Childress concerned about Harvin's headaches

A day after Vikings coach Brad Childress said he expected to have wide receiver Percy Harvin back on the practice field, Childress now says he’s increasingly concerned about how migraine headaches are affecting his star rookie.

He’s been having them for a good period of time,” Childress said today. “It’s important for us to get some kind of baseline if we can, doctor-wise, and yet still know that [the migraines] are fairly unpredictable.”

Harvin was on the field for a walk-through but was not on the field today for the portion of practice that is open to the media.

Harvin has had migraines for most of his life, but Childress acknowledged that the team didn’t realize the extent to which migraines would affect Harvin when they made him their first-round draft pick in April.

“[We] really didn’t. [We] just knew that it said migraine headaches on the scouting report,” Childress said. “Just so we’re clear, it wouldn’t have been a disqualifier or anything like that. But I think anybody that reads the scouting report, I don’t know that we look into it and say, ‘Oh, boy, to what extent?’ Not to the point where he’s missed a bunch of games or anything like that. We’ll be wiser next time and, again, it’s just something that we have to learn and deal with.”

The Vikings don’t yet know whether Harvin will be able to deal with his migraines well enough to play in the Vikings’ Sunday night game against the Carolina Panthers.

Permalink 78 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Minnesota Vikings, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
78 Responses to “Childress concerned about Harvin's headaches”
  1. hizzle1281 says: Dec 16, 2009 3:13 PM

Puzzy Harvin

2. Cleveland Sucks aka Philly Sewer Rat says: Dec 16, 2009 3:13 PM

We all know why Percy was smoking pot…cause of the migraines.

3. cusoman says: Dec 16, 2009 3:15 PM

The great and powerful cusonac will now predict the future:
    A Packer fan who dabbles in being an internet MD (webMD is de facto afterall!) will make the full jump to the conclusion that because Harvin keeps getting these and that they are “unpredictable”, that it is somehow related to his past and marijuana.
    cusonac has spoken.

4. jeremiah says: Dec 16, 2009 3:16 PM

prolly why he was puffin the buddah at Flo.

5. leatherneck says: Dec 16, 2009 3:18 PM

Have him take some garlic.

6. stiller43 says: Dec 16, 2009 3:20 PM

I’ve heard pot helps migraines.

7. Ambrose says: Dec 16, 2009 3:20 PM

I have to admit that this isn’t fair to this kid. I am sure he wants to be out there and contributing as much as the next guy, but can’t. It would be a shame if this is a problem that continued to affect him for the rest of his career. I wonder if he has had to play in this condition or if he (instead) simply stays away until it clears up?

8. cusoman says: Dec 16, 2009 3:21 PM

So let it be written, so let it be done.
    *meditates*

9. GBP says: Dec 16, 2009 3:24 PM

Shoulda done the homework chilly baby.

10. Hauschild says: Dec 16, 2009 3:25 PM

Hope he plays – I’m primed for my Fantasy Football title – no Harvin and I’d have to start Ocho-Stinko who’s about as consistent as loose stools.

11. leatherneck says: Dec 16, 2009 3:27 PM

Hold on. Garlic intake can cause migraines. Probably don’t want to do that.
    To me it sounds like Harvin has been regularly taking medicine to reduce the frequency of migraines. As the Wikipedia article on migraines says, though, you can get migraines from taking too much migraine medicine.
    Lay off the medicine a little bit.

12. gopher says: Dec 16, 2009 3:27 PM

I think that anybody who posts a negative comment regarding Harvin and his migraine headaches have never had one or they would not comment unless they are just plain stupid.

13. bluestree says: Dec 16, 2009 3:27 PM

leatherhead; why not take Garlique instead?
    Here’s what Chilly should take, a break from talking to the media. Every time he does he comes of as more inane than the last time.

14. cheddar is beddar says: Dec 16, 2009 3:27 PM

move to LA + medicinal green = problem solved

15. texasPHINSfan says: Dec 16, 2009 3:30 PM

It really is sad that Childress has to defend his due diligence on Harvin from the draft because of his headaches. Harvin has already pretty much locked up Rookie of the Year honors. I’d take his production all day long with his migraines if i was a NFL GM.
    I’m a chronic migraine sufferer and definitely can empathize with Percy. The best thing I have experienced in treating my migraines is illegal for some unknown reason. Perhaps this is why Harvin partakes….

