Cribbs goes to bat for Mangini

With Browns coach Eric Mangini due to meet Tuesday with new team president Mike Holmgren, and with plenty of folks thinking that it’ll be an uphill climb for Mangini to persuade the Big Show to order up a second act, the best player on the team has made his preference known.

I believe coach Mangini should be our coach again,” receiver Josh Cribbs posted on his Twitter page.

The endorsement came in a tweet that also asked Cribbs’ 8,050-and-counting followers to choose between Underworld and Twilight

Though that might cause some to think that maybe “JoshCribbs16″ isn’t the Josh Cribbs who wears No. 16 for the Browns, the folks at Sportsin140.com say that it’s Cribbs.

Cribbs’ stance is curious, given that Mangini has consistently refused to give Cribbs a new contract, despite Cribbs’ belief that the prior regime and owner Randy Lerner promised to “pay the man.”  Then again, there’s always a chance that Mangini has told Cribbs that if he goes to bat for the coach and the coach stays, Mangini will do everything he can in order to get Josh a new deal.

If that’s the case, Cribbs should have checked with Pete Kendall, Chris Baker, and Laveranues Coles before exchanging a pinky swear with Eric.

UPDATE:  Two weeks ago, Cribbs gave a more detailed assessment as to whether he and his teammates want Mangini to return.  “I think it’d be unanimous,” Cribbs told Peter King of SI.com and NBC.  “I think the guys would
definitely want to keep him.  You can’t judge coach Mangini on one year.
The camaraderie in the locker room is great.  You hear things in the
media about coach Mangini being too tough on us.  But I think we’re
building something here, and I think the players are behind him.”

Permalink 36 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Cleveland Browns, Rumor Mill, Sprint Football Live - Rumors, Top Stories
36 Responses to “Cribbs goes to bat for Mangini”
  1. Bowman says: Jan 5, 2010 8:53 AM

“Cribbs’ stance is curious, given that Mangini has consistently refused to give Cribbs a new contract”
    I wasn’t aware that Mangini did player contracts.

2. BrownsFan72 says: Jan 5, 2010 8:54 AM

Doesnt matter and wont matter in a few hours…Holmgren has made up his mind before he enters this meeting im sure. I also dont believe he will place his future in someone that he didnt pick who has different philosophies…4 game winning streak or not…see ya Mangini!

3. Fan_Of_ Four says: Jan 5, 2010 9:03 AM

Unless your last name is Manning or Brady, your opinion on who the coach should be don’t mean Jack.

4. JohnC says: Jan 5, 2010 9:08 AM

I can’t recall an instance where Mangini didn’t want to rework Cribbs contract. Cribbs is making less than practice squad players. If this isn’t the first thing Holgrem takes care of he’ll lose a lot of face in Cleveland before he even starts.

5. Pudge Heffelfinger says: Jan 5, 2010 9:09 AM

Cribbs stance is curious. It should be obvious to everyone that “Underworld” is superior.

6. wryly1 says: Jan 5, 2010 9:10 AM

Cribbs and his agent erred on the side of caution when he signed his current contract – but he was an undrafted free agent special teams player at the time. Now he is smartly hedging his bet and putting himself in the optimum position to get the richer deal he richly deserves. Good for him!

7. GoBrowns19 says: Jan 5, 2010 9:11 AM

Florio, you are one of those writers that Mangini spoke of in his presser yesterday. The guys that just read what others write, and make assumptions based on that. You think Cribbs hates Mangini because Belicheck, Mortensen, and you do.
    Mangini’s players like him. The ones he didn’t cut or bench do at least (isn’t that anywhere?). Everyone in Cleveland knows that, except for the ones that get their info from you and from ESPN. That’s why the country thinks Mangini is a tool. Guys, he knows football and is a great coach. He’s a poor talent evaluator and overall personell guy. But getting rid of him as a coach will set us back again. With Mangini, this is a playoff team next year.

8. Biglardawg says: Jan 5, 2010 9:11 AM

“Then again, there’s always a chance that Mangini has told Cribbs that if he goes to bat for the coach and the coach stays, Mangini will do everything he can in order to get Josh a new deal.”
    WTF are you talking about???
    There’s always the chance that something credible might be posted on this site too.

