Richmond FOX affiliate passes on Redskins game

As further evidence of the depths to which the Washington Redskins have sunk, a reader in the Richmond area has advised us that the local FOX affiliate has announced that it will not be airing Sunday’s game between the Redskins and the Chargers.

The FOX Richmond web site confirms that, at 4:15 p.m. ET on Sunday, the game between the Eagles and the Cowboys will be televised in lieu of the Redskins game.

With Washington roughly 100 miles from Richmond, the 58th-largest television market in the country, Redskins games usually are broadcast there.

Making the slap in the local team’s face even sharper is the fact that FOX affiliate in Richmond has opted instead to show a game involving two of the Redskins’ biggest rivals.

Permalink 43 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Dallas Cowboys, Philadelphia Eagles, Rumor Mill, San Diego Chargers, Sprint Football Live - Rumors, Top Stories, Washington Redskins
43 Responses to “Richmond FOX affiliate passes on Redskins game”
  1. FunkFootball.Blogspot.com says: Jan 2, 2010 7:50 PM

2. grimsleeper78 says: Jan 2, 2010 7:51 PM

Oh, the humanity!!

3. Hugified Wang says: Jan 2, 2010 7:52 PM

The Redskins just got Deuced on.

4. thunderdog says: Jan 2, 2010 7:55 PM

“Redskins games usually are broadcast there.”
    No, Redskins game are “always” broadcast here. First time in at least 20 years that the Skins haven’t been on in Richmond.
    They have scheduled other games instead of the Redskins a few times but public outcry always has forced them to change it back to the Skins.
    This time around, no outcry. Crickets.
    The Redskins have been irrelevant nationally for a while. Now they’re become irrelevant a stone’s throw from where they play.

5. VASeahawk says: Jan 2, 2010 7:59 PM

They ran a promo during football game yesterday saying that people in the area contacted the station and wanted to see the “best game” so they are showing the Eagles-n-Girls game.

6. Steely185 says: Jan 2, 2010 8:00 PM

Sad but true, at least it’s only on more game until the next change. I’ll have to go to the bar to watch the local game. Guess I know what it feels like to live in Jacksonville or Detroit now.

7. Big_McLargeHuge says: Jan 2, 2010 8:01 PM

Who could blame them… I’ve had my fill Jim Zorn staring helplessly into space.

8. footballisfun says: Jan 2, 2010 8:02 PM

Its really not that big of a deal at this point in the season. I wish more stations were smart about things like this. The Eagles v. Cowboys game is for the division while the Redskins game is nothing.

9. va4daboys says: Jan 2, 2010 8:04 PM

After my 40 plus years in Richmond a local station is letting us watch a game that matters, instead of the “Redskins game “which is always on no matter what their record is.

10. HappyBunny says: Jan 2, 2010 8:05 PM

Just giving the people what they want…
    You’re welcome.

11. JoeSixPack says: Jan 2, 2010 8:07 PM

Sounds like a network affiliate is sending a pretty loud message to the owner that it’s time for a new coach…
    It’s probably worth it to them to suck it up and lose limited revenue on this game if they can help play a role in getting a new coach and breathing life into a depressed fan base

12. hotchick says: Jan 2, 2010 8:07 PM

It would be more of a slap if they opted NOT to show the game between their biggest rivals. The rivals are who the fans would be most familiar with. The rivals are actually playing in a meaningful game. The slap would be if the opted to show TB/ATL or something like that.
    If a team has a bye week, that market typically gets a game involving a divisional foe. So no slap here at all.
    This goes back to all the crying about teams like the Lions being blacked out. How many times were the TV viewers “punished” by the Lions game being replaced by two teams who actually knew how to play the game?

13. Child_Please! says: Jan 2, 2010 8:12 PM

Dan Snyder is pathetic.
    Zero class, and he even ran Six Flags into bankruptcy

14. WildTurkey101 says: Jan 2, 2010 8:17 PM

I contacted my local Fox station the Roanoke-Lynchburg area to do the same,props to Richmond for doing it.I would rather watch C-SPAN than the Skins season finale,nothing much better than watching a vote on the House floor unfold. ;)

15. BrickSlingingSouthie says: Jan 2, 2010 8:20 PM

Meaningless game, makes sense to me.

