Belichick defends Moss, fires back at Panthers

The Patriots may not have Adalius Thomas’ back, but their support of Randy Moss is unequivocal.

First, Tom Brady defended his receiver Monday morning.  Patriots coach Bill Belichick did the same at his press conference.

Asked about Carolina’s assertion that Moss gave up during the game, Belichick said,  “That’s a lot of conversation from a team that just lost another game.”

Belichick went on to say how much he respects his star receiver.

“I have a lot of respect for Randy,” Belichick said.  “I think he’s one of our best
players and I think if you watch other teams defend him and watch other
teams play against him, they think the same way — other than these two
guys from Carolina after they lost another game. I guess they don’t
think that way. They haven’t won a lot of games now.”

Hey now!

If nothing else, all the drama in New England of late gives Belichick a chance to play the “no respect” or  “us against the doubters” underdog card that seemed to serve him well earlier in the decade.

Permalink 60 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: New England Patriots, Rumor Mill, Sprint Football Live - Rumors, Top Stories
60 Responses to “Belichick defends Moss, fires back at Panthers”
  1. PFTiswhatitis says: Dec 14, 2009 1:33 PM

Gregg,
    I really don’t see how BB was playing the “no respect”, “us against the doubters” or the underdog card in his comments. He was simply standing up for Randy Moss. It is rare that he ever calls out the opposing team like he did though. Still I think you got this one WRONG.

2. CanadianVikingFan says: Dec 14, 2009 1:34 PM

That’s pretty damn funny. Way to go Belichick!

3. Igottz5onit says: Dec 14, 2009 1:37 PM

To me this shows that Belichick is bothered by this more than if he actually said that Moss did half ass it. He only starts taking jabs at other teams after they have played if he really is trying to deflect attention away from his own team’s dysfunctional spikes. At least that is what I have observed during his past interview patterns, I could be wrong this time.

4. ButchD says: Dec 14, 2009 1:37 PM

well, it would be one thing for the Panthers to be saying stuff if they had, you know, won the game. But getting beat, of course they want to say whatever they think can get under the pats’ skin.

5. thesaint257 says: Dec 14, 2009 1:37 PM

When you don what you are told in New England, the team has your back. The only person in New England who is in the dog house is Adalius Thomas who sucks anyways.
    Im not a fan of the Pats, but you dont want a pissed off New England as we all know. When they get fed up they let you know on the field!

6. The Coop says: Dec 14, 2009 1:38 PM

True colors shine through during times of adversity.
    I’m not sayin………. I’m just sayin.

7. Rick says: Dec 14, 2009 1:43 PM

This is why Belichick is the greatest coach of all time. His star receiver is being attacked and he jumps to his defense. The ball is now in Randy’s court. He can either take it and run with it or dog it like he did last week. I think its is time to get back to the offense that won 3 SBs anyway. Run the ball and set up the play action. Hopefully Belichick has seen the light.

8. JuicyMelon says: Dec 14, 2009 1:44 PM

I agree with Billy B on this issue. I found it extremely funny how ESPN/NBC/FOX/PFT and the Panthers were dogging Moss when the Pats won the game. Sure Moss does have his bad days. We saw it all the time in Minny. But Moss is one of those guys who has a bad game here and there and the next week comes in and dominates. This is the same Randy as he’s always been. I really don’t see a problem with him. He is used mostly as a decoy. Whether or not he was covered or “Didn’t go full speed” is irrelevant. He still demands coverage. The Panther never let up on him. Unfortunately for Caronlina, their attention to Randy let the rest of the Pats do their thing.

9. KAP2281 says: Dec 14, 2009 1:45 PM

Hey Bill,
    1) I’m sending you a new sweatshirt for Xmas.
    2) That’s a lot of “conversation” for a team favored by 2 touchdowns at home vs. an undrafted QB. On second thought I won’t send that full length hoody, the stripers gave you jokers about half a dozen early gifts.

