Marshall responds to benching

We weren’t the only ones surprised by Brandon Marshall’s benching Friday.

Marshall reportedly was unaware that coach Josh McDaniels was sitting him for a “coach’s decision” concerning Marshall’s accountability.

“I don’t think coach ever played in the NFL, so for my hamstring to be feeling the way it felt, it’s tough for me to go out there and expect to play at a high level,” Marshall said.

Marshall defended his toughness in comments distributed by the Denver Post.

“I played last year with a tear in my hip, so I don’t think my toughness is in question here. I just have got to do my best to get back to 100 percent, and hopefully things fall into place where it should be and hopefully we’ll get into the playoffs and I’ll be there with my teammates.”

Marshall seems to be missing the point. McDaniels seems upset with Marshall’s preparation and attitude more than his availability. McDaniels is clearly sending a message to the rest of the team. The coach used the word “indifference” as something that would not be tolerated.

“We’re all accountable to give our very best effort,” McDaniels said.  “That’s what this is about. . . . The guys that are going to play hard and do what we asked them to do and fight through adversity and be committed to one another, that’s the group [we'll play].”

Whether Denver’s season ends Sunday or not, it’s hard not to wonder if Marshall will be part of that group again under McDaniels.

Or if this is just another painful lesson in the education of Brandon Marshall.

Permalink 26 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Denver Broncos, Kansas City Chiefs, Rumor Mill, Sprint Football Live - Rumors, Top Stories
26 Responses to “Marshall responds to benching”
  1. redsquare says: Jan 1, 2010 2:24 PM

Don’t know the details of the situation, of course, but what a note for the coach to end the season on. Especially considering how productive Marshall has been. After the Eagles game, shouldn’t the defense be benched, too?

2. soflaeagle says: Jan 1, 2010 2:25 PM

What a cluster fudge

3. grandavenue says: Jan 1, 2010 2:27 PM

4. Jag4Life says: Jan 1, 2010 2:49 PM

Breaking News…..Brandon Marshall has just been traded to The Jaguars. Pair him with Mike Sims-Walker, Jax has a top recieving corp and are the #1 recieving team in the league…………alarm clock goes off.

5. East Bay Ray says: Jan 1, 2010 2:56 PM

# grandavenue says: January 1, 2010 2:27 PM
    “Marshall is on the verge of being of the games top WR’s. Hopefully he keep his head right, and keep his health in tact. Good to see he’s handling it well.”
    Huh? Handling it well? His head coach just implicitly accused him of indifference and not putting forth maximum effort. How is that “handling it well”?

6. milehiclown says: Jan 1, 2010 3:02 PM

Well, he didn’t “play in the NFL” but he did “WIN A BOAT LOAD OF SUPER BOWLS” as a coach so that must count for something, right?
    And didn’t Boldin have his JAW broken and return shortly after?

7. FireJerryJones says: Jan 1, 2010 3:08 PM

Franchise tag, then trade him.

8. Phil says: Jan 1, 2010 3:10 PM

milehiclown says: January 1, 2010 3:02 PM
    “Marshall isn’t that good–a FIFTH of his catches came in one game (which we LOST). I just want a 1 and 3 for his bum ass.”
    You just finished saying he isn’t that good. To get a 1st and 3rd rounder from him, means, he’s good! Make up your mind.

9. Cahill says: Jan 1, 2010 3:27 PM

Doesn’t mean we cant rip someone off for a 1 and 3

10. StevieMo says: Jan 1, 2010 3:28 PM

milehiclown: No Super Bowls without video aids. They get no credit for SB wins in my book. They just cheated their way to the top, haven’t won a ring since and their record keeps getting worse…

11. HarrisonHits says: Jan 1, 2010 3:39 PM

“Franchise tag, then trade him.”
    If there’s no new CBA they won’t need to tag him. He’ll be an RFA and the way he’s acting it seems unlikely Denver will give him a new contract for next year.
    They will give him the top level RFA offer and make him play out his contract or else let some other team pay him and laugh all the way to the draft with the 1st and 3rd they’ll get for not matching the other team’s offer.

12. TheWizard says: Jan 1, 2010 3:55 PM

They get no credit for SB wins in my book
    Fortunately, your opinion is meaningless.
    First year after being punished by the league, 16-0 record.
    They got better.
    Dumbass.

13. Brewster says: Jan 1, 2010 4:20 PM

milehiclown says: January 1, 2010 3:02 PM
    And didn’t Boldin have his JAW broken and return shortly after?
    _____________________
    Well, well, well! the Clown resurfaces with more of his Donkey insight. Where have you been for the past 6 or so weeks while your Donks have been in self destruct mode? You haven’t had much to say, kinda like a Vox disappearing act when the Cowboys get their asses kicked.
    McDaniels, didn’t win a boat load of Super Bowls, he just happened to be on the coaching staff of a team with a perennial winning record, good players and a strong Head Coach. If you haven’t noticed the Patriots OC position seems to be interchangeable.
    You’re right about Boldin, he is a tough player and a good WR, about on the same level as Marshall.
    You’re last comment about Marshall not being good is laughable. As others have pointed out if he’s not good why should the Broncos get a 1st and a 3rd draft pick for him? And if they did what guarantee do Broncos fans have that McDumbass & Xanders wouldn’t just pick up another Alphonso Smith or Richard Quinn with those picks? Or fall in love with another Knowshon Moreno type then work him to death in his rookie year.
    Marshall is one of the top 10 WR’s in the league, he will eventually get paid like one but most likely for another team.
    When he goes the Broncos offense will be far less effective without him as he is their best offensive threat.
    Oh, and by the way you lost that game when Marshall had 21 catches because of the Head Coach’s play calling not Marshall’s effort.

