Jags manage a sell out

There is much rejoicing in Jacksonville today.  Somehow, against all odds, the local NFL team has managed (with the ongoing assistance of 10,000 seats worth of tarp) to sell enough non-premium tickets to permit Thursday night’s regular-season home finale against the Colts to be televised locally.

The lifting of the blackout was announced by Mayor John Peyton and Carl Cannon, leader of the “Touchdown Jacksonville” movement.

“We’ve been labeled as having too many blackouts,” Cannon said, “but I believe we’re now headed in the right direction and soon there won’t be any.”

Still, it’s one thing for a playoff contender being visited by a 13-0 team quarterbacked by one of the greatest players in NFL history to sell enough tickets to avoid a perfect ten-for-ten blackout record.  It’s another thing to sustain it into 2010, especially if the team continues its recent trend of a good year followed by a bad year.

The proof ultimately will be in the week-in and week-out pudding.  This isn’t about energizing a political party’s base for a one-day trip to the polls.  This is about getting enough people sufficient interested in the team to devote ten days of the year to coming to the stadium and supporting the effort.

Whether it happens remains to be seen.  But we’ll leave you with this innocently ominous quote from the article appearing on the team’s official web site, from editor Vic Ketchman:  “What will follow this offseason will be most important and will go a long way toward determining the franchise’s future.”

So fear not, citizens of London.  The Shaguars might still be headed your way.

Permalink 41 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Indianapolis Colts, Jacksonville Jaguars, Rumor Mill, Sprint Football Live - Rumors, Top Stories
41 Responses to “Jags manage a sell out”
  1. dan073eb says: Dec 14, 2009 1:20 PM

I swear to God Florio jerks off to the idea of Jacksonville losing their team.

2. Duan says: Dec 14, 2009 1:22 PM

I am saying this as a Cleveland Brown fan, Jacksonville you better step up and start supporting! You are a southern city with a NFL stadium, which = opportunities to host Super Bowls, which generates revenues for the local economy.
    You don’t know what you have, until its gone!? You guys better start supporting that team, which is in a whole hell’a better shape than my favorite team!

3. evilboy128 says: Dec 14, 2009 1:26 PM

typical Florio, Can’t even report good Jaguar news (2 days kate , I might add) without his backhanded compliments and intentional jabs at the City and the Jaguars…Said it once..and will say it again…to you and your Florio nuthuggers, Merry Christmas and F*** you very much. Sincerly, The Citizens Of Jacksonville Florida.

4. JaxJagtixholder says: Dec 14, 2009 1:27 PM

(with the ongoing assistance of 10,000 seats worth of tarp)
    Give us a break Florio. Jacksonville’s stadium is larger than it should be for a city of that size. By the way, shouldn’t you be dating a cousin or something? Isn’t that what you people do in West Virginia?

5. MNRunLeft says: Dec 14, 2009 1:38 PM

Good for them, hopefully the people of Jacksonville will even remember to watch the game now that it’s on TV… and the fact that it’s a Thursday night game is probably going to add to the confusion.

6. goJags says: Dec 14, 2009 1:39 PM

draft a franchise QB and fire del rio. It’ll take care by itself of selling the tickets. People are tired of seeing the same old Garrard holding the ball too long and getting sacked.

7. piemaster says: Dec 14, 2009 1:42 PM

“a playoff contender being visited by a 13-0 team quarterbacked by one of the greatest players in NFL history ”
    Curtis Painter is one of the greatest players in NFL history?

8. wkedklwnz says: Dec 14, 2009 1:49 PM

Florio, I thought the jabs at Jacksonville were funny at first, and I am a very patient guy, but I think you are taking it to far, and have worn my patience out for your jabs. Everyday is a new slam to the city and the team for not selling out a game so far this year, until this week that is. I am not a Jacksonville fan, far from it, I didnt even like the town when I visited a couple of years ago, but “C’mon Man!” Lay off.

9. zygi milf says: Dec 14, 2009 1:50 PM

JaxJagtixholder says:
    December 14, 2009 1:27 PM
    (with the ongoing assistance of 10,000 seats worth of tarp)
    **************
    Give US a break, Jacksonville. Who told you to build a too-large stadium? Blame that on your owner or the city – whoever came up with the plan.
    And, the rest of us can blame the NFL for thinking that Jacksonville was more than an arena-league market.

