Bengals bid farewell to Chris Henry

Many members of the Cincinnati Bengals organization traveled to Louisiana on Tuesday to say farewell to teammate Chris Henry, who died last week.

Speakers at the service included Commissioner Roger Goodell and Bengals coach Marvin Lewis.

“When you think of Chris, just take a moment and remember that smile,” Lewis said, per the New Orleans Times-Picayune.  “Remember that sparkle in his eyes he
got when he spoke about his family and his friends and football.”

Goodell said that Henry, who had been suspended several times by the team and the league office, “seemed to be doing the right things,” and that he “seemed to be focused.”

“I think he understood as time went on how important his family was and his responsibilities to his family, and I think that includes his NFL family.”

We’re told that one member of Henry’s NFL family who opted not to make the trip to Louisiana was  Bengals running back Cedric Benson.  He stayed in Cincinnati.

Permalink 72 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Cincinnati Bengals, Rumor Mill, Sprint Football Live - Rumors, Top Stories
72 Responses to “Bengals bid farewell to Chris Henry”
  1. samsara76 says: Dec 22, 2009 4:21 PM

Muckraker. why do I read this site?

2. Vikes-N-Favre says: Dec 22, 2009 4:22 PM

Roger Goodell should have stayed home as well. We all know that had Henry lived through that ordeal and the police were called for a domestic dispute that Goodell would have suspended him again.
    Now he acts like he cares so much when he doesn’t care at all. You couldn’t have a more fake person at such a sincere event unless you invited Mike Florio.

3. lurch says: Dec 22, 2009 4:23 PM

Why do you always write something and then have to try and make something out of what you write? Maybe Benson isn’t comfrotable at funerals and had personal reasons for not going. Don’t try and make it into something that it might not be. You don’t have to stir the pot with every article that you write.

4. chapnasty says: Dec 22, 2009 4:24 PM

“Though the mourning process is intensely personal in nature, the reality here is that, by not going to the funeral, the stage could be set for an issue between Benson and one or more of the guys who gave up a day to make the trip — especially if Benson’s reason for not going was that he simply didn’t want to go.”
    The reality is, you are just trying to stir the pot again. Benson has been on the team for what a year and a half now? Maybe he didn’t know Henry that well so didn’t feel a reason to just make the trip for the sake of making the trip. Or maybe they didn’t have enough seats on the plane and he figured that since he wasn’t that good of friends with him he would give his spot to someone who was. Jesus Florio, this is embarassing that you can take a post about guys going to mourn a death and turn it into something bad.

5. BengalsDouche2 says: Dec 22, 2009 4:24 PM

Or you’re setting the stage yourself to hopefully stir up some drama. People mourn in different ways. I know of people who didn’t go to immediate family members’ funerals b/c they don’t like funerals and they have their own way of mourning. Don’t try to start a fire on water Florio b/c there’s no issue here. Move on. This article was nice until you had to throw that last paragraph in there. You can mention that he didn’t go but that last paragraph ruined it for me. Nice job.

6. CurseofBoJackson says: Dec 22, 2009 4:26 PM

Way to jump to negative conclusions without any knowledge. Honestly? MAybe the guy doesn’t do funerals? Maybe he had another obligation? Maybe it doesn’t matter, he is tasked with carrying the ball and making blocks in pass protection, not with making sure he attends every funeral having to do with this team.
    That said, it is a bit disappointing to see he was the only one not to go, hope everything is ok with him.
    Cue the invalids from PFT making this about what a “bad person” Chris was. Do me a favor and shave your face with some mace in the dark, save all your food stamps and burn down your trailer park.

7. ilivincin97 says: Dec 22, 2009 4:29 PM

Why would you bring up any possible rifts inthe Bengals’ locker room? Today was not about Ced Benson, it was about Chris Henry. We all take loss in different ways, his may be to hide from it.

8. cballlv11 says: Dec 22, 2009 4:31 PM

You are crossing a line you ass! How dare you say something about how people you don’t know react to the death of someone else??? And then try to light a spark between players?? You are a piece of crap, and I will no longer read this site… I am also going to tell the people I know who read this to stay away from the mindless bullshit that you spout from your stupid head! You are a shit-stirring doosh bag. Go work for TMZ

9. someone_smarter_than_you says: Dec 22, 2009 4:32 PM

Benson could have outstanding warrants in the state of Louisiana.

