Big Show meets with Browns brass

At a time when it appears that Mike Holmgren’s path back to the Seattle front office might not be as clear as he’d like and that the Browns could be closing in on hiring Floyd Reese or Tim Ruskell, the man known as the Big Show has gone to Cleveland.

After weeks of rumblings that Holmgren could be asked to lead the long-suffering franchise out of its current mess (Thursday night notwithstanding), Holmgren spent Monday afternoon and evening meeting with the Browns, according to Pat McManamon of the Akron Beacon Journal.

In an interview earlier this month with KJR radio, Holmgren said that he wants to be “very active” in his new role with a new team (even if it’s his old team, the Seahawks).

And while Holmgren explained that he doesn’t think it’s fair to fire a head coach after only one season, he seemed to leave the door slightly ajar for giving a guy the one-and-done treatment, possibly in the event that he’s calling the shots in Cleveland.

“I never thought [firing a coach after one year] was fair, as a coach,”
Holmgren said.  “As a management person, you might have to make . . . a
very difficult decision that way, if in your opinion you think it’s
absolutely going in the wrong direction.  But those situations are
really few and far between.”

So stay tuned.  We have a feeling Eric Mangini will.

Permalink 27 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Cleveland Browns, Rumor Mill, Seattle Seahawks, Sprint Football Live - Rumors, Top Stories
27 Responses to “Big Show meets with Browns brass”
  1. The Coop says: Dec 15, 2009 9:53 AM

ANYONE is better than what they’ve had since 1999……. even Lord Florio.
    But, “Big Show,” if you want to coach……. go to Seattle.

2. Cleveland Sucks aka Philly Sewer Rat says: Dec 15, 2009 10:00 AM

It doesn’t matter who Cleveland brings in. That team is jinxed. Bringing the CLOWNS back was by far one of the worst mistakes the league made.
    P.S. Cleveland Steamer=The gift that keeps on giving.

3. chunky soupy sales says: Dec 15, 2009 10:01 AM

was there a Chris Jericho sighting?

4. RSS says: Dec 15, 2009 10:03 AM

Holmgren has a home & radio show in Seattle and my guess is that he’s interviewing in Cleveland as leverage in negotiations with the Seahawks.

5. Mandingo52 says: Dec 15, 2009 10:11 AM

Cleveland Sucks aka Philly Sewer Rat says:
    December 15, 2009 10:00 AM
    P.S. Cleveland Steamer=The gift that keeps on giving.
    ———————-
    Say what you want, but the Brownies took a HUGE “Cleveland Steamer” on your below average Steelers last Thursday….I think you have your own mess to worry about than the Browns.

6. GoBrowns19 says: Dec 15, 2009 10:11 AM

Haha, that was my first thought too….that Jericho was going to run the Browns. The sad part is, it didn’t really surprise me at all!

7. RSS says: Dec 15, 2009 10:12 AM

RSS

8. trickbunny says: Dec 15, 2009 10:22 AM

Cleveland Sucks aka Philly Sewer Rat says:
    December 15, 2009 10:00 AM
    P.S. Cleveland Steamer=The gift that keeps on giving.
    ————————————————-
    TRANSLATION: “I’m a lonely, lonely man. Will someone please look at me? I’m over here! Hell-O!! Won’t somebody please show me attention? Please? This is why I only post when I see a Browns story I can dump on- because my ass/mouth (one and the same) prevents me from ever saying intelligent and more people pay attention to me when shit is coming out of my face. Please folks- I have no life, no wife, no girlfriend, everyone at my job thinks I’m a fat loser, and my parents ignored me. Plllleeeeease pay attention to me.”

9. Cleveland Sucks aka Philly Sewer Rat says: Dec 15, 2009 10:25 AM

Yes the Browns beat the Steelers, its not the end of the world. Every blind squirrel finds a nut.

10. Asswipe Johnson (Pronounced Az-Wee-Pay) says: Dec 15, 2009 10:29 AM

RSS says:
    “Local radio in Cleveland has the Dolphins plane at Burke Lakefront airport here in Cleveland.
    RSS”
    The new trifecta…Bill Parcells, Charlie Weiss and Al Groh.

11. js136202 says: Dec 15, 2009 10:39 AM

Cleveland Sucks aka Philly Sewer Rat
    There is something disturbing about a guy who makes a point of posting on EVERY Browns-related post to voice their disdain for a team that hasn’t been good in 20 years. It’s one thing to hate the Pats or Colts, but hating a team and making a point to insult them when they’re 2-11 is bad karma.
    PS, good game on Thursday

12. sammm says: Dec 15, 2009 10:42 AM

Parcells for Czar! Let him pick a GM and coach!

13. daffy87 says: Dec 15, 2009 11:03 AM

I’d be ok with Floyd Reese. He did a good job with the Titans for several years, especially on the defensive side of the ball. He draft guys like Albert Haynesworth, Jevon Kearse, Keith Bulluck, & Michael Griffin. He did also draft Pacman Jones and Vince Young. He has said on tv that he regrets taking a risk on Pacman like he did, but basically saw so much talent he couldn’t pass on it. Vince Young is still a huge question mark to me. I think Floyd would do an alright job here, better than Holmgren or Ruskell.

