Mr. Davis, Rich Gannon on the line for you

It wasn’t so long ago that Rich Gannon was told he wasn’t welcome at the Raiders team facility for television production meetings.

Now Gannon is offering to work there.

“I did something yesterday that I can’t believe even I did,” Gannon said on his SIRIUS NFL Radio show Wednesday.  “I picked up the
phone and I reached out to Al Davis.  So I called Mr. Davis, I have not spoken
with him yet, but I’m happy to help out in any way I can.”

“I’d love to help
JaMarcus Russell if he wants help.  I’d love to help Tom Cable and that
organization.  It’s important.  Listen, seven straight seasons where they’ve
lost 11 or more games?  Something’s not right.”

We agree with everything Gannon says, and he might be of great help to the Raiders quarterbacks.  But he probably shouldn’t wait by the phone.

Permalink 35 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Oakland Raiders, Rumor Mill, Sprint Football Live - Rumors, Top Stories
35 Responses to “Mr. Davis, Rich Gannon on the line for you”
  1. pdxbolt4life says: Jan 6, 2010 6:27 PM

Don’t hold your breath Rich. But you can find Jabba the fatass @ the buffet table. He might need help holding the extra plates.

2. formerly dystopianow says: Jan 6, 2010 6:28 PM

3. RaiderMight says: Jan 6, 2010 6:28 PM

Hope Al is able to put away his ego for a few years and allow the team to get better. *rolls eyes*

4. Bob S. says: Jan 6, 2010 6:33 PM

he’D love to get PAID! WHATTA PHONY!

5. Adam-Chris Scheftersen says: Jan 6, 2010 6:34 PM

6. mikeoxlong says: Jan 6, 2010 6:35 PM

The only call, that will help the Raiders, is if the grim reaper calls Al Davis.

7. jupe says: Jan 6, 2010 6:36 PM

gannon would last less than a week working with no- work-ethic jacarcass before admitting it is a hopeless task

8. Alzado's Vein says: Jan 6, 2010 6:36 PM

Gannon is a tireless worker and Al should pick up the phone. I can see Gannon being a great head coach some day.

9. JimmyY says: Jan 6, 2010 6:40 PM

Guess color analyst work isn’t getting it done for Rich since he’s looking to pick up some scratch from Good Ol’ Al. Fat chance that’ll happen.

10. Igottz5onit says: Jan 6, 2010 6:42 PM

hahaha that is awesome.

11. Florio-is-a-tool says: Jan 6, 2010 6:43 PM

The only person who can help JaMarcus Russell is JaMarcus Russell. Gannon won’t give him a good work ethic or make him hungry. Weird Al can hire a hundred coaches but they won’t make a difference.

12. BleedingSilverAndBlack says: Jan 6, 2010 6:44 PM

Rich Gannon is a god send. I just hope he is allowed to help in any way. I sure miss the good old days of Gannon to Brown/Rice.

13. raiders177 says: Jan 6, 2010 6:45 PM

Does Gannon know of more efficient ways of eating?

14. DeVoodoo says: Jan 6, 2010 6:49 PM

Isn’t it clear by this point that JaMarcus doesn’t want the help, will never want the help, can’t be helped?
    Gannon should just suit up again and play QB for them.

15. Richm2256 says: Jan 6, 2010 6:50 PM

RG: “Hello, this is Rich Gannon, calling for Mr. Davis?”
    *click*
    RG: “Hello? …….. hello?”
    Nice effort in reaching for the phone, but no doubt the Raiders think they are above him.

16. TheBigOldDog says: Jan 6, 2010 6:50 PM

# Adam-Chris Scheftersen says: January 6, 2010 6:34 PM
    _____________________
    I have tears rolling down my cheeks! How did I miss that photo until now?

17. swervinmervin says: Jan 6, 2010 6:50 PM

Gannon is full of crap. IF he really wants to get a job working for Al Davis, why the hell would he start of the topic on his radio show by saying, “I cant believe I did something yesterday….reaching out to Al Davis…” Like he was reaching out to Satan. Not sure if that’s gonna go over to well. Nice try, Gannon. But youre full of crap. THis is just a way to stir the pot and get your name in the news.

18. straverse says: Jan 6, 2010 6:57 PM

Is Al Davis boozing in Adam CS’s photo? I have a hard time believing that’s just diet coke in that glass.

19. ispysomething7 says: Jan 6, 2010 6:59 PM

Al Davis needs to keep firing coaches after 1 year! In fact, he should have 16 different coaches in a season! Fire them after each game! He could parlay that into a reality show on FOX! Your opportunity to coach the Raiders! He would make millions! I mean what is the goal of a owner: to win games or make money?

20. GRpatriot says: Jan 6, 2010 7:04 PM

The Black Hole of the NFL universe!