10. kosarsmyidol says: Dec 14, 2009 1:54 PM

# dan073eb says: December 14, 2009 1:20 PM
    “I swear to God Florio jerks off to the idea of Jacksonville losing their team.”
    No, he doesn’t. However he [I]does[/I] clean up afterward with a Terrible Towel…

11. BENACCI says: Dec 14, 2009 1:59 PM

Why would there be a blackout for a NFL game that is on the NFL Network only anyways? You have to pay to get the NFL Network.

12. bosoxgator says: Dec 14, 2009 2:11 PM

There will be a large number of Colts jerseys at this game. The flight to FLA from Indy is about the same as a ticket at Lucas Oil.

13. deadmullet says: Dec 14, 2009 2:18 PM

“Whether it happens remains to be seen. But we’ll leave you with this innocently ominous quote from the article appearing on the team’s official web site, from editor Vic Ketchman: “What will follow this offseason will be most important and will go a long way toward determining the franchise’s future.”
    So fear not, citizens of London. The Shaguars might still be headed your way.”
    that quote isnt them leaving the city… Its them drafting Tebow!
    douchebag

14. Seeryer says: Dec 14, 2009 2:21 PM

zygi milf:
    You may have heard of the GA-FL game or the Gator Bowl game featuring college football teams. There is not one NFL game this season that has had more attendance than any GA-FL of the past 30 years nor the attendance that will be at this year’s Gator Bowl game. You see, maybe if Minnesota and Wisconsin were worth a shit in football they might have to have that game in a stadium the size of Jacksonville’s. Less people show up for Packers games than show up for FL vs GA college games. So you and Florio should get a room together and spoon until the Jags have another blackout.

15. BaltimoreSports says: Dec 14, 2009 2:23 PM

@Duan
    I say we swap the Browns and Jags. Keep the nams and records, just swap the players. That way your city gets a good team and Jax gets a team it’s city deserves.

16. Jeff Smith says: Dec 14, 2009 2:27 PM

I’m a Jag fan and our attendance has warranted any and all jokes from the national media.
    Hopefully the improved Miami attendance and this week’s sellout are harbingers of better times for the franchise, attendance-wise.

17. afcjags03 says: Dec 14, 2009 2:39 PM

LOL @ Florio
    Awwwww, poor Forio, bet you had something drawn up already for the Jaguars to make it perfect this season with blackouts. You were ready to post that sucker up and then, “Jags games will not be blacked”, dang Florio, bet you wasted a lot of time gearing your article up, and then bam, Jax disses you by selling out the game.
    Now why don’t you focus on the Raiders who have, or will have, as many blackouts and average less fans than us per home game.

18. 1of40000 says: Dec 14, 2009 2:44 PM

I don’t think you’re biased on this issue but damn if you don’t fail to be funny.
    Suck it grammer teacher

19. Jag4Life says: Dec 14, 2009 3:27 PM

Wow, still mentioning the tarp. Florio is no dummy. He only mention’s the same sh@t b/c he knows most of the people on here are ignorant and lean on his every word. He knows the real reason behind the tarp and he knows Jax never having a problem selling tickets. The problem is he knows that the ignorant public doesn’t know the history and it makes him feel larger than life.
    @ZYGI MILF: Obviously you’re a Vikings fan. I don’t think you’re in ANY position to offer stadium advice. Just go back to the farm and milk the cows for the day. Also you guys have sold your soul to the devil with Lord Farve. The sooner you lose in the playoffs the better the football world will be.

20. zygi milf says: Dec 14, 2009 3:29 PM

Seeryer says:
    December 14, 2009 2:21 PM
    zygi milf:
    ************
    Ah – the college football argument.
    Fail.
    I don’t watch it, I don’t read about it, I don’t give a shit about it.
    I can’t imagine people in Jacksonville venturing out of their trailers when the temp drops below 50 degrees.
    ********
    “So you and Florio should get a room together and spoon until the Jags have another blackout.”
    When is their next home game after Indy?