10. NFL_1974 says: Dec 14, 2009 1:47 PM

Oh please. NE has to be the joke right now. They are not doing anything and they will perhaps get in the playoffs, but I would nto be afraid of playing them right now. In fact, if I were Indy, SD, or anyone else in the AFC, I would welcome it.

11. Emoney says: Dec 14, 2009 1:53 PM

I’m sorry but New England is a shell of their former selves. They’re not the class of the NFL anymore. Their defense sucks. Their offense struggled to barely put up 20 points against a terrible Panthers team.
    They’re not blowing away teams like they used to. Their offensive line isn’t dominate anymore. There’s no such thing as a running game on their team. They have a great QB and two extremely good WR’s. Am I missing anyone else?

12. wkedklwnz says: Dec 14, 2009 1:54 PM

Little Billy isnt like Adalius, he wont put Moss on blast in public, he will handle behind closed doors. As it should be handled. That is if what is being said is true. I dont know, I dont care, my team is done with the Patriots for the year. I would like to see them lose this week, but whatever.

13. Matt says: Dec 14, 2009 1:57 PM

# CanadianVikingFan says: December 14, 2009 1:34 PM
    That’s pretty damn funny. Way to go Belichick!
    **********************************************
    I second. Totally worth waking up to and reading.
    “…other than these two guys from Carolina after they lost another game. I guess they don’t think that way. They haven’t won a lot of games now.”
    LOL

14. leatherneck says: Dec 14, 2009 1:57 PM

BB smacks down all the haters and rectifies (or at least comes close) his situation with Randy Moss. Meanwhile, this seems to address the situation that CC was talking about, too.
    Patriots big next week.

15. StevieMo says: Dec 14, 2009 2:01 PM

None of this excuses the fact that when the going gets tough for Randy Moss, he turns into the mope-around, spoiled quitter that he is.
    The signature term for Moss is simply: FRONT-RUNNER.

16. Asswipe Johnson (Pronounced Az-Wee-Pay) says: Dec 14, 2009 2:01 PM

Belichick simply had two choices here.
    Either defend his hand picked wr, just as the qb (Brady) did…or watch this situation progress negatively with Moss.
    Belichick has hitched his wagon to outsiders like Moss and Adalius Thomas, while claiming not to have the money to resign 3 time All Pro Richard Seymour. He cannot win without Moss now. This is his bed…and he must sleep in it.

17. BDC_N_DC says: Dec 14, 2009 2:03 PM

Playing the “no respect” or “us against the doubters” card and having film of the other team’s practices really did serve Belichick well earlier in the decade.

18. dpa6 says: Dec 14, 2009 2:04 PM

19. simple_simon1 says: Dec 14, 2009 2:07 PM

Well said Bill. I think, despite the little bit of controversy and bad play of late, this might not be a team you want to have to play in the playoffs. Something keeps telling me they’re playing a bit of possum with the end of the season here. Too good to be playing the way they have been. Just a little time ago, this team was demolishing the Colts (until a late collapse) and beating the Titans 59-0 with the starters out from the 5 min mark of the 3rd quarter on. Watch out for this team in the playoffs.

20. sonvar says: Dec 14, 2009 2:09 PM

Moss might as well went to sleep on the field in that game for all he did. And if Belichick is going to get that defensive about it then it confirms it more so.

21. TNicks says: Dec 14, 2009 2:16 PM

Why would belichick care if Moss wasn’t giving everything. The guy draws man coverage and safety help over the top when he isn’t trying anyway. Him being on the field(regardless of his mood) opens up wes welker and ben watson for easy targets. Is it ok to say Carolina did a good job on Wes Welker if he only gets 10 catches for 100 yards? Wow, I think it is.

22. moxiejkk says: Dec 14, 2009 2:19 PM

Putting aside all the drama about Moss being a loser, Belichick being a cheater, the Pats aren’t as good as they used to be yadda yadda yadda…
    The fact remains that Chris Gamble and his buddy were totally classless for calling out an individual on the opposing team like they did. Mind your own business and play football for crying out loud.

23. iusedtobeteddybayer says: Dec 14, 2009 2:28 PM

You saw the plays. You saw Brady ragging on Moss and today they all defend him?
    “You can’t handle the truth!”

