Cribbs says farewell, "It's over" in Cleveland

Browns wide receiver and return man Josh Cribbs says he’s finished in Cleveland.

“I said good-bye to some people on the medical staff, some of the equipment guys and the coaches,” Cribbs told the Cleveland Plain Dealer today. “I wished the coaches luck and told them I hoped they kept their job. But it absolutely felt like the last time I’d be setting foot inside the building. I feel like it’s over for me in Cleveland.”

Cribbs, who previously said he doesn’t think he fits in new front office boss Mike Holmgren’s plans, said he expects Holmgren to trade him during the off-season.

“There’s no way I’ll play another down for the Browns without the new contract,” he said. “They won’t let me sit, because I have value. They’d be forced to trade me.”

Cribbs said Holmgren made the right call in retaining Browns coach Eric Mangini, but he thinks Holmgren has insulted him by giving him a $1.4 million a year offer that suggests the Browns see him as strictly a special teams player, and not a threat on offense.

“I’m not just insulted by the number, but by the fact they consider me just a kick returner,” Cribbs said. “I’m so much more than that. . . . I’m shocked they make me an offer like that after all I’ve done for this team.”

Permalink 158 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Cleveland Browns, Rumor Mill, Sprint Football Live - Rumors, Top Stories
158 Responses to “Cribbs says farewell, "It's over" in Cleveland”
  1. Igottz5onit says: Jan 7, 2010 5:53 PM

Wow, if Holmgren really is letting Cribbs go, that is really ballsy. He carried that team this year.

2. StillABrownsFan says: Jan 7, 2010 5:53 PM

This is ridiculous. He was told to wait a year and PROVE it and he would be taken care of. He went beyond proving it and still gets a crap offer. All of you that will call him a diva and say he isnt worth it….. How many people in those stands go to watch anyone other than Cribbs. He makes the Browns so much money on tickets alone. Pay the man what he deverves.

3. johnnydom says: Jan 7, 2010 5:54 PM

Hey Josh:
    Honor your contract, you have 3 more years. I would like the ability to tell my employer: give me a raise or I’m outta here.
    I realize that Cribbs is an All- Star no question, but the contract talk is getting on everyone’s nerves. Using Twitter and that A-Hole Deion Sanders and the Cleveland media as your own personal propaganda machine is insulting to the faithful fans that watched the train wreck that was the Cleveland Browns.
    I really wish that if you underperformed we could take money away, can we put that in a new contract?
    These prima donna athletes that bitch and moan that poor me I’m underpaid at $1 Million a year makes me sick. Hey Cribbs any idea how much the average NFL fan makes a year…a hell of a lot less.

4. RK says: Jan 7, 2010 5:56 PM

Cribbs unfortunately has one of the worst agents in the business. His idiotic PR stunts, having his client focus on annual salary instead of guaranteed money, and his encouragement about having his client post on Twitter and elsewhere about his feelings about his contract are not helping.
    Get a new agent, Josh, and you’ll get paid.

5. Wallacej says: Jan 7, 2010 5:56 PM

He needs to just stfu and do whatever it is he thinks he needs to do. When will these guys ever get it into their heads that constantly running your mouth is not the way to go? I guess he’ll be dropping tweets pretty soon.

6. Allied Biscuit says: Jan 7, 2010 5:57 PM

kick returners have one year of glory, then teams DON’T KICK to the guy. it’s still good when you’re offense starts at the 30 or more because of a pooch kick.

7. Stillerz says: Jan 7, 2010 5:57 PM

Get him Tomlin…

8. CanadianVikingFan says: Jan 7, 2010 5:57 PM

Imagine if they implimented him more into the offence. I hope he gets a good contract with a much better team.

9. TeHDruiD says: Jan 7, 2010 5:58 PM

We don’t even have a GM right now. Josh, a GM is more important than you RIGHT NOW. Once the GM is signed, you become top priority. Stop acting like a damn kid and wait. If after a month you’re not sealed up then start pouting, not 3 days after the damn season ended.

10. urbusted says: Jan 7, 2010 5:58 PM

Hey Florio, you were ALL wrong about Mangini from the start.
    Cribbs will go if the Browns want him to. Holmgren just got here so let’s give him a chance during the off season to get thinks worked out.

11. KUALUM15 says: Jan 7, 2010 5:59 PM

I still don’t understand how Holmgren got this czar job. He was a terribly personel guy in Seattle and drove them into the ground after coaching them to the Super Bowl.
    Cribbs is by far the best player on the team and you don’t treat him like this since he has been a good soldier all season even though he was not happy with his contract.
    Holmgren should coach and nothing else. Bring in Ron Wolf.

12. Fapplejax says: Jan 7, 2010 5:59 PM

You all do understand he’s threatening to hold out, but he won’t be able to prove it for 8 months right? I think there’s plenty of time to get something worked out.

13. Sheward says: Jan 7, 2010 5:59 PM

Not only does Cribbs have no leverage b/c of the terms of his contract, but threatening to hold out when there won’t be a game played for another 9 months doesn’t help Cribbs’ cause. What, is Holmgren supposed to be afraid? Cribbs is a stud, and he should make a bunch more than he does, but he’s being a whiner now. He does a great job at gaining fan support, but if he thinks the fans won’t turn on him, he’s wrong.

14. epping16 says: Jan 7, 2010 6:00 PM

Come to San Fran my man….our return game has been pretty pathetic and would love to see you bring back kicks!

15. DocBG says: Jan 7, 2010 6:00 PM

In addition to being a Pro Bowl returner, Cribbs caught 20 passes for 135 yards and ran 55 times for 381 yards this season.”
    The argument is with that last line, i was completely unaware that the browns had 20 completed passes to the entire team, let alone one reciever. PAY THE MAN!

16. Kenneth says: Jan 7, 2010 6:00 PM

Jags need to get this guy. Anything to help this team become more explosive . Imagine Cribbs and Jones Drew on the field at the same time !!!

17. lilhopo says: Jan 7, 2010 6:01 PM

I would to see him on the Saints next year. we could use a great guy for special teams and another wr, since Lance Moore maybe gone next year

18. Jose Reyes says: Jan 7, 2010 6:01 PM

I wish I was insulted with a $1.4MM offer.

19. LJ says: Jan 7, 2010 6:02 PM

Josh doesn’t want to hear it after events of the past year or so, but deep down he should know that he needs to show even more patience. His agent is thinking 5+ mil per year, and the Browns are thinking 3+ mil per year. 1.4 is a good starting point. Holmgren wasn’t going to walk in the door and throw money at him with bigger issues at hand. It’s concievable that Holmgren might want to trade him, but I doubt it unless Cribbs shows too much frustration and pops off regularly to the media. Not likely. Personally I think Cribbs could do better for an agent. The email he wrote then released looks like it was written by a 7th grader in a chat room.

20. Fan_Of_ Four says: Jan 7, 2010 6:03 PM

I guess the Honeymoon is over in Cleveland. Way to make a splash Mike.