9. BenRapistberger says: Jan 5, 2010 9:12 AM

“Cribbs should have checked with Pete Kendall, Chris Baker, and Laveranues Coles before exchanging a pinky swear with Eric.”
    lol.
    I think the only thing Florio hates more than the injury report is Mangini, and I love it.

10. Dixon29 says: Jan 5, 2010 9:12 AM

Four wins in a row. I am a huge Browns fan, and I am very optimistic about next year. Please do not fire a coach who has gotten the most out of a depleted team.
    The best player on the team wants him to stay (not because of a “pinky swear” either), KEEP MANGINI!

11. sunflower100 says: Jan 5, 2010 9:14 AM

It could also just be as simple as not wanting a new HC every year. A new HC could also bring new schemes to learn, etc. I don’t think it is any great love of Mangini other then he probably wants some constitency.

12. Ammo says: Jan 5, 2010 9:15 AM

It IS really Cribbs.
    And I find it VERY curious that the guy (Mangini) has the whole locker room on his side yet you people in the media continue to make him your personal whipping boy.

13. StevePhillipsLikesFat/UglyChicks says: Jan 5, 2010 9:17 AM

Florio, we get it. You don’t like Eric Mangini. Find something new to dislike. This is REALLY getting old. Dick wad.

14. AMSmith17 says: Jan 5, 2010 9:26 AM

To take one line from a twitter page and turn it into this elaborate story about Josh Cribbs having a behind-the-scenes “pinky swear” with Mangini is simply fiction. The one line of fact in this story is what Cribbs tweeted. Everything else is fabricated from your imagination. Granted, that’s fine for your own personal blog, but when NBC linked to you, I would think a little more journalistic integrity would considered. You’ve been on a witch hunt since Mangini was hired by the Browns. Do you think its possible that the players actually see what Mangini was doing now that they’ve won four in a row. Crennel ran a country club; sure it was fun, but there was no success. Mangini kicked their butts; it sucked at first, but now they no what winning feels like. Perhaps Cribbs is going to bat for Mangini because the team is starting to look like an actual NFL team again. But then again, you can make up whatever you want.

15. sammm says: Jan 5, 2010 9:38 AM

I don’t understand all the love for Mangini. The Browns are dead last in offense and next to the last in defense. He got them 11 draft picks by trading away the talent, which is fine by me because KWII and BE were distractions.
    The 4 game streak came against bottom of the barrel teams. The Jags were probably the best in that stretch but they can’t stop the run.

16. Ryan says: Jan 5, 2010 9:40 AM

OK, this was it for me. I’ve been reading on this site for some time but never wanted to comment until this. Florio, I find it amazing what a complete ass you are! Do you really think what I quoted above is plausible??? Your disdain for anything Browns or Mangini has been clear ever since I found out about this site. I’m sure you just get off on pushing people’s buttons but I just can’t believe what a tool you are. Did you ever think the Browns finally see that what Mangini was trying to do was working and that’s why Cribbs and other players are supporting him? Man, you are a class 1 idiot! I wish PFT would get rid of you because I’m almost to the point where I don’t even want to read this site anymore because I can’t stand you. Great journalism by the way (extreme sarcasm intended!).

17. someone_smarter_than_you says: Jan 5, 2010 9:42 AM

I’m not a Browns fan (not that I would admit it if I was) but I think it would be foolish to get rid of Mangini this year. Who would the Browns replace him with? A coordinator from another team? That worked out real well for Denver, KC, and St Louis. The candidate pool is shallow this year. Give him another year then go after Gruden. Gruden has expressed a desire to return to coaching (although not given a timeline) and has a history with Holmgren and I believe Gruden’s contract with ESPN allows for an out after the 2010 season.

18. Bowman says: Jan 5, 2010 9:45 AM

Then again, there’s always a chance Braylon Edwards paid Florio to make things up about Mangini to help him get a trade.
    See, we can all make things up and post it on the internet.

19. Big Rick says: Jan 5, 2010 9:48 AM

“He’s a poor talent evaluator and overall personell guy.”
    Hmmm. Let’s look at his draft picks in NY…Darrelle Revis-pro bowl…Nick Mangold-pro bowl…Leon Washington-headed for a pro bowl before breaking his leg…Brad Smith-now holds the record for the longest play in NY Jets history…David Harris-one of the most underrated LB’s in the game…D’Brickashaw Ferguson-one of the better left tackles in the game
    Yeah, Mangini can’t evaluate talent.