16. leatherneck says: Dec 16, 2009 3:32 PM

One more thing. Fatigue is a known cause of some migraines. Harvin has now played a complete season from a college perspective.
    Maybe Harvin is fatigued. In that case, keeping him inactive and letting him rest is the best thing to do.

17. The Hormel Row of Fame says: Dec 16, 2009 3:33 PM

I am hoping he at least tried acupuncture. It worked for me to the point that my migraines can be put down with a 3 minute “excercise” (more of a head massage with neck crunches, but you get the idea).
    I am glad to see that some other miserably jealous shitbag beat lbpackfan to the punch, being the first to write something negative that showcases their inferior wit.

18. eklypse69 says: Dec 16, 2009 3:37 PM

He should really get that checked out. I had a dear friend who had fierce migraines for a long time, and when he finally did get in to have it checked, they found an inoperable cancerous growth in his brain. The pressure of the tumor was giving him the migraines, and if he would have had it checked when the migraines were starting, he would have had a much better chance of survival. It ended up killing him instead.

19. Peepshowmopguy says: Dec 16, 2009 3:38 PM

As someone who has to deal with migraines all the time, this does suck, but it’s not something that will end his carrier (or else I’d be working at McDonalds like hizzle1281).
    For the most part they are very unpredictable. I’ve had stretches of 2 years without having one, and then have had five during the course of one month. Medication helps, but doesn’t fix it. Imagine hearing your heartbeat like a drum playing inside your head and a ice pick going through your temple every time you open your eyes and feeling suddenly nauseous. Although jokes were made earlier about his marijuana use, it really does help, and I wouldn’t be surprised if that was one of the reasons why he started using it in the first place.
    People with migraines have to deal with a different stigma in the work place than people without. We use more of our sick leave to deal with it, and our coworkers too often assume that we are taking time off to go fishing, sleep-in or just be lazy. Or maybe we are just “Puzzys” right hizzle1281?

20. JimmySmith says: Dec 16, 2009 3:44 PM

The only thing that surprises me here is that Chilly can actually read. Comprehending what he reads is the next step.
    But the draft pick was a step in the right direction considering the last time the Biqueens took a WR in the first round, the kid couldn’t even catch the ball. How they missed that in the scouting report is beyond me but I’m pretty sure he was drug free which is more than you can say about Percy.

21. texasPHINSfan says: Dec 16, 2009 3:45 PM

For those that don’t know, the thing about migraines is there is no 100%-across-the-board medicine or therapy that works for everyone. They have different triggers and are treated differently from person to person.
    Every migraine sufferer seems to find a different “thing” that works for them. I think we all know what Percy’s previous method at dealing with them was. Perhaps he’s struggling to deal with them now because he can no longer use marijuana. For all we know Percy is clean and trying to stay legit, but now having greater problems dealing with them.
    Good luck to you Harvin. Get better

22. leatherneck says: Dec 16, 2009 3:51 PM

If I were Harvin, I would look into some alternative medicine. Like nature stuff. Yoga. Medication. Call Ricky Williams (of the Dolphins) and get in touch with yoga healing. Modern medicine often is a crock.

23. Tdk24 says: Dec 16, 2009 3:51 PM

The boy is obviously low on THC.

24. MotherTUCKer91 says: Dec 16, 2009 3:55 PM

@texasPHINSfan:

25. StompinJints says: Dec 16, 2009 4:00 PM

“”We’ll be wiser next time and, again, it’s just something that we have to learn and deal with.””
    What a dick this man is. He’s pretty much saying that they probably would not have drafted Harvin if they had known the ‘extent’. Friggin IDIOT.
    Trade him to the Giants moron.

26. VoxVagina says: Dec 16, 2009 4:02 PM

27. leatherneck says: Dec 16, 2009 4:05 PM

Wikipedia article on prevention of migraines

28. Hap says: Dec 16, 2009 4:10 PM

Percy Hardy-Har-Har-vin ? His headaches were over when he left efF U. I dont think the headaches will be an issue as they face the CP’s this week. He’s not needed.

