Rex Ryan didn't know Jets were still alive after losing

On Sunday, Jets coach Rex Ryan raised eyebrows by conceding that a loss to the Falcons knocked Ryan’s team out of the playoff picture.

In reality, the team is still alive.

Ryan recently told Michael Kay of ESPN 1050 that the first-year coach simply was wr-wr-wr-mistaken.

“My thing is, I guess it’s a narrow focus, but our thing was we needed to win six games in a row,” Ryan said, via SportsRadioInterviews.com  “We thought that would be good enough and anything less then that and we would be out.  That was our mindset.  When that happened I just thought we were — I thought we were out.

“People can write anything they want, say anything they want about us, about me, whatever.  One thing I take offense to is that we threw the towel in or there is going to be some quitters.  If you know anything about me that’s one thing that you can hang your hat on is the fact that there is no quit in me.

“I had a problem with that, I can take anything else, but I had a problem with that because that isn’t who I am.  I just thought that we were out of the playoffs, but if we had zero wins we were going to play Indy and give them everything we got.  Now the fact that we are in the playoff hunt, I mean we are actually in a better situation today at this time than we were last week at this time.  It is a real possibility still and I don’t know why or how but I am just happy and thankful we do have the opportunity still.”

The Jets can clinch a spot with a Week 17 win over the Bengals if the following things happen in Week 16:  (1) the Jets must beat the 14-0 Colts in Indianapolis; (2) the Jaguars must lose to the Patriots and the Dolphins must lose to the Texans; and (3) the Ravens must lose to the Steelers or the the Broncos must lose to the Eagles.

Actually, items No. 2 and 3 aren’t a stretch.  The Jets winning in Indy?  That one falls a little closer to “long shot” territory.

Receiver Braylon Edwards said Monday that he doesn’t think the team deserves to make it to the postseason, based on their performance against the Falcons.  At one point, Edwards called the team’s offense “embarrassing.”

Ryan talked to Kay about this issue as well.

“Well I definitely don’t think we have an embarrassing offense,” Ryan said.  “I don’t feel that way at all.  After a loss and things, you can be critical of things and if you look at it on the surface we had seven points and you don’t win too many games in the NFL.  We did some good things in that game, you know four drives over 10 plays, and of course we did have the big pass to Braylon.  We did some good things; we had 33 plays in out opponent’s territory.  We missed three field goals, we would be feeling a lot better about ourselves had we converted those kicks and won the game.  Braylon is a great player and I love him, but I disagree with him.”

Ryan has no choice but to disagree with Edwards — even if Edwards is right.  And Edwards is right.  Playing a home game against a dome team that had been knocked out of the postseason the prior evening, the Jets should have  put more than seven points on the board if they had hoped to prove that they deserve a spot in the postseason.

Heading to Indianapolis on Sunday, one thing is clear.  It will take a lot more than seven points to beat the Colts.

Permalink 34 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Baltimore Ravens, Cincinnati Bengals, Denver Broncos, Houston Texans, Jacksonville Jaguars, Miami Dolphins, New York Jets, Pittsburgh Steelers, Rumor Mill, Sprint Football Live - Rumors, Top Stories
34 Responses to “Rex Ryan didn't know Jets were still alive after losing”
  1. hayward giablommi says: Dec 22, 2009 8:48 PM

What an embarrassment Wrecks Rhino is.
    That fact that Coach Rhino has no clue as to his playoff status is pretty shameful, too.

2. xscottx says: Dec 22, 2009 8:49 PM

Rex Ryan also doesnt know what the word “diet” means

3. Angela says: Dec 22, 2009 8:50 PM

I wish he coached my team… NOT!

4. grouchomarx1 says: Dec 22, 2009 8:57 PM

“The Jets would have been in an even better situation this week if they had, you know, won their home game against the Bengals.”
    Did they play this game already? What day is this? Better yet, what year is it? I picked a bad time to give up smoking.

5. Bill.Polian says: Dec 22, 2009 9:02 PM

Rex is obviously incredibly lazy which is why he is so fat so it shouldn’t be a surprise that he can’t even take the time to check over playoff scenarios before opening his mouth.
    The guy is a good DC but clueless about being a head coach.

6. JJMADDOG says: Dec 22, 2009 9:05 PM

Braylon Edwards knows embarassing, just look at his career. If Edwards says it, then it must be true. But you do realize it has nothing to do with him.

7. oldschool says: Dec 22, 2009 9:07 PM

I bet that he knew where the post game buffet was!

8. butchie11 says: Dec 22, 2009 9:10 PM

A coach not knowing all those factors to make the playoffs right after losing is not a stretch. Sorry, but I think they have bigger things to worry about then the complex tiebreakers.
    This is a non-story. I’m an Eagles fan and know very little about the Jets other then they really aren’t that good.

