PETA says Vick getting Ed Block Courage Award is "not appropriate"

We mentioned earlier today the fact that the Eagles have voted quarterback Mike Vick the team’s Ed Block Courage Award recipient, and to the chagrin of some of you (and the delight of others) we shared our opinions in this regard.

Now, the People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals have issued a response.

“The Philadelphia Eagles fumbled when they gave Michael Vick the Ed Block Courage Award, which was named after a man who advocated in behalf of abused children,” PETA Senior Communications Coordinator David W. Perle said in a release.  “Michael Vick should not be the person anyone points to as a model of sportsmanship, even though he has now exchanged dogs for touchdowns after serving time for extreme cruelty to animals.  We wish him well in educating others, but this is not appropriate and does not mark a joyous moment in NFL history.”

Nearly a year ago, PETA and Vick discussed the production of a Public Service Announcement regarding dog fighting, but PETA declined to proceed after Vick’s lawyers reportedly asked PETA to support Vick’s reinstatement to the NFL in exchange for his involvement.  PETA also asked the NFL to require Vick to psychological testing, including an MRI brain scan, before allowing him to return to the NFL.

Permalink 96 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Philadelphia Eagles, Rumor Mill, Sprint Football Live - Rumors, Top Stories
96 Responses to “PETA says Vick getting Ed Block Courage Award is "not appropriate"”
  1. smiley says: Dec 23, 2009 2:44 PM

They’re right..that’s not appropriate and neither is that F***ing Samsung commercial you spring on us. My entire office heard it..thanks Florio!! Can’t do it from work anymore.

2. chapnasty says: Dec 23, 2009 2:44 PM

I dont need PETA to tell me that this award is pure political and racist garbage. Vick doesn’t deserve any award for anything. The crap he is guilty off is the exact opposite of courageous. He is the scum of the earth and even the “he did his time” dellusionists can’t support this at all.

3. Phillyman41 says: Dec 23, 2009 2:44 PM

Get real..Peta is a sad pathetic entity…….All of PETA followers are a bunch of old sad people….stick a sock in it…GO VICK!!!!!!!!

4. JayBackInTheBay says: Dec 23, 2009 2:46 PM

I’m sorry, I feel what Vick did was very worthy of ridicule and derision. However, I don’t think that gives PETA the right to infringe itself on the decisions of the NFL in any way, shape or form. Enough is enough already with you, PETA. Go away.

5. ndnjalabi says: Dec 23, 2009 2:48 PM

Does anyone even like PETA or care what they have to say? If you ask me, they are as close to terrorism in the US as you can get. They use scare tactics to get what they want, and its pathetic.

6. Phillyman41 says: Dec 23, 2009 2:48 PM

M. VICK….has proven that one can change their ways.
    To all the dog lovers I say this….one human life is worth more then a million dogs….Vick has changed his life around and a role model of one who makes mistakes and learns from them.
    So PETA…F-OFF! Theres nothing you can do now but talk crap and get all your old delusional frentzy pet loving losers against My boy Vick

7. CurseofBoJackson says: Dec 23, 2009 2:48 PM

Whoopty doo, No, he doesn’t deserve an award for courage, and no, it’s not at all surprising to see PETA complain about it.

8. cowboys1 says: Dec 23, 2009 2:48 PM

wow, The award might be a lil soon but I dont think its that big of a deal and he deserves it, his teammates voted for him and they are the ones that see him everyday. I think he has been genuinely remorseful for what he has done. I think PETA should team with Vick instead of bashing him

9. DWat393 says: Dec 23, 2009 2:49 PM

I’m no Vick supporter, but I am definitely less of a PETA supporter. Why is this being reported on twice in three hours?

10. Vince Drooley says: Dec 23, 2009 2:50 PM

And in other news, PETA president Mr. I. M. SelfRighteous, still blames his hatred of other human beings on his Mommy for spanking him when he was five. He recently told his therapist that he will never, ever forgive her and that he hopes she gets hit by a truck.