29. erikleif says: Dec 16, 2009 4:10 PM

my sister had these for 15 years – saw every specialist in the country – ended up taking her own life – seriously disabaling

30. kotapug says: Dec 16, 2009 4:13 PM

Not weird some packer fans out trolling for viking news why dont you talk about your cocain prob your team is dealing with. Oh wait 1 guy getting busted does not make your whole team I was just speaking like you do about the vikes. You cheese heads act like pathetic little girls when someone is better than you. Just like your moms use to tell you “You are name calling and picking on them because you really actually like them” this is not your year so get over it and quit crying. And the more you say move to LA Im sure will make it happen`and if you actually think that I would be saying the Packers are better than the Vikes if you want something that is not going to happen come true.

31. purplepuzzyeatrz says: Dec 16, 2009 4:13 PM

I think it will evetually work its way out…there is obviously a contributing factor somewhere, he is such a talent and I know that only the media is turining it into a circus show, nothing more nothing less…..We are all gineau pigs in the media madness…The run strategic stories to influence us and control us…dont let them control you…next thing you know you will be wearing a chip, and that mark is said to be 6.6.6…….Ask jesus to save you
    SKOL

32. CanadianVikingFan says: Dec 16, 2009 4:14 PM

acupuncture…. are you serious? biggest rip off out there.

33. PervyHarvin'sMom says: Dec 16, 2009 4:17 PM

I was flipping through channels the other day and seen some report of a procedure where people technically get a face lift, detaching all the muscles from the forehead, and it eliminates migraines. Maybe Percy should look into this.

34. LBPACKFAN says: Dec 16, 2009 4:18 PM

Hope he’s ok. Damn good season.

35. DuluthFan says: Dec 16, 2009 4:19 PM

hizzle1281 – the word is ‘pussy’, or are you too afraid to type it. Now, STFU about something you know NOTHING about. You are an ass.

36. Love_Boat_Scandal says: Dec 16, 2009 4:20 PM

cusoman says: December 16, 2009 3:21 PM
    So let it be written, so let it be done.
    *meditates*
    *********
    Um, check again, great and powerful cuntosac. It was already posted before you posted.

37. mixman34 says: Dec 16, 2009 4:22 PM

Get Well Soon.
    Love,
    Mixman34

38. hizzle1281 says: Dec 16, 2009 4:27 PM

Peepshowmopguy
    right

39. cusoman says: Dec 16, 2009 4:30 PM

Love boat, you may or may not know this, but comments don’t appear right away on this site, they are approved in groups by the moderators and thus that comment was not there when I posted my prediction.
    Have a NICE day!

40. Norseman says: Dec 16, 2009 4:32 PM

I hear the hookers in Vegas have a new accu-pressure technique.
    They relieve the pain in your neck by massaging your penis.

41. leatherneck says: Dec 16, 2009 4:32 PM

We love you, Percy Harvin. Feel better soon.

42. cusoman says: Dec 16, 2009 4:32 PM

Oh by the way love boat, nice touch on the modifying of my name, haha I totally get it! You made it sound like a certain part of the female body, that’s CLEVER dude!

43. shannscott2000 says: Dec 16, 2009 4:33 PM

@leatherneck
    Wikipedia? Really?

44. Igottz5onit says: Dec 16, 2009 4:33 PM

No disrespect to Percy Harvin, but I can’t remember another rookie who had more minor injuries and illnesses in one season. It doesn’t seem to be affecting his production since he is still likely to be the OROY but it seems odd that all these little things keep happening to him, I wonder if they might be symptoms to a bigger problem. Maybe something really rare. Hope he gets better.

45. smartbrains1980 says: Dec 16, 2009 4:54 PM

Monosodium Glutamte….
    thats what caused mine…never had one since.

46. leatherneck says: Dec 16, 2009 4:57 PM

I have a question for migraine sufferers here. This might sound crazy, but I’d like to hear your response.
    Have you ever tried going swimming when you’ve had a migraine? I mean like at a pool or the beach or something. Has that ever helped?
    Thank you.

47. The Hormel Row of Fame says: Dec 16, 2009 5:01 PM

Not saying acupuncture is the only way, but it did work wonders for me. Things that work for me might onto work for the next guy, but when in pain, I had to try everyting. Now, 4 years of tolerable, manageable migraines, as opposed to the previous 15 of two hours a day (average) of laying on my side ready to cut my own head off. And the Vegas remedy only works on the strip, not so much on Fremont (still haven’t found my wallet)!

