Suggs gets sued for $70 million

Now, the woman has filed a $70 million lawsuit against Suggs, along with a separate action seeking custody of the kids.

Candace Williams, 26, claims in the lawsuit that Suggs struck her on November 3, and that he threatened to kill her.  She also contends that the incident involving the pouring of bleach by Suggs occurred on November 29.

According to the Baltimore Sun, documents relating to the case include a comment from the judge who issued the restraining order that “visible lacerations” were present on Williams’ chest.

Suggs was asked about the situation on Thursday at the team’s facility, and he wisely opted not to talk about it.  Other than to say he couldn’t talk about it.

“I can’t talk about all that right now,” Suggs said, per the Sun.  “You know I’ve
always been fair.  When I can address it, I will.  I really have nothing
to hide.  As bad as I want to talk about it right now, I can’t.  When I’m
able to do it, you guys can ask a million and one questions about it,
and I would be glad to answer them for you.  Right now, to be safe, I
really can’t answer any questions about it right now.”

Suggs has not been charged with a crime, which makes discipline from the team or the league unlikely.  Still, NFL spokesman Greg Aiello recently told the Sun that the league will “take a look at it as we would any such matter to try to understand the facts.”

Permalink 54 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Baltimore Ravens, Legal, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
54 Responses to “Suggs gets sued for $70 million”
  1. hizzle1281 says: Dec 10, 2009 4:09 PM

good thing he got an extention
    hahahaha

2. emoser says: Dec 10, 2009 4:12 PM

Looks like he’s jockeying for the position as baltimore’s posterboy once the murderer retires.

3. JimmySmith says: Dec 10, 2009 4:12 PM

Ask for the same jury as Ray Lewis.

4. Hap says: Dec 10, 2009 4:13 PM

He allegedly tried to pour bleach on her? Oh, to make her like Elin.

5. Marty says: Dec 10, 2009 4:13 PM

He was just trying to clean them.

6. CapsLockKey says: Dec 10, 2009 4:14 PM

Aw, oh my God, oh my God, oh my God. God. Oh, I’m hurt. Oh, my neck, my back, my neck and my back. Oh, I want $70,000,000, but we can settle out of court right now for twenty bucks.

7. Ross'sSweetMinus says: Dec 10, 2009 4:15 PM

I want to know how this idiot bitch came up with $70 million? She’s a skank.

8. VoxVagina says: Dec 10, 2009 4:16 PM

This is bullshit. It’s just some psycho bitch being a gold digger and suing Suggs for more than he will make in his new 6 year contract. What a joke

9. Tampa_Native says: Dec 10, 2009 4:16 PM

Good thing that “extension” came in the form of a brand new contract from a new team. Seeing as he was a free agent at the end of last year.
    hahahaha……. idiot.
    Just like this Williams chick. Idiot, some bottom bi…. well you know. Trying to besmirch an athletes name and get money. Whats new.

10. thekillerkeller says: Dec 10, 2009 4:17 PM

I wonder if Ray Lewis helped him or showed him how to do it?

11. ericpburt says: Dec 10, 2009 4:18 PM

From his comments, it seems like just another crazy gold digger chick. Why are some women so batty?

12. Bob Nelson says: Dec 10, 2009 4:20 PM

Why is there only one group of players that get accused of this sort of thing?
    Kurt Warner, the Mannings, Matt Birk, Jason Witten, Aaron Kampmann, and others would never be accuesed of this sort of behavior.
    With others you just know there is trouble.

13. wornjw says: Dec 10, 2009 4:21 PM

And a few weeks ago his biggest problem was an illegal block thrown on him by Quinn…

14. sonvar says: Dec 10, 2009 4:21 PM

Seriously how does stuff like this even get into court when there isn’t a criminal case behind it. To me it make it’s very less plausible this occurred if there isn’t a criminal case

15. TeHDruiD says: Dec 10, 2009 4:21 PM

$70 mill? Sounds like she provoke him into getting sued for the money. That’s sad, it really is.

16. hayward giablommi says: Dec 10, 2009 4:23 PM

Being Suggs Baby Mama, getting some bleached poured on her and suing for $70 mill sure sounds more glamourous than the traditional obtaining a divorce and getting half.
    Whenever Real Housewives of Baltimore comes around, she’ll be a shoo in.
    So, ummm, well played, I guess.

