High praise for Revis from Ryan

New York Jets coach Rex Ryan spent 10 seasons as a defensive assistant for the Baltimore Ravens, and during those 10 seasons he had two players — Ray Lewis and Ed Reed — who won the defensive player of the year award.

But Ryan says that this year, Jets cornerback Darrelle Revis deserves to win defensive player of the year — and he says Revis is having a greater impact than Lewis or Reed ever had.

“Of course, those guys deserve those awards, but I don’t think those guys even had the impact that Darrelle Revis has had on this football team,” Ryan said. “I think that’s why, I’ll get off my soapbox, he’s earned that award. It’s not right on my part to stand up here and not maybe try to sell that to the public. He’s earned this.”

The generally recognized favorite to win the 2009 defensive player of the year award is Packers cornerback Charles Woodson, and it was pointed out to Ryan that Woodson has more interceptions than Revis and is also a pass-rushing threat in the Packers’ defense. But Ryan said Woodson doesn’t compare to Revis as a pure shut-down corner.

“Yes, but Charles can’t go out on a corner like this guy can,” Ryan said. “He can move inside and he can blitz. Revis would be a great blitzer, but I’ve got the best cover guy in America sitting over here, so he’s going to be covering. He’s not blitzing.”

With the season in the home stretch, Revis is probably behind Woodson in the eyes of most defensive player of the year voters. But the Jets close out the year with a couple of big games against the Colts and Bengals.

If Revis shuts down Reggie Wayne and Chad Ochocinco, and the Jets win out and make the playoffs, Ryan may get his wish, and Revis may become the third of his players to win defensive player of the year.

Permalink 25 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Baltimore Ravens, New York Jets, Rumor Mill, Sprint Football Live - Rumors, Top Stories
25 Responses to “High praise for Revis from Ryan”
  1. bearsrule says: Dec 18, 2009 8:47 AM

Translation:” I’m going to stop talking now so as not to look like even more of a moron than I already am. I got a little carried away there. Give me another minute and I’ll tell you he’s even greater than Lewis. Actually, I was getting ready to call him the best I’ve ever seen, but somehow miraculously realized how stupid I sound. So long, I’m now going to have my daily pie.”

2. ppdoc13 says: Dec 18, 2009 8:48 AM

Rex ought to be more worried about making the playoffs than pumping Revis for the DPOY. He’s mouthed off all year and he has a 500 team to show for it. Still love Rex, but now I understand why the Ravens didn’t want him as a head coach. He is still the son of Buddy Ryan.

3. Hovenaut says: Dec 18, 2009 8:48 AM

4. Thunderlipps says: Dec 18, 2009 8:50 AM

Did Mangini draft that guy?

5. bozz_2006 says: Dec 18, 2009 8:52 AM

I’m a Packers fan, and I’m hoping for Woodson to get the award. But Revis is playing lights out too. I think it comes down to what the voters think is more impactful; Woodsons ability to take over a game by making backfield tackles in run support, blitz off the corner, and pull in picks left and right, or Revis’ ability to completely remove the #1 WR from the game, week in and week out.

6. Richm2256 says: Dec 18, 2009 8:54 AM

” “I think that’s why, I’ll get off my soapbox ….. It’s not right on my part to stand up here and not maybe try to sell that to the public.”
    ————————————————–
    So, if you don’t think you should be talking about it, why are you ….. ummmm, talking about it?

7. brady sucks says: Dec 18, 2009 8:55 AM

ill give him this. woodson is playing the best football he has ever played. yes he has more interceptions but who does he line up across? not randy moss or t.o. twice a year or andre johnson, steve smith, or marques colston. revis has shut all of these guys down. and he has 2 less interceptions. revis is not an out spoken person and doesnt get the media cred. so unfortunately i feel he wont win it although he deserves it.

8. Love_Boat_Scandal says: Dec 18, 2009 8:59 AM

Revis is a very good cover corner on wide receivers. But he’s no Deion Sanders.
    Woodson does everything. Covers (WRs and TEs), intercepts passes, plays safety, sacks the QB, is an excellent tackler (usually makes 1 tackle for loss per game against some very good RBs), takes on blockers, etc.
    But you know what? Woodson probably doesn’t care about awards. His only concern is winning, and he’s shown he’ll do whatever it takes to help his team win.

9. hizzle1281 says: Dec 18, 2009 9:04 AM

every corner in the NFL would be a shut down(except Nnamdi Asomough) with the kind of blitzing and safety help the kid gets

10. virtualplague says: Dec 18, 2009 9:04 AM

Rex Ryan talks a lot for a guy who’s 7-6 and only 2-4 in the division.
    Maybe he thinks if he talks he’ll lose weight.

11. FireJerryJones says: Dec 18, 2009 9:11 AM

Rex had similar complimentary comments about a Big Mac… and a Hamburglar who he thinks might be a pretty good nickle back.

12. swervinmervin says: Dec 18, 2009 9:12 AM

Woodson cant cover without help anymore. Everyone knows that. Why do you think they use him for blitzing and at safety so often. He cant play straight up CB man to man anymore. That’s fact. Revis is a much better CB. Woodson is a much better Safety/CB hybrid. But if taking out the other team’s top WR is the issue – Revis wins hands down.

