Brees on the doorstep of a record

Chris Johnson isn’t the only NFL player chasing some history this week.

For the second straight year, Drew Brees has a chance to set a NFL record during the final week of the season.  Last season Brees came up just short of breaking Dan Marino’s single-season yardage record.

If Brees is accurate against the Panthers, he can set the NFL record for completion percentage.  Brees knows the record — 70.55% by Ken Anderson in 1982 — down to the decimal point.  Brees is currently sitting at 70.62%.

“I know it because when I was a rookie quarterback in San Diego, I
looked up all the records,” Brees said. “I just wanted to know ‘em. And
so I knew ‘em all by heart there for a while.”

Brees told Mike Triplette of the New Orleans Times-Picayune that setting the mark would be a big deal to him.  Of course, ending the Saints two-game losing streak would be even bigger.

Neither accomplishment will be easy against a Panthers defense that is peaking late in the season.

Permalink 39 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Carolina Panthers, New Orleans Saints, Rumor Mill, Sprint Football Live - Rumors, Top Stories
39 Responses to “Brees on the doorstep of a record”
  1. Fire Ted says: Dec 31, 2009 7:58 PM

Cue PervyHarvin to talk about how much better than Brees Brett Favre is.

2. rjgreen3 says: Dec 31, 2009 8:03 PM

the most underated/overlooked qb in the league

3. INTENSEG says: Dec 31, 2009 8:08 PM

He will end up at 72% WHO DAT !!! GO SAINTS!

4. Furious George says: Dec 31, 2009 8:09 PM

el oh el at quarterbacks “breaking” records while playing in domes.

5. Hugified Wang says: Dec 31, 2009 8:10 PM

First!

6. PhillyHouse says: Dec 31, 2009 8:12 PM

It’s refreshing to hear a player admit they care about records. This record is especially important because passing percentage pretty much means efficiency for your offense. It’s especially impressive because Brees throws so many passes, and many of his throws are downfield tosses.
    I hope he gets the record….

7. iphoneimacredskins1 says: Dec 31, 2009 8:26 PM

8. AbeFreshly says: Dec 31, 2009 8:27 PM

He should pull himself out in the 3rd Q, whether he has the record or not. You never know. He might get injured…
    See what I just did there, Rosenthal?

9. iphoneimacredskins1 says: Dec 31, 2009 8:28 PM

who dat who dat

10. MrNatural says: Dec 31, 2009 8:28 PM

That and a dollar will get you a cup of coffee at Dennys.
    A SB ring however can be hocked for a year’s worth of Dennys Grand Slam breakfasts!

11. BradyGazelle says: Dec 31, 2009 8:32 PM

Spare record for a spare QB on a spare team. A perfect match!

12. Mark0226 says: Dec 31, 2009 8:37 PM

That may explain the high percentage short passes in the TB game that lead to a loss. Drew Brees maintains a high completion percentage even though he typically leads the league in 20+ and/or 40+ yard passes, but his stats for TB seemed odd, 32 of 37 for 258 yards. Not much yardage for that many passes. I wonder if we will see him air it out against Carolina or stay with the safe passes.

13. CanadianVikingFan says: Dec 31, 2009 8:38 PM

Drew Brees is just too damn good for anybody to match. The guy is almost perfect every game he plays. A defence has to be at its best to stop Brees, and when they are he is beatable. That is easier said than done..
    Good luck Breezy.

14. Pervy_Harvin says: Dec 31, 2009 8:42 PM

Fire Ted says:
    December 31, 2009 7:58 PM
    Cue PervyHarvin to talk about how much better than Brees Brett Favre is.
    ===================================
    Geez…trying to get my party on and my Fire Ted Douche Alert buzzer goes off! Couldn’t this wait til tomorrow?? Listen Baby New Year, Brees is a fine QB indeed. Comparing him to Favre at this point is ridiculous though. Brees has a long ways to go to be muttered in any sentence with Brett Favre.Time will tell.

15. .VoxVeritas says: Dec 31, 2009 8:43 PM

“the most underated/overlooked qb in the league”
    Overrated and overlooked? 4 time Pro Bowler, 2008 OPOY, Walter Payton Man of the Year, NFL Comeback Player of the Year… the guy is anything but underrated and overlooked. He gets a lot of hype for a guy that has exactly one more playoff win than Tony Romo.

16. Fire Ted says: Dec 31, 2009 9:22 PM

Pervy, you prove my point for me. As for comparing him to Favre at this point, I would absolutely take Brees at this point over Favre, right along with Manning, Rivers, Rodgers, Matt Ryan, and Matt Schaub to name a few. Don’t get me wrong, I am a Packers fan after all, but I am also a realist. Favre is a solid QB…his numbers this year, for the most part, came against inferior teams….including really bad teams they lost to..,he is nowhere near the top of the league at this point and worse than anything he proved once again that he feels he is bigger than the team with his little love spat with Childress when they got rolled by another losing team…right before getting rolled by the Bears.

17. virtualplague says: Dec 31, 2009 9:23 PM

Kind of strange that the three best QBs in the league right now (Manning, Favre and Brees) all play in Domes.
    Just saying.

18. Blue Horse Shoe says: Dec 31, 2009 9:34 PM

records / schmecords – just ask Bill Polian. You need only to be worried about playoffs!!!
    Really Good Luck Drew, for Peytons’ sake I hope you break it and even go to the SB

19. SaintsBucsPanthersSUKK says: Dec 31, 2009 9:42 PM

If Brees misses the record & after the game he feels glum and forlorn he can just go to his loving mother for comfort and support…oh, wait. Never mind.

