Haley denies giving middle finger

On Wednesday, Chiefs coach Todd Haley responded to allegations that he fired a middle finger at a fan following Sunday’s loss to the Browns.

Haley says he didn’t do it.  But he said a lot more than, “I didn’t do it.”

“Even though I don’t listen to any of this, I was let know that was said,” Haley said.  “No, that’s not how I behave.  I have five children that I have to be a role model for and it’s not something I would do.  That particular area [of the stadium] I can say is sometimes a rough area.  This is the first team I’ve been a part of where the tunnel is actually at your bench.  It can be a rough area and I understand that.

“I spent 20 minutes before pre-game over there signing autographs, after pre-game [too]. . . .  I understand people being upset and mad.  I didn’t think last week it was quite as rough as some other times.  It’s an area you want to get through fast like the other day.  But again, it’s not something I do, want to do or be thought of as doing.”

Ugh.  That’s a little too much explanation for something that should have been resolved with a simple “yes” or “no.”  Hell, we would have preferred an explanation from Haley that he was merely trying to create a “V” with his finger, like this kid.

Permalink 24 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Cleveland Browns, Kansas City Chiefs, Rumor Mill, Sprint Football Live - Rumors, Top Stories
24 Responses to “Haley denies giving middle finger”
  1. Panthers1 says: Dec 23, 2009 11:39 PM

Ahhh….They start the fans out the right way in Philly. He’s on his way-Give him a battery/snowball (depending on weather) Ha!

2. Favre On HGH says: Dec 23, 2009 11:47 PM

$3000 for 3 games and parking? Browns game was one of those 3?
    Seems like Haley isn’t the only person in the Chiefs organization giving this guy the finger.

3. dudeustupid says: Dec 24, 2009 12:11 AM

alot of fans gather at the tunnel after the game…and so far only one fan claims he saw this…..and this guy was yelling “you should be fired”…what better way to get a coach fired than to start a controversy?

4. micker716 says: Dec 24, 2009 12:11 AM

Geez, the guy takes the time to reply to a ridiculous allegation, explaining why it’s ridiculous, and you want to play the “he doth protest too much” card.

5. UnstayBill says: Dec 24, 2009 12:14 AM

Where was Jack Harry during this explanation? He calls the coach a wussy yet he’s nowhere to be found during the conference. So who’s the wussy Jack?

6. JoeSixPack says: Dec 24, 2009 12:15 AM

That video actually made me LOL as the kids nowadays say.

7. Setobakura says: Dec 24, 2009 12:40 AM

Florio, stop feeding the trolls!!! These people think Philly is the only place on the planet where bad people live, and every other arena is lollipops and rainbows…. CHILD PLEASE!!!

8. mnmaverick says: Dec 24, 2009 1:02 AM

Maybe Haley was the one who bit Rodgers while Tapp gave the universally accepted version of sign language.

9. Desertman says: Dec 24, 2009 1:15 AM

abuse, abuse, abuse
    where is Child Protection Services in PHILLY? Do they have this agency in such an unruly city as PHILLY?
    this child is clearly being beat down and unable to express himself!!! not only that but look at the things he is being taught at HOME!!
    CPS – clear this child out of this house.

10. redsquare says: Dec 24, 2009 2:25 AM

Actually, he said a lot *less* than “I didn’t do it”. Read the transcript; all he says is a quick “no” in passing, then launches into a bunch of roundabout BS that does everything but address the question directly. Classic ducking behavior.
    Can’t answer a question directly, and keeps settling for field goals and punts in a terrible losing season. Growing pains and all that, but when are we going to see some guts from this guy to match his shouting?

11. Route36West says: Dec 24, 2009 5:32 AM

Couldnt you have found a kid giving the finger from another city other then Philadelphia. I think you got your quota of people calling philadelphians scum bags for the day.

12. last starfighter says: Dec 24, 2009 5:59 AM

Setobakura says: December 24, 2009 12:40 AM
    ==========
    No Philadelphia is not the only people with zero class, social skills, or humanity live but its reputation is well deserved.

13. Krow says: Dec 24, 2009 6:52 AM

Of course one can clearly see why any coach would give a fan like that the finger.