21. WashingtonRedstorms says: Dec 14, 2009 3:30 PM

Jag fans don’t worry LA does not want your team.
    Your team will reside in Florida for good.
    Theres a reason Weaver put”Jacksonville” on your new uniforms.
    Hint Hint Hint…..

22. Pudge Heffelfinger says: Dec 14, 2009 3:32 PM

Clearly the solution for the Jaguars is to build a 50,000 seat stadium so they can sell it out every week. THEN and only THEN will Florio be happy.

23. dan073eb says: Dec 14, 2009 3:46 PM

zygi milf says: December 14, 2009 3:29 PM:
    “Also – not that I care about the Packers, but if their stadium was the size of the Jags stadium, they would sell it out. Even in December when it’s 10 below zero.”
    If jacksonville was founded in 1919 like when the packers were founded, and had 90 years to build a fan base then I’m sure the jags would have just as many loyal fans as Green Bay. But since the jaguars have only been in the league since ’95 they’re still drawing fans and building a fan base. Hell I’m sure some of the original fans in ’95 haven’t even had kids yet so their kids can grow up jaguars fans. They will grow, they just need time.

24. dan073eb says: Dec 14, 2009 3:51 PM

kosarsmyidol says: December 14, 2009 1:54 PM:
    Well then that explains why he can’t even say something good, he’s in a shitty mood. I think I would be in a shitty mood too if my team lost to kansas city, oakland and cleveland too practically knock themselves out of the playoffs.

25. Dilagable says: Dec 14, 2009 3:56 PM

After attending the game yesterday in Jacksonville I can see why no one goes. The stadium is a dump in a dump area. It reminded me of an over glorified highschool stadium. I saw more Dolfans than Jags. The concessions were a joke. The bathrooms might as well been gas station bathrooms. I fealt like there was going to be a driveby in the tailgating area. The Jags moving to LA or another suitable city would be doing the NFL a favor.

26. chris says: Dec 14, 2009 4:50 PM

Jag 4Life, Were you been? I was there looking for you in the sea of aqua and orange Miami fans,but sadly i could not find you.”Wow, still mentioning the tarp. Florio is no dummy. He only mention’s the same sh@t b/c he knows most of the people on here are ignorant and lean on his every word. He knows the real reason behind the tarp and he knows Jax never having a problem selling tickets. ”
    AND THE REAL REASON THE TARPS ARE THERE? CAN NOT WAIT TO HEAR HIS ANSWER!..PS..THEY WERE NOT THERE FOR THE FIRST FEW YEARS! OH IN CASE YOU REALLY DID NOT KNOW THE REASON, HERE IT IS,”Jacksonville Municipal Stadium, located near the banks of the St. Johns River, is the current home of the Jaguars and has been since the team’s first season in 1995. The stadium has a capacity of over 76,000 but approximately 10,000 seats are covered during Jaguars’ home games reducing the stadium’s capacity to 67,164. The seats were covered before the 2005 season in response to declining ticket sales and the large capacity of the stadium relative to Jacksonville’s population”

27. chris says: Dec 14, 2009 4:53 PM

HUH? “You may have heard of the GA-FL game or the Gator Bowl game featuring college football teams. There is not one NFL game this season that has had more attendance than any GA-FL of the past 30 years nor the attendance that will be at this year’s Gator Bowl game” WHAT ARE U TALKING ABOUT? Cowboys had 100K at a couple of games this year. Washington redskins hold close to 100k for EVERY game.

28. 15yearjagsfan says: Dec 14, 2009 4:57 PM

Dilagble you neglected to point out which fine city you were from so we could tell you our thoughts on it’s stadium. I have been to most of the NFL stadiums including the new ones and they are all the same. the NFL has standards that have to be met and there are more negative items for Dolphin Stadium from the NFL than most. The last time I was at Dolphin Stadium that had SWAT Teams posted at every exit on each level.

29. Seeryer says: Dec 14, 2009 4:57 PM

Zygi,
    I wouldn’t care about loser football programs that surround me either if I lived in the god awful North. The Colt’s new stadium holds 63,000. The Jags sold over 60,000 tickets to the game yesterday. Granted many were Dolphins but a pretty good showing nonetheless. If Favre wasn’t on the Vikings ya’ll would have had trouble selling games out. All you Jag haters need to calm down. This country has suffered through its biggest financial crisis in a few genarations and league wide attendance is down. People are hurting in this country. Lets see how things look in Jacksonville over the next few years before we kick the city out of the NFL. Would you like to f–k Zigy’s mom? I don’t know how else to read your screen name.