48. Contra says: Dec 16, 2009 5:06 PM

You know, I keep reading all these stupid posts about Harvin smoking weed and how its related to his disappearances from the football field. Fact of the matter is this…I dont care if Percy is high 24/7 so long as he keeps putting up the numbers he keeps putting up. Hell, if it helps him put up those numbers then smoke some more Percy! Just dont pull a Ricky Williams on us. Im sure the Packers are probably experimenting with marijuana in their locker room to see if they can somehow make it into the playoffs and get a win.

49. Bob Loblaw says: Dec 16, 2009 5:12 PM

StompinJints says: “We’ll be wiser next time and, again, it’s just something that we have to learn and deal with.””
    *************
    Brad Childress is pretty cryptic when he speaks. What Childress is saying is in hindsight they should have been more proactive in finding a workable treatment for Percy.
    **************
    VoxVagina says: “Lol could he get medical marijuana and be excused from the stubstance abuse policy?”
    Minnesota does not have legalized medical marijuana, so he’d be breaking state law. And there’s no way the NFL would grant an exception to the substance abuse policy. Every player suffers from some sort of cronic pain due to playing football that would qualify for a prescription for medical marijuana in states where it is legal.

50. jasncondit says: Dec 16, 2009 5:16 PM

I can tell you what’s causing it. If they run tests and he isn’t found to have a tumor, or MS, or some other brain injury then it is his C1 vertabrae that is getting stuck. An X-Ray of his spine would be helpful too – I bet he has a pretty good curve in it.
    I used to have migranes all the time too but was FORCED to go to a Chiropractor after landing in the water wrong from a bad dive during open public swimming that made my neck stuck to the left. The Chiro not only fixed that but my migranes as well. Turns out it is C-1 and lack of B-12 (if he’s seeing swirlies when he gets up really quick). I’m surprised he hasn’t been seen by one yet since most NFL players have their own.

51. texasPHINSfan says: Dec 16, 2009 5:30 PM

“Don’t go crowning Percy just yet. The only thing separating him from Hakeem Nicks at this point is 2 kickoff returns for TDs. 3 games to go, Hakeem could surpass Percy if these migraines continue.”
    You missed the point, sir. It was more about being satisfied with his production this year despite his migraines than it was a claim that he should win the award. In other words, even with his migraines, I’m pretty sure every single coach in the NFL would take Harvin without missing a beat.
    “leatherneck says:
    December 16, 2009 4:57 PM
    Thank you.”
    I’ve never tried that. I actually live up in Seattle now, not too many pools here. I have taken hot baths before and it seems to help, but I can’t unequivocally say as hot baths seem to help with everything. It definitely didn’t get rid of the migraines. I hate to beat a dead horse here, but only one thing has legitimately worked for me with migraines, and it’s the same “medicine” Percy was using in college.
    Some of the “prescription” migraine medicine they gave me only made them worse, or actually brought about migraines. (Whoever said that some medications actually cause them was 100% correct).
    I haven’t tried acupuncture, although I’d like to. Unfortunately my medical doesn’t cover that, so I’ll have to pay for that out of my own pocket…

52. wcrambler22 says: Dec 16, 2009 5:31 PM

Norseman:
    December 16, 2009 4:32 PM
    I hear the hookers in Vegas have a new accu-pressure technique.
    They relieve the pain in your neck by massaging your penis.
    =============================
    What the heck, I’ll try anything 3 or 4 times. Thanks for the advice.

53. Adam-Chris Scheftersen says: Dec 16, 2009 5:39 PM

Too bad Childress doesn’t interview his draft picks and free agents to prevent this type of thing from catching up with him. Doh!

54. leatherneck says: Dec 16, 2009 5:46 PM

Thanks, texasPhinsFan. In a bath, you don’t typically get your head under water for very long. I wonder if swimming would do anything.

55. mike says: Dec 16, 2009 5:57 PM

56. Evpimp says: Dec 16, 2009 6:04 PM

Ok Percy here is the deal! Go to Green Bay get some pills from Johnny Jolly.. Should take care of those migraines!