11. JP420 says: Dec 23, 2009 2:51 PM

PETA…What a joke. I love animals, but what else are they looking for Vick to do? I by no means agree with what he did, but he did his time and lost millions because of his actions. What gives?
    If I were PETA, I may focus a little more on guys like Donte Stallworth, for example. That guy ran over and killed a man and MADD hasnt even chimed in…PETA doesnt care about humans dying? Just animals? Kind of backwards if you ask me.
    Crazy world we live in…Some people just have no clue/idea.

12. chapnasty says: Dec 23, 2009 2:52 PM

It’s funny to hear Eagles fan’s describe PETA’s behavior the way they do and then act like it to opposing team’s fans. Way to go clowns!

13. yem123 says: Dec 23, 2009 2:53 PM

I am not surprised at all considering the AP sportsman and sportswoman of the year are Tiger Woods and Serena Williams and that Obama got the Nobel peace prize. This is the year of meaningless awards.

14. Igottz5onit says: Dec 23, 2009 2:54 PM

They are probably right but who cares since PETA has destroyed all the credibility they ever had by doing stupid stunts over the years in order to make me feel bad about eating a cheeseburger.

15. birdmancometh says: Dec 23, 2009 2:58 PM

Holy Crap! Shouldn’t these people focus on how to stop cruelty to animals instead of trying to throw a few more shovelfulls of dirt on Mike?

16. extreme469 says: Dec 23, 2009 3:01 PM

Vick is a joke…he shouldn’t win anything like this…it’s political…it’s ok…he will once again do something stupid sooner rather than later.

17. jtigrrrr says: Dec 23, 2009 3:02 PM

Vick deserves nothing… thats the probelm with letting him back in the nfl, people forget the horric things he did to animal life. He was a torturer…he felt supreme and chose which animals lived and which would suffer terrible deaths… The Eagles suck for starting this mess.

18. damnitall says: Dec 23, 2009 3:03 PM

@JP420 says:
    December 23, 2009 2:51 PM
    MADD can’t chime in about anything. Their president got busted for drunk driving some five years ago or so.

19. Phillyman41 says: Dec 23, 2009 3:04 PM

Yem123….another hater biggot…LOL…Enjoy my boy Obama for then next 8 years…and Serena tear it up for another 10 years……and as for Tiger….I aint mad at my boy for getting some on da side…..he will return to form and a bunch more Masters…
    Why dont you get out of your moms closet and get some fresh air….Its been a wonderful decade!

20. shinsnake says: Dec 23, 2009 3:05 PM

Whew, PETA says Vick doesn’t deserve the award. For a second there, I thought someone who mattered was going to say that.

21. edgy says: Dec 23, 2009 3:09 PM

I’ve had it up to here with PETA. They’re using him as a political tool and it’s time that they shut up and get back to chewing on their cud. I’m not saying that Vick deserves the award but don’t you get the feeling that if he had been named the worst person in the world that PETA would be there to say that he didn’t deserve to get that award as well?
    Oh and for the vegetarians and vegans out there that don’t eat meat because it harms an animal — don’t you think that when you pull your carrots or lettuce or other veggie out of the ground, wash them in cold water and then chop them to DEATH that they might feel more than a little pain before they become part of your salad? Think about that when you try to deal with your hypocrisy…..

22. dgreenfi says: Dec 23, 2009 3:10 PM

Michael Vick is an animal, why won’t Peta support treating him with ethics?

23. bamgrey says: Dec 23, 2009 3:11 PM

Vick was fighting pitbulls(which are primary breed for their aggressive behavior),not lil cute dogs. Great Danes are primary breed for racing and trained and forced to race and are abused and even put down by some when the don’t win. Horses are also pushed to raced and put down if the break a leg from being push to hard. Noone says a thing. But you can watch two people beat the crap out of each other in a ring and thats ok,but two dogs fighting is cruel. Animal including wild dogs and wolves fight in the wild everyday,its natural. What about the cultures that eat dogs and cats,you think that is wrong too. In India cows are not eaten,but we eat them. Most blacks think its disgusting to let a dog or cat lick them in their face and mouth while many whites see nothing wrong with it and these dogs and cats lick their own privates and butt holes. HUMMM!!!!!!

