Gruden says he won't be joining the Redskins

With Jon Gruden’s former lieutenant in Oakland and Tampa, Bruce Allen, the new General Manager of the Redskins, Gruden’s name has emerged as a potential candidate to coach the team, if the attempt to land Mike Shanahan falls through.

“I’m not coaching,” Gruden said.  “I’m gonna stay with the team I’m on.  The only team I’m gonna coach is my 13-year-old son’s flag football team.”

So there you have it.  Gruden won’t be back on the NFL sidelines in 2010.  But at least he’ll be helping to expand the vocabularies of America’s youth.

Permalink 46 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Oakland Raiders, Rumor Mill, Sprint Football Live - Rumors, Tampa Bay Buccaneers, Top Stories, Washington Redskins
46 Responses to “Gruden says he won't be joining the Redskins”
  1. brownsfn says: Dec 21, 2009 8:28 PM

He’ll be joining the Browns…

2. jimmySee says: Dec 21, 2009 8:30 PM

that’s “America’s yout” you mean

3. C-TownDawg24 says: Dec 21, 2009 8:31 PM

Let’s see what he’s saying once Holmgren who, from what we’re being told, has all the power to do whatever the hell he wants here in Cleveland. Sure he loves MNF now. Maybe that’s because he is still taking paychecks from ESPN. Gruden is way, way too competitive and fiery to stay away from the game for too long. Especially if a friend for 20 years is asking him to help him turn around a proud franchise. Getting the Browns to perennial contenders would make both of them legends in a die-hard football town.

4. chunky soupy sales says: Dec 21, 2009 8:32 PM

Any word on whether George Seifert, Mike Tice, Denny Green, Bruno Sammartino, or Jerry Glanville will be coaching the Redskins?

5. lezmaka says: Dec 21, 2009 8:34 PM

Since when do you believe what a coach says?

6. The Wishbone says: Dec 21, 2009 8:40 PM

Why the holy f— did they just show the Joey Sunshine injury over and over again on the MNF opening?

7. Tom says: Dec 21, 2009 8:46 PM

People seem to think yesterday’s coach are the only coach to acquire. There are great coaches every day just as few great players come out of the draft there are great coaches out there too.

8. robolundgren says: Dec 21, 2009 8:54 PM

C-TownDawg24, how the hell are the Browns a proud franchise? They’re never even made a Super Bowl, what the hell are they proud about?

9. C-TownDawg24 says: Dec 21, 2009 9:01 PM

Tom, i agree with that. I just think that, since this more than likely Holmgren’s last football job, he would rather go with an experienced coach and someone he knows and is close with. Mariucci could be another route. But you’re right, maybe Holmgren has assistant we don’t konw of that he thinks can do the job.

10. bigbolt says: Dec 21, 2009 9:05 PM

Gruden is the worst announcer in all of football. I can’t stand his lovefests with EVERYBODY. Please take a friggin coaching job so we don’t have to listen to you gush BS about how much you love Brady Quinn and Jason Campbell and how they are as talented as any QBs in the nfl.

11. mlegue810 says: Dec 21, 2009 9:06 PM

NBC should have a reality show to choose the Redskins’ next coach.

12. HughJassPhD says: Dec 21, 2009 9:06 PM

Please! Someone … anyone hire him & get him out of the MNF booth. He makes my ears bleed.

13. Bigbluefan says: Dec 21, 2009 9:07 PM

Tom your right but Danny S will not go for anyone that is not a NAME
    To bad all the good names would not work for aholes like Danny and JJ

14. Mean D says: Dec 21, 2009 9:08 PM

His 13 year old’s flag football team? That’s embarrassing. My 10 year old just completed his 4th year of tackle.

15. FireJerryJones says: Dec 21, 2009 9:08 PM

Coulda done without seeing Theisman’s leg snap again…

16. boysroll says: Dec 21, 2009 9:12 PM

the way they are playing tonight i cant blame him…the lions, chiefs and rams would smoke them…….they are fighting for the worst team in the league now once they lose out……

17. Sonny Mooks says: Dec 21, 2009 9:15 PM

@Lezmaka
    You said it…… Florio, what the hell happened to all the Saban referances, NOW YOU CHOOSE NOT REMEMBER THAT ????
    If there was any time to speculate or doubt the words of a coach, this would be it.