20. cbrianwatkins says: Jan 5, 2010 9:51 AM

Latest News and Rumors
    such a hard concept to grasp by so many

21. mwcarolina says: Jan 5, 2010 9:59 AM

if i were Holmgrin i would keep Mangini for one more year, but you tell him what to do on offense, which means, Zorn somehow, someway, in my book firing him could be dangerous, unless Shanahan goes there, Bill Cowher will NOT go there (he sees taking that job like a slap in the face to the Steelers). the only guys after that i could see is Holmgrin guys like Jim Mora (who is still the Seahawks coach), Marty Morningwig (bad spelling i know, but also wouldn’t work) and i don’t know if Holmgrin could lure Jon Gruden out of the mnf booth, if he can, then get Gruden, that would be a GREAT hire, but i can’t see Gruden leaving yet.

22. dogfan101 says: Jan 5, 2010 10:00 AM

Truly pathetic….
    To suggest that Mangini is somehow groveling around for player support to keep his job. What total crap. He’s worked hard everyday to transform this team into a real TEAM and has earned the chance to go forward as the Browns coach.
    How inconvenient for Florio that the Browns best players have come out in support of Mangini….. and it would just be soooooo inconvenient for Florio if Holmgren recognized that Mangini has finally put together the foundation of a cohesive unit and kept him as coach.
    Mike Florio is an embarrassment……..

23. urbusted says: Jan 5, 2010 10:05 AM

It’s not the fact the Browns won four in a row at seasons end, but more the way they played. The Browns were playing good old fashioned smash mouth football! It actually was apparent in the Chargers game that they lost. I haven’t seen that type of football in Cleveland since Byner and Mack. Holmgren’s decision I believe, has more to do with how flexible he can be in keeping a coach that comes from a different football tree. How many coaches could have gotten a team to play that way when the season was over for them at that point? I just throw that out there as food for thought. I think Mangini deserves one more year, and maybe more if all works out! This is coming from someone who wanted him out at mid season. I saw no direction in the team, but I was wrong. Mangini had to tear down the old before he could build the new.

24. Tecumseh says: Jan 5, 2010 10:07 AM

What exactly was the problem with Coles??
    —————————————————-From Cleveland Reboot
    “Walking off the field with Coles, I quickly got the impression that I was talking to a very professional and incredibly rational player. Despite the wealth of negative material that orbits Mangini, Coles didn’t dwell in the personal, as he admitted that Mangini is “a really good coach”, however it takes players a while to “figure him out.”
    As for what’s in store for the Browns going through their first Camp Mangini, Coles reveals the entire experience will be an evaluation process, albeit one that is very physical and draining for all involved.
    “Mangini’s first camp, really, his first couple seasons is just him getting a feel for guys. The thing about Mangini is he wants to find out which players are with him, which guys are about his philosophy. His camp is about pushing, breaking guys down to their lowest point, then pushing you further. That’s how Mangini weeds guys out. He wants to find his core guys, then build his team around his guys.”
    Finally, in another example of Coles’ further evolution as a reflective player and in a reference to his own long NFL journey, Coles admitted that it “took me a long time to figure out what Mangini is about.”

25. trickbunny says: Jan 5, 2010 10:23 AM

Big Rick says:
    January 5, 2010 9:48 AM
    “He’s a poor talent evaluator and overall personell guy.”
    Yeah, Mangini can’t evaluate talent.
    ————————————————-
    Awesome. What that has to do with the personnel he has selected for the CLEVELAND BROWNS, I have no idea. Other than acquiring Matt Roth, I haven’t seen a single player, brought as a direct result of Mangini’s actions, who could be considered outstanding. A few that are decent, sure. Outstanding or way above average? Not so much…
    Oh, and yeah, it’s great to see that Revis and Mangold are Pro Bowl starters THIS year, after flourishing under a NEW coaching staff. (Yeah, yeah, I know- they were alternates last year, when Mangini was still there.) Hmmm… Derek Anderson was alao Pro Bowl alternate. I guess that means that Ozzie Newsome is a genius for drafting *him* too, eh? After all, he’s really made strides since that Pro Bowl season. And by “strides” I mean “he’s a disaster”.
    Thanks for playing.