9. goJags says: Dec 22, 2009 9:11 PM

Heading to Indianapolis on Sunday, one thing is clear.
    “Revis will shutdown Reggie Wayne”.
    As a Jags fan i envy jets for taking Revis where Jags on the draft day of 2007 had made all the arrangement with the steelers to move up two position to grab this all-pro CB. But jets managed to grab him after trading more than 8 spots to grab revis and the rest is history.

10. superius says: Dec 22, 2009 9:12 PM

Well it’s my favorite time of year – Christmas and New Year’s are right around the corner and like clockwork the New York Jets are about to fail to make the playoffs…
    I like to take this opportunity to remember all the great New York Jet moments from the year that past.
    Like when they moved up in the draft to pick Mark Sanchez – and everyone who cheers for the Jets went nuts for weeks – QB problem finally solved!
    And when they signed Rex Ryan to be the new coach – the guy who’s new way and new attitude was going to bring the Jets to the promised land and make us all forget about that other AFC East coach – you know the one in New England. At least he didn’t kiss (or win) any rings.
    And how about Bart Scott warning the league about the “violent” D that the Jets were going to unleash. How it was “swaggerlicious”. Well I don’t know what swaggerlicious means but I guess it must have something to do with never shutting your mouth and not making the playoffs. Hoping Scott has a twitter account so I can follow him from his coach during the playoffs.
    And how about when the Jets won the super bowl this year. Do you realize that the New York Jets are the first team to ever win the SB the same year that they hosted it? It was also the first time the SB was ever played in week two of the year as well. I hope they go back to the old way of playing the super bowls next year.
    I look forward to the offseason – the most exciting time to be a Jets fan because every move is so genius – and for the glory days to continue to roll.
    Last thing, remember this from last year – “We got Brett Favre! We are winning the super bowl for sure this year!!” Look forward to when Jets fans crown their team the best in the NFL and SB champs again this off season.
    Merry Christmas New York!

11. Favre On HGH says: Dec 22, 2009 9:15 PM

Texans have as much chance to win as the Jets against Indy. That is a team that looks like they have given up for the year.

12. bearsrule says: Dec 22, 2009 9:18 PM

Holy Crap ! When Braylon Edwards feels comfortable ripping the offense, then the offense must be really bad.

13. scrapdawg12 says: Dec 22, 2009 9:19 PM

Rex you got a better chance of seeing God

14. ftomeo says: Dec 22, 2009 9:25 PM

15. No_Man says: Dec 22, 2009 9:34 PM

Aha… Ryan isn’t a quitter. He’s just stupid. Glad we got that cleared up.

16. Captain says: Dec 22, 2009 9:35 PM

Chuck Norris’ enemies didn’t know they were still alive after a few boots to the head.

17. VaBthang4 says: Dec 22, 2009 9:54 PM

Heading to Indianapolis on Sunday…
    L.O.S.S. LOSS-LOSS-LOSS!!
    -grin-
    …and whoever the dimwit is that said Revis’ll shut down Reeggie Wayne -chuckle- and Reggie prolly isnt playing. Haha…

18. Xpensive Wino says: Dec 22, 2009 10:09 PM

There are interesting cycles in the NFL. Hire retreads, hire coordinators, hire up and coming college guys, etc. Seems like we’re in a cycle right now where there are a number of coaches who seem thoroughly overwhelmed with the responsibilities of being a head coach. Train Rex there is certainly one of them.
    At the end of the day though, I blame the guys that hired them.

19. The Coop says: Dec 22, 2009 10:24 PM

@superius – best post i’ve read on this site in a long time.
    i don’t despise the jets, i despise their loser fans and the hacks that cover them.

20. superius says: Dec 22, 2009 10:35 PM

Sanchize! The next mangenius!

21. dedhed says: Dec 22, 2009 10:37 PM

Same old Jets dumb coach terrible franchise

22. bspurloc says: Dec 23, 2009 12:40 AM

Rex Ryan is funny shit……
    rather have him than bellicheat
    Bellicheat escaped from Porky’s Gym miss ballbreaker he is

23. No Florio ,no says: Dec 23, 2009 1:44 AM

Florio, they are professional football players not barbie dolls. The fact that the vikings are a dome team means absolutely nothing. dumb dumb dumb dumb dumb.

24. brasho says: Dec 23, 2009 1:47 AM

Ummmm, duhhhhh, uuhhh, hey Beavis, like the Jets lost to the Falcons and some junk, hhuhuhuhuhuuh.
    That was kind of an important fact you got wrong there, Florio.

25. WoPhat says: Dec 23, 2009 6:24 AM

Falcons.

26. WoPhat says: Dec 23, 2009 6:24 AM

Falcons.