17. DocBG says: Dec 10, 2009 4:23 PM

sounds to me like the dollar amount is a little over the top. maybe some sort of outrageous dollar amount like this is meant to get attention, and hopefully a settlement of a much smaller amount for her to STFU. Hope the guy is innocent and she’s nothing but crazy, you never know.

18. Cleveland Sucks aka Philly Sewer Rat says: Dec 10, 2009 4:27 PM

suggs is a bitch!!!!

19. cmich06 says: Dec 10, 2009 4:28 PM

Terell Thuggs

20. moral-authority says: Dec 10, 2009 4:29 PM

Don’t know much about his personality. Though he seems screwed! Hate to say it but when kids & abuse are involved in the same sentnce, you’re an athlete, and who pulverizes peeps, rich, young & black, that spells trouble! Better get back on the field quick to earn the rest of his contract to settle it & displace the attention.

21. birdmancometh says: Dec 10, 2009 4:30 PM

$70 mil!! Holy crap.

22. Bmored82 says: Dec 10, 2009 4:33 PM

Well here we go, get the glasses ready for the Baltimore hateraide. I’m setting the over/under of times “Ray Lewis the murderer” and “Ravens are a team full of thugs” at 23 mentions. Even though the Ravens never seem to reset the arrest meter. 70 million sounds a little extreme for someone who doesn’t even have a police report to back up this claim.

23. Emoney says: Dec 10, 2009 4:33 PM

Its always an outrageous amount that people sue for. Therefore, if and when they win, 99.9% of the time, it gets reduced to something more reasonable. If she sued for a million, she would more than likely see less than half of that.

24. Saintnation says: Dec 10, 2009 4:34 PM

Baby Mama Drama

25. RIP__21 says: Dec 10, 2009 4:38 PM

70 million for chest lacerations? Gimmie a fvcking break. Nfl players are better off with the right hand then messing around with these money grubbin hookers.

26. PackerFanTastic says: Dec 10, 2009 4:38 PM

What a joke. Any lawyer who files a suit for a sum this ridiculous should be disbarred. Granted Suggs may have been stupid and damages are due, but $70 million. This idiot reflects what’s wrong with America. The old American work ethic has been replaced by greed and entitlement.

27. habibfromnewdehli says: Dec 10, 2009 4:49 PM

Here, let me just save fans of all the other 31 NFL teams the trouble:
    “thug team, thug player, thug city, thug thug thug thug thug.”
    There, now you don’t even have to bother. Have a nice day cheering on your teams that never have players accused of anything, let alone actually being convicted!

28. mattitude says: Dec 10, 2009 4:49 PM

Well, at least he sounded like normal human being when speaking but not really speaking to reporters about the incident.

29. Bigbluefan says: Dec 10, 2009 4:50 PM

What rims with Suggs Thugs
    Enough said

30. BleedBlue&Silver says: Dec 10, 2009 4:57 PM

@bigbluefan
    Nothing “rims” with Suggs. Do they not have Hooked On Phonics in NY?
    Spelling lesson of the day. Try “rhymes”.

31. Vince Drooley says: Dec 10, 2009 5:06 PM

Holy crap! He can pour bleach on me and punch me around. Hell, he can use me like a prison bitch if I can get $70 mill for it.

32. jamaltimore says: Dec 10, 2009 5:08 PM

Bigbluefan,
    what rims with suggs? How about Plexiglass shot a hole in his leg carring a 9 in his sweatpants? I’m all about cracking on other teams players but at least spell correctly

33. VoxVeritas says: Dec 10, 2009 5:10 PM

“Here’s the latest development in the bizarre story that began with a restraining order being filed against Ravens linebacker Terrell Suggs, followed by a claim that he struck and tried to pour bleach on the mother of his two small children.”
    That’s nothing. Let’s talk more about Flo pushing a grown man down.

34. TFBuckFutter says: Dec 10, 2009 5:12 PM

“Candace Williams, 26, claims in the lawsuit that Suggs struck her on November 3, and that he threatened to kill her. She also contends that the incident involving the pouring of bleach by Suggs occurred on November 29.”
    Yeah….that first assault doesn’t really matter since she didn’t bother to do anything about it, including LEAVING him. That’s called “condonation”.
    As for the $70 million….I’ll DRINK bleach for less than that.