10. Cleveland Sucks aka Philly Sewer Rat says: Dec 22, 2009 4:36 PM

I heard the truck was going about Ocho Cinco when Henry fell out…

11. Kaz says: Dec 22, 2009 4:36 PM

You really don’t know why Benson or other members of the team you left out didn’t go. I think it’s sad that on a day like this you want to try to start trouble. Very classy. Your Steelers won, why are you still so bitter?

12. Contra says: Dec 22, 2009 4:38 PM

Florio,
    Please visit other sports sites and read articles written by REAL sportswriters. You may notice they leave out stupid idiotic personal statements at the end of their articles.

13. PFFFFT says: Dec 22, 2009 4:39 PM

Stirring the pot at a time like this is low, even for you Florio.

14. MSWRavens says: Dec 22, 2009 4:40 PM

I’m a big fan of this site – and I’m no fan of the Bengals – but calling out Ced Benson like that is really foul and despicable. You have no idea why he didn’t attend, and I have to imagine that he was not the ONLY Bengal not to attend, and I’m sure he’s not the first teammate not to attend a teammate’s funeral. It’s one thing to stir things up about H Ward & Big Ben or Favre and Chilly…all of which deals with football. But to stir things up over someone’s death, and how individuals react to that is really beneath you Mike. You went way too far on that one…

15. lionelhutzlives says: Dec 22, 2009 4:42 PM

…or maybe it has something to do with the fact that Benson and Henry never served together on the Bengals, so he may not have been close enough that he felt he should go…
    …way to go Florio…trying to stir up trouble where there is no trouble to start with…
    …typical lawyer trick…

16. akw4572 says: Dec 22, 2009 4:43 PM

You’re an idiot…….making an issue out of someone not flying to LA. for a funeral? Jesus, that’s an all time low. Moron……..

17. iambruce says: Dec 22, 2009 4:45 PM

Nice job working something negative into this story. I wouldn’t expect anything less from you, Florio!!

18. Raider B says: Dec 22, 2009 4:49 PM

Trying to start beef Florio over someone not attending a funeral. Thats a new low even for your dumb ass!

19. Raider B says: Dec 22, 2009 4:50 PM

RIP SLIM

20. Strongbow says: Dec 22, 2009 4:56 PM

Yeah, let’s make an issue out of a tragedy, asshole.

21. Raider B says: Dec 22, 2009 4:57 PM

some people just dont like Funerals. No disrespect was intended im sure. Florio should have some respect himself, and just leave it alone! A man is dead, and florio is trying to start drama. Pathetic!

22. Manbearpig says: Dec 22, 2009 4:57 PM

What gives you the right to speculate on the reason someone did or did not go to a funeral? You have no idea why he didn’t go.
    I know you like to stir up controversy on here, but at least have a little respect.
    Stick to annoying people with 100’s of Moss/Favre stories if you have to.

23. chapnasty says: Dec 22, 2009 5:00 PM

Look at the number of comments already…. mission accomplished

24. if yer not first... says: Dec 22, 2009 5:04 PM

I’ve only been reading this site for a couple weeks and that’s enough.
    As bad as espn is (and they are baaaaaadddd) it’s nothing compared to the idiocy this effin moron spouts daily. Why in the hell would it matter to you Florio if Benson was there or not?
    I’m writing NBC.

25. Raider B says: Dec 22, 2009 5:04 PM

I demand a retraction of the last two paragraphs out of respect for Henry and the bengals and humanity. Florio just set a stage for an issue with him self and the rest of the human race.

26. Cleveland Sucks aka Philly Sewer Rat says: Dec 22, 2009 5:07 PM

That’s how Chris Henry rolls…

27. Ralph Gre Nader says: Dec 22, 2009 5:07 PM

I’m glad I’m not the only one who recognized how STUPID that last paragraph is. Typically I’m in the one percent that read this site who don’t think you’re always trying to start a fight/argument, but on this one you are so completely off base I was shocked to read that. Why would anybody choose to go to a funeral if they didn’t have a personal attachment to them? Absolutely ludicrous.
    You are so off base here. This is one of those instances where you need to actually explain why the hell you would even think that. You couldn’t possibly have fully thought that through before you started hammering away at the keyboard. What a freaking knucklehead.

28. BobsCountryBunker says: Dec 22, 2009 5:08 PM

INCOMING!!!! Need a hug Florio?

29. ZombieRevolution says: Dec 22, 2009 5:09 PM

“We’re told that one member of Henry’s NFL family who opted not to make the trip to Louisiana was Bengals running back Cedric Benson.”
    PFT is always at its best allowing an outlet for those with an ax to grind, without the guts to do it publically. This is how Florio “breaks” so many stories- someone in the organization is unhappy with a developement and what better way to express it than thru the biggest NFL gossip rag on the internet?

