SportingNews.com: Shed no tears for "hard working" coaches

While watching ESPN’s The Sports Reporters on Sunday morning, during that brief moment in history when Florida coach Urban Meyer actually was stepping down as coach of the Gators, I was shocked by the collective hand-wringing regarding the plight of our the poor, overworked football coaches in America.

One of the panelists even suggested that the NCAA should restrict the number of hours that football coaches spend on the job, a rule that would be impossible to enforce given the ability of these men to take their playbooks and game films, you know, home.

So for our midweek offering at SportingNews.com, we delve into the ludicrous notion that pro and college football coaches martyr themselves for our entertainment.

Since only football coaches work hard, the rest of you will have plenty of time to read it right here.

Permalink 25 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Features, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
25 Responses to “SportingNews.com: Shed no tears for "hard working" coaches”
  1. packerfanfornot4life says: Dec 29, 2009 10:00 AM

I agree!!!!! If that logic applied to everyone then farmers should only be allowed to work 18 hour days.
    And steel mill workers and well most industrial jobs that pay a crap load less head coaching a game!!

2. chunky soupy sales says: Dec 29, 2009 10:01 AM

From the article:
    “If any of them want to see what hard work really is, have them visit a coal mine or a steel mill or, even better, a real battlefield. You know, the kind without lines or logos painted on it.”
    Speaking of coal mines, I worked for 13 years at a coal fired power plant. Some days we would spend 12+ hours a day shoveling up a coal spill when a belt decided to take a dump. In the winter the coal would freeze up in the chutes and you would have to fight that all day. It was ridiculously hard work and they wanted it done yesterday because time is money when chutes are shut down.
    Anyway back when T O played in the Super Bowl after breaking his ankle people were bragging on his toughness. I had to remind them of a 60+ year old co worker of mine, actually my boss and the best boss anyone has ever had, who broke his ankle and was back at work the next day, shoveling that coal because he would not ask his men to do anything he would not do.
    So screw all you millionaire martyrs. If it wasn’t for guys like Thomas Hamlett, you would not have electricity to watch the games you coach.

3. HarrisonHits says: Dec 29, 2009 10:01 AM

Please, college and pro coaches are paid huge salaries and they should damn well have to work their asses off for them.
    If they don’t want the hours and pressure go coach high school or pop warner and work a real job.

4. mooremi9 says: Dec 29, 2009 10:04 AM

Way to keep things in perspective Florio.
    Most men would kill not to have to go home to a nagging wife and screaming kids. They get paid to do it

5. KUALUM15 says: Dec 29, 2009 10:05 AM

Football Coaches are some of the hardest working people. Yes, it is a game but they pour there heart and soul into it at the expense of personal and family time. Most coaches in America don’t make the big bucks to help supplement that time loss. And how would you like to be a first year coach putting in 60 to 80 hours a week on a stipend or small salaries. Think about those issues before you throw your weight around.

6. reddog9 says: Dec 29, 2009 10:11 AM

Florio – What did you expect a group of liberal sports reporters to do – come up with a commonsense solution? Listening to Lupica, Ryan and those other libtards became so nauseating that I finally stopped! Their constant liberal blubbering is just tooo much for any red blooded American male!

7. Patsfan1776 says: Dec 29, 2009 10:19 AM

If it takes you 60-80hrs of work to coach a team that finishes the season below .500 then maybe you’re not smart enough to be a coach.
    Sometimes circumstances dicate long hours but if these coaches are working long hours it is because they are not working smarter. Technology is better and faster for studying film and the coaching staffs are huge. Look at the number of coaches in the booths and on the sidelines.

8. MikeF says: Dec 29, 2009 10:30 AM

@ chunky soupy sales
    5/5

9. orangeandbrown85 says: Dec 29, 2009 10:33 AM

Very well done, and quite true. Despite all the pressures for success, sports is simply a branch of the entertainment business. Most anyone would happily retire on what most of these big-school or pro coaches make in a year. And these coaches get paid to be big kids and live in the world of a game.
    @KUALUM15-you, sir, are an assclown. While there are indeed some small-school coaches who don’t make huge bucks, they are well compensated for their relatively unimportant work.

10. KingJoe! says: Dec 29, 2009 10:40 AM

Just a terrible terrible out of touch opinion. Lets work on the homeless, kids who cant afford college and those coal miners working under harsh conditions first.

11. bednarik60 says: Dec 29, 2009 10:40 AM

These coaches put in more hours. That’s a fact. These coaches get paid multi-million dollar salaries. That’s a fact. There should be no griping. They knew what the job and huge salary entailed. Good article Florio.

