Texans line up offensive coordinator candidates

With Texans offensive coordinator Kyle Shanahan expected to join his father in Washington, Gary Kubiak has started to look for a replacement.

John McClain of the Houston Chronicle reports there are four candidates: Titans offensive line coach Mike Munchak, Broncos offensive line
coach Rick Dennison, Falcons quarterbacks coach Bill Musgrave and former Chiefs offensive coordinator Chan Gailey.

Kubiak is an offensive-minded coach, so losing Shanahan shouldn’t be devastating. He even had some fun wondering what the Shanahan duo will be like together.

“That’s [working with
his father] something Kyle’s always wanted. Kyle’s done an outstanding
job for us . . . He’s going to be a head coach in this league someday.  Now he and his dad get to do battle. I’d love to be a fly on the wall.”

“The Shanahans” sounds like a sitcom pilot: A father-son duo team up to revive a once-storied franchise down on its luck.  You’ve got the meddlesome owner, the wacky running back and tight end, and some guy named Vinny who keeps stopping over. Now if only I knew some writers.

Permalink 13 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Houston Texans, Rumor Mill, Sprint Football Live - Rumors, Top Stories
13 Responses to “Texans line up offensive coordinator candidates”
  1. hsf09 says: Jan 4, 2010 8:10 PM

We change coordinators like it’s running out of business. I guess “good” to see them all moving on to “greener pastures”.
    That’s if you consider Texas A&M, Air Force, and the Washington Redskins greener pastures.

2. Blahman64 says: Jan 4, 2010 8:13 PM

HAH!

3. wheat says: Jan 4, 2010 8:13 PM

Shameless plug Florio…are all the positive reviews on Amazon from credible reviewers or if I apply my CSI/Sherlock Holmes skills will they be traced back to a member of the Florio family?

4. Chapnasty2 says: Jan 4, 2010 8:17 PM

5. rydendonkeys says: Jan 4, 2010 8:18 PM

Dennison, please rescue Dennison from McDoesn’t!

6. Ovi says: Jan 4, 2010 8:21 PM

LMAO “The Shanahans”, that would be a great show.

7. KingKunal says: Jan 4, 2010 8:24 PM

Florio, have you read some of the reviews for you “book”
    “I really had thought reading novels was a valid use of my time. I have been an avid reader for 20 years and I assume I have spent a good part of my life reading. However, the moment I picked up Florio’s book, I knew that the past 20 years of my life had been a total waste. Not only haven’t I put it down since, but I’ve had the text printed on the walls of my house and tattooed onto my body, so no matter what, I can have this literary masterpiece with me. I threw out all of my other books, movies, games, even my TV, radio, wife, and children. A definite must-read. “

8. slipkid says: Jan 4, 2010 8:45 PM

not to mention the avid weblogger who keeps picking them to go to the super bowl!

9. Big_McLargeHuge says: Jan 4, 2010 9:38 PM

“The Shanahans”
    needs theme song

10. DG0122 says: Jan 4, 2010 9:56 PM

Chan Gailey talked the Texans, well Casserley anyway, into using a 2nd round supplemental pick on his former GT RB Tony Hollings…thanks for absolutely nothing.
    NEXT!

11. MattsRiff says: Jan 4, 2010 11:07 PM

Vinny dropping by?? You talking about Skins fired gm? Why would he drop by?

12. Gregg Rosenthal says: Jan 4, 2010 11:13 PM

BigMcLarge – cracked me up. Although I think that one is taken.

13. tatum32 says: Jan 5, 2010 4:55 AM

“Are any of the candidates of a nationality other than European American and lacking male genitals? Because if not, Florio is going to lose it!”
    STFU a$%hole.