Ochocinco on Henry: "He's going to be missed"

Cincinnati Bengals wide receiver Chad Ochocinco is known as one of the NFL’s most jovial players. But he cried in the Bengals’ locker room today as he talked to reporters just hours after the death of his friend and teammate, Chris Henry.

“Chris was a very good — very good — friend of mine, really extremely close,” Ochocinco said. “It’s sad to see that it’s come to this point. I’d just talked to Chris Tuesday night. He called to see how I was doing.”

Ochocinco said he was proud of Henry for turning his life around and shocked at the news yesterday that he had fallen from a pickup truck after a domestic dispute with his fiancee.

“He’s been doing everything right,” Ochocinco said. “My grandma always said you never really question the man upstairs on a decision he makes because he never makes mistakes. But I don’t see how Chris was supposed to go already. Especially because he was on the right path. He’s going to be missed.”

Ochocinco and Henry became teammates when the Bengals drafted Henry in 2005.

Permalink 48 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Cincinnati Bengals, Rumor Mill, Sprint Football Live - Rumors, Top Stories
48 Responses to “Ochocinco on Henry: "He's going to be missed"”
  1. Didier says: Dec 17, 2009 12:26 PM

Having known Chris since his days in Morgantown, this is such sad news.
    Honestly, Chris was a troubled young man who had a hard time maturing into adulthood.
    In the end, however, as the Tiger Woods’ story indicates, how well do we really know our athletes?
    They perform for our entertainment and we read and hear things, but only God knows what is in their hearts and minds.
    Chris, as someone who cheered you on for the Mountaineers and then cheered against you when the Bengals played the Steelers, I always admired your athletic ability and obvious passion for the game.
    Your wiry frame cutting through the secondary on slants to make catch after catch on that cold and wintry December 4th against the Steelers as your team basked in victory in a game that would be the last loss for the Steelers on the way to a Super Bowl victory.
    I’ll always remember that game and others I was privileged to see you play.
    My prayer is that you are at peace now and that your loved ones will be comforted by their memories shared with so many others.
    One more skinny post with the ball highly arching to the tips of your outstretched fingers as a deafening cheer resounds from the cloud of witnesses with whom you now reside forever.

2. dustyschmidt22 says: Dec 17, 2009 12:30 PM

man that was tough to watch. never seen chad like that before

3. devlin says: Dec 17, 2009 12:31 PM

Ochocinco just tweeted he was going to beat Shawn Merriman’s head in…Nice timing Chad!

4. BmoreRavensFan says: Dec 17, 2009 12:32 PM

I can only imagine how hard it must be to continue to play without a brother on the field. Reminds us all to count our blessings everyday.

5. cincyandrew says: Dec 17, 2009 12:37 PM

RIP Henry. what a shame.
    Coming into the season i truly though Chris Henry was going to be one of the main story lines in Cincinnati …turning his life around etc…
    and he did. and then he broke his arm. and now he dies…
    truly truly a shame.

6. Patrian says: Dec 17, 2009 12:42 PM

———————————————-
    God does not make mistakes… but people do… and people do die before they are supposed to…
    Contrary to popular beleif everything that happens is not God’s will…

7. HoustonRaven says: Dec 17, 2009 12:44 PM

My heart goes out to Bengals Nation today.
    This transcends football and any petty rivalry. Ravens Nation is saying a prayer tonight for the Bengals, the Henry’s and the kids.
    Very sad.

8. Watson11101 says: Dec 17, 2009 12:47 PM

God Bless!!!

9. dudeustupid says: Dec 17, 2009 12:47 PM

well…i would rather stand in front of my maker after straightening my life out than before straightening my life out

10. BLASTMASTER says: Dec 17, 2009 12:49 PM

RIP SLIM
    you were admired by many
    even those who are not bengal fans
    Dolphin Nation prays for you and your family
    God Bless and God Speed
    maybe this will make the rest of the media realize that athletes are people too and dont need to be under the microscope
    I mean all this Tiger bullshit and no mention of the 30K+ troops we are sending into a hostile environment

11. dcfan-1212450 says: Dec 17, 2009 12:51 PM

As a Redskins fan, i know all to much what its like to lose a part of your team when we lost Sean Taylor. Similar to Henrys case, Taylor had turned his life around when he was killed. The Redskins rallied to make the playoffs that year, i hope this helps the Bengals to come together. That may be the only positive out of such an unfortunately sad situation.