35. hayward giablommi says: Dec 10, 2009 5:12 PM

JimmySmith spewed:
    “Ask for the same jury as Ray Lewis. ”
    ^^^^^
    Ray Lewis went on trial in before a criminal court in Atlanta.
    Suggs will go before a civil court in Baltimore.
    See the difference? RETARD

36. hayward giablommi says: Dec 10, 2009 5:15 PM

“Nothing “rims” with Suggs…
    Try “rhymes”.”
    ^^^^^
    Muggs and juggs

37. mattitude says: Dec 10, 2009 5:36 PM

VoxVeritas says:
    That’s nothing. Let’s talk more about Flo pushing a grown man down.
    ————————————————-
    Well, this is just an allegation right now. A national audience saw Flozell hit a man in the back, but you can keep trying to look like a d-bag. You’re doing a good job so far.

38. theJets2010 says: Dec 10, 2009 5:37 PM

hahahaha rims
    $70 million, let me guess he slept with other women also.. gimme a break lady

39. DWat393 says: Dec 10, 2009 5:37 PM

Bob Nelson says: December 10, 2009 4:20 PM
    Why is there only one group of players that get accused of this sort of thing?
    With others you just know there is trouble.
    _____________________________
    Ummm…I’m just hoping that incredibly blatant racism was an accident…what about Matt Jones? Owen Schmitt? Jeff Reed? You’re an idiot.

40. whatthehellisgoingonoutthere says: Dec 10, 2009 6:11 PM

DWat393 says: December 10, 2009 5:37 PM
    Bob Nelson says: December 10, 2009 4:20 PM
    Why is there only one group of players that get accused of this sort of thing?
    With others you just know there is trouble.
    _____________________________
    ———————————————–
    One could argue that he was referring to beating up on women, not DUI, beating up a towel dispenser or snorting some blow.

41. Eternal Optimist says: Dec 10, 2009 6:13 PM

Maybe Suggs can sue Quinn to offset the heavy losses?

42. FED EX says: Dec 10, 2009 6:16 PM

not one of you will drink bleach for any amount of money. stop being so stupid.
    not one of you will allow yourself to be beaten and used as a prison-bitch for any amount, so stop being so stupid.

43. chickenfootishunglikeachicken says: Dec 10, 2009 6:22 PM

the biatch probably deserved it…….. i’m sure suggs could wake up tomorrow and see on the news that she “disappeared forever” for a lot less than that. it’s pretty sad with all these money grubbing leg spreading whores trying to get money out of these pro athletes. maybe she has the same lawyer as that skank that tried suing roethlisberger. i hope suggs hires ben’s attorney and goes after the other attorney. and people wonder why lawyers are burried face down 10 feet deep.

44. MSWRavens says: Dec 10, 2009 6:37 PM

hayward – despite our prior disagreements, good on you for calling out Jimmy Smith. Let me take it a step further…the charges against Ray were DROPPED. There was no jury decision at all.
    And by the way, since I WATCHED the Ray Lewis trial, let me take this opportunity to again advise all the morons out there – and in this case, I include you as well Florio for spewing BS about Ray – the man never owned or possessed the murder weapon. The man never touched either of the decedents. He was charged under a very broad Georgia statute that allowed him to be charged for murder merely for being at the scene of the crime and allegedly contributing to the circumstances that resulted in the deaths of two men. [much broader than your typical felony murder rule statute – so spare me the rebuttal] You can throw all the slings & arrows at Ray that you want because you hate the Ravens…but while you’re laughing to yourself, think how scary that is – you could be charged for murder merely for being there!!! I’m a law & order kind of guy, but in this case the State of Georgia needs to come into the 21st century and get rid of its Jim Crowe leftovers…
    which leads me to Bob “Jim Crowe” Nelson – from one white guy to presumably another – why don’t you keep your ignorant racist ass mind to yourself. Your stupidity is not doing the rest of us any good…