24. karmathaitch says: Dec 23, 2009 3:11 PM

Whats wrong with People Eating Tasty Animals???

25. The Centurion says: Dec 23, 2009 3:13 PM

Vegan that cant stand PETA here. They waste their time on way too many stupid issues when there are actually important things they could be doing but instead their worried about tainting Vicks image, or attacking the President for killing a fly…sigh…way over board.

26. Bigbluefan says: Dec 23, 2009 3:14 PM

Its time for all you row house dwellers to come in from the porch and start bashing PETA and telling us all how good Prick is
    He is the bottom line the Egurls have sold there soul for a chance at at SB win they have made there deal with the devil and have to live with it.
    They cheer for a common criminal like he is a hero
    This award is meaningless it came from the rest of the thugs on that team
    This year like every other the egurls will remain the only team in the NFC East to Never Win it all

27. Mike Quick says: Dec 23, 2009 3:17 PM

Surprise, PETA didnt agree with Vick getting the award. Thats some ground breaking journalism right there. Genius.

28. nvh65 says: Dec 23, 2009 3:18 PM

People with an ethical mindset generally have some belief in redemption. Vick has paid for what he did, bitter sniping at this point just makes PETA look small and undermines their position.
    Just because they don’t like something doesn’t give them any right to insist we follow their world view.
    There’s a joke in here about flogging a dead horse. But I’m too tactful, oh wait…

29. chapnasty says: Dec 23, 2009 3:28 PM

@ phillyman
    If Obama was to get relected he would only be there for 7 more years. IDIOT
    Serena is cool and she has a phenomial backside but she needs to cool it with the thuggery. But man that as$ is amazing

30. Cassidy5180 says: Dec 23, 2009 3:32 PM

Wow,
    Someone should definitely run a Correlation to see if IQ goes down as support for Mike Vick goes up. My favorite is “If I were PETA, I may focus a little more on guys like Donte Stallworth”. First off, the A stands for Animals so not sure PETA gets involved in DUIs. Here’s a FACT: killing 1 person accidentally while drunk, while wrong, is much easier to understand than methodically torturing and murdering animals over a long period of time. The key word is ACCIDENT.

31. Phillyman41 says: Dec 23, 2009 3:34 PM

Bigbluefan….Get a CLUE…Antonio Pierce got fined for leaving his 2 pitbulls on a scortching hot deck a few years ago…..You are a VA-Giant…buthole

32. Hooby says: Dec 23, 2009 3:38 PM

peta doesnt deserve any say in anything. the last thing i heard peta say was defending the rights of the fly obama killed.
    MURDERER!!!!
    what vick did is cruel and disgusting. but we dont know why he got into it. couldve been that his friends got him into it, he might have just got caught up in it. either way the thing is that hes done with it and has shifted his focus to football (see; Phi@Atl, 2009). it just annoys me that people keep bringing it up. imagine how it makes him feel. hes still a human, and hes likely rehabilitated. 18 months in prison and all your money will do that.

33. NachoBidness says: Dec 23, 2009 3:39 PM

It’s none of PETA’s business what awards Mike Vick gets whether he deserves them or not. It must be nice to have nothing better to do than to walk around and harass people that you’ve never met in your life. Get a life PETA.

34. Igottz5onit says: Dec 23, 2009 3:45 PM

@ Bamgrey
    I am pretty sure you mean Greyhounds not Great Danes are used primarily for racing, although I think watching Great Danes Race would be more entertaining.

35. chunky soupy sales says: Dec 23, 2009 3:47 PM

“”The Philadelphia Eagles fumbled when they gave Michael Vick the Ed Block Courage Award”
    Ahhhh, I see what they did there.

36. FootballFanatic718 says: Dec 23, 2009 3:50 PM

Peta needs any kind of way to get themselves heard through the media. One time I was walking in the city of New York and one of those Peta rejects threw paint on me. So I made him wear his blood on his jacket when I cracked him across the face. Im so sick of this organization and what they have done to Mike Vick. The man paid his dues and he is redeeming himself. Let the man live….

