DeMarcus Ware feels better, wants to play

DeMarcus Ware thinks he’ll be ready to play on Saturday night against the New Orleans Saints, just six days after he was taken off the field on a stretcher with what looked at first like a serious neck injury.

Whether Ware will be able to convince the doctors he’s ready is a separate issue.

“To be honest I feel 100 percent better than [Monday] and better than after the game,” Ware said, per Todd Archer of the Dallas Morning News. “I feel a lot better. A lot of the strength in my neck is back, so I’m happy right now.”

Ware isn’t practicing yet, but he said he’s hoping that after another MRI on Wednesday the doctors will tell him he can go against the Saints. Still, Ware said he’s prepared to accept whatever the doctors tell him.

“If they tell me not to play, I won’t,” Ware said, “because the doctors, they know more than I do. Sometimes you can feel good but maybe just that next impact you can make it even worse than it is.”

Permalink 26 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Dallas Cowboys, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
26 Responses to “DeMarcus Ware feels better, wants to play”
  1. lukestrass says: Dec 15, 2009 3:27 PM

Yay! Demarcus is back!! Just in time for the Cowboys inevitable December collapse. Who cares?

2. magsdad1 says: Dec 15, 2009 3:28 PM

Don’t do it.

3. mattitude says: Dec 15, 2009 3:29 PM

“because the doctors, they know more than I do.”
    You don’t say…..

4. chapnasty says: Dec 15, 2009 3:31 PM

Please for the love of all that is holy let him heal and play. He is the only way there is any shot Dallas keeps it close.

5. boysroll says: Dec 15, 2009 3:32 PM

wow…this will be a bonus if he is medically cleared to play after that horrible play. We need him to pressure brees and if he plays I have a strong feeling my boys win this one. Aints have been struggling lately.
    Who else should destroy the aints undefeated streak but America’s Team…..get us some confidence to roll past the 4skins and beagles…who knows….steelers from a few years ago……….GO KICK SOME TAIL BOYS!!!

6. Kevin from Philly says: Dec 15, 2009 3:36 PM

Those doctors are paid by Jerry Jones – does anybody think they won’t clear Ware to play?

7. Bedhead says: Dec 15, 2009 3:44 PM

Good to hear he’s okay.
    Seems like more players are carted off on stretchers these days only to turn out to have minor or insignificant injuries. I guess since these guys make so much money now, the trainers are more cautious.
    I’m not complaining, but about the time you’re wondering if the guy will ever walk again, he comes strolling back out to the sideline in his street clothes. Twenty years ago if you saw a guy being strapped to a board you KNEW it was very serious.

8. purplepuzzyeatrz says: Dec 15, 2009 3:47 PM

yeah…..he had a concussion alright!
    dallas is toast

9. Bird Man says: Dec 15, 2009 3:55 PM

So he was faking then?

10. stevemcguigan says: Dec 15, 2009 3:59 PM

Good luck to him. He’s a class act that deserves a better team.

11. purplepuzzyeatrz says: Dec 15, 2009 4:17 PM

NO ……bird man…I was saying that his head must be woozy to take spine injury then play again….just seems silly…..

12. jkorn1818 says: Dec 15, 2009 4:21 PM

Maybe he should start tackling the opposing team and stop diving into his own players and he wont have to wave to the fans and miss their playoff collapse.

13. Eagles Baghdaddy says: Dec 15, 2009 4:32 PM

This guy was carted off the field and may need another MRI later in the week. No way should he be allowed to step back on to the field six days after the injury occurred. Clearly this guy is not thinking in the long term and in the absence of that thinking. The team should be held responsible for providing that thinking by shutting him down for the next game.

14. cobrala2 says: Dec 15, 2009 4:39 PM

As an Eagles fan I’m disappointed in these lame-ass jokes. C’mon guys, you can do better than that! :-(

15. shazard01 says: Dec 15, 2009 4:51 PM

He shouldn’t play! He’s already had a wrist and foot injury. He wasn’t faking, it’s not he crawls around on the ground and gets helped off the field and they comes out one or two plays later like another NFC East defensive player.

16. Bob S. says: Dec 15, 2009 4:53 PM

whether he plays or not the favored and superior saints won’t show up as usually happens in nationally televised games that take all the betting action for the day.

17. StephenJonesPlease says: Dec 15, 2009 4:57 PM

@cobra
    Thanks for your input. I was about to rail the egirls about not beating the division leader to take first place (as usual the eagles benefit from other teams victories and FALL into the playoffs again.)(I wish big D would fall into the playoffs instead of out of them)
    But I will leave that alone for now. Glad D’ware is ok and glad B’west is on track to play again for yall. Those two guys have kept each others team in the hunt year after year.
    Class Acts.

18. KILLER FIN says: Dec 15, 2009 5:05 PM

won’t matter the Saints WILL beat the poop out of the Cowboys!!!

19. mikeoxlong says: Dec 15, 2009 5:17 PM

Will jerry and his medical “yes men” allow him to risk a severe injury just to improve their extremely low chances of beating N.O. ?
    YOU BET HE/THEY WILL!
    Ware is a warrior, but he should think hard about rushing back for an unwinnable game.

20. sugarlips says: Dec 15, 2009 5:52 PM

********************************
    Delusion runs deep in Dallas. Glad to see nothing has changed. You boys are not walking out of the Dome with a win…Sorry.

21. troll_aikman8 says: Dec 15, 2009 5:57 PM

By the looks of his face, Jerry Jones definitely has some of Whacko Jacko’s doctors on call. I’m sure one of them will clear DWare.

22. chunky soupy sales says: Dec 15, 2009 6:46 PM

Kevin from philly.
    Maybe he could buy some pain killers from Andy Reids clan.
    You guys are so pure up there.

23. cowboysfannomatterwhat says: Dec 15, 2009 6:50 PM

No matter who you are a fan of, you should be happy that a great player like Ware is ok and will play again. You should be ashamed to take a moment like this to cut on the Cowboys or any other team. The theme of this article is that a great player of the great game of football is ok and will probably play again this weekend! If you really are a fan of the game you should see it that way.

24. Doc Holliday says: Dec 15, 2009 8:30 PM

I beg to differ. Mr. Ware should not play at all. Dallas cowboys are just a poorly coached team. There’s plenty of talent in this team, but as Wyatt Earp always put it; no GUTS NO GLORY. This gentleman Phillips should pack his belongings and leave dodge. We need a hard nosed, fire spittin, bad breathed, no nonsense coach like Jimmie johnson or Cactus jack back in my day. Not this Johny Ringo type fellow; I despise cheerleaders in coaches bustles. In my prime, I would have come down there and cleaned up this jerry world mess, but Im retired. On the other hand, because cowboys fans are hurtn, let me buzz a few friends : Wyatt Earp, Texas Jack, Turkey Creek Jack Johnson, Jesse James, Billy the Kid just to a few and we will surely get things taken care of…watch during the commercials…but first we need horse GPS to get down there, a few beers for the horses and a crate of whisky for the boys, and oh before I forget I need to call Tiger for a couple of his old ladies if doesnt mind….

25. Lance19 says: Dec 16, 2009 2:45 AM

Ware was misquoted.
    What he actually said was:
    “…because the doctors,
    they know more than I do.
    But not as much as Hines Ward does.”

26. pdub1970 says: Dec 16, 2009 1:12 PM

Romo is playing pretty well here in December but the Cowboys are still done. I hope, by some miracle though, that they beat the Saints and give my Vikes a shot a home field (so you’re sayin there’s a chance)