14. Cleveland Sucks aka Philly Sewer Rat says: Dec 15, 2009 11:13 AM

I love pointing out how much the Browns suck. Get used to it, your team is a joke. Obviously I struck a nerve with some of you, don’t be pissed me at me. You need to be mad at yourselves….you’re the retards that cheer for a team that sucks. I’m sure Matt Millen would love to work for the Browns!!! Like seriously how much money have you jackasses wasted on tickets, merchandise, etc??? At least my team can actually reward their fans with hardware, i.e. Lombardi trophy.

15. Philly is Full of Fags aka ErieRat says: Dec 15, 2009 11:19 AM

I would prefer Reese to the others as well. Better track record evaluating talent. Homgren was a good coach, but the GM side wasn’t the greatest, though he was trying to juggle both.

16. Omega says: Dec 15, 2009 11:32 AM

PhillySewer Rat, well I don’t have a dog, or Dawg, in this fight. But it seems to me that it takes a lot more strength to support a losing team like the Browns than to support the Steelers, or Eagles, or Pats, or Colts ……
    Personally I respect any fan who stays true to their code. Don’t have much love for front runners or bandwagoners.

17. brownsfanforlife says: Dec 15, 2009 11:48 AM

Cleveland Sucks aka Philly Sewer Rat says:
    December 15, 2009 11:13 AM
    ————————————————-
    Im sorry i forgot how good the steelers were, they haven’t won a game in the last five weeks. They have lost to the the raiders, kansas city, and the browns. You guys lost to the browns, the browns as of right now are a better football team then the steelers. You guys suck, the only reason you are any good is because you have troy polamalu and since he is hurt your team can’t win a game. You guys won’t win a game for the rest of the season and next year we will be taking more cleveland steamers on your joke of a team than we did last week with no name practice squad players.
    p.s. pit is the joke of the league right now

18. JoeSixPack says: Dec 15, 2009 11:56 AM

I guess we can infer that Holmgren believes that even in less than one full season Mangnini has the team going in the WRONG direction.
    I fail to see how a new coach is going to be “starting over” in Cleveland and how that’s somehow going to delay potential development of the team.
    The one and only thing one can give Mangini credit for is disassembling a bad team. There’s been no credible effort to build it up – YET. And I’d prefer to let someone with a proven track record to the re-building rather than the guy who hire Kokinis and botched up so many other aspects of this team.

19. bloodystupidjohnson says: Dec 15, 2009 11:59 AM

Florio get on the ball: Tony Grossi has just reported that Holmgren agent is with him. According to Grossi this means that a deal might be very near.

20. Cleveland Sucks aka Philly Sewer Rat says: Dec 15, 2009 12:13 PM

@ brownsfanforlife
    I love how you mentioned “next year”, the last time I checked the phrase the sums up Cleveland best, besides mistake by the lake, is “There’s always next year.” I will be the first to admit that Pittsburgh has shit the bed this year. The difference between Pittburgh and Cleveland is that Steelers fan don’t have to look forward to NEXT YEAR after the first month of the season is complete like Clowns fans.

21. GoBROWNS says: Dec 15, 2009 12:27 PM

22. packers4life says: Dec 15, 2009 12:54 PM

“Way to go Randy hire a fat lazy guy with no background or interest in personnel to run the team.”
    No background? Dude Holmgren has been to three Super Bowls. How is that not a background?

23. The Coop says: Dec 15, 2009 1:07 PM

@Sewer Rat

Dude, you don’t bother any of us or strike nerves in any of us. You’re the quintessential pipsqueak douschebag that is a tough guy from behind the monitor. No one cares about you or your dumb posts. I’m sure the number of times your posts have elicited laughter can be counted on one hand.
    I’d be willing to bet you never played a down of football in your life. Lord knows how you found this site. What’s the matter? Did TMZ take away your posting privileges?
    “You’ve” been rewarded with hardware, huh? So where in your spacious trailer home do you display YOUR Lombardi? Just wondering.
    Face it, bro….. your team got embarrassed on national TV by a group of no-name free agent rejects and all you have to say is a tired old saying about a blind squirrel? Really? Is that the best you can do, big mouth?
    You’re a chump, and if I see you in the Steel City, I will fight you. Unfortunately, I do not go to Schenley Park at night, so I probably won’t see you.

24. finsbooyah says: Dec 15, 2009 1:28 PM

RSS,
    Parcells isn’t going anywhere, he’s too busy enjoying 18 rounds of golf in the sun. Who the hell would want to leave South Florida in favor of Cleveland anyway?

25. Cleveland Sucks aka Philly Sewer Rat says: Dec 15, 2009 2:12 PM

@ COOP
    Bring it on bitch, let me know when and where. I won’t back down from a dirtbag Clevelander.

26. goodcall says: Dec 15, 2009 2:48 PM

@sewage
    I changed your title a bit to not insult the rats in your home. Sorry dick head but Browns fans are the best at being behind their team year in and year out. We will get the the show sometime and be happy for it. Good luck with Coop I think he will kick your ass.

27. BorisBulldog says: Dec 15, 2009 2:54 PM

Hey Sewer Rat?
    The beat down the Browns gave your boyfriend Big Jen hurts doesn’t it?
    Get ready for mor of the same in ’10 troll azz!