Bernard Berrian joins the 100-mile-an-hour club

Running back Adrian Peterson isn’t the only Vikings player to recently be nabbed driving his car in excess of 100 miles per hour.

The Minneapolis Star Tribune reports that, on Monday night, receiver Bernard Berrian was busted for going 104 in a 60-mph zone.

Berrian was stopped at 9:38 p.m. local time.

We know that plenty of Vikings players secretly (or, in the case of guys like Steve Hutchinson and Sage Rosenfels, openly) are members of PFT Planet.  So let me talk directly to you men for a second.  (Don’t worry — no one else is reading this.)

Please click this link and read this article from the Sports Illustrated vault regarding a trio of NFL players who died during the 1992 offseason.

One of them was Eagles defensive tackle Jerome Brown.

“He had a weakness for Corvettes, one of which he totaled on a Florida highway in his junior year at Miami,” Rick Reilly wrote.  (Well, there goes our vow to never read another thing Reilly has written, which arose from the fact that he was one of the writers of Leatherheads, the single worst football movie of all time.)  “He walked away from that accident unscratched, but he apparently did not take the hint — maybe because he had a need for speed.  Brown once recalled that the first time he drove a car was with his father on a highway.  The traffic was doing about 75 mph, it was raining, and his dad was yelling, ‘Hit the gas!  Hit the gas!  Boy, you don’t hit the gas, and I ain’t gonna let you drive no more!’  Said Brown, ‘I hit it and ain’t slowed down since.’”

Guys — especially those of you with wives and/or children — we’re begging you.  Slow down.  At a time when the NFL has has developed a full-blown case of OCD regarding the effect of an in-game knock to the noggin on a players’ long-term health and well-being, driving 100-plus mph on a regular basis is the easiest way to trigger a much more serious impact to your long-term (and short-term) ability to live a productive life.

Or, you know, to live at all.

Permalink 59 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Legal, Minnesota Vikings, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
59 Responses to “Bernard Berrian joins the 100-mile-an-hour club”
  1. vikings rule says: Dec 5, 2009 8:13 AM

WTF dude? you’ve never driven 120MPH? from lawyer to Sunday school teacher…give it a break

2. effs420 says: Dec 5, 2009 8:17 AM

you gotta be kidding me…i’m a vikes fan but damn smarten up fellas
    people speed around the TC but 100 plus is ridiculous…this could be a good way to screw up a good season and, even worse, maybe your life or someone else’s
    and Bob Nelson, there was no snow or ice on the roads Monday either…don’t even try your stupid garbage again…i’m preemptively calling you an idiot right now for whatever nonsense i know you will post since you have an unhealthy obsession with the vikings

3. Tompadre says: Dec 5, 2009 8:21 AM

Wow, no snarky comments by Florio? He’ll plead temporary insanity later.
    Seriously, I agree with your points Mike. Going that fast is only tempting disaster. I worked on a documentary about the “underground” street racing circuit in LA, and heard some horrifying stories where the drivers thought the streets were clear of pedistrians only to find out too late that they weren’t.

4. Joe in Toronto, Canada says: Dec 5, 2009 8:24 AM

I remember Jerome Brown dying like it was yesterday.
    I loved watching that Eagles defense play and Brown was an absolute monster, who was getting better and better when the accident happened.
    What a damn shame.

5. Scott P says: Dec 5, 2009 8:25 AM

We all know how players love to follow the leader and try to out do each other. PLEASE don’t let this be a trend. Does anyone not remember David Wesley?? Yikes.

6. Mike Quick says: Dec 5, 2009 8:25 AM

Take it to the track and do it in a controlled environment if you have that itch in your right leg. After a good day at the track, you’ll drive home like an old lady- doing the speed limit in the right lane. Its a great way to get it out of your system, seriously.

7. Brohamma says: Dec 5, 2009 8:34 AM

I’d like to add to this whole thread based on my time living here in Germany.. AUTOBAHN baby.
    So, before moving over here the whole 55-75mph limit really bugged me, but after living here in Germany and driving on the Autobahns daily.. the fact is, it is NECESSARY for that limit back home in the States. The reason? Quite frankly.. people back home do NOT know how to drive properly.
    Weaving in and out of traffic, passing on the right and not moving to the right on multi-lane roads are a couple major reasons. Another is the ridiculously easy licensing process. Couple all those together and you can see the point. If that doesn’t do it then I would highly recommend living and driving here in Germany, especially driving on the Autobahn’s, to see the difference.
    Once you experience driving over here you will realize just how BAD the drivers back home in the States really are and why that speed limit must remain where it is.