30. if yer not first... says: Dec 22, 2009 5:20 PM

if anyone’s interested here’s the email to send a complaint about this idiot
    E-mail NBCSports.com

31. Strongbow says: Dec 22, 2009 5:20 PM

Damn Florio, I’ve already commented and I’m still pissed.
    Can you let us know when your book on Funeral Etiquette is released so we all can abide by your rules of mourning.
    Use your head a little bit.

32. TheWizard says: Dec 22, 2009 5:23 PM

I heard the fiance gave a speech.
    Shouldn’t she be………..facing some charges ?

33. hayward giablommi says: Dec 22, 2009 5:30 PM

I’m on record as saying Chris Henry was a fool for what he did to cause his own death. Just my opinion, you can take it or leave it (even if that’s what many people are thinking and don’t have the heart, or balls to say it).
    But even I think you’re tacky for throwing crap against the wall like you did re: Benson.
    Your comment is a shining example of why people HATE (and distrust) the media.

34. batman56 says: Dec 22, 2009 5:35 PM

come on are you serious florio? so what if benson didnt make it. alot of people dont like funerals… everyone deals with tragedy in there own ways. i dont think he didnt attend to disrespect chris henry or his family or the bengals as a team. im sure he has his own motives and you shouldnt judge him for not going… i hope you read all these comments that people are leaving that ripping u a new one… i think alot of people just lost respect for you as a writer… next time think things thru… perhaps looking into why benson didnt go n then writing about it in another story… just some food for thought but i think you really failed on this story, i think you should repost a story to fix this one u just dropped the ball on… better luck next time florio

35. sammm says: Dec 22, 2009 5:36 PM

@Cleveland Sucks aka Philly Sewer Rat:
    Crawl back in your sewer you pathetic POS.

36. kazkal says: Dec 22, 2009 5:37 PM

Cedric better have had a good reason plenty of non Bengal Players went…TJ went so who wouldn’t cedric?

37. Stoogie says: Dec 22, 2009 5:45 PM

I’ve been visiting PFT since ’03 and those last two paragraphs are probably some of the wildest, most speculative things that I’ve ever seen put up here.

38. patriots33 says: Dec 22, 2009 5:49 PM

I have to say I’m never surprised by the things that this guy writes..but this was unbelievable. Even for a guy who makes a living out of stirring the pot out of every little story, this is by far the most idiotic and nonprofessional article I have ever read. ever. We are not talking about a game here, we are talking about a man who lost his life, and to make matters worse, just days before the holidays. Families and teammates are mourning this tragedy and then you have this asshole Florio trying to make a story about it, calling out people who weren’t at the funeral. Unbelievably unprofessional and completely heartless. This will be the last time I visit this site. NBC made a mistake when they teamed up with this dickhead.

39. DayAllOnJuice says: Dec 22, 2009 5:51 PM

I’d love nothing more than to see the bengals do their usual self destruct, but that is just poor taste Florio.
    I’ve been around here from way back and watched you turn from a guy that made a lot of smart observations to a guy that will say whatever he can say to stir up controversy and drive up comments. I get that…. but this is really not the time. You might want to rethink that one.

40. Cardinals19 says: Dec 22, 2009 5:57 PM

I’ve been reading PFT for almost 3 years now, which means that I’ve had to sit through a fair amount of Florio’s Steeler fetish, and there have been some extremely stupid articles posted on here during the time I’ve read, most featuring way out there accusations in an attempt to stir up drama and get more page views. This may be one of the best examples of this I’ve ever seen. Seriously Florio, if you love drama so much you should make the next reality show: “Secret Life of a Shitty Reporter”.

41. Richm2256 says: Dec 22, 2009 5:59 PM

No “do overs” for PFT, Mike. The people have spoken and overwhelmingly say you are wrong.
    Gotta agree that while Benson would need a damn good reason to not attend the funeral of his teammate and fellow offensive player or else look like a total douchebag, this news could have waited for a later entry. Idiot or victim, it was Henry’s last presence on this earth. It doesn’t get any more sollemn than a man’s funeral.

42. Ralph Gre Nader says: Dec 22, 2009 5:59 PM

“…especially if Benson’s reason for not going was that he simply didn’t want to go.”
    Who the f-ck WANTS to go to a funeral?
    What a stupid line.