24. sim448 says: Dec 14, 2009 2:29 PM

good for bill. i am saying this now- i would not want any part of playing the pats after this. adversity can do two things- tear you apart or make you better- the pats will be better. everyone better remember- the giants were 7-5 in 2007. we pats fans(and giant fans) remember that, but obviously everyone else forgot. i would not want to be a member of the buffalo bills this week….

25. rusH1023 says: Dec 14, 2009 2:29 PM

Igottz5onit:
    You study Bill Belichick’s interview patterns?

26. titanswearredsox says: Dec 14, 2009 2:35 PM

I don’t care how bad the Pats are playing this year or how big of a puss Moss is. I would still hate to go up against a Belichick team in the playoffs and having to matchup against Brady, Moss, and Welker.

27. titanswearredsox says: Dec 14, 2009 2:35 PM

28. rusH1023 says: Dec 14, 2009 2:36 PM

simple_simon1 says:
    __________________________________________
    I wish this were true, but unless we’re students in an 8th grade lunchroom and I don’t know it, is this a realistic discussion in today’s NFL? I think not.

29. Justin Pugh says: Dec 14, 2009 2:44 PM

I don’t care what Bill or Brady says! Randy Moss showed no passion or desire to play in that game yesterday.
    The fumble, interception, and drops were not because of coverage or a hard hit, but rather undisicplined effort.
    This is what you get from a reciever that can only run 2 routes. A go route and a 15 yard slant pattern.
    He needs to know his role and shut his mouth. Wes Welker is the center of the Patriots passing attack, not Randy Moss… The offense can survive without Moss, but it would die without Welker.

30. Brohamma says: Dec 14, 2009 2:53 PM

Break out the hoodie!!
    It’s time for the Pats to go on a big tear and it just started with their, normally direct and respectful coach, taking off the gloves.
    To be honest, it’s about damn time!!

31. Vince says: Dec 14, 2009 2:54 PM

Who cares what Randy did or didnt do. Patriots won the game simple… if I were the Panthers I would be watching film on the Vikings because they are going to TORCH their corners…

32. TP7 says: Dec 14, 2009 2:56 PM

BURN!

33. Ralphie says: Dec 14, 2009 2:57 PM

@dpa6 says:
    December 14, 2009 2:04 PM
    “Bill Belichick being a classy individual once again. This ass clown needs a swift kick to his massive gut.”
    ______________________________________
    You just cut and pasted your earlier Rex Ryan post to a Bill Belichik post. Get some new material.

34. The Real Shuxion says: Dec 14, 2009 3:07 PM

titanswearredsox says: December 14, 2009 2:35 PM
    ——————————————————
    I am a huge pats fan and if I were Indy I would not be scared. The Pats have no pass rush, so-so linebackers and a young developing secondary. They will need to average 45 a game to make a run.
    That said having Vollmer in and Kaczur on the bench sure helps.

35. Igottz5onit says: Dec 14, 2009 3:59 PM

I pay attention to everything NFL related, some call it sad. I call it passion, which reaffirms the previous opinion.

36. CarolinazKING says: Dec 14, 2009 4:02 PM

the fact is they shut em down and held the feared pats to 20.
    no matter how sully boi or whoever these pat ball lickers feel. its the truth.
    and the vikes arent gon do shyt 2 carolina’s corners.
    carolina againt the world.
    eff all of you.

37. yarlmak says: Dec 14, 2009 4:05 PM

@ Justin Pugh: “[Randy Moss] needs to know his role and shut his mouth.” Moss hasn’t opened his mouth. All he did was have a really bad game. It is everyone else that has been talking about Randy. He himself has not said a word, though.

38. Bob S. says: Dec 14, 2009 4:08 PM

belichick had so much respect for moss that just because in a snowstorm with traffic snarled up, moss was a couple of minutes late – SO belicheat sent him home.
    give me a break! how gullible yooud have to be to believe him now.
    belichick has lost his mind and much of his team!

