Mangini threatened to lock the players out if they blew their lead

We’ve heard many accounts over the years of halftime speeches aimed at getting a team focused on the task at hand.  (Heck, I still have periodic flashbacks to a grade-school coach kicking a cardboard box full of orange peels across the floor of the locker room.)  On Thursday night, Eric Mangini employed an unusual tactic to persuade his team to hold their ten-point lead over the Steelers.

“Coach said, ‘Do not come back in this locker room without a win,’” receiver Josh Cribbs told Steve Doerschuk of the Canton Repository.

“I mean, he said, ‘Don’t come back in this locker room without a win.
Just don’t come.  I’m going to lock the door.’  We all looked at him.”

Whether Mangini meant it is irrelevant.  The players apparently believed him, and they held on for the win.

That said, given the way things previously have gone this year for the Browns, some of the players might have concluded that getting locked out wouldn’t have been a bad thing.

Permalink 39 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Cleveland Browns, Pittsburgh Steelers, Rumor Mill, Sprint Football Live - Rumors, Top Stories
39 Responses to “Mangini threatened to lock the players out if they blew their lead”
  1. KrazyTrumpeter05 says: Dec 12, 2009 2:22 PM

Hey, whatever works, I guess.

2. joegill88 says: Dec 12, 2009 2:23 PM

Whatever it takes for a win! I dont like Mangini at all, but it worked! Go Browns!
    Joe Gill

3. bearsrule says: Dec 12, 2009 2:29 PM

They couldn’t get that lucky.

4. bluestree says: Dec 12, 2009 2:29 PM

Locker room Flashback: grade school basektball; we went into the locker room exuberantly with a halftime lead over a favored opponent. “Pipe down. quiet!” said our coach, and then he pulled out a glass, and put it to the wall and layed his ear against it. We watched in total silence for about five minutes, and then he proceeded to relay the chewing out our opponent was getting from their coach and what their second half adjustments were. I now wonder if he could hear through that cinder block wall, but we went out and creamed them regardless.

5. dybzinski says: Dec 12, 2009 2:31 PM

Wow, talk about taking something way too literally and keeping your vendetta alive!! It’s like reporting that go “kick some arse” means someone should kick someone… no one would report that… oh wait, you already did that too…
    This website is getting way too ridiculous.

6. North Killadelphia says: Dec 12, 2009 2:38 PM

Looks like poor ol’ Gill will be eatin’ food tonight!

7. urbusted says: Dec 12, 2009 2:38 PM

Is there a story here or is that it?

8. KingJoe! says: Dec 12, 2009 2:39 PM

Well the players should get used to being locked out; it is coming thanks to guys like JaMarcus Russell.

9. KingJoe! says: Dec 12, 2009 2:39 PM

10. Living_Legend says: Dec 12, 2009 2:41 PM

Players Assoc. & Commish wouldn’t have minded it, I’m sure. Tough guy Mangini, gimme a break…

11. HarrisonHits says: Dec 12, 2009 2:42 PM

Geeze as much as I loved seeing the Steelers lose to that sorry bunch of crap Cleveland calls an NFL team, now I wish they had lost. Imagine the amusement the rest of the world would have had from the sh*tstorm that would have come about if Ratgini really had locked them out.
    I have to believe that would have violated the CBA among other things, and that the league would not have tolerated that.

12. llitsr says: Dec 12, 2009 2:43 PM

I’ll bet Bill Belichick has said some crazy things to the Pats. I mean they do have many similarities!

13. clubm says: Dec 12, 2009 2:51 PM

It is not exactly a “win for the gipper” speech, but what the hell, whatever gets the W. If that didn’t work, he could’ve had them all practice without pads…

14. daffy87 says: Dec 12, 2009 2:52 PM

During a superbowl Bill Parcells picked up a trash can and proceeded to dump it on his defensive players, telling them they played like trash they belong to be with trash. They went out and dominatd the 2nd half and won. However you can get through to tha players….do it.

15. FumbleNuts says: Dec 12, 2009 3:07 PM

Mangini grew a pair?

16. manginiwithcheese says: Dec 12, 2009 3:08 PM

Whatever works. All that matters is Mangini rallied an undermanned and less-talented Browns team to a win over Sh*%sburgh for the first time in 12 tries.
    We’ll take it.

17. st.michael says: Dec 12, 2009 3:13 PM

For the record. Mangini is starting to look WAY better than Rex Ryan. hahaha…how’s Braylon doing morons?

18. Brentonmcclellan says: Dec 12, 2009 3:34 PM

Clutch at those straws there buddy. It’s blatantly obvious that no matter what Cleveland does you will try to portray them in a bad light. They just beat the Pittsburgh Steelers, and they did it convincingly. You have to put away the funky hat and jars of venom for at least one week.

19. Terry says: Dec 12, 2009 3:44 PM

Locked out, kicked out etc., these players could give two shits as long as their check is there on Monday afternoon!

20. Woody Paige says: Dec 12, 2009 3:50 PM

I’m sure that’s why the Browns won. Mangini’s empty threats must have been the trick they were missing all season.

21. Ravenaddict4 says: Dec 12, 2009 4:20 PM

Muck Fangini!!!