43. Swanie says: Dec 22, 2009 6:03 PM

In Florio’s defense he hasn’t always been an ass hat.Not until he sprouted peacock feathers. This sight was about football the game.now it has become about football players and what kind of drama they can drudge up. Cant turn a lawyer into a journalist they have no heart or is it a dark heart.

44. INVAIDUH says: Dec 22, 2009 6:07 PM

Seems like I’d just be beating a dead horse at this point.
    What they said!

45. Ralph Gre Nader says: Dec 22, 2009 6:08 PM

Sorry Florio but im with this guy…
    ” Stoogie says: December 22, 2009 5:45 PM
    Now that you’re mainstream media, why didn’t you merely make a call to the Bengals’ organization to find out if there was a reason why Benson didn’t go? I’m sure that someone at NBC could have sent you the number to their PR guy. This is borderline irresponsible and judging from some of the other comments, it crossed that line.”
    You nailed it, brother. I’ve read/refreshed repeatedly this site for 3 years now and that is the most mind boggling thing I have read from you….(aside from when you’re writing obituaries for the living.)

46. J3 says: Dec 22, 2009 6:10 PM

Benson does have a sketchy history. Understanding that, I know ced wasn’t happy when LJ came to town. Cedric checked out mentality then physically when thomas jones arrived in the windy city. Ironically, who does the bengals play this weekend. I’m just saying…..

47. DocBG says: Dec 22, 2009 6:14 PM

wouldn’t it be absolutely hillarious if it came out that not only was florio paid per seinfeld reference, but was also paid per comment because he it increased the amount of time an average person was on his website, thereby able to increase the amount of cash from advertisers?
    you people that are outraged by it, then feel the need to comment on it are hillarious, all you are doing is filling coffers.
    personally, I don’t care because I’ve had sprint long before I knew about PFT, and run Adblock on firefox, so i dont see a damn ad anyway cept for that ticketcity static. If your pissed, put your money where you mouth is and cancel your cellphone contract with sprint, and tell’em its because of what he wrote, my bet is that not a single person will.
    tools.

48. DayAllOnJuice says: Dec 22, 2009 6:14 PM

I’ve posted a lot of negative comments about Henry over the years, but I just saw on the news that he was an organ donor and his organs were given to 5 people. That is a big time selfless thing to do.

49. BonnieD says: Dec 22, 2009 6:37 PM

Why Florio? Why can’t you just say something nice about Chris Henry and let it go? Why do you have to be nasty and disrespect the dead? I hope his mother doesn’t read this site. Jerk.

50. chunky soupy sales says: Dec 22, 2009 6:40 PM

While on the subject of funerals, many of you need to be reminded that it appears Florio owns your souls.

51. andy in the ville says: Dec 22, 2009 6:54 PM

come on florio
    that’s nucking futs

52. BonnieD says: Dec 22, 2009 7:03 PM

After reading this, I am finally done with this site. It has become something truly ugly. To post something like this on the day of a man’s funeral is just too much. I’m deleting my bookmark and I’m never coming back. I wanted to tell you one last time what a jerk you have become Florio. You should be ashamed.
    I’m out.

53. Halftime says: Dec 22, 2009 7:22 PM

My father had a best friend, Larry, who was just like my dad. Country boys who grew up on farms and liked to fish. After they retired, my dad was at Larry’s farm from sun up til supper every day. They were inseparable. When dad was in the final stages of cancer, Larry was at the hospital for him every single day, for hours at a time, to the very end.
    But Larry didn’t come to the funeral – which surprised me. I asked mom about it and she said she knew ahead of time that he wouldn’t be there and to just respect that some people can’t go to funerals. Don’t question the reason. Some people simply can’t.

54. penguininbondage says: Dec 22, 2009 7:31 PM

One, Less , Thug.

55. lilhopo says: Dec 22, 2009 7:32 PM

RIP Chris Henry, a true New Orleans Soulja. You’ll be missed

56. sbauer318 says: Dec 22, 2009 7:38 PM

I’ve been trying to figure out what to say for the better part of the day. I can’t believe this article. This site is a joke. I’m done with it.

57. scrapdawg12 says: Dec 22, 2009 7:40 PM

Could it be that Cedric was sick with the flu maybe? Maybe him and Chris Henry did not get along. Just because your team mates does not mean you have to be friends or like each other.

58. BengalsDouche2 says: Dec 22, 2009 7:42 PM

Stay classy penguininbondage.

