twice and why are you sitting on a Giants thread posting so much? Get a grip. By the way, why are you in NJ looking for wireless internet? “EVERY dump I’ve been to” You sound like so much fun, bringing your laptop everywhere you go and then tearing off your reading glasses in disgust when you can’t access the internet. PA has it all, posting like an angry nerd in a closet at a Motel 6 in lancaster. Does Hershey Park have wireless connection? WiFi boy.
    “Going along with your grammar, what were the giants going to do this year while sitting at home without making the playoffs?”
    And you mention my grammar? What were the giants go to do? Don’t you mean what ARE the giants going to do? I hear a few strip malls in NJ have awesome wireless connection, maybe you can make a trip down there Sat or Sun. Let us all know how it went.

25. CowboysGiantsRedskinsSuck says: Dec 4, 2009 4:58 PM

Eric,
    Correct, “new jersey” does not deserve capitalization because it doesn’t deserve recognition as a state or part of our country.
    I doubt these changes really do much to help their defense. And their defense is only ranked 4th in yards per game, which hardly tells the full story about a unit. They are:
    20th in interceptions
    19th in sacks
    28th in points allowed per game
    It doesn’t matter how many yards you give up if you give up more points than you can score.
    With all of that said, I hope you beat the Cowboys so the Eagles move into first in the division.

26. mattitude says: Dec 4, 2009 4:58 PM

@CowboysGiantsRedskinsSuck
    Whoa, whoa, whoa, whoa. Let’s be specific when you talk about what parts of New Jersey are trash dumps. I’ll assume you are an Eagles fan. Half of the team lives in South Jersey, which is at least and hour and 1/2 drive from the fist bumping scene that you and I both loathe.

27. Route36West says: Dec 4, 2009 4:59 PM

Its a little far fetched but do you think its possible that the Giants have too Much talent in their front seven and thats causing their problems up front. I was just thinking maybe Sheridan is trying to hard to get all of his guys time on the field and even tho a rotation is usaully looked at as a good thing on defense maybe to big a rotation isnt good. I know everyone talks about having a cohesive o-line and that its a big part of a teams offensive success but it seems like the Giants are proving that its needed on the defense as well.
    Im an Eagles fan so you know it pains me to talk about how good the Giants line is but its true. Their is no reason why a defense so talented shouldnt be getting pressure on the qb or stopping the running game.
    I think its mostly on Sheridan he seems like he doesnt know how to handle having so many great players. He reminds me of a highschool coach who is trying to get everyone minutes. It seems like he is more interested in calling plays that he likes then to matching his defense against what he thinks the offense is going to do. You guys are really missing Spags this year. So are the Eagles if we had him instead of McDermmott the Eagles would be a totally different team.
    Also everyone who is questioning Osi right now needs to layoff. Everytime a qb blows out his leg we hear how it takes 2 full years to get his legs back under him. But b/c hes not a qb we dont hear anyone giving him that excuse. IMO the 2 year rule is more important to a defensive end then a qb. Pass rushers like Osi need that explosiveness of the ball in order to get sacks or chase a rb down. All qbs need to do is drop back and push off. Qbs legs arent needed nearly as much as they are for DE’s. So everyone give the man a break. Wait until he gets his explosiveness back and hes fully healed then you will see how much a difference a year can make.
    I hope Im wrong with the whole Osi thing tho. Hopefully the knee injury took something away from his game and he lost a step. But Im pretty sure Im right about him and that sucks.

28. Tomb says: Dec 4, 2009 5:06 PM

Mathias Kiwanuka then signed Osi’s forehead and laughed.

29. bigblue21 says: Dec 4, 2009 5:13 PM

CowboysGiantsRedskinsSuck .
    This guy is funny a philly fan talking smack when they have NO titles. what an a**hole.

30. jan van flac says: Dec 4, 2009 5:24 PM

The Giants’ main problem is that the run game isn’t working.
    Manning is ok but not great enough to carry the team on his back.

31. ERock says: Dec 4, 2009 5:46 PM

Philly is twice the dump as NJ. They should change your name to Filthadelphia Seagulls. Seagulls are like rats to me, lowest form on earth, kinda like your fans.

32. redsquare says: Dec 4, 2009 5:51 PM

Sounds like the Giants are in a tough spot–having to make all these changes to shore up the run defense, when the likely NFC playoff contenders (Saints, Eagles, Cowboys, Cardinals, Vikings) can kill you through the air. Good luck to them–they’ll need it.

33. Abe71 says: Dec 4, 2009 5:51 PM

Actually, the Giants inability to stop the run has been there since week 2 when the Cowboys ran something like 250+ yards on them. The fact that Romo handed them the game made the Giants look better than what they really are especially since the other 4 teams they beat have losing records. As a Cowboys fan I don’t take anything away from this week’s match-up against the G-men as everyone knows records mean nothing when you have 2-divisional arch rivals that absolutely hate each other. This should make for a very interesting and exciting game and no doubt I’ll be at th edge of my seat watching it all hoping the Cowboys can come out with a win but even more than that, that they change their December woes, make it to the playoffs with at least 1 win…..I’m a fan but I don’t believe they can win it all with Saints, Colts and Vikes playing like they are.

34. Bigbluefan says: Dec 4, 2009 6:03 PM

Hey Philly PUKE
    Will be in section 130 come look for me I will be wearing the Giants hat with 3 SB logos on
    Or are you another of those row house dwellers who sit on the front porch on Sundays with the TV wishing they could pack up and move the hell across the river
    Only parts of Jersey that are a dump are the ones that are over run by the SCUM from Filthy

35. Rickah99 says: Dec 4, 2009 6:08 PM

CowboysGiantsRedskinsSuck = Vox Veritas!
    Geeez this guy is such a trolling moron! He does this to rile up the fans of all the other teams in the division. What a loser!
    Don’t worry when Dallas does their annual swoon, he’ll….*poof*….disappear!

36. BradyGazelle says: Dec 4, 2009 6:30 PM

I bet Osi is really down in the dumps.

37. CowboysGiantsRedskinsSuck says: Dec 7, 2009 10:16 AM

@Rickah99
    If I were a Cowboys fan then why would my name state that they suck?? Since you apparently can’t read, I will flat out say it: I’m an Eagles fan. Thanks for the win. When we beat you next week we will have the division.
    That is all… moron.