21. emmac13 says: Jan 7, 2010 6:09 PM

Cribbs is definitely a talent. He does deserve to get paid. But not with this team. They have to many more important issues. Paying him is like putting lipstick on a pig. Trade him and get as much as you can. The Browns made the mistake of not doing that with Anderson after the Pro Bowl.

22. Huskersrule says: Jan 7, 2010 6:09 PM

Cribbs you have 3 years left on your contract, ou can either play for 1.4 million per year or work at McDonalds. Your choice, however, you are a Brown for the next 3 years or until you are told different.

23. daffy87 says: Jan 7, 2010 6:10 PM

Every Browns fan loves Cribbs. Every Browns fan wants to see Cribbs get a new deal. But in all fairness, the best season the Browns have had since returning to the league in ’99 was the 2007 season where we finished 10-6. In that season Cribbs had less than 100 yards from scrimmage on offense (adding together rushing,recieving,and passing). He had 3 return TD’s that season. He ISN’T the entire team. He needs a new deal though.

24. Vince says: Jan 7, 2010 6:10 PM

Holmgreen is an idiot.. good luck with the fans

25. Vince says: Jan 7, 2010 6:10 PM

Holmgren

26. SATAN567 says: Jan 7, 2010 6:11 PM

If Cribbs thinks he’s worth more than $1.4MM a year, he is smoking crack (which he actually probably is). He has no hands and is incapable of serving any role other than as a return man. He has the agility and speed to be a reliable 3rd down slot receiver like Wes Welker or Brandon Stokley, but his hands, awareness, and route running are nowhere near on par. Josh, take the $1.4MM and recognize your role as a sub-standard receiver on a garbage football team. Winners don’t need you.

27. Paycents says: Jan 7, 2010 6:11 PM

I think he would look good in black and gold

28. Schau3r says: Jan 7, 2010 6:11 PM

There’s no doubt in my mind if I was Holmgren and were rebuilding their program I would be looking for what kind of value I could get for him. I’ll take a capable offense scoring points anyday over a big kick return here and there. Is he their best player? No Doubt, but you have to be realistic here. You can NOT go out and pay a special teamer as your highest paid players. Sorry, Josh Cribbs, but that is what you are. No one fears you as a WR and the wildcat is the only thing you can be productive in. That said, if there is not fair value (a couple solid players) that you can rebuild with then don’t do it. But you idiot Browns fans are so blind. You really think he will help the team any more than he did this year. Great, sign him to an outrageous contract, sign no one else, and enjoy another 3-4 wins next year. As I said, sign him if you can’t get fair value or more for him. But come on, Holmgren knows what he is doing, the season isnt technically over..Does he deserve more? Yes. Is that the Browns most pressing need to sign a SPECIAL TEAMER? No. Look at my Packers, our special teams is below average and we still would blow your team out of the water. Go Pack Go.

29. Ray says: Jan 7, 2010 6:12 PM

Dont you have to actually have a good year as a reciever to say your a recieving threat. What an idiot! These kids should really see what the real world is like where you have to work to earn your pay.

30. aceman309 says: Jan 7, 2010 6:14 PM

Cribbs will be back. Don,t worry.
    This is how contract talks go. The Browns make an offer, then Cribbs makes a counter- offer and then they go back and forth and eventually a deal is reached.
    If not, then we will get some more draft picks in a trade.

31. bornman3 says: Jan 7, 2010 6:14 PM

TeHDruiD says:
    January 7, 2010 5:58 PM
    ____________________
    If they have no GM, then Holmgren should have said “wait for me to hire a GM”. Instead he makes an insulting offer. Like I said last week, Holmgren is the next Matt Millen!

32. JoeSixPack says: Jan 7, 2010 6:15 PM

Cribbs has little to lose – he can risk career ending injury for low money or sit out to demand a trade.
    So the Browns keep MangIdiot and lose Cribbs.
    At first I blamed Lerner – now I have to think the Browns fans – especially those who demanded Mangini’s return – are going into a second decade of the team they deserve.

33. dlodown1 says: Jan 7, 2010 6:16 PM

This reminds me of the Devin Hester situation here in Chicago a while back. Sure wish we had that to do over…Trust me, over paying a kick returner on a team with more holes than a spaghetti strainer is not a solution. Let somebody else take on the project of turning an apple into an orange…

34. whodey5 says: Jan 7, 2010 6:16 PM

I would love to see him in Bengal stripes. But, until Hell freezes over, Mike Brown will still be in charge. It would make too much sense to get the guy, so that means Mikey won’t do it.

35. leatherneck says: Jan 7, 2010 6:17 PM

Message to Josh Cribbs: Fire your agent right now.
    Get the phone number of a long-time NFLer who you respect. Ask that person for a recommendation for a new agent. Go meet that guy and probably sign up with that new agent.
    Until all this is done, don’t make any media statements.
    I think Cribbs will be well taken care of if he does this.

36. MoD-White says: Jan 7, 2010 6:17 PM

Maybe Holmgren is thinking he can get a bunch of picks and/or players for Cribbs to help rebuild that team. But still cribbs is the browns, i mean why else would anyone watch a browns game? maybe to see the opposing team too.

37. cballlv11 says: Jan 7, 2010 6:18 PM

He was offered 14 million dollars less than Jamarcus Russell…
    I’d be pissed too!

38. Laxer37 says: Jan 7, 2010 6:19 PM

Browns go 0-16 this year if not for Cribbs. He’s the only guy on the team that scares the opponent each week.
    Gotta question a rebuilding process that begins with ditching your only top-flite player.

39. Stampede says: Jan 7, 2010 6:19 PM

Welcome to San Fancisco, Mr. Cribbs.

40. Duan says: Jan 7, 2010 6:20 PM

I think all of you made good points, he is still in his original contract, the Browns do not have a General Manager yet.
    However, I will say this again. Josh Cribbs was an undrafted free agent out of college! So he had to take the crumbs he was given to him, with the last contract.
    So you know what he did, he went and did everything but delivered the dry cleaning! C’mon man! This guy is worth $2.5 million, easy!
    Devin Hester gets double that, Josh Cribbs is going to his second pro bowl and he doesn’t make diddly squat compared to the rest of the pro bowlers. He deserves what he is asking for and what makes it so bad, the money he was asking for, was realistic!!!!!

41. BrownsTown says: Jan 7, 2010 6:20 PM

He’s not going anywhere. This is gamesmanship.

42. mamedia says: Jan 7, 2010 6:20 PM

Come to KC Cribbs. We got to know you pretty good when you ran back two on us a few weeks ago. Now that we got Weis and soon Crennel you might really be tempted.

43. Harm City Homer says: Jan 7, 2010 6:20 PM

I would take him for a 2nd round pick and give him 5 mil per. He should be a better version of Wes Welker with a half decent offense.

