Report: Brady has three broken ribs

On CBS Sunday, Charlie Casserly reported what a lot of people have suspected over the last month: Tom Brady has been playing through broken ribs.

According to the Boston Globe, Casserly said Brady has three broken ribs.  The injuries were believed to have occurred in Week Thirteen against the Dolphins.

UPDATE: Shalise Manza Young of the Providence Journal reports Brady actually broke the ribs in the preseason against Washington.  Then Brady aggravated the injury against the Jets in Week Two.

The injuries obviously have had a long time to heal and Brady played one of his best games last week against the Jaguars. We’ll see if Bill Belichick takes Brady out early Sunday as a precaution.

The Patriots sat a number of starters because of injury precaution.

Permalink 17 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Houston Texans, Injuries, New England Patriots, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
17 Responses to “Report: Brady has three broken ribs”
  1. GhostofFlorioPast says: Jan 3, 2010 12:51 PM

Obviously not a Florio post – no bleating about the injury reports.

2. InBBWeTrust says: Jan 3, 2010 12:53 PM

I can’t wait to hera what all the Jests D-b@gas have to say about this. You know since they are constantly calling Brady a P-ssy. Intersanchez couldn’t even play with a minor knee injury!

3. patsfanlisa says: Jan 3, 2010 12:54 PM

Sure gives a reason why he was off the first half of the season.

4. Tenntuxx says: Jan 3, 2010 12:55 PM

So is BRADY special??? If it were any other team and this were just getting announced, there would be all kinds of investigations and allegations by the league (Favre/Jets)! C’Mon Son!

5. Area 51 says: Jan 3, 2010 1:22 PM

Here we go, Welker is hurt and it doesn’t look good. Most important guy on the team in my estimation.

6. calabash says: Jan 3, 2010 1:23 PM

Welker is done. Didn’t look good at all. Maybe they should’ve pulled an Indy and rested the stars?

7. TheBigOldDog says: Jan 3, 2010 1:30 PM

Thanks Mike.

8. Ken1313 says: Jan 3, 2010 1:40 PM

It definitely explains Brady’s horrible start to the season….and shows his toughness…..and really makes all those Brady haters who post their stupid comments…look stupid

9. danlinker says: Jan 3, 2010 1:42 PM

Oh what a hero he is.

10. Zeppelin53 says: Jan 3, 2010 1:49 PM

Shouldn’t this be on injury reports? Also, I think it would be hard to play football with 3 broken ribs. I have a feeling this is another one of these blown out of proportion injuries/excuses. Probably has a bruised rib – says ‘maybe it’s broken’, and it turns into ‘Tom Brady has been playing with 3 broken ribs the entire year’.

11. Ken1313 says: Jan 3, 2010 1:52 PM

# Tenntuxx says: January 3, 2010 12:55 PM
    ——————————————–
    Tenntuxx, Brady has been listed on the injury reported ALL SEASON with ribs injury…as required. They do noit have to specify whether they are sore ribs broken ribs or barbecued ribs…they just have to list it….which they did….so don’t try to start another “Patriots get special Treatment” BS thread.

12. Abe71 says: Jan 3, 2010 2:02 PM

“…Have any of you ever had broken ribs? I have…just one…..and I didn’t have 300lb men trying to kill me every week either. I couldnt do basic stuff like stand, walk or sit without severe pain….”
    Oh stop it, cry baby. You also didn’t have the best doctors and trainers to help alleviate the pain so don’t try to ASSume you know what Brady is going thru. many qb’s play with this injury…MANY! So stop trying to put your superman on a pedestal.

13. LovinBlue says: Jan 3, 2010 2:18 PM

I’m no Patriots or Brady fan, but there is no denying that guy is tough. Walking off the field under your own power with barely a grimace after a devastating knee injury? Continuing to play through broken ribs? Pretty impressive.

14. Richm2256 says: Jan 3, 2010 2:19 PM

So Brady broke the ribs in pre-season camp, reinjured them in Week Two against the Jets, and reinjured them again in Week 13 against the Fins …… and people wonder why he’s not the Tom Brady of 2007?
    Hell, it’s amazing he’s been as good as he has been this year! Brett Favre complains when he gets a yeast infection.

15. Reba says: Jan 3, 2010 2:37 PM

The HATriots…. Brady had broken ribs? That’s the best news of the new year. HIT THE B**TARD AGAIN!!! DRIVE HIS HIT INTO THE GROUND. HE’S SUCH A ***SY! And don’t forget a cheater too.

16. belicheckyoself says: Jan 3, 2010 3:06 PM

I am beginning to sense true fear
    from pats haters.
    Relax guys, what kind of team could
    go through this many
    injuries/retirements/coaching shifts &
    still be a potential superbowl winner…
    Again.
    I think with the loss of Welker we’re going
    to have a hard time getting out of the afc
    playoffs, but still…
    Your suffering; it’s like sustainance to me

17. tigerlilac says: Jan 3, 2010 9:25 PM

I bruised my ribs in college lacrosse and it was a very difficult injury to play with, not just because of the pain but because it took your breath away. I can’t imagine playing QB with broken ribs.
    Bledsoe played with a pin in a broken finger for a number of weeks, including in a freezing game in Buffalo, and played well.