20. Pervy_Harvin says: Dec 31, 2009 9:43 PM

Fire Ted says:Favre is a solid QB…his numbers this year, for the most part, came against inferior teams
    ===================================
    You are correct!! 7tds 0 int vs the inferior Green Bay! Sure easy to pad stats playing you guys! You made Big ben looklike freakin Unitas! LOL
    Favre is no where at the top of the league right now?? 104.3 rating. 29td-7picks. He is having his best season of his HOF career!
    When comparing,I mean total body of work. Of course anyone would take Brees now,he is 30. Favre is on the way out. i’m talking about career comparison.Brees doesn’t even compare yet. Needs many great seasons. Some MVP’s ,A ring etc etc

21. 56lightsout56 says: Dec 31, 2009 9:47 PM

virtualplague says:
    December 31, 2009 9:23 PM
    Just saying.
    ————————–
    I think you would get a lot of arguments about those being the three best ;)

22. Ned Mark says: Dec 31, 2009 9:51 PM

No “Who Dey” could ever root for a “Who Dat” to break Kenny Anderson’s record. I like Brees, but I hope he ends up at a 70.54%.
    Sorry “Dats”

23. PerryMason says: Dec 31, 2009 10:07 PM

Manning, Brees and maybe Rivers I agree with. The rest have a long way to go before they can be compared to Favre.

24. East Bay Ray says: Dec 31, 2009 10:12 PM

The completion percentage record set by Ken Anderson in 1982? Wow, really? Any reader here who knew who held this record before reading this, please speak up now. Breaking it would be a “big deal”, Brees? Any other QB who wasn’t lionized by the media the way Brees is would be skewered for saying he even cared about this when his team is faltering down the stretch.

25. Captain says: Dec 31, 2009 10:18 PM

Chuck Norris can break a vinyl record by throwing it at your head from a mile away.

26. AR12isBetter says: Dec 31, 2009 10:52 PM

Deanna, oops, I mean Pervy_Harvin, does Brent actually allow you to be on the computer when you BOTH should be out drinking and popping vicodin?
    Happy New Year to the Favres, oops, I mean Pervy_Harvin
    IDIOT

27. NonYahooHotmailAcct says: Dec 31, 2009 11:02 PM

Just pull him after 3 handoffs and let Mark Brunell showcase himself for a 2010 starting job somewhere.

28. chunky soupy sales says: Dec 31, 2009 11:26 PM

Surely he sets some record for QB with thingie on face.

29. chunky soupy sales says: Dec 31, 2009 11:45 PM

“Pervy, you prove my point for me. As for comparing him to Favre at this point, I would absolutely take Brees at this point over Favre, right along with Manning, Rivers, Rodgers, Matt Ryan, and Matt Schaub to name a few.”
    HTF did Matt Ryans name even get on this list? I continue to be baffled by people putting this guy on any type of list of good to great QB’s.

30. artieblanksucsbigD says: Jan 1, 2010 12:34 AM

OR maybe “SaintsBucsPanthersSUKK” BREES CAN HANG OUT W/U since ur an expert on feeling glum and forlorn… “falcon” fan.

31. funtime42 says: Jan 1, 2010 12:39 AM

Lots of us Who Deys know Ken Anderson’s records – we spam email every sportswriter we know with lists when the HOF talk starts up every year. So far they’ve ignored us, but we have hope.
    And yes, we’re aware that it was a strike-shortened season – it still counts!

32. LightningLucci says: Jan 1, 2010 12:40 AM

@Marko:
    “Carolina practically gave him the Dan Marino record last year, but he chose not to take it. Carolina was playing 25 yards deep to avoid the TD, and he only needed about 17 yards, so it was within his grasp, but he chose to go for the TD and the win. This year, he may be going for the record, so he doesn’t miss another opportunity.”
    Was I watching a different game last year? I recall Brees needing a loooonng touchdown to win on the last play, but instead threw a medium pass just long enough to get the record…but missed.

33. prophet of the light says: Jan 1, 2010 1:56 AM

Drew Brees is the kind of football player I want on my team. He continues to amaze me.

34. bspurloc says: Jan 1, 2010 4:35 AM

Better Bench him and not Risk an injury!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Saints aren’t going anywhere though, they have no running backs, same as last year all knee injuries.

35. afiresnake says: Jan 1, 2010 7:16 AM

If he cares about such a meaningless record he is what he is – a meaningless player posting pimped stats.
    Sorry guys …

36. louisianafootballfan says: Jan 1, 2010 9:50 AM

At SaintsBucsPanthersSUKK
    What a piece of garbage you are. The guy’s mom died this season, and that’s a joke to you? Seriously, it’s football…keep it on the field.

37. philwauke says: Jan 1, 2010 10:54 AM

SaintsBucsPanthersSUKK says:
    December 31, 2009 9:42 PM
    Nice comment asshole… You know what they say about karma.

38. SaintsBucsPanthersSUKK says: Jan 1, 2010 1:03 PM

@artieblanksucsbigD
    Brees can’t hang wit’ me, he’d fall asleep.
    @louisianafootballfan
    There are some folk out there (ie investors) pleased she’s no longer on this mortal coil. Bet U were a whiner a few weeks back on Florio’s a$$ for reporting on her cause of death. It’s news, live with it. Karma always takes root, like weeds in the spring, which leads me to…
    @philwauke
    I know about karma, but not “of” it. Immune to it. Not like NE though.

39. SaintsBucsPanthersSUKK says: Jan 2, 2010 7:52 PM