59. ninjapleazee says: Dec 22, 2009 7:42 PM

wow Florio.. jus wow

60. ftball53 says: Dec 22, 2009 7:48 PM

Like it or not it is a legitimate QUESTION not statement to ask Benson. Anyone who has ever played sports or lost someone knows there is a flood of emotions entwined in both. Only time will tell the answer and good reporting…

61. Buff_bronc_fan says: Dec 22, 2009 7:54 PM

I think people are way to friggin sensitive. I found it interesting that Ced didn’t go. The fact that he was the only person on the team not to go seems newsworthy to me.
    The only problem I have with the article is that Florio kind of insinuated that Ced might not have gone simply because he didn’t want to. The truth of the matter is that Florio was very careful not to go so far as to make that claim, he just said that it “could” cause problems if that is indeed the case–which it may or may not be…
    But for crying out loud… I wish half of the people who claimed they are leaving forever actually did so. Go be self righteous somewhere else.

62. CincyJungle says: Dec 22, 2009 8:01 PM

I wondered if everyone from the team would attend the funeral. I don’t think it should looked down upon for Benson to not attend the funeral, it is a highly personal decision.

63. Gautam says: Dec 22, 2009 8:13 PM

get your last name changed … Mike Pot Stirrer, I used to visit this site for NFL news
    now this has turned into a site that aims to turn non-news into news
    and oh yeah, I was one of the guys who filled out the survey you had posted a few weeks back
    I suppose you never read my comments, did you ?

64. Youngone says: Dec 22, 2009 8:16 PM

Wow florio, just when I think you can’t get any lower. Everyone on this site has pretty much summed up everything I would choose to say about you but I’ll say this een though you will selectively not post this. You have a huge ego, you respect nothing and you are a douche

65. slipkid says: Dec 22, 2009 8:26 PM

i wouldnt criticize benson for not going. and i have criticized him a bunch before.
    funerals are for the living. maybe they had differences.
    have you gone to funerals for all co-workers (you ever had), including those you didnt know well or didnt get along with? eh, florio?

66. go_deep says: Dec 22, 2009 8:52 PM

“The fact that he was the only person on the team not to go seems newsworthy to me.” ….

67. Favre On HGH says: Dec 22, 2009 9:53 PM

————————–
    Statement was explained pretty clearly.
    Don’t see an issue to get upset over and doubt anyone who gets an email at NBC Sports in response to this will either.
    Bet half of you idiots come to the defense of Stallworth, Vick or anyone else who apologizes too. Hey he apologized, he must have changed and become a good person!

68. SuzyKolberIsAwesome says: Dec 22, 2009 10:03 PM

why do you have to read into Bensons motive for not going to Chrios Henry’s funeral? even for you, Florio that’s low…being a douchebag, it’s so you

69. Buff_bronc_fan says: Dec 22, 2009 10:37 PM

“He was not the only player who did not make the trip. Some of the assistance coaches did not travel either.”

Key word there is player… I didn’t say “members of the organization.” And I think your post makes my point for me. He didn’t report the other coaches not going because no one would care. But the fact that one of the players stayed behind is newsworthy if for no other reason than it is a game week and it’s not abnormal for members of the media to monitor players’ comings and goings midseason. Especially on a site that people come to looking for rumors…

70. go_deep says: Dec 23, 2009 12:22 AM

Actually, the key words in the post are, “He was not the only player who did not make the trip.” Ced was not the only Bengal player who did not attend the funeral…..

71. Ron E says: Dec 23, 2009 8:08 AM

A co worker of mine passed away this summer, a freak accident. I had worked with the guy for 10 years, and I considered myself close enough to him to go to the funeral, but I didn’t know him as well as several of my other co workers as I’m still kind of the new guy. I went to the visitations and there were so many people there, he had a lot of friends and family that were closer to him than me, I kind of felt out of place, and I decided not to attend the funeral at that point.
    Henry was young, had a lot of friends and family that I’m sure attended the funeral. He also had a lot of teammates and ex-teammates that I’m sure were a lot closer to him than Benson. There are tons of reasons for someone not to go to a funeral and it’s not nice to single someone out for not going.

72. Voice of Football says: Dec 24, 2009 12:35 AM

Mike Florio has become nothing more than the TMZ / vulture paparazzi of NFL “reporters”. Could he and his laughable toupee suffer from little man syndrome any more? Quite frankly, I’m surprised that NBC allows its reputation to be tarnished with its association with this talentless hack. I’d rather read Emmitt Smith than this bitter, hackneyed shite.