37. 31FLAV says: Dec 23, 2009 3:51 PM

Does anybody really even care about what Peta thinks?

38. spdy3450 says: Dec 23, 2009 3:52 PM

I do not know what Vick has done to deserve this award and frankly, it doesn’t seem like any of the rest of you do either. I will say this though, given the choice of listening to the opinion of those around him (his teamates) or listening to that of an organization known for their extreme views and actions i’ll take the former. Last thing is that if Vick has helped out abused children in his community then he is deserving.

39. pepspencer says: Dec 23, 2009 3:57 PM

okay…his crime was against “dogs” not humans…i don’t like him nor do i support what he did but let’s keep things in perspective – it was DOGS! PETA needs to pick a new target to make headlines off of!

40. hornbakn says: Dec 23, 2009 4:00 PM

41. FootballFanatic718 says: Dec 23, 2009 4:02 PM

All you Vick haters and Animal lovers that watch Boxing or UFC at that, do you think its correct we cheer for humans beating each other up? Do you think its politically correct? We cheer when one of our teams defense knocks someone on their ass, is it ok to inflict pain on one another. Don’t say that nobody has died in a ring cause your wrong. I think the US has gotten soft because of people like Peta.

42. Castro95 says: Dec 23, 2009 4:04 PM

Why is PETA chaseing a man who did his time for his horrible acts other than to get political publicity. That make you wonder about the groups overall intentions.

43. VonClausewitz says: Dec 23, 2009 4:05 PM

I’m confused as to why nobody has done an investigative documentary on what PETA actually is. As far as I can tell the entire purpose of their organization is to be in the news. They have a vaguely feelgood mission statement – the ethical treatment of animals – but they never actually define what they mean by it. In fact their animal shelters have very very low adoption rates and very very high euthanasia rates. Their killing of thousands of animals a year would indicate a peculiar brand of ethics, yes?
    When you examine their causes they seem to be chosen to be both futile and unimpeachable. They never pick a cause where they can change the status quo. It’s always causes that are self-congratulatory, and, frankly, small-fry. And they never seem to improve anything.
    But they do spend a lot of time promoting celebrities.

44. yem123 says: Dec 23, 2009 4:06 PM

wow Phillyman, you are a complete moron. Then again I shouldn’t expect any less from someone with that screenname.

45. csl del mar says: Dec 23, 2009 4:08 PM

I would love to give him an award – posthumously!

46. Phillyman41 says: Dec 23, 2009 4:09 PM

realityhater —First off, your mom is a asshole for bringing your ignorant a$ into this world.
    2nd of all, simply stated….he proved that someone can make mistakes….which we ALL DO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!….Learn from them ….and turn around…..Hey, I like the guy….I stand behind him being a Role Model……..
    Remember what I say….”1 human life is worth more then a billion dogs”
    GO VICK

47. yem123 says: Dec 23, 2009 4:09 PM

oh, and Phillyman, this is what happened with Antonio Pierce – his dogs got loose while he was in Arizona for the Superbowl. In case you didn’t know, that’s in February. And get this, February is cold! No scorching hot deck there. Also, learn how to spell and do math. Then you can post again.

48. chunky soupy sales says: Dec 23, 2009 4:11 PM

“.and as for Tiger….I aint mad at my boy for getting some on da side.”
    LOL, you should be mad at Tiger, because out of all the side he got, apparently no black woman is good enough or attractive to him. I don’t know if he ever went black but it’s clear he never went back.

49. Phillyman41 says: Dec 23, 2009 4:12 PM

chapnasty — Obama hasnt been in office for a complete year YET, you asswipe…..so speaking from a composite point of view he will be in office for a total of “8” years “WHEN” he is re-elected
    But I know that point escaped your pea for brain that cannot connect the dots.

50. skinsfan1970 says: Dec 23, 2009 4:12 PM

Not that this compares to what Vick has done but isn’t it PETA who goes around throwing paint on people with furs? Don’t they often threaten people with distruction of their personal property?
    For them to talk about who deserves what, I say you deserve a blackeye if what I hear and read are true.

