Mora admits he wanted Holmgren to return

Three years ago, coach Jim Mora cooked his own goose in Atlanta by musing on a Seattle radio show about the possibility of becoming the next coach at the University of Washington.

“I don’t care if we’re in the middle of a playoff run,” Mora told Dave Mahler and Hugh Millen of KJR.  “I’m packing my stuff and coming back to Seattle.”

Mora has since returned to the Pacific Northwest, but as the head coach of the Seahawks.

And while Mora’s most recent comments likely won’t result in such an immediate departure from his current gig, he might have made his job going forward even harder.

Mora let it be known that he wanted former coach Mike Holmgren to return as the G.M., and Mora has now acknowledged his wishes publicly.

“It’s no secret that I’m a Mike Holmgren fan, and I was an advocate of
him coming back
, to the point that I made my feelings known to the
people that make those decisions,” Mora told reporters on Monday, per the Seattle Times.  “I’m probably as
disappointed as anybody that he’s decided to reject our offer and go
onward.  I don’t know all the particulars.  I just know that I absolutely
have great regard for Mike Holmgren.”

But the particulars include the reality that some in the organization didn’t want Holmgren to come back.  And with plenty of Seahawks fans questioning the team’s failure to give Holmgren the power that he wanted, those in the organization who didn’t want Holmgren likely are cringing in response to Mora’s bolstering the complaints of the pro-Big Show crowd.

Also, the next G.M. — whoever it might be — could be a little uncomfortable working with a guy who has gone on the record regarding his preference to work with someone who didn’t take the job.

Then again, maybe the genius of Mora’s remarks is that talking about Holmgren not coming to Seattle could create a new opportunity for Mora in Cleveland.  Holmgren will want a coach who’s willing to show deference; who better to do that than a former member of Holmgren’s staff who has put his neck on the line by telling the world that he’d like to work with Holmgren again?

Permalink 15 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Cleveland Browns, Rumor Mill, Seattle Seahawks, Sprint Football Live - Rumors, Top Stories
15 Responses to “Mora admits he wanted Holmgren to return”
  1. Cubano says: Dec 22, 2009 3:26 PM

“Then again, maybe the genius of Mora’s remarks is that talking about Holmgren not coming to Seattle could create a new opportunity for Mora in Cleveland. Holmgren will want a coach who’s willing to show deference; who better to do that than a former member of Holmgren’s staff who has put his neck on the line by telling the world that he’d like to work with Holmgren again?”
    Florio you shit stirring bastard! Well done!

2. bearsrule says: Dec 22, 2009 3:26 PM

Is the “genius of Mora’s remarks” an oxymoron? If Mora said it, I doubt that “genius’ had anything to do with it.

3. AZ Red Bird says: Dec 22, 2009 3:44 PM

As a Cardinal fan I’m glad holmgren went to Cleveland. The second I heard he might be going to Seattle I said ‘NOoooooo!’
    he got the how many championships and they still let him go…what fool is running things up there.
    To Seattle…Arizona fans all say Thanks for not bringing Mike back!

4. mooremi9 says: Dec 22, 2009 3:46 PM

Florio you push more shit out on this website than a sick elephant.

5. Kuya 206 says: Dec 22, 2009 3:55 PM

The Browns can have Mora… this guy burned bridges all over the team, fans, and media in 2009.

6. Drat says: Dec 22, 2009 3:59 PM

All this Mora crap is crap. Mora’s statements about going to U Wash were obviously in fun, if you listen to the conversation, fun stuff about “of course, it would be great”. Mora has been blasted for comments made as a regular human being in a regular conversation. Regular human beings are not allowed in the NFL, and because Florio is a lawyer, and lawyers know that anytime you say anything in your life that does not fit the view, means you are toast. Florio: Mora is OK. Lay off.
    Of course, Florio will go into his legaleaze (or legalsleaze) and lay his long familiar, tired, and unimaginative moral landscape on this issue. So what?
    Mora is about the only honest voice among NFL coaches. Look, this guy is not twisted, nore is he undermining “Florio’s all American values.” Mora’s humor is great, but for a younger set than Florio can understand.
    Long live Mora. He will win a Superbowl.

7. VoxVagina says: Dec 22, 2009 4:11 PM

This is a non-story. stop trying to put some stupid spin on everything florio

8. tacious says: Dec 22, 2009 4:12 PM

Slow day Florio?
    I don’t know why I continue to come to this crappy TMZ_esque site?
    You just make $hit up…

9. Chicagojeff says: Dec 22, 2009 4:14 PM

Whats not funny or fun about Mora is how he became one of the guys in the ATL.. i hope he’s learned his lesson.. riding in DeAngelo Hall’s sports car is not what i want from my football coach be it in Middle school of Pro ball. Jim lost his credibility and his dad running his mouth didn’t help matters either. I think jim’s got enough on his plate to worry bout the GM stuff.. I think M Holmgrens’ best is simply in the rear view mirror..

10. nfloco says: Dec 22, 2009 4:52 PM

Someday Jim Mora Jr. may be a real head coach. For now, he manages to portay himself poorly. He needs a Mike Holmgren on his side right about now. Timing in regard to ass kissing is critical in the NFL. He needs to butter up to Holmgren as much as possible. He deserved to be cut in Atlanta, It would appear he may be relegated to lesser duties soon. I am not sure he would even be considered a quality offensive or defesive coordinator at this point. If the Seahawks continue to degrade so visibly (as evidenced by the ugly looking loss to Tampa Bay) and obviously….it may be sooner than later.

11. mrph22 says: Dec 22, 2009 6:53 PM

Mora wanted Holmgren to come back to the Seahawks? The comments from Mora and the statements about the terms of the Seahawk 11th hour offer to Holmgren are nothing more than transparent PR spin. Everyone knows it. This is an old story. The Seahawks and the Redskins are now the two most pathetically run (and coached) teams in the NFL.

12. VASeahawk says: Dec 22, 2009 8:54 PM

Florio.. I certainly hope you are correct. What a Christmas present it would be to have Mora go the way of Tim Noskill and leave the building for good.

13. FumbleNuts says: Dec 22, 2009 8:57 PM

Seahawks?
    This team is going NOWHERE really fast. Time to clean house and start over.

14. FumbleNuts says: Dec 22, 2009 9:12 PM

Without Holmgren, Mora is nothing.

15. GB3Pack4 says: Dec 22, 2009 11:12 PM

Where did the “Big Show” nickname come from?