27. Joe in Toronto, Canada says: Dec 23, 2009 7:05 AM

It’s bad enough when someone intelligent talks too much.
    Just STFU, Rex.

28. BaltimoreSports says: Dec 23, 2009 7:27 AM

This is why Rex isn’t the head coach of the Ravens.

29. Outfoxed says: Dec 23, 2009 8:33 AM

Betcha Fatzo Ryan knows where his next buffet is going to be. Worthless POS and wasted space.

30. gregsl41 says: Dec 23, 2009 11:18 AM

“You could go ahead and say 1, 2, and 3 could happen. But suggesting 1, 2, and 3 could happen TOGETHER is remote. And since 2 is actually 2 things, hoping for 1, 2, 3, and 4 things to happen — only one of which is in your own control — is not likely in the least.”
    I would agree with that if this article was written with any accuracy at all. I’m not sure why they would need one of #3 to happen but both of #2 to happen. There is no reason the Jets cannot get in if Jacksonville wins out, but the other three teams listed lose this week. Thus, they do NOT need #2 to happen.
    The reality is that you combine #2 and #3 AND INCLUDE WEEK 17. While the week 16 games are more likely for most, the help does not HAVE to happen in week 16 only.
    It should have been written like this:
    The Jets can clinch a spot with a Week 17 win over the Bengals if the following things happen in Week 16 (OR WEEK 17): (1) the Jets must beat the 14-0 Colts in Indianapolis; (2) the Dolphins lose to the Texans OR Steelers; and 3) ANY TWO OF THE FOLLOWING THREE THINGS OCCUR: a) the Jaguars lose to the Patriots OR Browns, b) the Ravens lose to the Steelers OR Raiders; c) the Broncos lose to the Eagles OR Chiefs.

31. joey-pickles says: Dec 23, 2009 11:34 AM

Uh can I just start rooting for a different team???
    Maybe like the Patriots because they win all the time, or maybe the Steelers because they have such a proud tradition of excellence. It must be so hard to sit in the ivory tower and look down on the rest of the league though. I don’t know if I could handle that kind of pressure…
    I guess I’ll just continue to back the team that I have grown to love (and hate), pork rolls and all…

32. dhrodgers52 says: Dec 23, 2009 1:12 PM

You guys are all tools. The Jets aren’t eliminated. Ryan explained why he felt like they were knocked out, by basically saying that they had slim to no chance if they lost to ATL. Braylon had a 65 yard td bomb so he obviously doesn’t suck. Indi might not even play their starters the whole game. By the way, the one thing Indi has (passing offense), we can stop, REVIS.

33. GRpatriot says: Dec 23, 2009 4:06 PM

Let’s play red light, green light? OK Mark?
    Mark costs the Jets some games, but it isn’t his
    fault…He wasn’t ready! He needed to sit and learn the offense. Not just the plays, but why are we running this play and the “big picture, grasp of the game”.
    He was throwing the ball when he should have taken the sack. Hard to win a game when you cause 4,5 picks!
    I still think he has the potential…

34. tleg81 says: Dec 24, 2009 11:48 PM

The thought of the Jets making the playoffs is the farest stretch of virtually any team still alive (exception being the Titans)
    My prediction, and quite frankly the most likely scenario based on the favorites winning games they should (we all know anything can happen)
    WK 16
    Jets lose to Indy, Indy favored by 5.5 – Jets out
    Jags lose to NE, NE favored by 8- Jags out
    Broncos lose to Eagles, Eagles favored by 7 – Broncos out (based on WK 17 predictions)
    Texans lose to the Dolphins, Dolphins favored by 3- Texans out (probably out regardless)
    Titans lose to Chargers – Titans out (only game where the “underdog” wins….cant believe the Titans are favored against arguably the hottest team in football)
    Ravens lose to Steelers, Steelers favored by 3 – Toughest game to call but eliminates niether team
    WK 17
    Ravens Beat Raiders, Ravens likely favored by at least 5 – Securing the 5 seed
    Steelers Beat Dolphins, Steelers likely favored by 2 or 3 – Securing the 6 seed based on head to head tiebreaker with DEN(another tough game to call, but as stated before, based on the favorite winning)
    Before any of you getting on me by predicting the favorites in WK 17, just wait, I cant see the Raiders being a favorite, and IF the Steelers beat Baltimore in WK 16, they will certainly be the favorite in Miami……And yes I know there are upsets, and yes, I know the home team generally gets 3 points just for being a home team…….But these seem like pretty likely predictions….The toughest games are the unpredictable Steelers beating the Ravens, and Miami…..but they are quite capable. They are also capable of losing 1 or both, if that happens its the Dolphins or the Broncos at the 6 spot………Point being…..The jets really have no shot, so Rex was right…he knows his team