44. trickbunny says: Jan 7, 2010 6:20 PM

Steelers? Saints? Jags? 49ers? Give me a break.
    Put your hard-ons away, ok guys? Cribbs isn’t going anywhere. As has been already pointed out numerous times in this thread, Cribbs really isn’t in any position to make demands and Holmgren has MONTHS to get this worked out. They’re not going to let him walk. Cribbs is posturing with all the “I said goodbye to everyone” talk and personnel director Dawn Aponte is bluffing with the “$1.4m is out final offer” BS.
    Cribbs will still be a Brown next year. Get a cup to catch all that drool, ’cause he ain’t gonna be playing for your team next year.

45. TheFALZ says: Jan 7, 2010 6:21 PM

how could he not fit in with ANY scheme or plan?
    pay the man

46. beldo80 says: Jan 7, 2010 6:22 PM

if you are really good at your job and people from other “companies” know that and would like to hire you for a lot more to get your services, you have the option to accept the job offer and get paid what you think you are worth. to say you cannot tell your employer to give you a raise or you are out of there when you know someone else will definitely pay you is false – it happens every day when people take new jobs for more money. think about it. Cribbs does more for his team to win then most players on most teams and should be paid accordingly.

47. hollywoodeggers says: Jan 7, 2010 6:23 PM

all i’ve got to say is, welcome to dallas josh.
    next year is uncapped. i wouldn’t at all be suprised to see roy williams gone (cap hit or not, it really won’t matter since there is no cap to go over). josh cribbs is more worth the contract jerry gave roy than roy is. i’d be happy to make that switch. it would be nice to make felix just a back, but it would however make crayton nothing more than the slot reciever, which i think he does a good job. not great, but good. they could release sam hurd, ogletree has more upside than he does.
    jerry, make it happen.

48. Mountaindont says: Jan 7, 2010 6:23 PM

I hate it when these athletes act so childish and take things public. The reverse Psychology Cribbs is trying to use is so lame. Gee I wonder if he is saying all this crap in order to try to persuade the Browns to give him a new contract. What`s he going to do if they don`t give him a new contract? Sit out ? Yeah right !!
    Hey Cribbs, you dope, Holmgren just got their a few days ago. Give him a chance to hire a GM and get his feet planted before you start with your stupid whining and lame mind tricks.

49. Clevelander says: Jan 7, 2010 6:27 PM

This is what Cribbs said when he signed his previous six-year contract extension (which was unheard of for an undrafted special-teamer):
    “This is a dream come true for me,” Cribbs said. “I want to thank Randy Lerner, Phil Savage and Romeo Crennel for giving me this opportunity.I love the city of Cleveland, our fans and I’m excited to have the longevity of being here for the future.
    “It certainly feels good to be wanted, and now I’m motivated because I want to prove to this organization that they made the right decision.”

50. Darth Jay says: Jan 7, 2010 6:27 PM

I think a lot of people are missing the point. The fact that the KICK RETURNER is the best player on the Browns tells you had bad their problems are. What good is 27.5 yards per return when you can’t do squat after?
    Maybe if Josh Cribbs could actually do SOMETHING besides return kicks, he’d get a better offer. Getting an extra 5-7 yards after kickoff is irrelevant if you can’t get the extra 60-70 yards for a touchdown, or even 40 or so for a FG.
    There have been plenty of great kick returners over the years and they all fade away. Holmgren is doing the right thing.

51. Cardsfan81 says: Jan 7, 2010 6:29 PM

A brillant start the “Big Show” Holmgren has gotten off to in Browns town. Mangenius remains employed after demonstrating serious incompetence early in the season. The thing that really sticks in my craw as a NFL fan is the refusal of the Cleveland Browns brass to treat their players with any degree of dignity and class.
    Josh Cribbs has earned the right to a contract that’s of fair market value. Last time I checked he was the only reason to watch the Cleveland Browns. Eric Mangini and Mike Holmgren passed on the oppurtunity to send positive vibes to other Cleveland Browns players,the fan base and Joshua Cribbs. Is this a part of the winning formular that Mike Holmgren had in mind to turn around the franchise? Alienating the most talented and hardest working player on the team?
    Nice start Mike Holmgren in your new post as football czar of the Browns——really nice. This singular act alone demonstrates why the Cleveland Brows are not winners.

52. RaiderMight says: Jan 7, 2010 6:29 PM

Everyone can! :) It’s called progress through value. lol
    I did it a few years ago and got the $$. You have to be valued in order to do it. Cribbs has value and deserves it.
    I would offer him contract like the one he was offered as a returner with escalators based on his offensive play. 20 catches for under 200 yards is pretty low.
    He proved his worth as a returner, now he needs to prove it as a WR, but that doesn’t mean his salary shouldn’t be adjusted to the top returner’s contract.
    ———
    johnnydom says:
    January 7, 2010 5:54 PM
    Hey Josh:

53. Pervy_Harvin says: Jan 7, 2010 6:30 PM

lilhopo says:
    January 7, 2010 6:01 PM
    ————————————————–
    You Saints can use your 29th pick in the draft to get a return guy. – Vikings fan

54. ncDawg says: Jan 7, 2010 6:30 PM

I dont know if Josh reads this crap but as a long time season ticket holder and life long Cleveland Browns fan I have 2 things to say:
    1) Josh, Thank you for all your hard work. I appreciate it. You have played well and you are as tough as nails.
    2) Please stop the publicity stunts. You are going to lose credibility with the people who support you the most. Browns Fans. Be a smart business man and conduct your business behind closed doors. Do you think people who make $40k per year want to hear about how upset you are with a $1.4 Million offer? Please. Unemployment in Cleveland is near 15%.

55. pbuck says: Jan 7, 2010 6:33 PM

Rarely do I side with the players. This is one of those times. He does need to improve the forum in which he operates his negotiations though.

56. Deb says: Jan 7, 2010 6:36 PM

@johnnydom …
    If, as some people are saying, the team told him to give it a year and they’d renegotiate his contract, then he isn’t being a prima donna. It’s common practice in the NFL to renegotiate a contract when a player breaks out. That’s business. The teams make Billions off these guys who have a limited window of opportunity to profit from their physical talents before their talents fade or, God forbid, they get injured and lose their ability to profit altogether. Meanwhile the owners just stick another body in the slot and keep raking it in.
    I’ll never understand why so many working stiffs begrudge players their money while the owners just keep getting richer. Teams are corporations, not small businesses. Expecting the Browns to kick up the salary for the one guy who helped sell tickets during a down year is no different than expecting Microsoft to pay the workers who design the software instead of just lining Bill Gates’s pockets.

57. AlanWeiss says: Jan 7, 2010 6:36 PM

55 carries for 381 yds is 6.93 per carry…..can you imagine if he had an offensive coordinator that actually knew how to use him? Just like Eric Metcalf before him, this guy is simply a football player. He does EVERYTHING! He tackles on special teams coverage. A prima donna he is NOT. That said, both sides ARE simply posturing right now. However, in nfl terms, he should be insulted by that offer of 1.4 mil a year. Pretty sure cribbs/browns/nfl could make that much a year by simply selling Cribbs jersey.