26. KennyPowers says: Jan 5, 2010 10:29 AM

Can’t even bring myself to respond to anything Florio said…what a joke.
    I will say this:
    Firing Mangini would be a huge risk to Holmgren. If a new coach is brought on and does worse than Mangini (very possible), Holmgren will shoulder a lot of the blame, which would be a bad start to his tenure in Cleveland. However, if Holmgren keeps Mangini and the Browns start off terrible next year, the Big Show can wipe his hands clean of EM and say, “I gave him his chance, now it’s time to move on.”
    To me, keeping Mangini is the only play.
    What this team really needs is proper talent evaluation. I’m not claiming Mangini doesn’t have this trait (who knows who made what personnel decisions in his past), I’m just saying that the Browns call ill afford to have a sub par draft this year, especially with 11 picks at their disposal.

27. meezle says: Jan 5, 2010 10:52 AM

Not a browns fan, but I bashed mangini more than anyone at the beginning of the season. But if you look at what he did with what he had he wasn’t that bad.
    He got rid of the cancer known as kellen winslow, and the receiver that can’t catch know as braylon edwards. Besides cribbs and harrison he had hardly any talent.
    Only thing I would fault him for is not playing quinn more, but I also didn’t get to watch the games so there could be a reason.

28. Mandingo52 says: Jan 5, 2010 11:11 AM

GoBrowns19 says:
    January 5, 2010 9:11 AM
    ————————-
    great, GREAT post!! I agree 100% Go Brownies!!!

29. Asswipe Johnson (Pronounced Az-Wee-Pay) says: Jan 5, 2010 11:22 AM

Jim Mora Senior said:
    “You don’t know when it’s good or bad. You really don’t know, because you don’t know what we’re trying to do, you guys don’t look at the films. You don’t know what happened. You really don’t know. You think you know, but you don’t know. And you never will.”

30. johnnydom says: Jan 5, 2010 11:33 AM

Great player, keep to what you do best.
    Run back the ball play special teams, shut the pie hole. We don’t really need Cribbs opinion, all we need to do to make a decision is look at the record 1-11 to start then beat up bad teams on the downslide.
    Q.B. controversy, where was Harrison during the year, his draft, drafting Coye Francis and then playing Brandon Mc Donald all season??
    Mistake, mistake,mistake and this is a good coach!??

31. 2brauneyz says: Jan 5, 2010 11:43 AM

@ Ryan: “Man, you are a class 1 idiot! I wish PFT would get rid of you because I’m almost to the point where I don’t even want to read this site anymore because I can’t stand you.”
    Dude, Florio IS PFT! Maybe you should go back to getting sports info from your local newspaper … seriously, you would NOT be missed here.

32. tudefit says: Jan 5, 2010 11:50 AM

I would love to see you choke on your sandwich if Holmgren keeps Mangini on – which he should. We finally have something going here and it would be ridiculous for him to throw a wrench in it.

33. alewatcher says: Jan 5, 2010 11:55 AM

I think Holmgen should keep Mangini for another year. If you look at the worst teams, the one thing they all have in common is lack of continuity on the coaching staff. The Browns seem to be turning the corner, and given the disaster he walked into, Mangini has done pretty well, especially closing out the season with four wins.
    Let Mangini have another year and see what happens.

34. VonClausewitz says: Jan 5, 2010 1:00 PM

I’m not a fan of Mangini – in fact I think he’s a bit of a nut. But if the team is behind him that does say something and it would be unwise to ignore. My primary knock on Mangini, aside from his over the top behavior, is that he botched the handling of the qb position. It’s one thing to remove those players, like Edwards, who were never going to be on the same page, and get a team of guys who all fit a particular mold – that’s coaching 101. But even if you get the team to play like a team, and you don’t have the right qb, you’re still not going to see success. The question is will his approach produce a winning team and not just a team of guys who work hard and have the same mindset, wins excluded.
    Holmgren will have to do his diligence here. He has to figure out if the direction Mangini has the team moving in is ultimately going to work. It’s not open and shut like some would think.

35. tobago says: Jan 5, 2010 2:21 PM

Do what you think is best, Holmgren!

36. spliffbunker says: Jan 5, 2010 3:01 PM

Cribbs had Mangini’s back after he was hurt on the final play against Baltimore…
    I am beginning to think its a myth that his players hate him…dont think i have seen much critisim from current players…how many ex Jets/Browns have bashed him? Braylon Edwards doesnt count