30. Seeryer says: Dec 14, 2009 5:03 PM

Dilagable,
    What are you talking about? The stadium in Jacksonville is better than where the Dolphins play. A dump stadium in a dump area? Who the f are you, Warren Buffett? Did you need someone to powder your nose in the bathroom stall? You sound like a country club douche bag. I am sure I ran into you yesterday because Douche Bag Dolfans were in abundance.

31. chris says: Dec 14, 2009 5:18 PM

15yearjagsfan “The last time I was at Dolphin Stadium that had SWAT Teams posted at every exit on each level.” yes they do in preperation of the SUPER BOWL security detail! DOUCHBAG
    I’ll take our renovated,privately funded, sold out for 10 str8 years over your dump anyday of the week dude.
    LIKE WHAT DUDE?”the NFL has standards that have to be met and there are more negative items for Dolphin Stadium ” IF YOU ARE REFERRING TO GOODELLS VISIT THERE LAST WEEK? WHAT EXACTLY DID HE MENTION THAT NEEDS TO BE CHANGED?
    The only current flaw in the stadium is lighting for hi-def night games and the sideline seats are too far form the field. Nothing can be done until the MIami Marlins move into there new dome home in ’12. At least we own our stadium and our owners spent $250,000,000.00 renovated it with new bathrooms, new hi-def video boards,ribbon displays, brand new club level, new suites, new consession stands, flat screens everwere,new entry gates, wider concourses. What has your owner done? other then ordering tarps to cover up seats?

32. chris says: Dec 14, 2009 5:26 PM

Seeryer “The stadium in Jacksonville is better than where the Dolphins play” YOU ARE KIDDING RIGHT DUDE? HOW MANY SUPER BOWLS HAS YOUR STADIUM HOSTED? HOW MANY HAVE WE? WE ARE LOCATED IN THE CITY OF MIAMI GARDENS, WHICH HAS THE LOWEST CRIME RATE OF ANY CITY IN THE COUNTY OF MIAMI-DADE. PLUS WE DO NOT NEED TARPS COVERING ANY SECTION OF OUR 75,547 SEAT STADIUM WHICH HAS BEEN SOLD OUT FOR 10 STR8 YEARS.
    BTW, I LIVE IN TAMPA AND TRAVEL BY CAR TO EVER DOLPHINS HOME GAME AND YEA I BEEN TO JMS AND RJS IN TAMPA. PLUS 18 OTHER STADIUMS.

33. chris says: Dec 14, 2009 5:29 PM

SEERYER “I am sure I ran into you yesterday because Douche Bag Dolfans were in abundance” JEALOUS BECAUSE WE TRAVEL WELL AND OVERRAN YOUR STADIUM? EVEN YOUR OWN NEWSPAPER WAS QUOTED AS SAYING THERE WAS OVER 35K DOUCHE BAG DOLFAN FANS THERE! IT WAS GLORIOUS!
    PS..IN CASE I HAVE NOT MENTIONED IT YET, WE DO NOT NEED ANY TARPS COVERING UP OUR STADIUM SEATS!

34. zygi milf says: Dec 14, 2009 6:21 PM

Seeryer says:
    December 14, 2009 4:57 PM
    “league wide attendance is down.”
    ****
    Oh really? League wide? Prove it. If that were the case, there would be blackouts all over the league, since a sellout is required. Therefore, a decrease in ticket sales “league wide” would result in “league wide” blackouts.
    Just another Floridiot.
    **************
    “Would you like to f–k Zigy’s mom? I don’t know how else to read your screen name.”
    ****
    I doubt that Zygi’s mom is still a milf, considering his age. Maybe you are into bopping old ladies, but I’m not. My screen name is Z-Y-G-I (space) M-I-L-F. Zygi Milf. You see, it’s kind of a play on Vikings owner Zygi Wilf’s name. Not to many other words end in ilf. I simply changed the W to an M. Genious, right? Understand? Comprendes? Got it?
    You see, you could have been creative with your Jags’ owners name and called yourself “Wayne Beaver” as a play on Wayne Weaver. But, you didn’t think of that, did you? You called yourself “Seeryer”. What is a seeryer? Is it seer-yer, or is it see-ry-er?