58. Stone says: Jan 7, 2010 6:36 PM

1.4 million seems like a good deal for a kick returner that touches the ball 4.6 times a game on gimmick type plays. If Holmgren doesn’t think he fits into the West Coast Offense then I think the 1.4 million is completely fair for a return man. Granted, the guy is gifted on special teams but why spend exorbitant money against the cap for a special teams player?

59. toe-to-toe bird law says: Jan 7, 2010 6:38 PM

This is crazy. Of all people, Holmgren should understand the value of an elite kick returner/wide receiver. After all, it was Desmond Howard who had a career year for the Packers in 1996, culminating in him be voted Super Bowl MVP in Holmgren’s only Super Bowl win.

60. kovvboyzfan says: Jan 7, 2010 6:39 PM

Response to: Jose Reyes says:
    January 7, 2010 6:01 PM
    “I wish I was insulted with a $1.4MM offer.”
    “Is that millimeters?”
    Response to :johnnydom says:
    January 7, 2010 5:54 PM
    Uh…you can.
    Response to: TeHDruiD says:
    January 7, 2010 5:58 PM
    “We don’t even have a GM right now. Josh, a GM is more important than you RIGHT NOW. Once the GM is signed, you become top priority.”
    What do you think the Walrus is doing there?

61. kovvboyzfan says: Jan 7, 2010 6:41 PM

Pervy_Harvin says:
    January 7, 2010 6:30 PM
    lilhopo says:
    January 7, 2010 6:01 PM
    ————————————————–

62. Mountaindont says: Jan 7, 2010 6:42 PM

Cribbs deserves a raise but this moron needs to shut his mouth. He has zero leverage with the Browns. Holmgren just got to Cleveland a few days ago and hasnt even hired a GM yet but this fool Cribbs is whining like a baby. If I`m Holmgren I make this dunce wait until I even begin to start any new contract talks just because Cribbs has acted like a whining child.

63. CYGNUS X-1 says: Jan 7, 2010 6:43 PM

will this guy ever shut up?yea the browns by all means should stop worrying about continuing to improve the team overall and instead focus all the resources and money into making you very rich.then when they don’t have the money to sign all the picks they have and have to let people go to get under the cap it will ok because you got yours.and of coarse if you don’t have another year like this one you surely renogiate down and give some of that money back right?stop posting about this whiny bitch every day!

64. BluntTalk says: Jan 7, 2010 6:44 PM

Listen, all you guys see a crappy team and then see one or two players standout in that team, all of the sudden they are starts, i.e. Cribbs and Harrington. Go ahead buy their hype, Cribbs in a conventional above average team would be just what he thinks he is not ” a special teamer” and although I do give Harrison a little more credit, he is just a “3rd down back”… Example, how effective is Hester now with the Bears? barring the injuries which held him out for a few games, he really doesn’t scare anyone on the defense end. So Cribbs should stop sobbing like a little bitch that he is and take the money!!! Florio Hire ME!

65. tomzilla says: Jan 7, 2010 6:44 PM

Brandon Marshall and Josh Cribbs should swap teams!

66. daffy87 says: Jan 7, 2010 6:45 PM

Who was the moron who said the Browns would go 0-16 without Cribbs? Cribbs had 0 impact on the Browns in 2007 and they went 10-6.

67. lexafan says: Jan 7, 2010 6:46 PM

Why must this happen 2 days after the saviour puts his hands over Browns land. Waiy to start things off in the right direction, Mike. Alienating our best weapon and causing consternation with the most loyal fan base in the NFL just perplexes me beyond words. You could have started off with paying the man and made a huge hit with all of Cleveland. Instead start off with more controversey. O-Backs have a short pro life so who blames this stud for trying to get the best he can for himself and his family. It gauls me to see Randy’s guys pay their friends (Jets B teamers, etc) and let fired execs collect big bucks for no contribution, but then won’t give the heart and soul of the team a respectable wage. What does that say to future stars of the Browns. You can start here but you’ll end up starring for another team. So typical, so Cleveland…

68. Terry says: Jan 7, 2010 6:49 PM

He’s going nowhere! He’s got three years left on his contract;he’s simply posturing!

69. Rasputin says: Jan 7, 2010 6:50 PM

Cribbs all but carried that team for at least four weeks. You can’t build a *winning* team without leaders and that’s what Cribbs is.
    What an idiot move – losing Cribbs but keeping Mangina. Happy New Year, Cleveland.

70. ClevePhil says: Jan 7, 2010 6:56 PM

Josh, please stop whining. You’ll get your money. You’ve already made more in two years than most of us will make in a lifetime. Maybe it’s not “fair market value” for what you do, but you did sign a contract a few years ago and there is a thing called integrity. If you think you’ve been lied to, welcome to the club. I hope you get your raise and stay in Cleveland for a long time, especially if you keep up the level of play you’ve shown us. But if you do get your money and don’t perform, please remember how you’re acting now and have the courtesy to be embarrassed about it.

71. SixburghSteelers says: Jan 7, 2010 6:59 PM

@ johnnydom….
    I’m pretty sure if someone at your job made more than you, did the same job as you, and all they did was sit around all day and “act” like they were working, surfing the Internet, taking breaks etc…
    You’d be bitchin’ for more money too if you felt like you were worth it. It’s all relative my friend, the pay that is. Have you ever thought about what the “OWNERS” bring home????
    Players are rich, they ain’t wealthy!
    PAY DA MAN or some other wealthy owner will..

72. TimTheEnchanter says: Jan 7, 2010 7:01 PM

Interesting that they would only offer $1.4M/year to the best QB on their roster.

73. Skins4Lyfe says: Jan 7, 2010 7:06 PM

Can you say goodbye Mike Holmgren and hello Dan Snyder!

74. lbcoach34 says: Jan 7, 2010 7:10 PM

As a Browns fan; I love Cribbs, but look at DEVIN HESTER…he is what I would call a “return man plus” – meaning he does a lot on special teams and some wildcat…what team won a Super Bowl with this type of player???
    He is not worth what he’s asking; or what his agent has convinced him to ask for.
    If he can’t live with 1.4 million – I say trade him. I don’t want the team trapped with a contract that prevents us from signing a big time WR, FS, or LB.

75. derrtony says: Jan 7, 2010 7:11 PM

Desmond Howard comment is funny.. You remember what happened to him after his MVP game? He was a free agent, Holmgrem AND Wolf did not see any need to pay a special teamer, they let him go to Oakland where he was never to be heard from again other than when he was traded to Detriot. Also remember under Holmgrem AND Wolf let special teamers Chris Jacke, and Craig Hentrich(All -Pro) go because they don’t pay special teamers. This is how Holmgrem works. Sell high, stockpile picks, try to find someone that can throw the ball. Cleveland will be good in a couple years, this is what Holmgrem does.