8. cyanide says: Dec 5, 2009 8:35 AM

Why do I get images of Ricky Bobby in my head when I read that flashback?
    These idiots need to slow down.

9. brownsfan1972 says: Dec 5, 2009 8:40 AM

Bravo Mike. I commend you for such a serious article. I can understand these guys love of speed. When you’ve got the kind of money they do and can afford these high priced sports cars that are made to go fast it’s hard to resist……SO JOIN A DAMN CELEBRITY RACE! These idiots aren’t just putting themselves at risk, there putting innocent people at risk. The same people that are basically paying there over priced salaries. By the way, on another note; are you looking to hire someone to proofread your articles, because I would love the job. Your typos are getting ridiculous, ex. “So let me talk directly to you mean for a second.”

10. FireJerryJones says: Dec 5, 2009 8:43 AM

Should change the slogan on the Minnesota plates to:
    “We drive fast and take chances”

11. vikingfan173 says: Dec 5, 2009 8:46 AM

don’t forget about Ben Leber!!!

12. Pyroplastic says: Dec 5, 2009 8:47 AM

Find a nice race track if you find the need to speed. Otherwise, stay off the highways where me, my family and millions of others are trying to go about our daily lives.
    Being a danger to yourself is one thing. Yes, T.O., I’m talking about you so there’s no need to be paranoid. But endangering the lives of others, especially off the field, is unacceptable. The NFL should take action in both cases.

13. JimmySmith says: Dec 5, 2009 8:48 AM

Berrian was signed (overpaid is more like it) to bring speed to the Vikings, little did they know it would show up in his driving.

14. leatherneck says: Dec 5, 2009 8:55 AM

We don’t need another Malik Sealy (Minnesota pro sports basketball player who died in an automobile accident). I’m scared for the Vikings now.

15. SmackMyVickUp says: Dec 5, 2009 8:59 AM

Oooo. Had the article clipped out as a kid. One of Reilly’s few good articles.
    The time you won your town the race
    We chaired you through the market-place;
    Man and boy stood cheering by,
    And home we brought you shoulder-high.
    Today, the road all runners come,
    Shoulder-high we bring you home,
    And set you at your threshold down,
    Townsman of a stiller town.
    —A.E. HOUSMAN
    To an Athlete Dying Young

16. Fire Ted says: Dec 5, 2009 9:00 AM

Rule #1 of being a contender: Don’t be a jackass. Also, how classy of you to put the lives of innocent people not riding with you at risk because you have this juvenile and thuggish sense of entitlement. Nothing a little black ice on an empty stretch I-35 won’t cure.

17. virtualplague says: Dec 5, 2009 9:07 AM

Maybe Favre will go 120 and then crash
    ha ha

18. SmackMyVickUp says: Dec 5, 2009 9:08 AM

Careless players think they are on cloud 9.
    This team is just ripe for an upset.
    Childress doesn’t need to want film of the Saints, he can watch them from the stands.

19. Bob Loblaw says: Dec 5, 2009 9:18 AM

I live in the Twin Cities. These guys going 100 mph shocks me. It’s not Chicago here, where you can drive 90 mph and not be noticed because the average traffic speed in the far left lane is in the mid 80s. Traffic goes a lot slower here with the average speed in the far left lane in the low 70s. Anyone going past 85 mph is going around 25% faster than the next fastest car in the area, so it’s very noticable and very dangerous.
    Also, construction season is shortened due to the weather here and the damage the weather causes on the roads leads to increase in repairs than other places. So the 6-8 months that the conditions are suitable for road construction there’s about twice as much going on as a warm weather location. Of course, the 4-6 months that construction is not suitable due to weather, traffic has to slow down due to icy road conditions.
    In short, this is not a place to drive fast. People aren’t expecting it and may not see you blazing up behind them, and there really aren’t any stretches where high speeds can be maintained due to either construction or other cars driving moderate speeds in the far left lane.

20. Bob Nelson says: Dec 5, 2009 9:22 AM

Another viking endangering the citizens of Minnesota driving well over a hundred on the snow and ic on the roads of Minnesota in December.
    No wonder the public hates the vikings in Minnesota and there is no public support for a real stadium to be built there.
    Most Minnesotans would like to see these criminals removed from the state. They can join the street gangs in LA or elsewhere and do their drag racing there.
    Again the weak and wimpy coach will do nothing about it.