35. Jag4Life says: Dec 14, 2009 6:49 PM

@chris:
    What are you so mad at you at? The Dolphins won, chill the f@ck out. I don’t mind the Dolphins, I’ve always liked the Phins just so happen I’m a hard Jags fan now and have since 95′. As far as the Dolphins selling out. You said 11 year straight sellout two days ago, now it’s 10. I don’t know about sellout but I can tell you in 2006 and 2007 you we ranked 31 out of 32 teams for attendance and we’re Jax ranked 16th. So who cares, bottom i give props where they are due. The Phins won. We actually beat ourselves, but it is what it is. See you around tough guy.

36. Sara says: Dec 14, 2009 6:59 PM

I was 8 when i went to my first Jags game, it was a preseason game against the Packers and I will NEVER forget that for the rest of my life. I have turned my nieces and nephews into big Jaguar fans, even my 1 yr old niece and 5 yr old nephew that don’t live in Florida – they LOVE the Jaguars. (yes, even the 1 yr old! Go Jagyers as she would say!) And one day when I have kids, they will be huge Jaguar fans like me. I’m so tired of reading this shit every time I come on here. Yes, we have 10,000 seats covered but the stadium was built as big as it is because of the Fl/Ga game..give us a break and let us celebrate getting ONE game sold out this year! Goodness!!! Go Jags :)

37. Seeryer says: Dec 14, 2009 9:02 PM

Chris,
    Congrats on the win yesterday. So sorry you had to go to a game at the NFL’s welfare queen franchise. It must really hurt you that the last game your beloved Queerino played in he was stomped 62-7 at that podunk stadium you had the unfortune of escaping alive from SUN. Try not to lose 2 of your next 3 so the Jags make another playoff appearance while MIA sits at home. What is MIA playoff record since 1995? 3-6. The Jags are 5-6. That hurts doesn’t it? Lil ole J-ville not only has more playoff wins in the last 15 years but also authored the most embarassing loss in NFL playoff history. Maybe any professional playoff game for that matter.

38. Dilagable says: Dec 14, 2009 9:40 PM

Seeryer. Every item I mentioned, Landshark Stadium does heads above Jacksonville Municipal. There are more concessions at LS with better choices for food than hot dogs and popcorn. The beer is cheaper at LS and does not run out forcing me to buy a more expensive bottled beer like I did at JM. There are larger and more bathrooms at LS. LS does not have a little ledge for a balcony like JM but a very very large area with specialty bars and other fan oriented activities. The tailgating at LS is directly surrounding the stadium for ALL patrons and not spread around. LS goes all out for fans with many free pregame activities with bands, games and more. LS has 2 huge HD screens at either side of the field not some baseball scoreboard screens like JM. There is a reason LS gets celebrities showing up to every game and I am not talking minority owner celebrities either. I guess I just expected more for my money like I was accustomed to. Must be why your stadium is empty and LS is packed and sold out every game.

39. jaxcardfan says: Dec 14, 2009 11:30 PM

To bad immigration wasnt posted at the gates yesterday or there would have only been a few hundred fins fans at the game.

40. El Duderino says: Dec 15, 2009 12:54 AM

@Dilagable
    Well a few of your Fins fans told me they wished an Outback stand existed in there stadium.
    Oh, and I bought myself a Bud heavy at the end of the third, but I guess they were sold out where you were sitting, of course.
    I will give you props though, rubbing elbows with the likes of some or your celebs is pretty cool, I just find it hard to believe that it was you sitting up in the nose bleeds.
    WE GET IT…………….YOU THINK YOUR STADIUM IS BETTER THEN THE REST OF THE LEAGUE. Wars need to be won.

41. 15yearjagsfan says: Dec 15, 2009 11:47 AM

Diagable The last time the Dol fins had a playoff game at home it was blacked out. There is a real south of the border feel at LandShark when you are drinking your longnecks and Swat teams with AK-47’s on thier arms are keeping thier eyes on you.