76. Pervy_Harvin says: Jan 7, 2010 7:13 PM

kovvboyzfan says: Yeah right, like the Vikings are going to go further in the playoffs than the Saints. I bet you even bought a Favre jersey too. Yes you did…stop lying.
    ————————————————–
    Hell yah,I think the Saints have lost their shine. No Favre jersey here buckwheat,I’m a AD guy all the way!

77. chunky soupy sales says: Jan 7, 2010 7:16 PM

Love to have Cribbs in big D.

78. 1mge says: Jan 7, 2010 7:18 PM

Des Howard wanted big $ and also be a WR at Green Bay and Holmgren said he was too dumb to run the right routes. Raiders paid him the big $ and guess what…Holmgren was right.
    Cribbs, “hey Mr. Holmgren I want more $.”
    Holmgren, “hey Cribbs, I like you but let me complete my staff & then will talk.”
    Cribbs,”Hey Mr. Holmgren I want more $ NOW!”
    Holmgren, ” OK, sense you won’t wait & want an answer right now how about $1.4 mil?”
    Cribbs, “wah…wah, you insulted me I’m sitting out.”
    Holmgren, “OK, good luck paying your bills.”

79. The Jimmy says: Jan 7, 2010 7:26 PM

Kick returners have a bad habit of becoming average quickly when they get paid the big money.

80. tleg81 says: Jan 7, 2010 7:29 PM

Cribbs….Please stop killing the Steelers and join them…..Sorry Stef Logan, Get a new job, WE WANT CRIBBS!!!

81. johnnydom says: Jan 7, 2010 7:32 PM

@Deb+Sixburg
    Are you two stupid, the owners do what they want. At the end of the day an athlete is a commodity and is replaceable. If you really think that Cribbs is unreplaceable watch and see.
    The players are well paid and well taken care of, the difference between me at my job and Cribbs at his is that I don’t have people watching me every Sunday.
    If I bitched about pay I’d be gone, I am willing to let someone “insult ” me for $1.4 Mill a year.
    If the Bowns overpay for a special teamer and leave the HUGE gaping holes go so that we can pay 1 player who touches the ball a few times a game is stupid.

82. broncosfan1129 says: Jan 7, 2010 7:33 PM

i’m sure now we are gonna here about how he’s going to pittsburgh? lol. yeah right. in your dreams steeler fans.

83. tacious says: Jan 7, 2010 7:38 PM

Can someone please explain why Cribbs deserves some ridiculous contract? (1) very good-to-great season means nothing more than (1) very good-to-great season. Look at Antonio Cromartie… he was amazing for (1) year; now, he’s just another CB in the NFL.
    Josh Cribbs is nothing more than this years Devin Hester… do it for a few years bitch, and then ask to get paid!

84. steveinohio says: Jan 7, 2010 7:42 PM

Good show Browns. You tell that player. You don’t need that hassle. Tell you what…I’ll do you a favor and take him off your hands for you.
    sighned,
    every other team in the league.

85. lbcoach34 says: Jan 7, 2010 7:43 PM

I would much rather take the money that Cribbs and his agent are asking for and give it to BRANDON MARSHALL in a multi-year contract!!!
    I say “farewell” back to Josh Cribbs

86. jrg1263 says: Jan 7, 2010 7:44 PM

Excellent post clevelander!
    Cribbs did not carry this team those last four games. He contributed, Yes, but it was the running game and the improved defense that made the difference. One player in the NBA can’t win a championship let alone one in the NFL, you have to have a surrounding cast.
    The Browns need to concern themselves with increasing the talent on offense and defense, you can’t do that if your overpaying for a special teamer.
    Renegotiating a contract with 3 years left sets a bad example to the rest of the players. If they give in to his demands then it will create chaos with every contract they have going forward. Some guy will sign a contract and have one good year and start demanding a new contract. Cribbs didn’t complian after 3 good years, he complained after 1. When you sign a contract it’s binding, for 6 years in this case. Nobody put a gun to his head and said sign. Cribbs was more than happy to sign that contract 3 years ago. But this is now 2 years in a row he has complained about his contract.
    How valuable is he? He’s the greatest kick returner ever and yet the Browns have had 3 losing seasons.
    Holmgren is making the right move.

87. nightfox says: Jan 7, 2010 7:46 PM

Ya know why this clown isn’t getting paid? Because the only thing he’s really done for this team is return kicks. And Holmgren knows that the shelf life of stellar kick returners is very short. Hello, Dante Hall? Devin Hester? These guys fade as quickly as they sprout. And Cribbs himself knows it, which is why he’s whining for a raise now, ‘cuz he knows in three years he’ll have a fork in him.

88. lbcoach34 says: Jan 7, 2010 7:55 PM

As for Cirbbs… look at how Devin Hester is working out for Chicago.
    Is he worth it?
    Not to me. I love Cribbs, but from the business side of things; you have to be smart here with Cribbs. It’s difficult for the organization because we can’t get burned like Chicago has with Hester(who failed as DB, and I would say is below average as far WRs go – he should be full time return man – either way, the Bears have to live with that contract). And it is even harder to determine the fair market value for a Pro Bowl special teamer/Wildcat QB.
    Still “pay da man” – not over-pay da man!
    or If I were Holmgren, I would take he money that Cribbs wants; package it up into a multi-year contract and give it to BRANDON MARSHALL!!!

89. xacvol says: Jan 7, 2010 7:57 PM

@johnnydom
    johnnydom – “I would like the ability to tell my employer: give me a raise or I’m outta here.”
    You do have that ability. Now if they meet your demands or not, that would be based on your performance and what value managment puts on your contributions.
    Oh, and if NFL players do underperforme, than can be cut and the contract not completley honored.

90. JayMan says: Jan 7, 2010 8:03 PM

How good are Devin Hester and Dante Hall now? Kick returners tend to be a flash in the pan… they seldom string more than two excellent seasons together. They always try to take that next step to a marque position like wr, rb. And then everyone is reminded why they were on special teams to begin with.
    There have been exceptions, but they are just that… certainly not the rule. If he thinks he is worth so much he should ask his agent to get him a highly incentive based contract.

91. LJ says: Jan 7, 2010 8:05 PM

Keep in mind too that Cleveland has been wasting a roster spot for two years now in order to protect a guy who is strictly a kick returner, Gerard Lawson. They’re obviously high on him or they wouldn’t continue to keep him on the roster but not dress him. His main work has come in preseason games and he can definitely return kicks. If the Browns decide to sell high on Cribbs, his replacement is already on the roster.

92. RichieBugs83 says: Jan 7, 2010 8:07 PM

Maybe Josh should have hired a big boy agent to begin with.

93. Huskersrule says: Jan 7, 2010 8:11 PM

Well your not Jerry Rice Mr. Cribbs so don’t let the door hit you in the butt on the way out…..wait a minute……you are still under contract for 3 years! You will leave when you are excused, or work at burger time. Your choice.

94. kosarsmyidol says: Jan 7, 2010 8:14 PM

Phil Dawson also wanted a new deal, and he has been in the media all…Wait. Nevermind. Dawson was money all year (except when out with an injury for a few weeks) and hasn’t mentioned his contract since. Use that extra $0.4 million and bump up Dawson’s salary. Let Cribbs sit and put Gerard Lawson on kickoffs if need be.