14. Richm2256 says: Dec 24, 2009 8:18 AM

@ Mike Florio:
    “Ugh. That’s a little too much explanation for something that should have been resolved with a simple “yes” or “no.”
    ————————————————–
    Mike, I don’t know if you actually read these comments or not, but I hope you read this one.
    There are many people who visit here regularly and have for years, that feel your style of reporting has changed dramatically since this summer. This quote above is a prime example of why.
    You skewered a man the other day for “flipping the bird” to a fan, without even talking to him first. You added fuel to a fire that could potentially cause this man unecesary and unfounded trouble, without doing a thorough job.
    Now that man has publicly stated that he didn’t do it, and you criticize him for his statement?
    First of all, I read that link; Haley was asked several questions by a reporter trying to get more out of him. So you’re going to criticize him for answering questions now? Are you never happy anymore unless you’re adding fuel to an issue?
    Next I’d like to ask why you aren’t criticizing this jackass reporter who made this public accusation, for not even going to Haley’s presser where he can ask the coach directly if he did in fact “flip the bird” (nice way to do a half-a$$ job yourself, Jack!) or to be confronted verbally by the man he is accusing. Nor are you criticizing the fan for attempting to ruin a man’s reputation with an accusation without even having the decency to say so publicly, for hiding behind his keyboard under the hem of a reporter’s skirt.
    There IS no story here; Haley denied making the gesture and the fan won’t publicly say it happened, and there are no other witnesses or video to back this fan up. And even if there were, big deal? This is the worst thing that is happening to this fan, even though he admits to yelling at the coach and probably deserved worse than a gesture?
    I’m not a Chiefs fan, don’t really care about Haley one way or another. I’m just disgusted with a candy-a$$ fan and two hack reporters trying to make a man’s life unecessarily difficult. The first hack lives in KC and I couldn’t give a crap less about him. The second hack runs my favorite website which I am sorry to say is sadly becoming the TMZ of sports reporting.
    You are better than this, Mike.

15. shannscott2000 says: Dec 24, 2009 8:22 AM

“My girlfriend, who knew nothing about this guy or the situation, saw a clip of him giving his sermon and said, “he’s lying”.”
    ___________________________________
    Debate’s over guys…redsquare’s girlfriend solved this one. End of discussion!
    What a joke!

16. divine says: Dec 24, 2009 8:26 AM

Yeah, I’m from Philly and I can testify that this city is full of retards. LOL. I moved to FL for a few years as well as AZ for a couple and realized what everyone was talking about. When I came back I was like, oh, shoot! They’re right!!! LOL. Its mostly a NorthEast thing, it seems. Or maybe its a liberal democrats thing? Hmm?

17. Richm2256 says: Dec 24, 2009 9:06 AM

Kudos to Mike Florio for running my above critical post on him. I was wondering if it wasn’t going to be allowed to see the light of day.
    Thanks Mike.

18. chunky soupy sales says: Dec 24, 2009 10:12 AM

“”I spent 20 minutes before pre-game over there signing autographs, after pre-game [too].”
    After pre-game would be DURING game, wouldn’t it?

19. mnmaverick says: Dec 24, 2009 10:13 AM

Part of Mike’s prob is that he allows too much abuse.
    Either you enjoy being here or you don’t. Nobody forces you to participate here. Use your God-given right to go elsewhere if you’re going to behave like you have PMS on a daily basis. Better yet, get a shrink.

20. KC_Vols says: Dec 24, 2009 11:26 AM

Richm2256 – I don’t think that posts are edited on here or reviewed before posting. Very surprised over the past few months how many posts on here have colorful and inappropriate language.

21. Richm2256 says: Dec 24, 2009 11:30 AM

mnmaverick says: “He provides a forum for Football fans everywhere to shoot the breeze and then gets ripped for it. ”
    No, maverick, he’s not getting “ripped” for having a forum, he’s getting “ripped” for what HE is saying on it.
    Feel free to ask Santa for a clue for Christmas, it’s not too late.

22. KC_Vols says: Dec 24, 2009 11:37 AM

“After pre-game would be DURING game, wouldn’t it?”
    Nope. I imagine he was referencing that after the pregame warm ups were over, he went over there.

23. BigEasy33 says: Dec 24, 2009 11:45 AM

who is in the stands to see him give the finger!!!

24. Lombardi 6 says: Dec 24, 2009 12:37 PM

I nominate him for the Ed Block courage award…