McCray regrets Twitter remarks

After his DUI Tuesday, Saints defensive end Bobby McCray took to Twitter to call his arresting police officer a guy with a “Napoleon complex.”

Now he’s taking the next predictable step of explaining the outburst.

“I regret that my private messages were
unintentionally posted on Twitter,” McCray said, in a statement released from his publicist.
“I have respect for the men and women who serve the New
Orleans Police Department, and I never meant to convey
otherwise. My attorneys are now handling the matter, and I
have faith that the legal process will rectify the situation
in my favor.”

McCray has been aggressive professing his innocence, saying he was just driving with pizza. But his statement doesn’t make any sense.  By nature, statements on Twitter are public.  And there is no “unintentional” way to post them.

A few NFL players have learned the hard way that writing something on Twitter is the same as saying it to a reporter.

After briefly turning his Twitter account private, McCray has responded logically in one manner.  It appears he’s deleted the account.

Permalink 20 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: New Orleans Saints, Rumor Mill, Sprint Football Live - Rumors, Top Stories
20 Responses to “McCray regrets Twitter remarks”
  1. Bill Cowher's Chin says: Dec 31, 2009 11:23 AM

Instead of getting arrested for suspicion of DUI, and then tweeting, and then regretting your tweet, how about: you are at home, sleeping, at 4 AM, instead of driving around while your girlfriend “feeds you pizza” while you are exceeding the speed limit by 20 miles per hour…….

2. JaggedMark says: Dec 31, 2009 11:27 AM

How do you unintentionally post something?

3. Seeryer says: Dec 31, 2009 11:27 AM

The question that needs to be asked is why does Bobby McCray have a Twitter account and who the hell would follow it? A 7th round draft pick and a back up in the NFL. Wow, I wonder what he is doing today, better go check his Twitter account. On second thought maybe I should kill myself instead.

4. bigbolt says: Dec 31, 2009 11:36 AM

Another idiot athlete who can’t handle twitter.

5. Marty says: Dec 31, 2009 11:40 AM

I cant beleive you all dont know this, but, you CAN send Direct Messesges on Twitter to someone else, and yes, you CAN send it to everyone by mistake.

6. Nobe says: Dec 31, 2009 11:44 AM

Legitimate legal question: from this idiot’s remarks, are we to infer that the evidence that will be offered by the arresting officer to support the charge of DUI will be that he was “driving with pizza?”
    OR….was that why he was pulled over which led to his being administered a field sobriety test or blood alcohol test, which, in fact, led to the charge?
    I’d take his case if the former…maybe not so much the latter.
    Just another example of idot athletes not realizing the rules apply to them until it is too late and they are on the receiving end of a police camera mug shoot.

7. irishgary says: Dec 31, 2009 11:46 AM

“I regret that my private messages were unintentionally posted on Twitter,”
    Is this the same as being taken out of context?

8. HarrisonHits says: Dec 31, 2009 11:48 AM

What an idiot.
    You sign up for an account on a network specifically designed to broadcast messages publicly and then act like you didn’t think the messages would be broadcast to the public.
    Very believable.

9. TheBigOldDog says: Dec 31, 2009 11:50 AM

Maybe Obama will invite McCray and the arresting police officer over for a Beer in the backyard and work it all out.

10. AD4MVP says: Dec 31, 2009 11:54 AM

Driving with pizza?!?! Yes I am sure the officer gave you a DUI for driving with pizza. Better come up with a better excuse than that Bobby! Also, I don’t think the legal system is going to take to kindly to you publicly criticizing an officer…lol good luck
    Oh, and if you haven’t figured it out yet Twitter is not private, but of course you already knew that, just another worthless excuse.

11. TheBigOldDog says: Dec 31, 2009 11:55 AM

# bigbolt says: December 31, 2009 11:36 AM
    Another idiot athlete who can’t handle twitter.
    ****
    The generation that fought WWII is often called America’s greatest generation.
    In contrast, I call this America’s Dumbest Generation based on how often they self-publish damaging things about themselves on the Internet – Facebook, MySpace, Twitter, YouTube, doesn’t matter. They can’t wait to do something stupid, illegal, immoral, unethical and/or embarrassing and publish on the Net for the whole world to see. Cops could watch every new video published on Youtube and probably make a dozen arrests a day….

12. Richm2256 says: Dec 31, 2009 12:04 PM

Marty says:
    ————————————————
    Yeah, except for the fact this his “tweet” (God, I hate that word!) reads exactly like one he wanted the public to see.
    Another case of a moron jock with more money than brains, posting “off the hip” without taking even a second to ask themselves “is this a smart thing for a semi-public figure to be saying?”.
    I can’t for the life of me understand why any athlete needs a Twitter account. Nothing good comes out of that. Too caught up in themselves.

13. FireJerryJones says: Dec 31, 2009 12:57 PM

Looks like he was TWI ….and maybe with pizza…
    (Tweeting while intoxicated)
    Really. Who is this guy?

14. hay1111 says: Dec 31, 2009 2:26 PM

“I have respect for the men and women who serve the New Orleans Police Department”
    He’d be one of the few. Us law abiding citizens of New Orleans have little respect for this corrupt police department. I tend to believe McCray on this one.

15. Patsfan1776 says: Dec 31, 2009 2:48 PM

His new defense will need to be, I was sober when driving with pizza but I was totally hammered drunk while I was tweeting.

16. jj jones says: Dec 31, 2009 2:57 PM

He must have taken lessons on how to handle the police from Khalif Barnes and Brian Williams while he was in Jacksonville.

17. SaintsBucsPanthersSUKK says: Dec 31, 2009 7:04 PM

“Can you fly, Bobby?” – Clarence Boddicker, Robocop (1987)

18. SaintsBucsPanthersSUKK says: Dec 31, 2009 9:48 PM

’bout time. Punka$$e$ at the controls. Betta not powuh trip ‘dis way any mo’ boi. U on my lyst. Got my eyez on U. *^*
    Happy New Year!

19. SaintsBucsPanthersSUKK says: Jan 1, 2010 11:08 AM

I GOTS THE TRIPLE SHOT OF LOVE. GO FLORIDA STATE!

20. SaintsBucsPanthersSUKK says: Jan 2, 2010 7:49 PM