21. DayAllOnJuice says: Jan 6, 2010 7:12 PM

swervinmervin says:
    January 6, 2010 6:50 PM
    _______________________
    Exactly! Nothing but a stunt.

22. bucco bruce says: Jan 6, 2010 7:17 PM

Oakland still has an NFL franchise? I thought they moved to the UFL last year. Any team which sees their season ruined when Bruce Gradkowski goes down isn’t worthy of being in the NFL.

23. iusedtobeteddybayer says: Jan 6, 2010 8:38 PM

Wow. And I thought I was cynical…
    Sure, it would be a paycheck. But, like a Picasso or Matt Million, if he DID go to work there, he’d be “signing his named”, endorsing, the eventual outcome. I think that’s called putting your ass on the line.
    One thing I know for sure is, when a Rich Gannon or the prototypical Raiderfan-Thug says, ” Listen, seven straight seasons where they’ve lost 11 or more games? Something’s not right”, HE AIN’T LYIN’

24. rcunningham says: Jan 6, 2010 9:09 PM

“# formerly dystopianow says: January 6, 2010 6:28 PM
    What is Rich Gannon smoking? He was there for 1 and a half of those seasons. He was the starting quarterback in 2003 and the beginning of the 2004 season. I guess CBS isn’t paying the bills.”
    Are you retarded? Gannon was injured both those years.

25. Chasehunterj says: Jan 6, 2010 9:14 PM

Rich can do better and he knows that.

26. dowens11 says: Jan 6, 2010 9:33 PM

Most players that have had success as a Raider have a deep reverence for the organization regardless what the rest of the football world has to say about Al. I’m happy as a fan that Rich is willing to help. I think just the gesture alone should be a wake up call to the whole team, especially Al.
    I hope Gradkowski is the starter next year and Rich works with him. He has all of the playmaking ability that Rich did, just in a bigger more athletic body. Please silver and black, just 8-8 next year, that’s all I ask, just some signs of progress.

27. Samaritan_1 says: Jan 6, 2010 9:43 PM

The only way anyone can help Jawalruss is to put a 20 oz. tri-tip dangling at the goal post. But I really like the idea of RG being on board. Like what he said that something is not right when a team kept losing 11+ every year. Good luck Rich but everyone knows that you can’t teach work ethics. That’s something that started way back home.

28. tatum32 says: Jan 6, 2010 10:01 PM

“The Black Hole of the NFL universe!”
    sure busted a cap on the Steelers though, didnt we?

29. Brewster says: Jan 6, 2010 10:10 PM

ispysomething7 says: January 6, 2010 6:59 PM
    Al Davis needs to keep firing coaches after 1 year!
    ————————
    Can the Broncos borrow him next, the fans promise to return him.

30. NFLMMAfan says: Jan 6, 2010 10:49 PM

@ ispysomething7:
    Al Davis needs to keep firing coaches after 1 year….. I mean what is the goal of a owner: to win games or make money?
    ~~~~~~
    Dear ispysomething7,
    I made more money before the maid woke me up this morning than my fans made in the last ten years. Those dumb $hits.
    Sincerely,
    Daniel M. (Midget) Snyder

31. Mick819 says: Jan 6, 2010 11:10 PM

Many NFL fans forget: for every 12-4 team, there has to be a 4-12 team. The NFL !NEEDS! Al Davis.

32. Lott42 says: Jan 6, 2010 11:54 PM

So typical… tatum32 proclaims:
    “sure busted a cap on the Steelers though, didnt we?”
    You sure did. Actually you busted a cap in a total of 5 opponents. Problem is, you took 11 caps right between the eyes for at least seven seasons in a row now. Do you see the problem…?

33. iusedtobeteddybayer says: Jan 7, 2010 12:07 AM

Wow. And I thought I was cynical…

34. GirthyOne says: Jan 7, 2010 7:46 AM

formerly dystopianow is a little off in his Rich Gannon playing career with the Raiders.
    Gannon was signed by the Raiders in 1999 and played until his neck injury in 2004. Pro Bowler in 1999, 2000, 2001 and 2002. All Pro (what really matters) in 2000, 2001, 2002. NFL MVP 2002.
    Gannon worked his butt off to make himself a better QB, rather than just a guy with talent and it showed.
    Since the JaMarcus “The Big Buffet” Russell only cracks 300 in lbs and not yards, you might consider than Gannon could help him, if he wants the help.

35. Adam-Chris Scheftersen says: Jan 7, 2010 12:47 PM

tatum32 says:
    January 6, 2010 10:01 PM
    “The Black Hole of the NFL universe!”
    sure busted a cap on the Steelers though, didnt we?
    —————————–
    Yeah, but that’s not a real exclusive group this season.