39. StevieMo says: Dec 14, 2009 4:13 PM

I like the guy who said the Pats are just playing possum. Their last two losses and this latest stinker were so bad, I want to commend them on their academy award-winning performances. Bravo!

40. pilot08 says: Dec 14, 2009 4:16 PM

if the 2 teams switched qb’s, the panthers would have blown them out.

41. FatRex says: Dec 14, 2009 4:20 PM

@CarolinazKING:
    What???????????????
    Put a coherent sentence together, then come back. F*ck Carolina.

42. troy brown80 says: Dec 14, 2009 4:26 PM

izgottz5onit: the only two times i can recall belichick calling out an opponent like this are after they demolished pittsburgh (anthony smith’s guarentee) and after their second super bowl (freddy mitchell). belichick has (at least in his words) always been gracious in defeat. he only “runs his mouth” when he thinks his players have been disrespected.

43. GB3Pack4 says: Dec 14, 2009 4:29 PM

I wonder – if Belichick discarded his hoodie, would the team lose all its power … like Samson when Delilah cut his hair?

44. mixman34 says: Dec 14, 2009 4:29 PM

HAHA! Their about to get another L this weekend too.
    BLOWOUT… again.

45. mixman34 says: Dec 14, 2009 4:30 PM

HAHA! They’re about to get another L this weekend too.
    BLOWOUT… again.
    Vikings rule

46. JuicyMelon says: Dec 14, 2009 4:36 PM

CarolinazKING says:
    December 14, 2009 4:02 PM
    the fact is they shut em down and held the feared pats to 20.
    no matter how sully boi or whoever these pat ball lickers feel. its the truth.
    and the vikes arent gon do shyt 2 carolina’s corners.
    carolina againt the world.
    eff all of you.
    ___________________________________
    Actually the fact is that the Panthers lost yet another game. Unfortunately for you, the Vikes play the Panthers on Sunday night. This could be the last national televised game that Coach Fox and company get for a long time. The Vikings should blow out the Panthers on Sunday Night! Try and shut down Rice, AD will run over the Carolina D. Brag about shutting down AD and Favre will throw 4 TDs.
    The fact is, Carolina was class-less in this loss. Whether it is by one point or 100 points, a win is a win. Billy B was giving credit to some Panthers players earlier in the week and they repay him by doing what? Oh yeah, trashing a future Hall of Famer. Simply stupid.

47. CaptainFantastik says: Dec 14, 2009 4:50 PM

Did anybody ask Belichick why he only wants to “play for 60 full minutes” with his starters when his team is up by 35 points?

48. FireJerryJones says: Dec 14, 2009 5:10 PM

Meanwhile… Wes Welker had another unbelievable game. He takes some massive hits and hangs onto the ball.
    Gotta believe he’s not disclosing a concussion or two.

49. prophet of the light says: Dec 14, 2009 5:17 PM

A win is a win and a loss is a loss.
    The Patriots had a game plan, executed, and won. Sure, it was ugly, but in the end the Panthers plans to “shut down Moss” had no effect on the Patriots goals.
    If they had won, I’d worry about it but it’s very easy for a team that just finished a game with an opponent that they play once every 5 years to run their mouthes.
    If Carolina had to play the Patriots in a few weeks, I would imagine they’d have been gagged immediately.

50. Igottz5onit says: Dec 14, 2009 5:21 PM

The differences between those two examples and the current one is that those players talked smack (and as a Steelers fan I was not unhappy to see Anthony Smith go) before the game whereas the Panthers players were just simply stating the fact that Moss phoned it in this weekend. Instead of just saying he did not see that, Belichick basically sniped at the Panthers as a whole, essentially calling them losers. I probably could dig up some times prior to this that he took similar swipes instead of just doing his normal grunt and go interview but the only one that immediately comes to mind are the way he handled the “Spygate” controversy when Mangini first pointed it out, which did clearly cause Belichick some trouble. Now I’ll be the first to say I could be remembering this wrong so I apologize if that is the case but most people have to admit it is wierd for Belichick to rub salt in the wound of a team he has already beat and will not play again most likely for 3 years.