95. MikeW says: Jan 7, 2010 8:15 PM

i don’t get this. you sign a 6 year contract. the length of the contract wasn’t lerner or Savage’s decision, it was yours.
    If you would’ve been smart, you would’ve signed a shorter contract. But you wanted a 6 year contract because of the guaranteed money. it was your idea(or atleast your agents) for the 6 year deal.
    the bad thing is, he wanted to re-do his contract last year too. 2 years into a 6 year deal and he wanted to restructure it.
    Sorry dude, but when you wanted the lengthy contract for your financial reasons, you can’t turn around and want a new contract when your idea backfired.
    You’ll get your new contract if you shut your mouth, but you’re trying to get leverage and you have none. oh by the way, Cleveland doesn’t need to trade you either, you’re only due $635,000 if you sit out, they’ll gladly eat that before they deal you just to deal you.
    If Cleveland trades you, it would be a move to ultimately benefit the Browns. If they don’t feel they’re getting atleast equal value, they’ll just sit on your contract.

96. Bigbluefan says: Jan 7, 2010 8:15 PM

I hope they hold his ass to his contract FU you signed a contract now live with it
    You have a good year and the world is going to change no
    Do not trade him if he fail to show for the Browns fine his ass
    Another damn Diva thinking he is better then the game
    You have a damn contract now stfu and go to work

97. ChrisJohnsonEnglishProfessor says: Jan 7, 2010 8:17 PM

I did a really good job at work the last 2 months. Can I have a raise too? Oh and I only had a little less than 100 yards receiving than Cribbs even though I never played a down. Seriously? You signed the contract, you should honor. The browns aren’t honoring a verbal contract that Cribbs said they offered? Well Cribbs isn’t honoring a written contract HE SIGNED. Greedy Millionaires piss me off. Can I have some of that money to pay my bills? Probably not

98. Deb says: Jan 7, 2010 8:21 PM

@johnnydom …
    No, I am not stupid. Perhaps if you’d paid more attention, you would have understood that I was simply saying he’s not being a prima donna . I was not suggesting the Browns pay him more than he’s worth. I think that if they promised to renegotiate his contract, then they should evaluate what a Pro Bowl special-teamer who excites the fans and has the potential to contribute in other ways is worth and pay him accordingly. No, I do not think he’s worth the same as, say, a QB or running back who handles the ball many more times a game.
    NFL players earn what they do because they have a unique set of physical skills that is not easily replaced. Most of us aren’t in that position, which is why we earn less and have to take it or leave it. That’s just the way it is.
    @broncosfan1129 … No, I don’t expect Cribbs to come to Pittsburgh because he’s under contract to Cleveland. They’d have to be willing to trade him to a division rival, which is unlikley. We’d have to be willing to give up big things to get him. Given our other needs, that’s also unlikely.

99. SixburghSteelers says: Jan 7, 2010 8:26 PM

“Most Steelers are smart enough to know these things. Apparently Broncos fans aren’t.”
    Good one Deb

100. DayAllOnJuice says: Jan 7, 2010 8:27 PM

If I were the Browns I’d seriously consider seeing what kind of market there is for him and consider trading him if it’s good.
    And to my fellow Steeler fans, there is no way the Browns trade Cribbs to a team in the same division, especially the team they consider their biggest rival. There’s also no way the Steelers are going to invest a lot of money in a guy whose primary value is being a kick returner. That kind of move is for the Dan Snyders of the NFL.

101. Bazooka Joe says: Jan 7, 2010 8:33 PM

johnnydom says:
    January 7, 2010 5:54 PM
    Hey Josh:

102. Fike Mlorio says: Jan 7, 2010 8:43 PM

“I’ll never understand why so many working stiffs begrudge players their money while the owners just keep getting richer. Teams are corporations, not small businesses.”
    ———-
    Nice attempted business lesson, but corporations *are* businesses. Small, large, one employee, one hundred thousand employees, it doesn’t matter–there is no size distinction that defines a “corporation”, which is simply a legal construct. Furthermore, based on the number of employees and annual revenues, individual clubs may very well be considered small businesses depending on the metric used.
    As for “begrudging players their money while the owners just keep getting richer”… I don’t know who’s begrudging, I guess some folks will, some could care less. Ironic that you begrudge the owners getting richer, but fail to recognize the players do as well. They all get richer. Trying to draw some imaginary distinction is, much like the “corporations, not small business” quip, ignorant. Not really surprising, considering how loaded with class envy the comment is, though.

103. Pockets Straight says: Jan 7, 2010 8:48 PM

@kovvboyzfan, no, millimeter would be mm. MM would be Mega-meters

104. ChrisJohnsonEnglishProfessor says: Jan 7, 2010 8:55 PM

@ Bazooka Joe
    Why the hell did you have to make this a race issue with johnnyDom? What does it matter who is white or black. And what if he isn’t even white? He could be black, asian, or even native american. And why is Black capitalized and not White? And it is Josh’s fault he signed a contract for less money then apparantly he thinks he’s worth. Maybe he should of had the forsight to know his Black ass could make more money than a million dollars a year?
    You’re attempt to place the race card is the simply uncalled for.

105. ACDC84 says: Jan 7, 2010 8:56 PM

With all due respect, Josh, you shouldn’t have signed your current contract if you felt that strongly about your skills.

106. JoeSixPack1 says: Jan 7, 2010 9:01 PM

Schau3r says:
    January 7, 2010 6:11 PM
    There’s no doubt in my mind I would blow your team. Go Pack Go.

107. Fike Mlorio says: Jan 7, 2010 9:03 PM

# Bazooka Joe says: January 7, 2010 8:33 PM
    “because a Black man is making more in one game than your dumb white ass will make in a lifetime.”
    ———–
    Wow.
    Who knew black or white had anything to do with it?
    Thanks for outing yourself as a racist, Bazooka Joe.

108. dlmcc0909 says: Jan 7, 2010 9:03 PM

“Wahhh!! Wahhh!!! It’s not Josh’s fault you have a shitty job and no direction in your life. Who gives a shit about what you or the average fan makes? Obviously it is enough for your dumbass to buy a ticket to a game, so quit with your whining because a Black man is making more in one game than your dumb white ass will make in a lifetime.”
    This is disgusting. Racist people like yourself should be forced to disable land mines for a living in Afghanistan.
    On a football note, Cribbs played this year under the assumption they would rework his deal if he performed. The man went above and beyond on the football field and had a ridiculous year. He deserves a much bigger raise and im glad his comments were classy considering he was probably upset. Hope he gets a great offer from whatever lucky team that signs him

109. Hooj says: Jan 7, 2010 9:08 PM

lots of respect for Cribbs. Anyone who plays at a very high level on a totally lousy team (steven jackson) deserves his props, and in this case, his money.