21. packerfanfornot4life says: Dec 5, 2009 9:34 AM

Guys — especially those of you with wives and/or children — we’re begging you. Slow down. At a time when the NFL has has developed a full-blown case of OCD regarding the effect of an in-game knock to the noggin on a players’s long-term health and well-being, driving 100-plus mph on a regular basis is the easiest way to trigger a much more serious impact to your long-term (and short-term) ability to live a productive life. Or, you know, to live at all.
    Uhh don’t forget to think about the other people on the road who have children.

22. Ralph Gre Nader says: Dec 5, 2009 9:36 AM

Way to take a stance Florio…..I Guess.
    What you should have said is……
    “Slow down you egotistical muscle bound brats!”
    Personally, Bernard and Adrian, I couldnt possibly care less whether you wrap your Maserati or Mercedes around a light pole and kill yourself. However, I have two kids under the age of 3 and coincidentally if you plowed your car into the side of ours and anything happened to my children I would hope you survived. Not because Iwould want you to have to live the rest of your life knowing that you harmed two innocent children, because of your need for an adrenaline rush, but instead I wouild want you to survive just so I could finish the job myself.
    GROW UP! If you need an adrenaline rush that bad consider popping a single round into a revolver and playing Russian Roullete

23. Bird Man says: Dec 5, 2009 9:42 AM

Or the other millions of people who drive.

24. Rex Grossman says: Dec 5, 2009 9:46 AM

NFL players do not come on this website for moral direction from Mike Florio. Blogger.

25. scrapdawg12 says: Dec 5, 2009 9:47 AM

Were AP and Berrian racing?

26. Citizen Strange says: Dec 5, 2009 9:48 AM

Bernard “Dingle” Berrian

27. David says: Dec 5, 2009 9:56 AM

Way to go Mike, great post.

28. tleg81 says: Dec 5, 2009 10:05 AM

@ Ralph
    I totally agree, have you seen the movie “law abiding citizen” cause that is what I would do to those spoiled idiots if they hurt anyone I knew because they have to go blow their wads on a highway in their $100,000.00 cars.
    This really makes me mad everytime I read something like this……If I made half as much money as these boners I would never drive a car, unless it was on a track, pay someone else to drive your asses to practice. Obviously they are not intelligent enough to know the dangers of a minor mistake going that fast….but really, they arent intelligent enough to spell their names, let alone drive a car, they did in fact have their college careers handed to them on a platter, and chances are they didnt have to perform in High School either…..so I guess I understant their ignorance

29. stanjam says: Dec 5, 2009 10:33 AM

I have driven 120 on the highway when I was young and stupid. Actually, 120 and drafting a camaro.
    Stupid, stupid, stupid. It is too easy to lose your life that way. All it takes is another driver to make one move, or some sand or oil, and you are toast.
    It is doubly stupid if you have the money to hit a track where you can LEGALLY go over 100 MPH. Guys, buy some track time. Personally, I don’t care if you put your own lives at risk. It is my family I am worried about. You plow into my family at 100+ MPH and you better hope you die in that accident.

30. Bob Nelson is a Whiney Titty Baby says: Dec 5, 2009 10:34 AM

Florio, its’s a tad preachy, but deservedly so.
    Bob, you show more of your true self. In addition to being intolerant of nonChristians, you are a racist. “Street gangs in LA” is code and everyone can see it. It must kill you to see “those people” driving cars you can’t afford. Fortunately, George Preston Marshall is long gone from the NFL or you might have your wish for an all-white team.

31. me so horny says: Dec 5, 2009 11:05 AM

tleg and ralph, you guys are such fags..What because you are rich you should stop being self sufficient and hire a driver to take you everywhere? Im sooooo sure you guys have never sped before either right..Riiiight, ok. I love the armchair quarterback argument by people saying that “if they were rich, theyd do this and that.” Hey man, last time I checked this is still America. I dont wanna hear no bitching about your pedestrian income and talking about how you could make better decisions with your money if you made these dudes salaries. Go out and get rich, and quit sitting on your fat asses bitching.