45. MSWRavens says: Dec 10, 2009 6:49 PM

In case anyone is interested in some facts – I’m an attorney in Maryland. You can go online, as I did, and look up some basic information…such as the fact that this woman is represented by a guy who is a solo practitioner in downtown Baltimore with (according to his website) a singular focus on family law. He graduated from the same law school as I did, but 2 years after me. I don’t know him and have no idea as to his competence. However, as a civil litigator whose wife is a divorce lawyer, I can tell you that there is a HUGE difference between domestic practice and civil/tort law.
    I can also tell you that the $70 million number is meaningless. It is unlikely to ever be mentioned or requested in a courtroom. It’s also a number that is likely a fiction created by the media by adding up the amount requested in several duplicate counts that are filed as a matter of form for good reasons not worth going into here.
    I’ll also mention that the case was filed in Baltimore County, not Baltimore City. VERY different jurisdictions. City is 80% African American and generally considered one of only 2 favorable plainitff’s venues in Maryland. Baltimore County is 70-75% white, and a generally conservative but very diverse place, about the size of Rhode Island. If he’s guilty, he’ll get hit hard. If the case is BS, the jury won’t fall for it…

46. pghsteve says: Dec 10, 2009 6:54 PM

Odd that none of those Rapersberger comments have appeared here from Ravens fans. Now that the shoe is on the other foot, does not seem quite so funny, does it?
    Mr. Suggs will get his day in court and until then he is wise to say as little as possible about the accusation. One must wonder, as with the Rothlisberger case, why this woman did not file criminal charges?
    And Mr. Lewis is certainly not a murderer. He likely knows more than he is willing to say about the incident in Atlanta, but that does not make him a criminal.
    Can we get back to football now?

47. frox says: Dec 10, 2009 7:23 PM

Hopefully he can follow “Jimmy” Harrison by following up accusations of being a punk ass woman beater by winning defensive player of the year the next season.
    And how old are the Ray Lewis references? Get over it people. I hate to even bother defending Ray to people that simply do not want to hear it, but for one thing, it was not a jury that “let him off,” it was the DA who had absolutely zero evidence to tie him to the murder in the first place. Ray pled guilty to the only crime he commited and he testified against the two goons that did it. And you can say what you want about Ray, but at least unlike a lot of these other guys, he has kept himself out of trouble since that night. He has done nothing but good things for the city of Baltimore and the NFL since then. Like I said though, those that still think he is a murderer after all these years will never change their mind. Those that actually paid attention during his trial know he did not murder anyone.

48. Ida hoe says: Dec 10, 2009 7:56 PM

pghsteve says:
    December 10, 2009 6:54 PM
    Yes it’s a crime to withhold information of a murder as well as evidence. You must be kidding.
    What if the deceased was a relative of yours. Would you care if Ray Lewis witheld info then?

49. hayward giablommi says: Dec 10, 2009 9:26 PM

@ MSWRavens:
    I’m just surprised that dipshit ventured into a post that didn’t involve the Patriots so he can rehash the coma-inducing cliches about videocameras for the trillionth time, or a Minnesota/Favre post so he can reset his cringeworthy Brad Childress/Col. Klink routine.
    Just for the record, I’m as bored with the “Ray Lewis=murderer” stuff as you are.

50. Favre On HGH says: Dec 10, 2009 9:58 PM

Ray Lewis went on trial in before a criminal court in Atlanta.
    Suggs will go before a civil court in Baltimore.
    See the difference? RETARD
    —————
    Suggs should petition to have the case moved to Atlanta for a “neutral” jury then, that sound right?

51. Favre On HGH says: Dec 10, 2009 10:03 PM

Kids these days, I’m sure he was merely offering to help her with laundry and he tripped and fell (has a knee injury you know) and the bleach splashed on her.
    As he was falling he saw he was likely going to fall onto her (all 270 pounds of him) so being the gentleman he is he merely pushed her away from him so he wouldn’t fall on top of her and possibly injure her further.

52. pghsteve says: Dec 10, 2009 10:04 PM

I stand corrected, and Mr. Lewis was convicted of obstruction of justice. As for your second point, I am the relative of a murder victim (the son of a police officer killed in the line of duty), so yes, I would care very deeply if information was withheld by a witness. However, that is more of a moral issue than a legal one.
    I am no apologist for Mr. Lewis – I think his failure to tell all that he knows about the murders in Atlanta is a moral failing on his part, and while God might forgive him, those who loved the murder victims likely never will. He could have helped provide justice to the family of the victims and chose not to. He has to live with that. I hope he has had and continues to have many sleepless nights.

53. antneejay2 says: Dec 11, 2009 1:14 AM

What was a judge doing looking at Williams chest?

54. Pongo says: Dec 11, 2009 4:54 PM

Ray Lewis will go into the hall of fame first ballot partly because of the road he has walked.
    I consider him a poster boy for proud redemption.