51. spyboots says: Dec 14, 2009 5:22 PM

“This is why Belichick is the greatest coach of all time.”
    By cheating.

52. Ross'sSweetMinus says: Dec 14, 2009 5:42 PM

Can we trust Belicheat?
    I would say no, he’s a cheating scum-bag.

53. PurpleRaid12 says: Dec 14, 2009 6:15 PM

Come Back home Randy!

54. JimmySmith says: Dec 14, 2009 6:34 PM

Here is a basic rule for all football players, if you lose the game, then shut up. Anything coming out of your mouth looks like sour grapes.
    if the Panthers had won, then I might pay attention to what Chris Gamble had to say but since he lost, who cares.

55. texasPHINSfan says: Dec 14, 2009 7:04 PM

I think it is pretty sad that Brady & Belichick are selling themselves and pandering to Moss.
    Moss *clearly* took that game off. How you can defend that is beyond me. Notice both guys tried to deflect instead of acknowledging. I think they’ve already decided they will baby Moss and give him whatever he wants or needs…. and that’s lame.
    They should stick to their guns, and Belichick should bench Moss if he isn’t going to play. Aiken is better than Moss when he’s not trying. Stop babying the guy and teach him a lesson.

56. CKL says: Dec 14, 2009 7:47 PM

# Igottz5onit says: December 14, 2009 5:21 PM
    _______________________________
    It’s true that those guys talked trash before the game (actually I feel what Smith did before the Steelers game with the Pats was worse than what he said in the paper anyway)while the Panthers guys talked after the game but more to the point of that other poster, they all showed blatant public disrespect for BB’s players. That’s the common theme.
    Oh and Pilot08 I don’t know about that. The only WR on your team worth a shit is #89. I know Brady’s had some pretty average WR corps but that one is worse than average (besides Smith). Your best corps even semi recently was the year you went to the SB and had Smith, Muhammad 6 years younger and Proehl. Tell your team to stop drafting those USC WRs and signing them as FAs. :)

57. Richm2256 says: Dec 14, 2009 11:00 PM

What a bunch of losers that Panthers team is!!!!
    Half the team stood in line to berate and criticize Randy Moss, completely oeverlooking the fact that THEIR TEAM F-ING LOST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Muhammed, Gamble, and that other turd need to STFU until they come out on top against an opponent.
    Best quote of the year is from Bill Belichick regarding these – and every other anti-Patriots clown:
    “Stats are for losers,” he said. “The final score is for winners.”
    Well said, Coach, well said!

58. KJS101abn says: Dec 14, 2009 11:13 PM

Funny Moss must be looking for another trade. He did the same thing to my Vikings. He even admitted taking plays off all the time.

59. stanjam says: Dec 15, 2009 12:47 AM

It was odd to see BB do this. Normally he doesn’t ever bash another team, but I guess he is tired of teams that can’t even win against a struggling Patriots team bash them.
    I think also he is, at some level, trying to instill some of the 2001 motivation for this team. The “no one believes in us but us” mentality. Trouble is, this is whole new batch of players, and I have no idea if they will buy into it the way that Harrison and some others did. Want Harrison to play his best, show him some evidence (even weak evidence) that the other team thinks his team isn’t really any good. He makes it a point to prove otherwise. One or two guys like that on a team and you have yourself a team that rises up to be better than perhaps they really ought to be. You have Welker, who really can inspire this offense, but who is the guy on defense? They really need someone who will inspire them. Perhaps now that Seau is playing, or perhaps Sanders or Springs. You need a guy who is PO’ed and goes out there to hit people, to always be around the ball and knocking heads. That was Harrison, but who is gonna play that role now. This defense really is pretty good, but they are VERY young, and need someone to motivate them when things are tough, keep them up when they are ahead so they don’t get lax, and get their blood boiling when they are tired, but still need that goal line stand.

60. packerssuck says: Dec 15, 2009 10:57 AM

All I want for Christmas is for online message boards, and the idiots who live on them, to go away.