12. bspot says: Dec 29, 2009 10:44 AM

OandB85 – you are clueless. How many “big time” colleges are there? Few. Do you realize that even at manyD1 colleges the assistants (TE coach for example) is less than $100k/year?
    I’m in no way saying that a lot of coaches are poor, just not nearly as many Scrooge McDucks that you may think are out there.
    Big time HC’s – yes – like big time CEO’s – they’re working for less than $20/hour more often than not.

13. gopher says: Dec 29, 2009 10:45 AM

I see that with Coach Meyer his faith and family now come in second or third place> I can believe that he told Florida that if you give me a raise like Mack Brown in Texas my stress would go away.

14. Hap says: Dec 29, 2009 10:56 AM

Flo, just wanted to take a minute from screwin- off so I could respond to your piece on coaches. Although I’m not sure all coaches put in Gruden-like hours, I’m sure they are under immense pressure. I’d say that coaching is probably the occupation with the highest turnover rate. That’s the scary part.

15. bspot says: Dec 29, 2009 11:07 AM

Clarification – I’m saying that big time HC’s make huge bucks, but the majority of coaches in college make

16. ZombieRevolution says: Dec 29, 2009 11:48 AM

While watching ESPN’s The Sports Reporters…I was shocked by the collective hand-wringing…”
    *Cough* *Cough* *Maunfactured Story* *Cough* *Cough**Again* *Cough*

17. StephenJonesPlease says: Dec 29, 2009 12:01 PM

Coal miners, truck drivers, farmers, etc.. take these careers because they have few options.
    Coaches are in it for the glory. Pure and simple. Stop giving them and the hours they work the same credit that other long houred careers require.
    Professional type careers are often held by people who could pursue anything they want. But they chose the path to the quickest exposure and the widest glory.
    Most of us (those who have a job) work at least 50-60 hours a week because it is what our job requires, and most receive ZERO glory. Stop elevating egos. These are people who chose to be in the spotlight.

18. straverse says: Dec 29, 2009 12:02 PM

Good article.
    That said, I love looking at the user ratings for your Sporting News articles. Most everyone hates you. It’s hilarious.

19. CliveRush says: Dec 29, 2009 12:03 PM

The case of Steve Spurrier as a failed NFL coach verus his college day is a contrast in the work hours needed at the pro level. The Redskin coaches would lock players out of the facility and go play golf for the afternoon. This was a practice they were used to doing. The NFL coach works all year, round the clock all week. The college coach is restricted by the NCAA. When Tom Coughlin coached at Boston College he was there at 5 in the morning every day. This habit came from working for the NY Giants under the Tuna. Is it any wonder he is so tight.

20. Krow says: Dec 29, 2009 12:09 PM

How tough can it be if Joe Paterno is still doing it?

21. footballisking says: Dec 29, 2009 12:30 PM

Congrats you know that by writing this you burned many bridges which means less inside stories!!!!!!

22. Marty says: Dec 29, 2009 12:31 PM

Yea, if they “work” 15 to 20 hours, are you telling me they arnt including the time they eat all that pizza and get fat, or for the in shape coaches- dotn they work out with the players sometimes?
    Ive seen these film rooms, its like sitting back and watching a movie, I work harder playing Madden Football

23. Chapnasty2 says: Dec 29, 2009 8:30 PM

Smartest thing you have ever written. The same can be said about the actual athletes playing the game that complain about stress. They get played to do something they love and they get paid to have fun. 98% of us get paid doing something that pays the bills and takes care of our families.

24. texasPHINSfan says: Dec 30, 2009 2:00 PM

Don’t know why anyone would attack the coaches themselves, they are not crying “woe is me”…. The media is.
    The media creates the drama, spreads it, and feeds it. I don’t remember any college coaches coming out and asking for pity.

25. Big Tex says: Dec 31, 2009 6:48 PM

I’ve spent the last few years running commercial remodel projects on a nationwide basis. My rsponsibilities typically included budgets in excess of 7 figures, a work force which would sometimes exceed 100 men, a work week that averaged 12 to 16 hours a day/ 7 days a week, and 45+ weeks a year on the road. I’ve been in the hospital 3 times in the last four years due to chest pains. I have a heart attack signature on my EKG. I also have an aortic anuerysm.
    Bottom line; plenty of people have demanding jobs. I knew what I signed up for. I was never a victim. I was a volunteer.