13. AutumnWind999 says: Dec 18, 2009 9:20 AM

Both guys are tremendous right now. Can’t go wrong either way with the award. I have the feeling that Woodson is in the lead right now and will probably win because he compiles stats in so many different categories and the Packers are playoff-bound while the Jets may not make it. Agree with Rex that Revis is the best cover corner in the league right now. A sliver better than Nnamdi this season. Better than Woodson, Bailey or whoever else you want to rank among the best.

14. Pop T says: Dec 18, 2009 9:39 AM

As a Ravens fan, I loved Ryan’s defensive schemes when he was here. He kept us in a lot of games. That being said, I wish him well but I think he should just shut up and coach.

15. hayward giablommi says: Dec 18, 2009 9:46 AM

You can tell Wrecks Rhino gets really excited about something when he talks and his chins jiggle. Any confirmation this happened when he talked about Revis?

16. jbraider says: Dec 18, 2009 9:58 AM

Nnandi Asomugha is the best pure shut down corner in the NFL. He does what Revis does without the benefit of a strong pass rush, and on a bad team that is playing defense a lot.
    Revis is very good though

17. JetsFan85 says: Dec 18, 2009 10:12 AM

“The bloated talk from the bloated head Jet continues. Dude, once Revis turns in multiple seasons performing at this level, then maybe we can compare with the likes of Lewis, Reed, et al.”
    Ok, we are talking about D Player of the YEAR award, not D Player of the Decade… Is he NOT the best corner in the NFL right now? Did he NOT shut down Moss, Andre, Steve Smith, TO, and the likes this year? Don’t worry about what the Coach of the NYJ says man worry about your own team, whoever that is…

18. ATLien says: Dec 18, 2009 10:22 AM

MDS,
    You left out Roddy White. Roddy will scorch #24 this Sunday. You’ll see…

19. smokesome says: Dec 18, 2009 10:30 AM

woodson can do everything revis can do and more. if ryan thinks revis is a better shut down/cover corner, he obviously hasn’t been paying attention to any players outside of new jersey. woodson will line up against any teams #1 receiver and take them out of the game. he can also blitz, force fumbles, and he puts himself out there stopping the run week after week. hey rex ryan, go check out the packers/ravens game and look at ray rice’s run on first and goal right before tramon williams’ interception on 2nd and goal. that replay will show you exactly why charles woodson is DPOY and why darrel revis has a long way to go before he’s even in the same discussion as chuck woodson

20. Ron says: Dec 18, 2009 10:43 AM

Revis is CLEARLY the best COVER cornerback in the game, but for Rex to say that Revis had more impact in the game than Ray Lewis and Ed Reed did when they won defensive player of the year is laughable.. Ray Lewis put that defense on his back when the Ravens won the Superbowl and Reed was great when he won the award. Revis has shut down every top receiver that he faced but he’s not as versatile as Woodson and no one throws at Nnamdi. The defensive player of the year should be either Woodson or Darren Sharper. Revis is great, but his team is 7-6 and fighting for a playoff spot. If Revis had as much of an impact as Rex says, they would be leading the divison right now.

21. Favre On HGH says: Dec 18, 2009 10:51 AM

Award goes to best defensive player, not best position player.
    Why one of the best all-around guys is on top of the list.

22. prophet of the light says: Dec 18, 2009 11:37 AM

Asomugha is having a horrendous year by his standards (he’s hurt). Revis is playing like the best corner in the league right now… trust me. As a Patriots fan I watched him shut down Randy Moss basically 1 on 1. That was one of the sadder days this year.

23. texasPHINSfan says: Dec 18, 2009 11:58 AM

Revis is a very good player, and as a perennial foe I certainly have a lot of respect for him.
    But he’s not a “shut-down” corner, and he’s not DPOY this year, either.
    For the Jets apologists making claims of Revis “shutting down” receivers, don’t forget he also got burned by Ted Ginn, who is probably the worst #1 receiver in the NFL.
    I don’t condemn Revis for that, but before you start calling him the best….

24. AutumnWind999 says: Dec 18, 2009 1:27 PM

prophet of the light says:
    December 18, 2009 11:37 AM
    Asomugha is having a horrendous year by his standards (he’s hurt).
    ————-
    You obviously don’t know what you’re talking about. I’ve watched every play of every Raiders game this season and I think Nnamdi has given up 2 completions I can remember. One on a brilliant back-shoulder 20-yard TD pass from Phillip Rivers to Vincent Jackson in the season opener. One on a 50-yard slant to Miles Austin on Thanksgiving. I’m sure he’s given up a handful of other 5-10 yard completions over the course of the season, like any corner, but that’s it. Most of the time you don’t even know he’s there until he comes up and makes a play in run defense or on a screen, because teams generally don’t test him. It’s rare for the opposition to throw more than 1, maybe 2 passes in his direction per game.

25. tmos says: Dec 20, 2009 5:11 AM

I’m confused as to why people are stating the Jet’s record as a reason why Revis deserves the award less than Woodson. I mean Revis, like Woodson, only plays on one side of the ball, hopefully the people debating this knows which side. Defense. As in on the Jet’s first place total and pass defense. I’m sure Revis had a lot to do with that. Anyone who has actually watched a Jet game knows that their losses can be put on their offense (and one on their special teams).
    And about the safety help. I think Revis explained to Randy Moss on the field exactly how much safety help he needs (or even gets from safeties who are too busy helping about Lito Sheppard or whoever they use as the stop gap on the other side).
    As for help from the pass rush, who do you think is in charge of erasing the hot route in the first place? Most of the Jet’s sacks have come from the fact that the quarterback had no place to throw, not the other way around.