18. Viper21 says: Dec 21, 2009 9:16 PM

I used to be a Chucky fan. Ever since listening to him on MNF I find my Opinion of him slipping. He’s worse than Joey Sunshine…! He needs a different set of knee pads every week…
    Chucky has turned into…….. Chucky Cheese

19. stabkoff says: Dec 21, 2009 9:22 PM

He needs to join the Raiders and jettison JaMar!

20. Bones22 says: Dec 21, 2009 9:32 PM

I thought I was the only one who thinks Gruden is a bad announcer. Please do us all a favor and get back to coaching.

21. Dawgpound2009 says: Dec 21, 2009 9:34 PM

Gruden would be great hire. Its probably will never happen but its a nice thought. Regardless, I hope they are printing Ratgini’s bus ticket back to New England right now. Maybe Santa will leave him a nice $1000 dollar bottle of water in his stocking as a parting gift. I am sure he asked for a limited edition Bill Belicheck spy camera too.
    Regardless it will be “Happy Holidays” for Browns fan when THE BIG SHOW snaps the trap shut on THE FAT RAT’S neck.

22. Bucforever says: Dec 21, 2009 9:34 PM

I think he is fun to listen to. His post game interviews with the Bucs were way better than Coach Rah. Why would Jon give up the extra pay check the Bucs owe him for the boot? Hey let him enjoy himself. I am sure he has earned it . Sounds like a real happy fellow right now to me.

23. Bones22 says: Dec 21, 2009 9:35 PM

Bigbolt
    You are right. Did you hear him at the packers game gush about Rodgers. I thought he was going to leave the booth and go on to the field to blow Rodgers.

24. HappyBunny says: Dec 21, 2009 9:38 PM

Poor kids…
    “Hey, you little motherf****er! What is so hard about remembering ‘Z-Right Motion X-Y Cross Comeback Rocket Double Scat 289’?!!! I mean you are 11, right! Get your ass on the bench!”

25. 1nationraidernation says: Dec 21, 2009 10:00 PM

if he can’t coach the raiders, he dosen’t want to coach…

26. RedGoneWILD says: Dec 21, 2009 10:05 PM

I’m glad I’m not the only one who read this and thought “What the hell is his 13 year old doing playing flag football?”
    My 6 year old plays flag football. My 10 year old finished his 3rd season of tackle.

27. BigEasy33 says: Dec 21, 2009 10:08 PM

He should stay where he is….he’s good on TV with Tirico and Jaws…best 3some since last summer!!

28. snnyjcbs says: Dec 21, 2009 10:15 PM

I told you it was nothing but a pipe dream to think Gruden would end up in Washington.
    Gruden has already worked out a deal with Al Davis in which when Gruden has his fill of MNF. Gruden will return to run the Raiders for Al’s son as Al Davis takes a step back. Gruden will become a part owner in the Raiders as part of the deal.
    Once a Raider always a Raider

29. cacemk says: Dec 21, 2009 10:32 PM

Russ Grimm should be the Skins next head coach. If Snyder is bringing back the past with Allen, who better then an ex Hog. He is ready!

30. bluestree says: Dec 21, 2009 10:44 PM

RedGoneWILD says:
    December 21, 2009 10:05 PM
    ___________________________
    Kids get no added benefit from playing full contact when they are twelve and under. They do risk injury, but I don’t know it that is anything Gruden is concerned with. Flag allows kids to develop some basic football skills. Barry Sanders credited playing flag for his elusive running style. It also helps poorer kids to play organized football.

31. smiley says: Dec 21, 2009 10:48 PM

Shanahan it is. Welcome to the 3rd most valued franchise on the planet. Hail!

32. troy brown80 says: Dec 21, 2009 10:51 PM

This guy, jon gruden, this guy is a terrible broadcaster! This guy, he sucks.
    oh and lmao at the idea of mangini coming to new england. lets just say he’s not welcome back here.

33. cacemk says: Dec 21, 2009 11:24 PM

Any love for Russ Grimm coming back to DC as head coach, Shanahan dos not excite me.

