Dan Snyder "accept[s] responsibilities for mistakes that I have made"

With the Redskins firing coach Jim Zorn and a press conference starting at 12:30 p.m. ET, owner Daniel Snyder has issued a statement commenting on the situation.

In so doing, Snyder has welcomed part of the blame for the current state of the franchise.

“This has been an extremely difficult season for our organization and for the fans,” Snyder said in a release from the team.   “Bruce Allen spent many hours examining the football operations, and we are both determined to do whatever it takes to build a championship team.   That process begins today.

“No one in the organization is satisfied with our record over the last two years, and I am sure that Jim would concur with that statement.  It has been painful for him too.  I certainly accept responsibility for mistakes that I have made.  I am hopeful that our fans will accept my commitment and pledge to deliver a franchise that can compete in the NFC East every season.

“Finally, I am mindful that this is a tough day for Jim and his family, and I do want to wish him success in his next endeavor.”

Actually, it’s probably not a tough day for Zorn and his family.  After the sword hangs over a guy’s head long enough, he’s relieved when it finally falls.

Zorn can now move on, possibly by joining the coaching staff in Cleveland, where his former boss, Mike Holmgren, now runs the show.

Or Zorn can take a year off and collect the money he would have made in 2010 if he hadn’t been fired.

As to the Redskins, it remains to be seen whether the team will be able to again be competitive in the NFC East in the near future.

Permalink 20 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Cleveland Browns, Rumor Mill, Sprint Football Live - Rumors, Top Stories, Washington Redskins
20 Responses to “Dan Snyder "accept[s] responsibilities for mistakes that I have made"”
  1. HAILSKINS says: Jan 4, 2010 12:29 PM

The team will never be a factor again in the NFC east unless Snyder actually has learned from the many many mistakes he and his yes man Cerrato made.

2. downsouth49er says: Jan 4, 2010 12:37 PM

like I said in a post lastnight, he is the only one in redskins land that needs to go…big names aren’t always needed, you need role players also

3. Gautam says: Jan 4, 2010 12:40 PM

people can make all kinds of comments about Dan but if there is one thing Snyder will never shy from is paying top money
    the problem has always been paying it to the wrong players

4. boysroll says: Jan 4, 2010 12:41 PM

weasel boy is the biggest joke owning a team in the nfl. I really feel sorry for the fan base as I could not support this weasel as i agree with everything John Riggins said.
    Guy is a moron and if he did not get lucky with the business boom way back when would probably be asking me if I wanted an apple pie with my value meal.
    LMFAO.

5. reddog9 says: Jan 4, 2010 12:54 PM

Long live Dannyboy! It is a true joy knowing he could own the Deadskins for the next 40 years!
    All you clueless skins fans out there that think he will change, just get ready to hear the same message in 2-3 years! Shannahan is overrated and clueless about personnel!

6. DC Vikings Fan says: Jan 4, 2010 1:00 PM

If that’s all it takes to accept responsibility, I am copying the statement for future use. It ranks with “Mistakes were made.” What mistakes were those, Dan? Did you leave the lights on and run up the electric bill? Or perhaps you left a window open before it rained?

7. zoinks says: Jan 4, 2010 1:00 PM

Dan, if you’re accepting responsibility, then do the right thing and remove yourself entirely from football operations.
    Bring in some real football minds to make the football decisions. Meanwhile, you just sit quiet and smile pretty, and hold onto that checkbook until they need it.

8. Florio-is-a-tool says: Jan 4, 2010 1:02 PM

Snyder says the same thing every off-season. Remember ‘Skins fans or are you the most gullible group of people in the history of mankind?
    Look for another splash free agent signing in March – the guy is as addicted to star players as Jerry Jones is to face lifts.

9. Hap says: Jan 4, 2010 1:05 PM

No, they won’t be competitive any time soon.
    As far as Danielle saying, “Nobody is happy about our record the last two years.” The last two years ? How about “since Danny-Boy took over”?
    “The fish stinks from the head down” and “you don’t change the spots on a leopard” analogies both apply here.

10. ZombieRevolution says: Jan 4, 2010 1:12 PM

“Actually, it’s probably not a tough day for Zorn and his family. After the sword hangs over a guy’s head long enough, he’s relieved when it finally falls.”
    Speaking from experience or are you speaking for Zorn. I know you would never do the latter, it has always been PFT’s policy to contact those referenced in every posting and get their impressions.