57. mnmaverick says: Dec 16, 2009 6:04 PM

I’m concerned about Chilly’s coaching, it gives me a headache.

58. kdawg says: Dec 16, 2009 6:05 PM

Alot of migraine sufferers find out it is food allergy caused as in something you eat that is causing it. In Percy’s case however running across the middle and poundings he takes can not help the situation.

59. Jack Mioff says: Dec 16, 2009 6:08 PM

@hizzle1281- Call Percy that one more time boy and you will have a problem. Leave the kid alone,it must be pretty bad to miss out on some of this great season he is having with Favre and the Vikings. Go play on a shooting range tool.

60. jeff says: Dec 16, 2009 8:12 PM

Adam-Chris Scheftersen says:
    December 16, 2009 5:39 PM
    ==============================
    Comedic fenius at work.
    Do you all believe this guy likes to mail shit to people?
    Weird!

61. jeff says: Dec 16, 2009 8:12 PM

Genius

62. Jack Mioff says: Dec 16, 2009 8:30 PM

Shitterson is in the PFT Florio’s Hall of Shame. a true ignoranus!

63. nocheeseplease says: Dec 16, 2009 9:46 PM

Must be MSG

64. Bigskyvikes says: Dec 16, 2009 9:52 PM

I read all the posts here and for the life of me cant figure out why mine dont get posted?
    I say stuff like ass, or dumbass in mine and look above at all the profanity, and mine dont get posted, why is this, PFT?

65. 4vikesfan4 says: Dec 16, 2009 10:35 PM

back when i had a woman that had really bad migraines. my tender head rubs would help some but they never really ”cured” them. then her family heard about a chinese acupuncture cure. she tried them here to no avail. they sent her to china and she was directed to a chinese monk. a couple months later she was home. she had none for about a year and some change. then they were back. she ended up moving to china. last we spoke several years ago she never gets them. you’d think with all that money the vikes could bring that monk …. or one like him… here for a visit?

66. 4vikesfan4 says: Dec 16, 2009 10:40 PM

bring back FOX. this wait for a comment to post up is like in 1994. cripes, join the future NBC. PFT, or whoever? i can tell interaction won’t be as fun for me and i’ll need to adjust my web browsing. likely to home page other than MSN.

67. Ruvell100 says: Dec 16, 2009 10:59 PM

Percy needs to talk to my boy Jolly and get that Sizzurp. That will straighten him right out. Seriously, they are a bad deal. I just wonder if there is more to the story because I know a lot of people who suffer from migraines and between chiro/alternative and “real” medicine, they usually have some sort of fix.
    @Bigsky- It’s because Florio hates you, too.

68. Favre On HGH says: Dec 16, 2009 11:26 PM

jeff says:
    December 16, 2009 8:12 PM
    Comedic fenius at work.
    Do you all believe this guy likes to mail shit to people?
    ————–
    That’s me. Never said I liked it, although it was interesting taking a bag of smelly envelopes to the post office though. Glad they have electronic postage labels, saved me from an interesting counter conversation.
    Vick Bounty

69. Tompadre says: Dec 17, 2009 4:01 AM

MotherTUCKer91 says:
    December 16, 2009 3:55 PM
    ———————————————————
    What makes Percy the front runner is exactly what you state – the kick off returns. Not only the TDs but the yardage – nearly 1,ooo compared to the 16 Nicks has. It’s also when he has come up with the big catch, the big KO return that influences the perception of his year.
    Someone on here mentioned diets when it comes to migraines. It was suggested to my wife to track everything she eats and see if something coincides with her migraines. It seems to me they always appear whenever I want to…never mind.

70. jeff says: Dec 17, 2009 11:11 AM

Favre On HGH says:
    December 16, 2009 11:26 PM
    jeff says:
    December 16, 2009 8:12 PM
    Comedic fenius at work.
    Do you all believe this guy likes to mail shit to people?
    ————–
    ===============================
    you sound like a good candidate for Big Turd 2010. If you see Supersuckers cruising around, ask him for details. They had a really nice 1st prize this year.