32. gobearsgo says: Dec 5, 2009 11:35 AM

@Bob Loblaw–first off, can you link me to the Bob Loblaw Law blog? :P
    Second, I agree entirely–I don’t live in MIN, but have traveled there for work. I would drive 5 over and be blasting past people on the road. It blew my mind (I actually came from traveling in Chicago before going to Minneapolis) that nobody drove above the speed limit.
    Ah, for the days when the Vikings kept all their indiscretions to the seas, where they put nobody else at risk…

33. Bob Loblaw says: Dec 5, 2009 11:37 AM

Let me explain something to people who seem to comments without knowing things:
    Both of the instances happended on freeways. There are no pedestrians and no lights. Berrian’s ticket was on a six-lane freeway; Peterson’s on a four-lane. It’s still wrong because there is heavy traffic on both.
    These tickets happened two days apart (the day before and day after the Bears game) and the second happened before the first became public knowledge. So Childress didn’t had a chance to address the first case before the second happened. No one can realistically lay any blame of this on coaching. It’s bad decision by the players.
    Don’t know about where Berrian was going. Peterson was on his way to a team function (hotel check in). Had he been late, that would have been a story too, especially if he was benched at the start of the game like last year. No excuse. He needed to to plan ahead.
    Local police aren’t letting this slide as would be the case in a lot of other places (to all Packer fans feigning outrage over this, you know Green Bay police would let them off with a warning or at least ask for an autograpgh and game tickets in exchange for letting them go). Both guys were ticketed and neither was given a break by having the ticket be 99 mph. And under Minnesota law, they will both lose their license for six months for exceeding 100 mph.

34. Richm2256 says: Dec 5, 2009 11:38 AM

brownsfan1972 says:
    “on another note; are you looking to hire someone to proofread your articles, because I would love the job. Your typos are getting ridiculous”
    You mean like spelling “they’re” as “there”? Twice, no less.
    Yeah, apply for thay proof-reading job, moron.

35. Richm2256 says: Dec 5, 2009 11:40 AM

.. and of course, just as I hit the “submit” button, I see that I myself mis-spelled a word by accident.
    I’m an idiot, don’t listen to me the rest of the day.

36. thisisme says: Dec 5, 2009 11:53 AM

Driving over 100 miles an hour is nothing. Used to do that every day on my way to work in an old T/A. Never had any problem. Of course, I’m not a stupid football player either.

37. BreakingTackles IN P-TOWN says: Dec 5, 2009 11:54 AM

He’s in need of attention 1. Farve 2. AP 3. Jared 4. Percy 5. Sidney 6. Childress all of these fools get more attention on the Vikes that poor little Bernard… Sidney is the new deep threat ask Brett?

38. jeremiah says: Dec 5, 2009 11:56 AM

sounds like berrian is just trying to out do peterson, and maybe get his name some attention since, you know, he is the least productive part of the team, but prolly the most expensive.

39. SpartaChris says: Dec 5, 2009 11:58 AM

@Bob Nelson-
    From one fellow Packer fan to another, your posts are an embarrassment to Packer fans everywhere. Seriously man, give it a rest already. You make all of us look like inbred dweebs who rode the short bus to school.

40. Buttahs says: Dec 5, 2009 12:17 PM

Fact is these guys are going to drive fast, get wasted at clubs, STEROIDS… etc.
    It doesnt matter anymore because there is so much money envolved.
    It’s not just football it’s the entertainment industry as a whole. Money makes people feel above the law, bottom line. The priorities in the United States are very lopsided and when you couple that with popularity, wealth, and a sense of entitlement your in for trouble.
    I personally have a fast car and every now and then I get on it. 100+, we are lucky that is it. When players start doing 150+, then thats an issue. If nobody is on the road, cmon…. 100 easy. This is a dead issue.
    How about the cops being complete turds. I’ve been clocked here in Texas doing 105 and the state cop told me to slow down. If I were driving an Escort, he may have ticketed me. These NFL players are not driving Escorts…..
    So who cares, just my take.

41. employer says: Dec 5, 2009 12:33 PM

With high profile or regular Joe’s, this stuff happens all the time. Sometimes, folks with celebrity status, it can buy em’ a break. Why wouldn’t it. The state now needs the revenue. So they issue the tickets. Everyone in all states are getting tickets that several years back would have been a warning. Not so anymore. AP”s 5k fine pays for a lot of shit in the state funds.

42. PurpleRaid12 says: Dec 5, 2009 12:36 PM

Bob Nelson,
    You should coach football. I mean you know everything right? You could be the one that “stands up” to these football players, you’re not a wimp right? Gimme a break, hiding behind a computer screen you can say anything you want about all these players and what not, but will you really do anything? Nope, you’ll just log onto PFT every morning, click on a Vikings article, crack the knuckles, and begin BLOGGING about whose wrong and whose bad…… PUSSY. They made a mistake, albeit a completely dumb mistake and hopefully consequences will be made, but they weren’t being malicious. And even Childress won’t do something about it (which he will). Commish always looks for SOMETHING to get the players for…… But if a coach beats his wife, that’s a different story, Roger feels thats justifiable.