12. mnmaverick says: Dec 17, 2009 12:51 PM

After Housh was traded, there was talk of the Bengals trading Henry. They just didn’t find any takers with his character issues. Chad spoke out about that because he knew they needed a WR outside of just him.

13. jonz76 says: Dec 17, 2009 12:53 PM

Hey devlin…he tweeted that yesterday moron.

14. Bob Nelson says: Dec 17, 2009 12:57 PM

There is a bride to be that will not have the wedding.
    There are children proud of their daddy and his life.
    There is an agent that is no longer collecting fees.
    There are some wailing about the cessation of child support payments.
    There is a probation officer closing a file.
    Just like that movie It’s a Wonderful Life, we often fail to recognize all the lives we touch.

15. texasPHINSfan says: Dec 17, 2009 1:00 PM

I’m going to make a prediction.
    Ochocinco will do a TD celebration honoring Chris Henry and the league will have to tapdance around fining him for it.
    RIP Chris. It wasn’t your time.

16. KevOmaha says: Dec 17, 2009 1:03 PM

To honor Chris Henry both teams on Sunday should play with only 10 players on the field for the first 5 minutes.

17. Bengals fan #1 says: Dec 17, 2009 1:08 PM

RIP Chris no pain and no worries where you are going i hope God has you in His arms

18. goetta-head says: Dec 17, 2009 1:08 PM

Where is the video? I cant find it. Or was it just audio? All this is so weird. I feel so bad for his Family and Fiance especially. RIP Slim, from a Bengals fan that always thought you were entertaining and a supreme talent. Cant ask for much more from a fans perspective. I will always remember you as the the player the Steelers had a very hard time with. I will cherish you for that. Godspeed

19. tleg81 says: Dec 17, 2009 1:11 PM

From a member of Steelers Nation – My thoughts and prayers go out to Chris, his family, his teammates and co-workers, and all Bengals fans……this is a terrible story, I dont know what else to say or do…….RIP Chris

20. js136202 says: Dec 17, 2009 1:14 PM

Didier
    Well put. As a Browns fan who never had much interest in the bungholes, I still found myself rooting for him to get his life in order. It’s a tragic end to a life cut tragically short

21. goetta-head says: Dec 17, 2009 1:21 PM

thanks jc9ox6

22. theTRUTHwillSETuFREE says: Dec 17, 2009 1:22 PM

This has got to be tough for all the players…..my thoughts and prayers are with the Henry Family as I posted on other posts. A great talent lost in a desperate act. Sad.
    R.I.P. Slim from the Raiders Nation(The Only Nation, so quit biting on our shit fans of other teams)

23. JoaquinFenix says: Dec 17, 2009 1:24 PM

Sad to see Chris get Steve McNaired.

24. rockotica says: Dec 17, 2009 1:24 PM

ochocinco’s grandma is a moron. what kind of stupid blind logic is that?

25. Mikebrown_suckit says: Dec 17, 2009 1:28 PM

Most of the other teams fans are all class. I know it means a lot for others to see sending thoughts and prayers out. Chad is a clown most of the time, but he wears his heart on his sleeve. It’s hard to watch someone always so happy and clowning around to be in tears. As a Bengals fan and season ticket holder and someone who has met henry before…..Thanks to all!

26. JoeSchmoe says: Dec 17, 2009 1:34 PM

As a Bengal fan, I just wanted to say thanks to the Steeler and Ravens fans I’ve seen showing their support on here and elsewhere.. So I say: “Thanks fellas” for the good sportsmanship. Times like these make you realize even though I rip on all you guys from time to time (and vice versa) that we’d all rather do without tragedy in our lives and we’re all really one big family of football lovers in essence.
    And the ironic thing is (really just more sad than anything) , if you go to the bengals.com message boards recently, the big uproar has been about how bad our passing game has been lately and many of us were really wishing we had this guy lining up for us to help that aspect of our game out. Sadly, it’ll never happen again.