51. CAM says: Dec 23, 2009 4:13 PM

Cassidy5180 – I certainly hope during your lifetime no one you love or even know is killed by someone who was drunk because I am sure you would not walk up to them and say “Hey, I know it was just an ACCIDENT”. I am a dog owner and what Michael Vick did was wrong but for you to even remotely justify that what Donte Stallworth did is “much easier to understand than methodically toruring and murdering animals” boggles my mind on what kind of a human being you are.

52. PolegoJim says: Dec 23, 2009 4:23 PM

Are they’re not bigger fish to fry than to troll Mike Vick for the rest of his life?
    Dispicable acts by him followed up by PETA trolling. Both wrong.

53. chunky soupy sales says: Dec 23, 2009 4:26 PM

“Cassidy5180, so which part of Stallworth’s DUI was an accident? Did he accidentally drink beer? Or did he accidentally drink until he got drunk? Or did he accidentally get behind the wheel of his car drunk? Or did he accidentally speed down the road drunk? Please refresh my memory.
    Not saying that PETA should be involved in Donte’s mess, but the fact that they worry more about animal than human life says more, to me, about their IQ than those supporting Vick.”
    The reason Stallworth was not charged with anything harsher is because the guy he hit was crossing the road in the wrong place and NOT in the crosswalk. Not saying what Stallworth did was okay, but the guy not using the crosswalk does make a difference in the outcome of a trial.

54. Chuck says: Dec 23, 2009 4:29 PM

REALLY… PETA go away, who made you judge and jury of anything. The Eagles PLAYERS voted for him, you can’t control who they vote for…so MIND YOUR OWN PETA BUSINESS…

55. slipkid says: Dec 23, 2009 4:35 PM

the peta-etas have a point, altho it is obvious to sentient individuals, of which a bunch of yall are not. vick doesnt deserve squat.
    but thanx to vick and the peta crowd… just try to adopt a dog. unless u swear u have no other animals and wont leave it outside alone/unsupervised, modern no-kill shelters wont adopt a dog out to ya. especially if u are a man.

56. Matt K says: Dec 23, 2009 4:36 PM

Vick receiving an any type of award is a joke. Ed Block would be ashamed. Lay off the PETA slams, they try to prevent abuse/neglect.

57. Phillyman41 says: Dec 23, 2009 4:37 PM

Yem123, I wasn’t referring to that incident you MORON. When he played with the redskins, he got caught leaving his Pitbulls outside on his deck. He used to live right around to the corner from me as I Live in Ashburn VA.
    Oh and I have pictures of me and the pric if you want to validate my claim….I didnt know this was a “Spelling word, or math forum”……Anyway, again I say..Your mom is an Asshole for bringing your dumb ass into this world. Happy Trails.

58. Vickhater says: Dec 23, 2009 4:44 PM

You can’t take the comments of any retarded eagles fans seriously. They’re all losers just like the Eagles organization. From Joe Banner, to Andy Reid, to Michael Vick. They’re all scum, like the football fans in Philadelphia. I hope Vick gets hit by a truck, or something slightly more painful. He should, and will, rot in hell.

59. clavette says: Dec 23, 2009 4:44 PM

i support peta. people eating tasty animals. i even have a t-shirt for support

60. Phillyman41 says: Dec 23, 2009 4:48 PM

Vickhater—- I wish the same fate for you and family (Including any animals you may have)…that you wish on Vick.
    “1 human life is worth more then a billion dogs”

61. KingJoe! says: Dec 23, 2009 4:49 PM

Who cares what PETA thinks, they are on the same plane of existence as Al Sharpton.

62. Tom Pafford says: Dec 23, 2009 4:49 PM

F PETA

63. Phillyman41 says: Dec 23, 2009 4:50 PM

Vickhater….why dont you sit on Vicks lap….cause that what it sounds like you need.