11. dcfan-1212450 says: Jan 4, 2010 1:12 PM

As a huge Redskins fan i finally think the Skins are headed in the right direction. Remember guys, Snyder bought this team when he was 36, younger than Darrell Green, and made mistakes because he is a life long Skins fan and successful businessman. Now, maybe, Snyder has realized he is not smart enough to run a Football team himself. He needs to hand over the reigns and watch. This is a start. Cerrato is gone, and in comes a real GM. And as with most GMs, some of his record is good, and some is bad. He now has an owner who will spend, so he has no excuse for being a bad GM again. Soon, we will have a proven coach. And as i said many times before, Shanahan did not win because of Elway, Elway won because of Shanahan and his running game, which was elite with Terrell Davis. So cut that stupid argument away, Shanahans a GREAT coach. Will he be overpaid, sure. But thats Danny boy, spare no expense. I just hope this really is the beginning of brighter things. It happened in Cincinatti with their owner, maybe it can happen here…

12. Brewster says: Jan 4, 2010 1:46 PM

___________
    How about 10 hears Dan, or whenever it was you bought the team.
    Much like the situation in Oakland, nothing is going to change in DC until Snyder is out of the picture.

13. tom coughlin's coat holder says: Jan 4, 2010 2:22 PM

i feel for zorn,he got the brown end of the stick in this deal.the two incompetents,cerrato and snyder did this guy’s career no good…..sad.

14. Katmanduu says: Jan 4, 2010 2:24 PM

This team is so screwed. Gotta love dcfan’s post. How clueless can one get?? We hear this same crap every 2-3 years when Danny Boy changes coaches, and we’ll hear it again in 2-3 more years.

15. boysroll says: Jan 4, 2010 2:36 PM

m2002m—you must be a dopey 4skin fan. 275 lbs of muscle you moron. It was just a joke just like your joke of an org. Keep supporting the weasel pal and good luck serving your customers at mcdonalds.
    HOW BOUT THEM COWBOYS!!!!
    2 OF THE LAST 3 YRS NFC EAST CHAMPS AND SB BOUND BABY. LOSER.

16. stnmmc says: Jan 4, 2010 2:42 PM

Keep drinking the kool-aid dcfan.
    ___________________________________
    …Cerrato is gone, and in comes a real GM. And as with most GMs, some of his record is good, and some is bad. He now has an owner who will spend, so he has no excuse for being a bad GM again…
    Unless he is a bad GM to begin with, in which case no amount of money will change that.
    ____________________________________
    …And as i said many times before, Shanahan did not win because of Elway, Elway won because of Shanahan and his running game, which was elite with Terrell Davis…
    How many other running backs stepped into that system and became studs. To completely ignore Elway’s contribution is to show just how far you will go to see a brighter future in DC.
    ________________________________
    Too many believe that just hiring a coach will instantly turn a franchise around, but there are many little things that make up success. Norv Turner could not win anywhere until he got to SD. Bellichick got beat up as the Browns head coach. The coach is important, but the little things like overpaying, a sense of entitlement, an aging Oline, and an owner who cannot resist sticking his stubby little fingers into the pie are just a few that need addressed before your club is no longer the laughingstock. Hell, the Rams have more dignity than the Skins.

17. gmenfan56892710 says: Jan 4, 2010 2:52 PM

Note to Snyder: When you spend all your $ on defense, put no talent around your quarterback and fire the head coach and/or offensive corridinator every year, your team will stink.

18. mike428 says: Jan 4, 2010 3:14 PM

Hi, I’m Dan Snyder, and I wish to acknowledge the following mistakes that I have made:
    “I shouldn’t have hired Sherm Lewis to take over play-calling duties. Unfortunately, my hands were tied at the time. Greg Blache, for whatever reason, only wanted to call defensive plays. Art Shell wouldn’t return my calls, Bill Walsh died, Al Davis told me that it would be a conflict of interest calling the plays for a team he doesn’t own, and OJ Simpson is a bit tied up in Nevada. So, I had no choice but to roam the bingo halls in search of a new play caller.
    In addition, when I ran last off-season, I inadvertently used Madden 07 instead of Madden 09 as a consulting guide. To solve this problem, I’m going to buy EA Sports, and I’m receiving an advance copy of Madden 11 today, so I will now have the latest Madden tools to properly build this team for the 2010 season.
    So, to fix my offseason errors, I will do the following:
    First, I will trade Jason Campbell and the entire 2010 draft to the Raiders for JaMarcus Russell and Darrius Heyward-Bey. Tomorrow, I will announce that I will be taking over as head coach, offensive coordinator, defensive coordinator and special teams coach. Using the LEAN process of today’s industries, I will eliminate all position coaches.
    For fixing the defense, I’m going to entice Brian Bosworth out of retirement with a 5 year, 105 million dollar deal, and will replace my defensive line with Michael Strahan, William “The Refrigerator” Perry and Ryan Leaf.
    Thanks for your time, and I will not be taking questions at this time.”

19. TheBaySay says: Jan 4, 2010 4:16 PM

If I’m Zorn, without question I spend next year on vacation while the jackass pays for it.

20. Kidekk says: Jan 4, 2010 6:37 PM

Who does he think he is? Tiger Woods?