27. TheChoad says: Dec 17, 2009 1:37 PM

No matter who your squad is and no matter what rivalry you have…today is a day to mourn the Bengal Nation…Its a shame something like this has to happen. God Bless and God Speed!
    Hail and RIP Chris Henry

28. Nobi says: Dec 17, 2009 1:46 PM

So what was the cause of death? Was it a head injury or something. I wonder if the woman is facing any charges for that.

29. Child Please! says: Dec 17, 2009 1:48 PM

Is everyone forgetting that he died during a domestic dispute, which most likely would have turned violent had Henry been able to catch his fiancé? Doesn’t really sound like he was turning his life around to me.

30. -RoNiN- says: Dec 17, 2009 1:55 PM

Today, because of one man, we are able to put our differences aside – TODAY, WE ARE ALL CINCINNATI BENGALS! – That is a testament to Chris Henry, and a testament to ourselves!!! PFT Planet is a class act!

31. Fan_Of_ Four says: Dec 17, 2009 1:57 PM

Everyday we lose a brother or sister in Iraq or Afghanistan. Let’s not forget them in our prayers just because they ain’t out there playing ball. A lot of them are leaving kids behind as well.

32. JoeSchmoe says: Dec 17, 2009 2:18 PM

@ChildPlease
    That’s conjecture that you don’t really need to bring to the table right this minute. You automatically are going to say “if he caught up with her, he was going to hurt her”? Gimme a break. I’ve had arguments with women and had to chase them down to CALM THEM DOWN. Don’t be an asshole.

33. Lost says: Dec 17, 2009 2:21 PM

Sorry for your loss. Bengal lose one of their tigers.
    Condolences to Ocho, the entire Bengal organization and those great Cinci fans. Sad event.

34. leaguemvp says: Dec 17, 2009 2:25 PM

No one should be allowed to die in december. God, why? Why did this happen? It doesn’t make sense.

35. The Coop says: Dec 17, 2009 2:30 PM

I love the revisionist history that goes on when something bad happens to a guy who was generally regarded as a jerk.
    The guy was a butt of jokes not that long ago…… now he’s being remembered like he was Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.
    I hope he found God and is in Heaven with Him….. Nothing would make me happier.
    But let’s keep it real, people.

36. Child Please! says: Dec 17, 2009 2:37 PM

JoeSchmoe says:
    December 17, 2009 2:18 PM
    @ChildPlease
    ______________________________
    Everyone else is posting there thoughts…why can’t I? The guy’s no saint and shouldn’t be treated like one. It pisses me off when there’s folks off fighting a war for all of you and you act like this POS is some sort of a hero. This guy’s no hero….just a JoeSchmoe.

37. Bee_Arthur says: Dec 17, 2009 2:47 PM

@Child Please
    I agree with you completely.
    Needless to say his life really got turned around when she turned at about 45 mph.

38. hail2theskins says: Dec 17, 2009 2:50 PM

The folks fighting the war are fighting for the bankstas, not for you and me. Your ignorance is astounding, and no one said he was a hero. He was a father and a teammate, and may he RIP.

39. Bee_Arthur says: Dec 17, 2009 2:51 PM

@-RoNiN-
    … STFU.

40. Paul_R. says: Dec 17, 2009 2:54 PM

I’m a Patriots fan and I heard about his injuries yesterday. I went over to the Yahoo Bengals board and posted about it and also on the Patriots board too.
    When I woke up this morning and after taking care of some business things I found out that he had passed away, I couldn’t have felt more sad for him, his fiancee and kids, his family, friends and teammates.
    I think I felt like Chad feels. He is wrong, God didn’t will this to happen, but he’s just so distraught as anyone, including me.
    My prayers will continue for his family and friends and everyone connected with him.