64. scorpiodsu says: Dec 23, 2009 4:55 PM

Well since this is an award that he received based on his peers, it doesn’t bother me. PETA is irrelevant and they can’t tell players how to feel. If his teammates support him and wanted him to win the award then there is no issue. They are the worst and are upset because everytime we walk by them entering the link, no one pays them any attention. They weren’t out there last sunday because I could see a bunch of snow balls getting tossed in their direction. They don’t get it. People just want to watch football. I don’t care about guy’s personal lives or personality. If it’s not affecting the team in a negative way, it’s irrelevant to me.

65. JunkYardDogg1156 says: Dec 23, 2009 4:56 PM

CAM says: December 23, 2009 4:13 PM
    __________________________________AMEN Cam.
    Mike Vick is the lowest form of life. He took animals that refused to fight & tortured them for kicks. He electrocuted, drowned, beat to death & hung these dogs all because they weren’t fighters & were docile. Do any of the Vick defenders even understand that is serial animal murder – have you even read anything about the amount of abuse he put docile animals through for a SIX YEAR period? Not once, not twice, not 3 times but repeatedly for YEARS! Seriously, this is someone Eagle fans want to defend? I understand PETA does go over the top but they believe they need to do the things they do to make people realize the extent of the animal abuse going on in the world. And if you read the Vick defenders & the attitudes on this type of animal abuse, PETA has a long way to go. Animal activists ARE minding their own business, they are speaking for the animals of this world that have no voices! To defend Mike Vick’s sadistic, cruel, serial animal torture & murder is ignorance, plain & simple.
    The ignorance when these subjects are brought up, by people that haven’t done any reading or research on the amount & extent of the real cruelty & crimes is amazing. Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups…this rings especially true when reading the responses defending Vick.
    “The greatness of a nation can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
    Mahatma Ghandi

66. jacobs says: Dec 23, 2009 4:58 PM

It is shocking. I am so disappointed in the Eagles corporation. The man deserves NOTHING. I look at my dog every day and wonder about the torture he inflicted when he made his “mistake.”

67. grey32 says: Dec 23, 2009 5:00 PM

I’m sorry but; M. Sick does so deserve a courage award. It’s takes a ton of courage for his sick a$$ POS to walk out on that football field. Someday and I hope soon some quiet defensive guy that never says much about anything will hit this scum bag at just the right time in just the right place and break is neck and if their is a God kill him, ugh accidentally of course.
    Tic Toc…

68. Phillyman41 says: Dec 23, 2009 5:06 PM

@grey32
    @JunkYardDogg1156
    “1 human life is worth more then a billion of your furry k9’s”
    Animals are just that Animals.
    You two are delusional unless you both sleep with your furry friends why would you elevate them above human life?
    I know its hard for you to understand. Oh Well…Vick lives on and those dogs have been long gone…get over it.

69. Phillyman41 says: Dec 23, 2009 5:08 PM

dog lovers are a bunch of losers

70. chapnasty says: Dec 23, 2009 5:11 PM

By Vick’s own standards shouldn’t he be killed by now? I mean he obviously isn’t fit to fight anymore. I’d say the “h” word but then I would be called a racist so how about we just beat the hell out him, hold him underwater until he stops kicking or hook a car battery up to his nipple while we spray him with a hose?

71. pshrug says: Dec 23, 2009 5:26 PM

“Courage” award? The “courage” to do what? Not electrocute dogs?
    How great to see his teammates voted him to get a “courage” award. I guess the NFL really does have a problem with head concussions.

72. proamerica says: Dec 23, 2009 5:28 PM

The eagles are just like their city scum!
    There’re guys in prison for killing babies; maybe the eagles would like to recruit them.

73. Tombstone7 says: Dec 23, 2009 5:29 PM

How many of the folks associated with PETA ever left the toilet seat up or forgot to put the seat back down or has even neglected to say, they’re sorry for telling a “white lie?” Probably most of them……the point here is, everyone makes a mistake of some kind and should be forgiven! I am not trying to compare apple to apples…..
    For PETA to continue to persecute MV has convinced me that my tax-deductible contributions will no longer go to this HUMANE SOCIETY…..PETA will show forgiveness to a snake that will try to eat you alive,before they give a Black Man a break! PETA, you have made your points about MV….your organzation does not believe in forgiveness. End of story!