16. THEpackersAREwhere? says: Jan 2, 2010 8:23 PM

I dont blame the Richmond Fox station at all. Why put a game on that a very limited group of people want to see when you can put a game on that is going to have a huge audience. I hate both the Eagles and Cowboys, and I am going to watch this game.

17. DanSnyder says: Jan 2, 2010 8:28 PM

They are doing the same thing here in Virginia Beach tomorrow. We currently hold the Redskins Beach Blitz every year and have been trying to get them to hold their training camp here as well. Then the local fox affiliate has decided not to even show the game? I know the game will probably be crappy but being a secondary market for the skins and having always shown their games for as long as I can remember, missing out on one of only 16 games a year no matter how bad they are still sucks. Plus it is probably the last game for alot of players and coaches on the Redskins that I will not get to see.

18. mad555 says: Jan 2, 2010 8:30 PM

Man, talk about pathetic. It’s one thing if your team is not shown because it has been blacked out, but to not show the local team because their divison rivals are playing in a more interesting game is worse than getting blown out 44-6 with the season on the line. Wouldn’t you say so cowblow girls?

19. DoomsDayD75 says: Jan 2, 2010 8:30 PM

I think most Redskins fans would prefer to watch Eagles-Cowboys instead of watching the ‘Skins lose to the Chargers 2nd stringers.

20. TheDPR says: Jan 2, 2010 8:30 PM

You would be surprised at the dynamics for a NFC East fan. Most of us hate the enemy every bit as much as love our team. I’m an Eagles fan and if the situation was reversed, I’d rather watch the Skins/Cowboys than a meaningless Eagles game with a lame duck coach jockeying for draft position. I would think Skins fans in Richmond would be fine with watching Eagles/Cowboys this week after the season they’ve had to endure.

21. GBP says: Jan 2, 2010 8:33 PM

Damn!!!

22. PurpleNGold says: Jan 2, 2010 8:44 PM

most people know this -
    Birds and Boys are the shizzle
    Skins game means nothing

23. vcufan01 says: Jan 2, 2010 8:46 PM

A huge favor to football fans in Richmond….the Redskins are never bumped for any game

24. wwwmattcom says: Jan 2, 2010 9:16 PM

This would not happen in Buffalo……..

25. slappy says: Jan 2, 2010 9:35 PM

im in richmond and im all for this. skins are horrible. who wants to see a worthless game anyway.
    ps.. hey snyder i got food poisioning at your johnny rockets last year. thanks for nothing.

26. ActionJackson22 says: Jan 2, 2010 9:37 PM

It would never happen in Buffalo. There are real football fans up here…..

27. Big J says: Jan 2, 2010 9:38 PM

Who cares?

28. DanSnyder says: Jan 2, 2010 9:51 PM

“# wwwmattcom says: January 2, 2010 9:16 PM
    This would not happen in Buffalo……..”
    That’s Buffalo. This is happening to alot of the Redskins secondary markets, NOT DC. Living in Hampton Roads my whole life I have never seen them scratch a game until now. I also doubt this would happen if there wasn’t a meaningful divisional game on.
    This is the first time in my 25 years of life that I will be forced to go to a bar and watch my team play. It’s a big deal around here, we are 4 hours away from DC yet are still mainly redskins fans. If not for the huge military presence there would be a much higher % of skins fans. The redskins are #1 around here but I see almost as many steeler and cowboys fans. In fact of all my main friends I don’t have one that is a Redskins fan while two are Cowboys and two are steelers fans.
    I also cannot deny the fact that Redskins are slow losing their fanbase. Not that long ago both the carolina and maryland areas were redskins territory. Now fans in those areas have slowly trickled to become raven and panther fans due to their success over the past decade as well as the redskins lack of.

