Vikings-Panthers staying put in Week 15 prime time

Last week, we pointed out that the flex-or-no-flex decision for Week 15 could be a difficult one.

The tentatively scheduled Sunday night game, Vikings at Panthers, doesn’t have the sizzle that it was expected to possess when the schedule was released in April.

But with the Colts and Jags playing on Thursday night, the Cowboys and Saints playing on Saturday night, the Giants and Redskins getting together on Monday night, and Bengals-Chargers and Packers-Steelers protected from flexing by CBS and FOX, respectively, we’re told that the NFL and NBC have decided to keep the game that originally was scheduled for evening viewing.

Despite Minnesota’s lackluster performance at Arizona two nights ago.

Sunday’s overall results apparently left the only four viable alternatives — Patriots at Bills, 49ers at Eagles, Dolphins at Titans, and Falcons at Jets — not sufficiently attractive to change the existing plans.

Still, we tend to think New England at Buffalo could be a better game, given that T.O. and the Bills gave New England a great game in Week One, the Pats have struggled away from home this year, and New England will need to win the game in order to secure the AFC East title.

As to the game that will be played in prime time on NBC in 12 days, the Vikings will be making only their second visit to Charlotte, even though the Panthers have been to the Twin Cities seven times since 1996.

The last time the Vikings played at Carolina, Steve Smith torched the Minnesota defense for more than 200 yards and celebrated a touchdown by pretending to row a boat (a possible reference to the still-bubbling Love Boat brouhaha).  More importantly, quarterback Daunte Culpepper suffered during the game a torn ligament trifecta in his right knee, the last play of Culpepper’s career in Minnesota.

39 responses to “Vikings-Panthers staying put in Week 15 prime time

1. Why wouldn’t they Florio?? The Vikings are 10-2. You are making a loss to the Cardinals like a total season ending crash. Dude,sack up and support your team!

2. Seriously Harvin, grab the classifieds and apply for a job. You seem like a real go getter. Besides, they can’t tell you’re a dbag just from an application(atleast I don’t think so)?

3. I’m guaranteed to be surrounded by a lake of purple jerseys in Charlotte. Happy Holidays and enjoy your post season, Brett!

4. Of course they aren’t going to move it. Who doesn’t wanna watch the wheels come off the wagon up there in Minisoda? Favre ints, AP fumblin and bumblin, JA getting his face owned. ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED!!!

5. Can the Vikings refuse to enter the playoffs? I mean…10-2?? Embarassing. Losing to last year’s Superbowl participants? Disgusting.

6. Why does the NFL think that non-Viking fans would want to see the Vikings two weeks in a row in prime time?

7. Calistin says:
    December 8, 2009 9:41 AM
    ==============================
    Asshat of the day finalist.

8. Of course they are not going to move the game, just like the Vikings are not moving to LA. I am surprised Florio can’t figure this out: The Vikings are ratings GOLD. That is a fact you can’t argue with. Because they are the team everybody loves to hate. Which as a Viking fan I love b/c we get to see much of the nation destroyed with envy every time we win. Which has been A LOT this year. Look for more of the same.
    Oh, and don’t get your hopes up Sacker fans. You are still one of the sloppiest teams in the league and that will not take you far!

9. Childress will coach up a game plan like nothin’ those folks in Carolina have ever seen. Direct snap to Tahi?

10. Watching Brent suffer his annual December decline in Prime Time is must see TV.
    Its no fun to watch the wheels come off the wagon in regional coverage, the humiliation isn’t quite the same as it is on National TV.
    Besides, it will give the residents of LA an advance look at their future home team.

11. I think you are correct, the Patriots at the Bills would have been an interesting match-up. We would have tuned in to see if the Patriots could somehow win ONE road game in another NFL teams home stadium this year. Too bad the game was not scheduled for Toronto.

12. Bengals-Charges would have been the PERFECT Sunday night game. Possibly a preview of what’s to come in the post season. CBS ‘protected’ this game from flexing? Lame.
    I understand the Monday night games are locked, no if-and-but’s about it – but the NFL should be fully utilizing the flex enhancement. Viks @ Carolina … I think I’m going to be sick!

13. Aw come on people. Can’t the Panthers just have a little sniff of prime time? Might not be the best matchup but there is at least a new QB involved.
    Maybe the nation wants to see what the best rushing tandem can do with a solid QB at the helm.
    It’s not always all about the Vikings…

14. Calistin says:
    December 8, 2009 10:37 AM
    Jeff, I refuse to battle wits, with an unarmed person. Good day sir.
    ============================
    The real reason is I have handed you your ass several times before this.
    Nice try though, you are right to walk away.