74. Igottz5onit says: Dec 23, 2009 5:29 PM

@chapnasty
    God that was racist
    Just joking, you actually made a good point for once.

75. damnitall says: Dec 23, 2009 5:31 PM

@hornbakn says: December 23, 2009 4:00 PM
    Thank you, hornbakn, you saved me a lot of time coming up with the proper response to this assholes comment.

76. SuzyKolberIsAwesome says: Dec 23, 2009 5:34 PM

it’s a big FU by the Eagles & there organization to anyone who is offended by what VICK did…you never hear ANY players say they are offended by what Vick did do you? for Andy Reid, this becomes a way to make up for the fact that his two sons got into trouble w/drugs, …the words Micheal Vick and COURAGE should NEVER be used in the same sentence

77. damnitall says: Dec 23, 2009 5:42 PM

@# clavette says: December 23, 2009 4:44 PM
    i support peta. people eating tasty animals.
    Tasty animals belong on the plate right next to the mashed potatoes and gravy. Vegies included if you prefer.

78. Captain says: Dec 23, 2009 5:43 PM

Chuck Norris thinks PETA is not appropiate.

79. WCRaider says: Dec 23, 2009 5:44 PM

PETA are the experts of doing that which is inappropriate. Oh well, guess I better get back to cooking that cut of Bessy the Tasty Cow. Rare, anyone?

80. ravenfan820 says: Dec 23, 2009 5:46 PM

The Ed Block Courage award is for someone who has shown courage in making a coomeback from injury or some other personal tragedy.
    It is not meant for someone who went to jail becuase they were killing other living things.
    That is the best recipient that the Eagles could put forward????

81. Klytus says: Dec 23, 2009 6:20 PM

What did he do to deserve any award? Say all the politically correct things an ex-offender is required to say? It certainly isn’t his play though
    the NFL is probably laying the ground work for a playing on a another team.
    If anyone deserves an Ed Block Courage Award it would be wide receiver Derrick Mason of the Ravens!! I’ve seen that guy make plays while in excruciating pain for several seasons. That takes real courage.
    It doesn’t take any courage to beat helpless dogs to death. Vick is a punk.
    GO STEELERS!

82. JunkYardDogg1156 says: Dec 23, 2009 6:26 PM

# Tombstone7 says: December 23, 2009 5:29 PM
    The Black Man thing is tooooo funny, to hear anyone try & make this about race is about the dumbest thing ever written here. Forgiveness for a MISTAKE?? Six years of some of the most senseless, horrific animal torture & murder ever brought to public light is A mistake? Notice instead of defending their hero’s behavior in regards to sub-human, sadistic behavior (which of course there IS NO DEFENSE), it becomes about race or name calling. If it’s deflected to race or we name call & say ignorant things, that makes people mad & clouds the REAL ISSUE – Mike Vick TORTURED abused, maimed, electrocuted, drown, horrifically beat & serial killed animals just for sh*ts & giggles. But, keep screaming race discrimination, keep name calling.

83. stnmmc says: Dec 23, 2009 6:30 PM

# FootballFanatic718 says: December 23, 2009 4:02 PM
    ____________________________________
    I am in no way a PETA supporter, I just wanted to play devil’s advocate here. I think the issue is that those who box or enter the octagon are doing so as a choice. The dogs that Mike Vick and others are fighting are not doing so by choice, they are doing so as a means of survival.
    It is that sense of free will that separates us from animals, the ability to think through the consequences of our actions. Oh, and opposable thumbs, they help too

84. basedrum777 says: Dec 23, 2009 6:31 PM

Chapnasty has it right….
    The reason we can stand watching MMA or boxing is that the boxers involved have free will. Dogs that are involved in fights are trained without free will to kill each other. Its inhumane and Vick is a terrible offender of it.
    A life is a life no matter if its a human, a dog or a fish.

85. Favre On HGH says: Dec 23, 2009 9:37 PM

_______________
    How about I drag you out of your house in the middle of the night and throw you in a ring with a UFC fighter?
    Difference is having a choice in the matter idiot.

