Packers-Steelers one-liners

In a game where neither defense could make a stop, the Packers defense failed last in a 37-36 loss to the Steelers.

QB Aaron Rodgers completed 26 of 48 passes for 383 yards and three touchdowns as the Packers all but abandoned the run and regularly went with empty backfields.

Packers LB Clay Matthews burnished his defensive rookie of the year case with two sacks and a third apparent strip-sack that became an incomplete pass after a Steelers challenge.

DB Jarrett Bush was beaten several times on Sunday, a sign of how much the Packers miss CB Al Harris.

Steelers WR Mike Wallace only had two catches, but made them count by scoring touchdowns on the game’s first and last plays.

Steelers QB Ben Roethlisberger threw for 503 yards, three touchdowns and no interceptions and joined Warren Moon and Y.A. Tittle as the only quarterbacks in NFL history to throw for 500 yards, three scores and no interceptions in one game.

Coach Mike Tomlin bluntly explained that the Steelers defense’s inability to make stops influenced his decision to go for an onside kick with four minutes to play.

It looks like the Steelers will need a new long snapper after Greg Warren suffered a serious knee injury on the final extra point of the game.

Said Steelers LB James Farrior, “I’m upset with the points that we gave up. I thought we could have played a lot better. When our offense is putting up points for us, we have to hold our end of the bargain up and keep teams from scoring. But they did a great job responding to every score that Green Bay had. I’ve got to give our offense a lot of credit. They kept us in the game today and pulled it out.”

Permalink 10 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Green Bay Packers, Pittsburgh Steelers, Rumor Mill
10 Responses to “Packers-Steelers one-liners”
  1. chunky soupy sales says: Dec 21, 2009 9:39 AM

“The Packers changed holders but K Mason Crosby missed a 34-yard field goal, making it his fourth straight game with a miss. ”
    Mason Crosby an Nick Folk need to get a wacky sit-com together.
    Don Adams could play the sardonic elevator operator in their building and whenever they get on he could say ” Missed it by thismuch.”
    Florio, with your NBC connections, MAKE THIS HAPPEN!!!

2. jaker82 says: Dec 21, 2009 10:02 AM

How many more kicks are they gonna give Crosby?
    Obviously not the only problem for the Packers yesterday, but Jesus has that guy lost whatever “it” quality you need to have to be a kicker in the NFL

3. wrath4771 says: Dec 21, 2009 10:54 AM

How does Jarret Bush have an NFL job? I have two arthritic knees and could cover Wallace better than that (I at least wouldn’t have that dazed and confused look).

4. DanRooney says: Dec 21, 2009 11:48 AM

That’s a misquote on Farrior.
    What he really said was:
    “Besides the Gay and Carter two-man comedy show out there and the rest of the abysmal secondary, I’m the #1 culprit to why our defense is piss poor. I can’t cover anyone in the flats because I’m too slow and old. Please let Keyaran Fox play the rest of the season.”

5. jasonvah says: Dec 21, 2009 1:02 PM

was it just me or was woodson kinda worked yesterday that can not happen in the playoffs

6. Beer Cheese Soup says: Dec 21, 2009 2:44 PM

My observations of the game:
    -Jarrett Bush sucks.
    -Jarrett Bush sucks.
    -Mason Crosby isn’t much better. There doesn’t seem to be anyone available out there to replace him with though. Where have all the decent kickers gone?
    -I addressed the officiating elsewhere, so I won’t rehash too much. However, I have to say once again what a brilliant move it was by Pittsburgh to use penalties to manage the clock at the end and keep the drive alive. A truly ingenious move. I take off my hat.
    -The Refs’ defense has really fallen off the map. I am surprised Buck and Aikman didn’t see the onside attempt as precisely what it was: Tomlin sending the message that he doesn’t trust a once-dominating unit to stop anyone anymore. Clearly, he was right.
    -The Pack defense has probably only done so well because they’ve faced terrible teams, and also because those terrible teams haven’t seen much 3-4. Other than Baltimore and Dallas, who basically out-penaltied the Packers for the loss, I’d say the stats are grossly inflated.
    -9-5 isn’t bad. We have always owned Seattle, and I expect we will again. The Arizona game depends on whether they rest their starters or not. At worst, we should finish 10-6, get a wildcard and then be one-and-done in the playoffs. As usual, just barely good enough to make sure Ted and Mike keep their jobs. As the Refs likely won’t make the playoffs at all, let them at least enjoy their win.
    -Jarrett Bush really, REALLY sucks.

7. Joe in Toronto, Canada says: Dec 21, 2009 2:48 PM

Not a great time of year to get 500 yards passing on your ass, that’s for sure.

8. Adam-Chris Scheftersen says: Dec 22, 2009 12:21 AM

@Beer:
    Regardless of what anyone thinks of the officiating in that game or whether and to what extent the Packers’ defense is overrated, three of your points are absolutely not up for debate.
    I think I’d take Ahmad Carroll over Bush at this point, for one reason. He’d hack the shit out of his man, but that means you’d at least get another chance to stop them. Bush is just letting guys run past him. He’s lost.
    I’d take any of the three corners on IR over Bush. IN THEIR CURRENT CONDITION.

9. Adam-Chris Scheftersen says: Dec 22, 2009 12:22 AM

Joe in Toronto, Canada says:
    December 21, 2009 2:48 PM
    Not a great time of year to get 500 yards passing on your ass, that’s for sure.
    —————————–
    Is there ever a good time for that?

10. Beer Cheese Soup says: Dec 22, 2009 3:26 PM

# Adam-Chris Scheftersen says:
    I’d take any of the three corners on IR over Bush. IN THEIR CURRENT CONDITION.
    _____________________________________