15. The Vikings are 10-2. They lost to the Cards and the heat is put on them but New England lose and they are still great because they have the greatest coach in the world and the Steelers are in the same boat.

16. It is a tough situation when they can’t find a better game to put on but those are the breaks.
    Sometimes NBC loses.

17. Bengals-Charges would have been the PERFECT Sunday night game. Possibly a preview of what’s to come in the post season. CBS ‘protected’ this game from flexing? Lame.
    ————————————————-
    I’m sorry to hear you aren’t feeling well. If you don’t feel better in a couple days, please see a doctor. I worry about you.

18. one would think people who visit this site could just be football fans.. this matchup could be a lot worse.. the two best rb tandoms in the league goin at it, and 2 good secondary’s pickin some passes. I like the game

19. I think NBC got a bad week for once. I’m not dissing the Vikings, even though we just stomped them, I just think this is not a good match-up.
    Now, if the Vikings trip up against the Bengals, this game suddenly gets alot more interesting. Unless that happens, though, the Vikes are still in a commanding position and this game really won’t have much bearing on the playoffs overall.
    Shouldn’t even be competitive.

20. MNfan in AZ you realize you were bragging about 18 division championships. I guess you have to when you have 0 silver ball shaped trophies in the case. With no new stadium and no revenue sharing the vikes might just fold.

21. Jeff, the only thing you handle is yourself man. Your football knowledge is about as impressive as my sock collection.

22. CutlerISaPussy says: Because they (Vikings) are the team everybody loves to hate.
    ____________________
    How unfortunate so many Minnesota taxpayers feel the same.

23. Calistin says:
    December 8, 2009 1:10 PM
    Jeff, I think you are confusing me with someone who cares.
    Calistin says:
    December 8, 2009 1:11 PM
    ===============================
    I thought you didn’t care?
    I said handed…not handled..
    So what, I masturbate daily….. I’m not the only freak..adam2taperedshitterson likes to mail poop to people!!
    As for my knowledge, all I can say is your sock collection must be pretty impressive.
    I could fit your knowledge in the tip of a condom.

24. “…quarterback Daunte Culpepper suffered during the game a torn ligament trifecta in his right knee…”
    So, part of the NBC deal is that you have to misspeak English like Al Michaels?

25. # Bob Nelson says: December 8, 2009 11:20 AM
    Sometimes NBC loses.
    ——————————————————
    Only because morons like you are allowed to post on sites affiliated with them.

26. As part of the NFL’s “flexible scheduling” plan, the Week 15 game between the Packers and Steelers in Pittsburgh on Sunday, December 20 will be played at 4:15 p.m. ET on FOX. The game was originally scheduled for 1 p.m. ET.
    The NFL will utilize flexible scheduling on Sundays in Weeks 11-17. Flexible scheduling will ensure quality matchups in all NFL Sunday time slots in those weeks and give teams a chance to play their way onto primetime and into the late-afternoon 4:15 p.m. ET time slot on CBS and FOX.
    For each of the flexible scheduling weeks with the exception of Week 17, the NFL will announce the start times of games on Sundays no later than 12 days prior to that weekend. To ensure a Sunday night game and doubleheader games with playoff implications in Week 17, the flexible scheduling decision for that Sunday may be made on six days notice.
    The flex schedule game time changes for this Sunday (Dec. 13) is St. Louis at Tennessee on FOX at 4:05 p.m. ET.

27. Jake Pick6 Delhomme or Matt Moore? Neither are threatening, except to themselves and their team.

28. Holy cow, the Vikings hate here is palpable. The team is the second best in the NFC, Favre’s the top rated passer and you clowns are still talking smack. I assume a lot of you are fellow packer fans. Can’t you enjoy watching the packers AND while still wishing Favre well……or do you still have too much sand in your vag from the ass whooping he’s handed you morons. Jimmysmith and Bob Nelson, you give real fans like me a bad name.

29. @ pkrlvr
    Anyone one here still giving a crap about what Bob Nelson & Jimmy Smith say is eithre new or an idiot. Pretty sure most real fans know this.
    —————————-
    DocBG says:
    December 8, 2009 3:30 PM
    # Bob Nelson says: December 8, 2009 11:20 AM
    Sometimes NBC loses.
    ——————————————————
    Only because morons like you are allowed to post on sites affiliated with them.
    —————————–
    Wow Doc, powerful stuff. How bout you & purplepuzzyeater get together and write a book of great “comebacks”. I know you follow Pervy & jeff around. Think you’d at least pick up some of their talent.

30. If I was in charge of this site, JimmySmith & Bob Nelson would be banned from here forever. Even the Packer fans hate these 2 idiots.