86. rkjohn says: Dec 23, 2009 9:38 PM

I never liked Vick.
    Even before he was discovered to be a dog killer. I didnt like him then and I dont like him now. But for God’s sake he served his time in PRISON. We no longer let people be even AFTER THEY SERVE THEIR TIME! Does no one on this planet ever let anything go anymore? Wait. Dumb question. Of course not. You have to have more maturity than children to have that capability.

87. Favre On HGH says: Dec 23, 2009 9:40 PM

Same as handing the award to someone who suffered a self inflicted gunshot wound.
    Just not quite right.

88. purepro1 says: Dec 23, 2009 9:47 PM

F peta, he did his time. get over it.

89. McNabb2JacksonAllDay says: Dec 23, 2009 10:23 PM

Once again….
    The Ed Block Courage Award “FOUNDATION” promotes the prevention of child abuse by raising awareness of the epidemic and assisting agencies who provide for the care and treatment of abused children in communities throughout the NFL. The objective is coupled with the Foundation’s commitment to celebrate players of inspiration in the NFL.
    The actual AWARD is given each year to one player from each NFL team who his teammates find as a source of inspiration, it has nothing to do with raising awareness for child abuse, that is what the Foundation itself is for.
    So Vick could be just the right player for this award, yes he messed up big time in ways some find unforgivable.
    But as far as we can see he has cleaned himself up, has helped speak at Philadelphia schools and other outlets, and he has turned his whole life around.
    His teammates may find that inspirational, that a man who was once cast out from society can turn his situation around by doing the right things.
    This award has nothing to do with the opinion of PETA, Florio or any one other than Michael Vick’s teammates. Because this award is voted on by the team on the one player who inspires them, the Eagles as a team selected Vick. No one should have a problem with that.

90. dsmith4444 says: Dec 23, 2009 10:31 PM

F PETA is right. If anyone wants to get bitch slapped, walk up to me and tell me you are a member of PETA. Or better yet, throw some of that blood on me. I would like nothing better than to bitch slap one of those MF’rs. They don’t want you to have pets, period. Look into this group and then tell me you agree with their politics. They lie, circumvent, obfuscate, confuse and do everything that they can to sensationalize half truths. Many years ago, my wife and I, donated to them until we woke up. It didn’t take long but I assure you, People like Florio and the rest of the half-assed media (the ones that just write on the net as bloggers.) lend credibility to PETA by listening to them and never saying what they really are. come on Florio, research and speak up.

91. joe d says: Dec 24, 2009 7:08 AM

should have been desean jackson not vick,jacksons dad died earlier this year of cancer,he dedicated the season to his dad,that’s inspirational,not a dog killing scumbag

92. willia says: Dec 24, 2009 8:34 AM

really hits home, after reading some of these replies, how many sick SOB’s are on the web… torturing & killing innocent animals is sick, serial killer material…. and much of the jibberish above is F#$% PETA? that’s just messed up.

93. comfortably_numb says: Dec 24, 2009 8:37 AM

So obama bin laudin is serving a 9 year term? In 10 years serena will be sooo big when she rolls over in bed her skin wont even move and you speak volumes about your single digit IQ with a statement of support about what tiger did. Phillyman41 you are a complete idiot. Next time you say something that stupid, at least fake a stroke or something so somebody might feel sorry for you and maybe give you a bowl of soup. Alright quit reading this and put your name tag on your uniform. It’s almost time for shift change. . . retard!

94. DaBillsDaaahhhBills says: Dec 24, 2009 9:32 AM

P-E-T-A DEEZ NUTZ!

95. Favre On HGH says: Dec 24, 2009 10:05 AM

“1 human life is worth more then a million dogs”
    __________
    A dog’s life is also worth 18 months – 5 years. Thanks to Vick dogfighting and animal cruelty penalties have become stiffer.

96. Kenneth says: Dec 24, 2009 10:13 AM

PETA can just blow me, They are nothing more than a bunch of vegan psychos anyway. They come from a long line of vegans anyway like Hitler and Stalin .