71. THEpackersAREwhere? says: Dec 17, 2009 4:05 PM

This has nothing to do with the article, just a lil tid bit for the all the Packer fans that like to spend so much time reading about a team that they claim to hate but really envy…
    Green Bay can never get good character players. There was Chamura going to post prom parties, Freeman’s drunk ass running into parked cars, was it Harris involved a few years back with that sexual assult in Miami? Gilbert Brown with his domestic assults, the list goes on and on…

72. Adam-Chris Scheftersen says: Dec 17, 2009 5:15 PM

Jack Mioff says:
    December 16, 2009 8:30 PM
    Shitterson is in the PFT Florio’s Hall of Shame. a true ignoranus!
    ——————————
    Who are you? Jack Mioff.. Hmm, sounds like one of Jeff and Pervy’s friends.

73. Adam-Chris Scheftersen says: Dec 17, 2009 5:17 PM

jeff says:
    December 16, 2009 8:12 PM
    Comedic fenius at work.
    Do you all believe this guy likes to mail shit to people?
    Weird!
    ————————-
    Straight from the chickendick SOP. Got nothing to say on the topic? Insult, insult, ironic misspelling, insult.

74. Adam-Chris Scheftersen says: Dec 17, 2009 5:25 PM

THEpackersAREwhere? says:
    December 17, 2009 4:05 PM
    —————————–
    Every team has their turds. If you’re going to go as far back as Gilbert Brown, Packers fans will bring up Mike Tice, Randy Moss, Dimitrius Underwood (nice draft pick there–and you think Mandarich was a bust), Onterrio Smith, etc.
    Anyway, this holier-than-thou bullshit never flies. Not from Bob Nelson, not from you.
    And envy? Give me a break. Yeah, we’re really envious of all those “playoff appearances” Vikings fans like to brag about. Those are like little yellow “participant” ribbons. Congratulations, you’re one of the top 12 teams in the NFL this season. That and a quarter will get you a gumball.

75. texasPHINSfan says: Dec 17, 2009 5:40 PM

“mike says:
    December 16, 2009 5:57 PM
    Serious question here as im not a doctor or migraine sufferer. Why is it that now they seem to be an issue causing him to miss games? Do they only last for a few days and he was lucky enough to be able to play the past 12 weeks? Was this an issue in college also?”
    ————————————————–
    Percy had migraines in collge, but he dealt with them by smoking. Of course you can’t really get away with that in the NFL, and from all accounts it appears that Percy has matured greatly this year and after his issue at the combine I don’t think he has smoked since…..
    ….which is also probably why the migraines have returned.
    Diet is a good idea, as is a chiropractor. The Seattle Sounders (MLS soccer team) have a star Swedish player in Freddie Ljungberg… used to play on Arsenal. He had bad migraines this year and the solution for him was diet. When he altered his diet, he had an easier road dealing with his migraines.
    For me, I don’t know if this will hold true or not. I don’t know what else I can do as I don’t have a budget to start “experimenting” with my diet. Percy should have all sorts of dieticians and nutritionists available to him, he should consider this.

76. jeff says: Dec 17, 2009 6:47 PM

Adam-Chris Scheftersen says:
    December 17, 2009 5:17 PM
    jeff says:
    December 16, 2009 8:12 PM
    Comedic fenius at work.
    Do you all believe this guy likes to mail shit to people?
    Weird!
    ————————-
    ===============================
    For the record:
    It is sarcasm. fact. “ironic” typo. Sarcasm.
    That you think you are “witty” is what floors me.
    Mailyour shitterson, give it up, it’s hopeless.
    You are never ,ever, going to shed the shit label.

77. Adam-Chris Scheftersen says: Dec 18, 2009 12:16 AM

I enjoy the shit label. Have I ever asked you to stop? Every time you bring it up I tell you the offer is still on the table.
    You, on the other hand, will never stop talking about shit, which just highlights your obsession.

78. jeff says: Dec 18, 2009 8:29 AM

You would enjoy the shit label.
    How would you present it? In a bag, box?
    You do know i could give you an address that isn’t my own, correct?
    I’m notobsessed with shit, I like taking them.
    2nd best feeling in the world.
    I don’t ever think of sending them though, who does that?
    Is this the role model you ant to be for your daughter? Being known as a shitmailer?
    Is that what you wanted to be when you grew up?
    your folks must be so proud….