110. Farves sweet Hair says: Jan 7, 2010 9:09 PM

isn’t it amazing how this countys professional teams in all sports let their player dictate what they will do. WHAT A SAME!

111. phinzilla says: Jan 7, 2010 9:20 PM

South Florida sure is a nice place to live!!!!

112. bluestree says: Jan 7, 2010 9:21 PM

@Deb; I think the thing johnnydom is reacting to is your statement;
    Both white and blue collar workers have been sold on the idea that is was the worker himself, and his agent Big Government, that is to blame for any deterioration of the American landscape. Big corporations are posited as individual entrepreneurial endeavors, rather than huge pyramidical organizations pulling wealth upwards to an ever narrowing top, in order to be perceived as sympathetic.
    Or, maybe he’s a douchebag.

113. Terry says: Jan 7, 2010 9:31 PM

6 year contract with NO incentives or escalators? What agent put this kid in this deal? Your stuck ma man; three more years. Take the new deal and put some reachable incentives,playtime bonuses and escalators in. If you can play another position besides return specialist the escalator clause will kick in and you’ll get paid if not 1.4 aint bad to return only!

114. Reginald says: Jan 7, 2010 9:40 PM

This reaks of the Anquan Boldin situation from last year. Cribbs isn’t going anywhere.

115. johnnydom says: Jan 7, 2010 9:45 PM

Bazooka Joe:
    “Wahhh!! Wahhh!!! It’s not Josh’s fault you have a shitty job and no direction in your life. Who gives a shit about what you or the average fan makes? Obviously it is enough for your dumbass to buy a ticket to a game, so quit with your whining because a Black man is making more in one game than your dumb white ass will make in a lifetime”.
    I am shocked that you turned this into a race issue, this is why this country is divided between black & white. I never mentioned my race which is of no concern to this topic, my point is that if I complained on my job they would say see you later.
    For a player under contract for 3 more years to say that they promised me a better deal then I guess that there is 2 sides to that story. Cribbs side and the Browns’s side and the truth is in the middle.
    It is ashame that this website is for fans to express their opinions and somehow it has turned into a racist site due to your ignorant comments.
    I appreciate the comments from smart educated fans that know what I was referring to in my previous posts.

116. Deb says: Jan 7, 2010 9:50 PM

@Fike Mlorio …
    Well, Mr. Condescending, if you’d read the @johnnydom at the top of my post and gone back to his original comment, you’d know who was bedgruding and you’d understand the context of my reply to him. It’s a little hard to see how you missed it, but apparently you were in too big a hurry to demonstrate your business acumen.
    Yes, thank you, as a sole proprietor who has worked for major multinational corporations as well as being an officer in the incorporated small businesses of various family members, I’m well-versed in the difference. No, I do not suffer from class envy. While I recognize that there are socio-economic distinctions in society, money doesn’t happen to be my poison and I consider class a matter of behavior.
    I don’t begrudge the owners getting richer. I simply get irritated at people like johnnydom who begrudge the players getting richer–as though they’re taking money out of the pockets of the little people. That’s why I made the “small business” comment. Workers should be compensated for the value they bring to the enterprise. Isn’t that the capitalist way?
    Now if you’ll excuse me, my team is playing in the National Championship game and I don’t have anymore time to waste humoring you and your ego.
    Roll Tide!!!!

117. kpweaver27 says: Jan 7, 2010 9:50 PM

I just think it was silly for Holmgren to even address Cribbs right now, when the Browns had SOME optimism. He should have been patient. But just as Mangini and Rogers got off to a sour start, I think Cribbs will be back. Too important to not retain.

118. FumbleNuts says: Jan 7, 2010 9:55 PM

Trade him to the Seahawks for Matt Hasselbeck.

119. TheDPR says: Jan 7, 2010 9:55 PM

That team just keeps on making bad moves. Keeps a coach who has never won anything anywhere as a head coach. Hires a guy to run the team who has never successfully run any team anywhere (but was a damn good coach). And annually alienates its best player, Josh Cribbs.
    What a horrible franchise. I’m glad I’m not a fan.

120. hizzle1281 says: Jan 7, 2010 10:00 PM

KC will take him

121. DaDawg26 says: Jan 7, 2010 10:05 PM

Huge Browns fan, who would love to see Cribbs paid and stay with the program……… BUT:
    A) You have terrible agents who are too worried about negotiating in the media. That is not only mistake number 1 with Holmgren, but your fan base will not back you in this fashion either. And it isn’t your first time doing it.
    B) You, yourself, need to stay off the message boards. Twitter, Facebook, Myspace, whatever. You are a big boy on the football field. Take the contract you want from your agents, research the top 10 returners in the NFL’s salaries and put it on paper, and take it straight to Holmgrens office. Look the bull in the eyes and grab his horns. This is what you feel you have earned? This is what supports your family for the rest of their lives if necessary? I suggest you grow your ass up and take matters into your own hands and do it in person.
    Dump your ignorant agents that got you to sign that original contract and take this matter up in person with the new chief of police in Berea. Quit your whining and crying in the media and on the message boards. It makes fans like myself, who love everything about you and the Brown/Orange sick to our stomachs. If you don’t think Holmgren appreciates a Special Teamer like you, sell him like your coach did on why he should pay you!
    Enough acting like a little girl. Take off that T-Bar, put your Buddy Lee Dungarees on, and see the Chief one on one!

122. Chief3 says: Jan 7, 2010 10:06 PM

I get so sick of all these spoiled athletes acting like some junior high school kid. If I were Mike Holmgran Cribbs had better be running through t he locker room grabbing his crap on the way out of the door. I wouldn’t put up with his type of attitude for a second even if he could guarantee me ten touchdowns a game. To me the real cause of the player acting like they do is not their fault its the owners fault for allowing them to get away with it. The alleged professional athletes are just like your kids they will do just exactly what you will let the do.

123. Favre On HGH says: Jan 7, 2010 10:18 PM

______________
    Considering who was the QB’s this year that is pretty impressive. He is just plain scary in the open field and running reverses.
    Simply a stunt though, not hard to see that after everything else he has done.

124. urabozoo says: Jan 7, 2010 10:21 PM

My question is, if Cribbs whines and no one cares, does it still make a sound?

125. GoBrowns19 says: Jan 7, 2010 10:24 PM

Jeez, I’m kinda stupid and I know that Cribbs is going to get the contract he wants. Why won’t he shut up?? This is going to get more embarrassing for him to come back.

126. redfish says: Jan 7, 2010 10:24 PM

These 3 yrs left on the contract are unguaranteed… meaning no value… why should he honor that? The club has no obligation to honor it. Crazy permutation of the CBA.

127. Canyonero says: Jan 7, 2010 10:25 PM

Cribbs’ timing is excellent.
    Whatever he’s saying is getting attention and that’s good, but see he’s putting his foot down hard the second Holmgren arrives on campus, and that’s just excellent timing.
    You have to believe the paltry offer was a first gesture by the Browns – stupid move anyway – and that Cribbs knows it, and is trumpeting good-byes to quicken things along.
    Gotta love that he called out for the equipment managers!
    Pay the man Holmgren & Lerner Family!!