29. Bill Cowher's Chin says: Jan 2, 2010 10:08 PM

“The redskins are #1 around here but I see almost as many steeler and cowboys fans. In fact of all my main friends I don’t have one that is a Redskins fan while two are Cowboys and two are steelers fans.”
    ________________________________
    That isnt really all that uncommon, when you consider that the two biggest bandwagon fan bases are the Cowboys and Steelers. Those friends are probably Yankees fans too, LMFAO

30. TimTheEnchanter says: Jan 2, 2010 10:15 PM

I’m surprised season ticket holders aren’t trying to give their tickets back to the team in the hopes of getting it blacked out in DC.

31. Branephood says: Jan 2, 2010 10:16 PM

I’ve lived in Richmond my entire life and I’ve never seen this happen before and I couldn’t be more thrilled. Too many times we’ve been stuck watching this worthless franchise while meaningful games are being played for the other 70-80% of the country. It’s about damn time and hopefully this trend will continue in the future. FAIL!

32. VASeahawk says: Jan 2, 2010 10:21 PM

ActionJAckson-maybe not IN Buffalo, but certainly in Rochester. Hated nearly every thing about Buffalo while I was going to School there… Trafalmadore Cafe and Central Park Grill excepted.

33. mvb2328 says: Jan 2, 2010 10:30 PM

this is b.s… im in richmond and i always watch the skins game no matter how crappy they are… it pisses me off… i dont care how much a d!ck the owner is i want to watch the game… all these people that are saying “good, the game shouldnt be broadcasted” just annoys me…

34. stnmmc says: Jan 2, 2010 10:36 PM

# PurpleNGold says: January 2, 2010 8:44 PM
    most people know this -
    Birds and Boys are the shizzle
    Skins game means nothing
    ________________________________
    I believe, sir, you are the only person on the planet still using the term “shizzle”. Congratulations.

35. Channel124 says: Jan 2, 2010 11:24 PM

Nothing to see here…lifelong Skins fan living in Richmond and would rather watch PHL-DAL b/c it is the last game of the year and their game means something and the Redskins game does not. Any other weekend and you’ve got a story. Toolio loves anything anti-skins.

36. Favre On HGH says: Jan 3, 2010 12:14 AM

37. gibbs4life says: Jan 3, 2010 1:20 AM

I didn’t even know Richmond got football games. Who cares?

38. Raiderfankirk says: Jan 3, 2010 1:48 AM

Srry skins suck

39. antneejay2 says: Jan 3, 2010 7:00 AM

JoeSixPack says:
    January 2, 2010 8:07 PM
    The network affiliate should be sending a pretty loud message to the owner that it’s time for a new owner.

40. tatum32 says: Jan 3, 2010 7:48 AM

“Is this really that rare? I live in Orange County, California, and the local affiliates pass on the Chargers, who are roughly 70 to 90 miles south (depending where in the county you live), for more than half the regular season (depending on how good the match up is, of course).”
    Thats because SoCal is RAIDER COUNTRY.
    Always has been , always will be. Ive got relatives down there, ive been there countless times following Stanford-USC, Cal-USC, and when the Raiders played down there. Ive seen Raider themed SUVs, low riders, vans, caddys. Ive yet to see an Eddie Bauer, Charger themed Explorer. Most of them bitch that Charger games are shown in lieu of Raider games.

41. Skinsfan says: Jan 3, 2010 9:55 AM

I have not missed a game in 20 years this is BS most of the dallas fans have the NFL package. I called the #2 guy at WRLH Fox Richmond his cell #804-370-6600 Mike Dunlap No loyalty there.

42. Skinsfan says: Jan 3, 2010 10:08 AM

Complain to #2 guy at Fox Richmond Mike Dulap cell #804-370-6600 got it off there web site

43. Jahsc06 says: Jan 3, 2010 11:55 AM

Well thanks for the cell phone post because Fox 35 took his cell number down and just gave extensions to their land lines.