34. Asswipe Johnson (Pronounced Az-Wee-Pay) says: Dec 21, 2009 11:51 PM

Simeon Rice says Jon Gruden is a liar…

35. clevefan1 says: Dec 22, 2009 12:40 AM

You all complain about Chucky’s announcing? I can’t stand Theisman…I think they should start every MNF game with his leg breaking clip…and if the game itself is boring enuf they could just play that on a loop for 3 hours.

36. notsosmart says: Dec 22, 2009 1:32 AM

To all you people that want Gruden out of the booth I ask, Can you imagine if Gruden would start to point out every flaw in a player? What a poor job a coach is doing? What is wrong with the O Line or D? Why a player should not be in the league? I think Gruden is much more of a man than to act as a few of you think he ought to. You can turn off the volume and listen to the game on the radio if it will help.

37. C-TownDawg24 says: Dec 22, 2009 2:35 AM

Robolundgren, the Browns won 10 NFL championships. Yes it was awhile ago, but they still count. The greatest player to ever suit up wreaked havoc on the entire league for nine years, in only 12 games the first 4 years, 14 the last 5. We also have many HOF players. Yes it has been tough times for awhile now. But don’t discredit everything the franchise has ever done. They also, might I add, have arguably the best fans in sports. They’re are Browns Backers clubs literally all over the world. At least have some knowledge about the team before you go and question the fans’ motives for backing their team.

38. C-TownDawg24 says: Dec 22, 2009 2:45 AM

@bluestree
    I don’t think you can say that there is no added benefit. Let’s take a real honest look at this. One of the biggest problems with many NFL players is they plain and simple don’t know how to tackle. It’s seriously hard to watch. Arm tackles, trying to strip the ball without the ball carrier being wrapped up, shying away, poor form tackling, etc. I do agree with the notion that it helps less fortunate kids play in an organized league. But as far as football techniques and fundamentals, it definitely an advantage.

39. jillbrenneman says: Dec 22, 2009 5:45 AM

@chunky soupy sales
    Iron Sheik to be named the next Raiders Coach

40. Bwa Ha Ha says: Dec 22, 2009 5:46 AM

# chunky soupy sales says: December 21, 2009 8:32 PM
    Those guys are on JJ’s short list.

41. kupski says: Dec 22, 2009 7:38 AM

C-TownDawg24
    Gruden is a Turd of a hothead and has a shi#%@ player rep personality.
    He did absolutley jack sh%$ with the Bucs down here in Tamp with another coaches players. His winning percentage went DOWN from the time after he won the superbowl.
    He is an assclown and Cleveland can choose other coaches out there other that sob.

42. TampaJoey says: Dec 22, 2009 7:39 AM

You must be desperate to want Gruden and Allen. All they do is bring in old washed-up veterans. Never having a consistent direction from year to year.

43. Hap says: Dec 22, 2009 9:19 AM

Why would he join The redfaced ? He saw them put on their skirts and get rolled first hand. That’s what they got-a buncha lay downs that are over age.

44. tv says: Dec 22, 2009 10:05 AM

Chucky is a smart man to stay away from that franchise.
    No wonder I like him!
    I’m sure that the idiots in TB are realizing that Gruden kept them competitive even with 4-12 record “talent” on the team.

45. bucscanada says: Dec 22, 2009 10:06 AM

Joey Sunshine drove me crazy (Me, Me, Me, I )
    Then we get Kornholer, now Gruden.
    Next Sunday our pool, while watching all the games is having “Jon Gruden Day” You can only says positive things all day long or you get booted off the island.
    Any suggestions for prizes?

46. bluestree says: Dec 22, 2009 11:10 AM

C-TownDawg24 says:
    December 22, 2009 2:45 AM
    @bluestree
    ________________________________
    I don’t think you can say NFL players don’t tackle well because they haven’t been doing it since they were 10 years old. You can learn to be a good tackler in a summer camp or two. Many of the guys you see in the NFL that are poor tacklers are corners and safeties that don’t use fundamentally sound technique. That’s partly a lack of will. Also,college teams are loaded with good tacklers that are just not fast enough for the NFL. That’s why a lot of very good college players don’t make the pros, but faster bigger guys that are less sound as football players do.