41. Paul_R. says: Dec 17, 2009 2:59 PM

The Coop says:
    But let’s keep it real, people.
    ____________________
    If you were a Christian, it would hurt you to know that a man died.
    If you knew anything about Chris Henry, you would know that, yes, he’s had trouble, but he’s generally been a good person and has a lot of friends.
    Maybe you believe that he was the trouble maker, but you couldn’t possibly assume that trouble went looking for him. Don’t pre-judge or even judge him without knowing him. You could judge based on how his friends speak about him and how they’re suffering because of his death.

42. The Hormel Row of Fame says: Dec 17, 2009 3:02 PM

Bob Nelson says:
    December 17, 2009 12:57 PM
    There is a bride to be that will not have the wedding.
    There are children proud of their daddy and his life.
    There is an agent that is no longer collecting fees.
    There are some wailing about the cessation of child support payments.
    There is a probation officer closing a file.
    ================================
    And just like the movie Die Hard, you should be thrown off the top of a building. You are a miserable, gutless little piece of shit troll who we all wish would drink antifreeze or something. Please take your insecure little posts back to the packer boards, where you will still be an idiot, but at least your pussy comments will be laughed at. Trust me, even the normal packer fans think you are a joke.
    Now that one troll has been disposed of, on behalf of the Viking Nation in WI, I would again like to offer my condolences to the family, friends, teammates & fans in Bengal Land. Off-the-field notwithstanding, he had huge potential, and Ocho really displayed how much of a better person C Henry was trying to become. I hope that people who saw Ocho’s statement realize that C Henry did touch people positively along the way, regardless of his past. He was a human being who made some poor choices, as we all do or have done. No one is canonizing him, just paying respects to a fallen football player as a fan of the game, allegiances aside. Godspeed.

43. -RoNiN- says: Dec 17, 2009 3:11 PM

44. Fan_Of_ Four says: Dec 17, 2009 3:12 PM

Coop said a mouthful, a guy gets killed in an accident and he goes from thug to beloved.

45. texasPHINSfan says: Dec 17, 2009 3:37 PM

Fan_Of_Four – Henry turned his life around months ago, before the season started. His turnaround was well documented, and he had completely stayed out of trouble this year.
    I don’t think a man’s past transgressions should make the significance of 3 kids losing their father any less.
    The fact of the matter is he was a human being that played football, and this is a football site.

46. Whodizzle15 says: Dec 17, 2009 3:40 PM

Wow, there are a lot of a-holes on this site. I registered just so I could leave a message. To all the vultures who want to make snide comments about Chris Henry, I hope the same happens to you when a loved one dies. How terrible of a person do you have to be to make those type of comments when someone dies? Do you really think you are clever and funny? Honestly? To sit up there on your throne and judge someone YOU’VE NEVER EVEN MET is really beyond me. It’s really sad and pathetic that someone who hides behind an internet screen name needs to make themselves feel special by making a real “witty” remark about a man’s death. Why don’t you go around your office, your house, on the street and make the same comment to people in person. Let’s see how funny they think it is….
    Let’s defer to his teammates, coaches, and family for an opinion on him. I live in Cincinnati and have seen the man turn his life around. He wasn’t perfect, but he continued to mature before our eyes. No one denies that Chris made mistakes, but don’t we all? And if the guy finally got his wake-up call, good for him.
    I know I will miss watching him on and off the field. He was an inspiration to many. He showed a lot of people that it’s never too late to change. I will choose to remember him making great catches, watching him fly down the field, and watching him turn his life around.
    And thanks to all the fans of other teams expressing their best wishes. Class acts.

47. Seahawks Nation says: Dec 17, 2009 9:22 PM

Rest in Peace Chris Henry! I am a Seahawks fan but like some others have said here, this tragedy goes beyond any petty rivalry among teams. Seahawks Nation mourns the loss of Chris Henry and we have the Cincinnati Bengals in our thoughts and in our hearts! Seahawks Nation also respects very much that Chris Henry was turning his life around and trying to be a father at only 26 years old! We are deeply saddened at this…I am still in shock…

48. BrothaHerb says: Dec 18, 2009 9:30 PM

Rest in Peace Slim. Only the most high can judge you. That video/audio of the interview of Chad OchoCinco was tough to watch and was good to see someone who really have brotherly feelings towards Slim. Hey Chad? Right on brotha, I like the way you backed ya homie.