43. SFrancis1680 says: Dec 5, 2009 12:55 PM

hey CHILLY, you better have a talk w/your guys, there’s speeding, and there’s being reckless & stupid, i forgot about jerome brown, then there’s derrick thomas & gabe rivera who had there careers ended by car crashes, NO ATHELETE can survive a car crash being that reckless, no matter how INVINCEABLE they think they are, not to mention what if you hit someone who then becomes an innocent victim of your recklessness???

44. bearsrule says: Dec 5, 2009 12:57 PM

ecember 5, 2009 9:22 AM
    @Bob Nelson says:
    Again the weak and wimpy coach will do nothing about it.
    You were okay until you slandered Chilly.

45. Hauschild says: Dec 5, 2009 1:06 PM

The simple fact that often gets little attention is that Berrian broke the law.
    If you people don’t like the current laws, then work to have them changed. Do you have any idea how much extra effort goes into co-existing with those who have no regard for the law???
    Read it. Learn it. Live it.

46. CanadianVikingFan says: Dec 5, 2009 1:26 PM

Killing themselves isn’t even the worst of it. Killing other people not involved in your stupidity is. Come on guys.. Do you really want on your conscious that you killed a family. More importantly took other people out of the world for good and ruin lives of others because of idioticy? Please, don’t do it again.. You only live once. Unless you’re a Buddhist, then you are constantly in a cycle of rebirth..

47. Mulletman69 says: Dec 5, 2009 1:32 PM

Im from the TC and the speed limit is 55-60 depending on what part your in… Most people drive between 80-90 on a regular basis… I have looked down at my speedometer and gone oh shit im going 90…. I dont condone it but it does happen you just have to be a little more aware of what your doing… Altho 100+ is a little excessive…

48. stetai says: Dec 5, 2009 1:40 PM

WTF is going on in Minnesota? Is there some underground racing circuit I’m not aware of in Eden Prairie?
    Thank God Brett Favre gets the casino shuttle bus along with all the other seniors, to take him to work or I’d REALLY be worried.

49. ScottThompson1982 says: Dec 5, 2009 1:42 PM

I got popped doing 100 in Minnesota but I was high, these NFL players have no excuse as we all know they get regularly tested.

50. damnitall says: Dec 5, 2009 2:04 PM

# Richm2256 says: December 5, 2009 11:38 AM
    brownsfan1972 says:
    You mean like spelling “they’re” as “there”? Twice, no less.
    Yeah, apply for thay proof-reading job, moron.
    For the record, the first one should have been ‘they’re’, the second should have been ‘their’.

51. evilmajortom says: Dec 5, 2009 2:19 PM

All these comments and everyone failed to point out that “Leatherheads” is only going to be the worst football movie of all time until “Quarterback of the Future” comes out.
    OOOO . . . Burns doesn’t it Florio . . .

52. Truman says: Dec 5, 2009 2:31 PM

If Peterson had killed somebody on the road, he would end up spending some time where his father did…In jail

53. BenRapistberger says: Dec 5, 2009 2:53 PM

They thought their record was the speed limit.
    To be honest, that’d be a pretty sweet rule.

54. briano29 says: Dec 5, 2009 4:33 PM

Plenty of small tracks you can rent if you guys want to mess around. Someone is going to get killed if you guys don’t slow down. Its been a great season so far. Just waiting for the DUI next . . .

55. rcpecook says: Dec 5, 2009 5:14 PM

Instant idiot – just add some Minnesota!

56. Tompadre says: Dec 5, 2009 6:17 PM

leatherneck -
    I don’t believe Malik Sealy was speeding and died because he was hit by a drunkdriver. Different scenario, but a tragic outcome none the less.

57. Percy Nugz says: Dec 5, 2009 7:23 PM

stetai- yes there is an underground street racing circuit in Eden Prairie. We meet on Dell Road every Tuesday at midnight. Although its hard with these snowy/icy minnesota winter roads……. Bob Nelson is a guido.

58. GBPackers says: Dec 5, 2009 7:26 PM

Who gives a shit who got a speeding ticket?!?!

59. Osterhouse says: Dec 5, 2009 7:33 PM