22. urbusted says: Dec 12, 2009 4:31 PM

Whether Mangini meant it is irrelevant. The players apparently believed him, and they held on for the win.
    Florio, If enough people yell, even NBC will drop you. Please try not to make this site a complete septic tank of BS. You can’t handle the Browns winning one game against your precious Steelers? Well pinch yourself because it happened. Only a complete idiot would believe that the Browns won because of a lock out threat. The Browns beat their asses in the first half too. Did he threaten to not let them in at halftime if they didn’t have the lead? The Browns didn’t hold on either. The Steelers really posed very little threat in either half.

23. Chris says: Dec 12, 2009 4:37 PM

I am surprised the Browns didn’t lose it purposely.

24. Bigbluefan says: Dec 12, 2009 4:48 PM

Hey Wade was heard before the Gaints game push them before they push you

25. JoeSixPack says: Dec 12, 2009 4:48 PM

The issue here isn’t whether Mangini had the balls to threaten to lock the players out..
    It’s whether he had the balls to actually DO it if they lost.
    I’m thinking that the answer would probably be “no”

26. Route36West says: Dec 12, 2009 4:50 PM

I like it. It seems funny after the fact but it probly wasnt when he was saying. I still probly would have laughed.

27. TheNaturalMevs says: Dec 12, 2009 4:57 PM

He is scum. He needs fired. He’s the biggest POS on the planet. If Lerner doesn’t fire him, it will end in disaster. It won’t end good. He’s won 2 games. Big deal. He deserves to be fired.

28. The Coop says: Dec 12, 2009 5:24 PM

Florio, you’re such a slack-jawed Yinzer dousche. Can’t even lay off Mangini for 48 hours after he beats your beloved Stillers. It’s just so tired dude. Move on.

29. slipkid says: Dec 12, 2009 5:40 PM

hell the browns didnt quit. they dont seem to have quit all year. it worked.
    that may save fatboy’s job.
    he did the right thing.
    pittsburgh should take notice.

30. Biglardawg says: Dec 12, 2009 5:58 PM

Nice pointless article, Florio. Glad you could take a minute and put your terrible towel down long enough to write it.

31. spyboots says: Dec 12, 2009 6:12 PM

Arians must’ve felt sorry for the Browns players. He acquiesced.

32. Kige Ramsey says: Dec 12, 2009 7:29 PM

Florio just couldn’t resist talking about the Browns

33. urbusted says: Dec 12, 2009 7:35 PM

TheNaturalMevs says:
    December 12, 2009 4:57 PM
    hahahahhahahahahhaha
    Hey, maybe you should be looking at Tomlin a little closer huh? I’m glad your not a Browns fan and feel sorry for the team you do root for. If you think someone needs to be fired then say so. It’s your right, but the personal attacks simply reveal what you are.

34. Deb says: Dec 12, 2009 7:42 PM

I don’t get some of these posts.
    First, why do people think Florio is a Steelers fan? I’m a Steelers fan, and he’s written things about them that have made me want to slam him upside the head with my laptop. Yeah, a lot of people in WV are Steelers fans, but if he is, you can’t tell it by his writing.
    Second, why do people think reporting Mangini’s halftime speech insults the Browns? They gave us a pretty sound thrashing. Lil Eric threatening a lockout doesn’t take away from that. Doubt he’d have done it though. And some of those guys would have been big enough to break down the door if he had.
    Third, why do people think NBC would dump Florio for pissing off a few fans? Didn’t he sell this site to NBC? He’s a lawyer; I’m sure he secured his position in the sales contract. And when he pisses people off, they click and comment. It’s good for business.
    Strange posts.

35. GoBears84 says: Dec 12, 2009 8:10 PM

It’ll be twice as funny when Mangina goes to work some monday and is locked out of the facilities.

36. lordmandinga says: Dec 12, 2009 9:00 PM

Shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiits weak. SHITS WEAK! shit wizzeeeek.

37. prfdiva says: Dec 12, 2009 10:16 PM

mangini needs to GO!

38. JoeSixPack1 says: Dec 12, 2009 11:03 PM

Deb says:
    December 12, 2009 7:42 PM
    I don’t get some of these posts.
    OK, and you have all the answers? Yes he is a Steelers fan and do a little research on the internet and get back to us. There’s a lot to be learned. In addition, just because you don’t get something doesn’t make an alternative point of view strange.

39. Deb says: Dec 13, 2009 2:57 PM

@JoeSixPack1 …
    I didn’t say I have all the answers or anything remotely like that. I said I can’t tell by his writing that he’s a Steelers fan because he takes a lot of shots at that Steelers. If he’s admitted he’s a Steelers fan, then why don’t you just say so instead of giving me some smart-ass nonsense about how much I have to learn? I’m a pretty well-educated person, and believe it or not, I can think of many many more interesting things to research than Mike Florio’s football preferences.
    It should have been understood that I was saying I find it strange–meaning it’s strange to me. I believe we’re all voicing our opinions here. The other people are entitled to their opinions and I’m entitled to find them strange. Just because you don’t get that doesn’t make it incomprehensible.