14. Lombardi 6 says: Jan 1, 2010 4:39 PM

Douchebag NFL wide receiver #237…

15. mfclock says: Jan 1, 2010 4:43 PM

McDummy, can you please bench yourself as offensive coordinator? Thanks.

16. milehiclown says: Jan 1, 2010 5:30 PM

Ummm, “Brewster”–the fact that you have been waiting around for me to comment is a *little* embarrassing. For you. Do you seriously have nothing better to do?
    @ Phil: just because someone DOES give us a 1/3 doesn’t mean he is good. There is a laundry list of teams that over pay for players: Bear, Redskins, Raiders, etc.

17. KingJoe! says: Jan 1, 2010 6:13 PM

It only matters cause they may not make the playoffs. When Denver was 6-0 McDaniels was a genius, now they have gone the way the NY Giants, he is a control freak once again.

18. riscifiguy says: Jan 1, 2010 6:23 PM

Meet me in the stadium parking lot SteveMo.
    And when you wake up, go ask some former coaches who have nothing to lose like Gruden, Ditka, and Mariucci what really goes on and who is doing what. One damn fool cameraman was recognized by a former ass-sis-tent coach (Mangeni).
    This stuff and more goes on at every level from Pop Warner, to High School, to College, to the NFL and I get weary of fantasy leauge know nothings (who have obviously never held a clipboard on the sidelines) , like SteveMO, mouthing off in their juvenile like frustrations.

19. sigma1575 says: Jan 1, 2010 6:43 PM

I guess someone should care to enlighten that moron “thewizard” that 16-0 is meaningless without a SB win.
    18-1 proves video help was not allowed and THEY LOST!
    This is about McDaniels getting credit for Pats offence in SB wins.
    Then where was “5-6 not good enough” Charlie before he took ND job. Was that not hs job as OC?
    Josh was NOT in charge of anything except keeping the ball rolling when Charlie left. And his work in THAT SB (18-1, moron) is proof.
    Get some facts before you brainlessly call someone out.

20. Ravenmaniac says: Jan 1, 2010 7:14 PM

Lombardi6…what number is hines ward on your douchebag list???
    I do not recall Marshall calling any of his teammates out…
    Marshall could be one of the best receivers in this league. Guys like this drive me crazy…

21. quantum50 says: Jan 1, 2010 7:32 PM

Marshall has proven his toughness. The Coach is mad he can’t force him to play hurt. Why? Because the Coach was arrogant after a good start to the season. He was given high praise and then reality set in, the Broncos are not as good as he thought. Let’s not forget they were not picked to make the playoffs at the beginning of the season. The Coach is now playing the blame game. Nothing like pointed the finger at someone who has controversy in his past. Makes everything the Coach says seem believable when really he’s deflecting responsibility for the season’s result. The coach had no problem with Marshall’s performance when he was catching all those passes recently.

22. quantum50 says: Jan 1, 2010 7:41 PM

milehiclown doesn’t know the difference between having a broken jaw and a hamstring injury.

23. quantum50 says: Jan 1, 2010 7:43 PM

24. Brewster says: Jan 1, 2010 9:47 PM

milehiclown says: January 1, 2010 5:30 PM
    Ummm, “Brewster”–the fact that you have been waiting around for me to comment is a little embarrassing. For you. Do you seriously have nothing better to do?
    _______________
    Actually I don’t have a lot of time restraints and have the time and resources to do pretty much as I please so I spend an inordinate amount of time on this website during football season because I find it enjoyable.
    In doing so I notice people who post frequently, as you seemed to do during the early part of the season. While I didn’t necessarily agree with many of your posts I found them interesting and challenged some. When they abruptly stopped during the Broncos losing streak, I noticed. Just as I would notice if VonClausewitz stopped posting his insightful and generally cogent comments, or if Vox Veritas stopped posting his ridiculous Cowboys homer comments and became an overnight Redskins fan.
    It’s all fun if you have the time, and I appreciate the fact that Florio affords us the opportunity.
    So, even though I don’t seem to be on the same wavelength as you on Broncos player assessments it’s good to have you back expressing your thoughts. It gives me something to rebut.

25. Not A Real Fan says: Jan 1, 2010 10:46 PM

Let me guess Broncos fans?
    …”Good riddance”
    …”The Broncos are better off with *Insert name of whatever stiff McDaniels gets in trade* and *Insert name of 3rd round player that McDaniels drafts with 1st round pick that he gets in trade* anyway”
    …”Marshall/Scheffler isn’t that good anyway”
    … “*Stiff/3rd round player* fit the system better anyway”
    …”This is all Mike Shanahan’s fault”?

26. Tinbender says: Jan 2, 2010 10:59 AM

In another article Mc Douchbag said “this may have been tolorated before I got here but not now”. So he’s not only calling out his pro bowl recevier, he’s calling out Mike Shannahan. Who are you Mc Douchbag to be calling out Shannahan and what have you ever done?
    STFU Mc Douchbag.