128. bluestree says: Jan 7, 2010 10:26 PM

@Fike Mlorio; Empty word play. What you categorize as class envy could easily be considered as a sense of fairness. The bulk of your response is semantical, and the class envy remark is condescending. You do not address the fundamental point. Answer this question;
    Why, if the owners are able to make as much as they want by the means they determine, shouldn’t the players seek to make as much as they want by the means they determine? Like by organizing.

129. fleet10 says: Jan 7, 2010 10:33 PM

Everyone, especially Cribbs’ agents, need to chill the F out about his contract. Holmgren just took the F’ing job on Monday or Tuesday, and had decisions to make about Mangini and a GM. Sorry Cribbs, but your not the top priority, though I love ya. You’ll get your money, dude, chill the F out. You’re the Browns MVP, as well as their most popular, you’re not going anywhere, and the Browns, with Holmgren at the helm, are not gonna go out fishing for free agents while your making less than Andre Davis of the Texans and Roscoe Parrish of the Bills, who are both just return men. (I know their both WR, but they certainly don’t line up in the Wildcat, at RB, and WR, and return punts, kicks, and play coverage on special teams.), are making more than you. You’ll get paid, dawg. Holmgren, Mangini, and everyone in Cleveland, (as well as everyone around the league now) know you’re value. I only ask you don’t bite the hand that feeds you with all this “I’m cleaning out my locker” shat.

130. footballisfun says: Jan 7, 2010 10:57 PM

Wow, some of you are ridiculous with this. This is not as apples to oranges as you think.
    I’m a teacher, I don’t make a lot of money but there are definitely some choices out there. At the end of every school year there are ultimately some job openings in any economy, but anyways I opened a paper and looked around and talked to some people to see what other towns are paying and I thought long and hard about going to a different school, to make more money.
    Thats right I would quit my job and take another one for more money! That’s life! Now as it is I didn’t leave my current job because I’m comfortable in my environment, have some great kids coming up and a great staff aroud me so why mess it up. As many free agents do, the “home town discount”
    There are actually people who get paid as headhunters and recruiters. They get hired by businesses to find promising talent for office jobs. They take these up and coming professionals and find them better jobs/benefits.
    And blue collar America can change contracts too. I just refinanced my house. I originally signed on for one interest rate, now after a couple of hurdles I have a much better interest rate. I even redid this contract 6 years into a 30 year “contract”
    Welcome to capitalism boys and girls. If you want to complain about what talented, sought after people make go start a commune somewhere. Capitalism rewards people with valuable skill sets.

131. ALLDAY says: Jan 7, 2010 10:58 PM

he is a good return man, but seriously though look at his numbers on offense, guys have more yards than that in a span of three or four games.

132. rodgerdodger19 says: Jan 7, 2010 11:12 PM

Dont anyone think that Mike Holmgren has alot to do with this team?The man just got here and Cribbs and his agent want to start talking right away.The Browns have the whole off season to work on his contract.I think a general manger and the head coach are more important right now.Dont get me wrong I think Cribbs needs a new contract just not right now.

133. KennyPowers says: Jan 7, 2010 11:38 PM

Haha…Bazooka Joe is a huge POS.
    Josh Cribbs will get his cash soon enough. He needs to:
    A) Fire his agent, who released his own letter directed to the Browns front office to the Cleveland media. If I were Josh, I’d beat the pi$$ out of him and them fire him. What a joke.
    B) Then I’d hire a new agent who would do what agents do…counter offer the obvious low ball offer by the Browns…say 3.5 million per year.
    C) The Browns will then counter and they’ll go back and forth until they reach an agreement.
    This is how these things go, but his agent is obviously an amateur and is making a big deal out of nothing. Fans oblivious to how the process works think the Browns are being cheap a-holes, but that just shows your ignorance.
    But wow, bazooka joe…what a loser

134. GobiasINC_1 says: Jan 7, 2010 11:39 PM

When Holmgren was hired he is a genius. Then this idiot makes an obviously emotional statement because the man that won a Super Bowl, his new boss, didn’t make him the top priority and you Browns fans say that Mike Holmgren is a moron? People, in case you don’t know how successful NFL teams are run, which you clearly do not, a team needs a GM. Mike Holmgren is trying to find a GM that can work with himself and Mangini. Once the GM is in place, I’m sure Whiney Cribbs will get his attention.
    But really, send this clown to Lions or another sinking ship, Coach Holmgren. That’s all he deserves.
    And Bazooka Joe is an idiot, just like his pal Josh.

135. jaydee327 says: Jan 7, 2010 11:56 PM

bazooka joe….is that you, tony dungy?

136. tatum32 says: Jan 8, 2010 12:08 AM

Dude, could you like wait until…Mangini is either fired or kept, and for Holmgren to name a GM before you fire off trade demands?
    I mean, when is the free agent period – March?! WTF is he on about?

137. Ches says: Jan 8, 2010 12:16 AM

Here is the thing about Cribbs.
    While he does deserve more than 1.4 mill… he also has to understand that he really doesn’t have much leverage.
    Things are just getting started there. There will be more deals. Also he is getting paid very little right now, and him holding out for the next whatever years wouldn’t really be a big thorn in the Browns side. I think this is just a way for Cribbs to get some attention on the matter so he does get some good money.
    I don’t know how much more simply because he really doesn’t a “position” aside from KR.

138. SixburghSteelers says: Jan 8, 2010 12:32 AM

@ Deb…
    “Roll Tide!!!”
    I usually like most of your post but NOT the one above!
    My Horns had yall scared shitless until that OLB from TEXAS drilled Gilbert, poor guy.
    OTOH, Cribbs still needs to paid, more $$$…not overpaid, but paid more.

139. RaiderhateR4Life says: Jan 8, 2010 1:33 AM

140. Deb says: Jan 8, 2010 1:39 AM

@SixburghSteelers …
    Well, I wasn’t exactly terrified, but did have a nervous flashback to Frank Reich LOL Of course, as a Steelers fan, you know that’s what OLBs do ;-)
    Seriously, though, mad props to the Longhorns on the field, especially Gilbert, for their fight. Really don’t mean to offend–so don’t yell at me–but too bad your starting QB is no Big Ben. There’s hurt and there’s dinged. Not a Gator fan by any means, but Tebow would have played that game. Wouldn’t be surprised if McCoy’s NFL stock dropped a little.

141. ChrisJohnsonEnglishProfessor says: Jan 8, 2010 5:10 AM

this is all because i’m white and he is black!!!! right bazooka joe? I’m outraged

142. MR.B says: Jan 8, 2010 5:36 AM

PAY THE MAN! NOW THIS IS WHY THE BROWNS WILL ALWAYS BE LOSERS!

143. McNabb2JacksonAllDay says: Jan 8, 2010 5:37 AM

I know a lot of Browns fans are pissed, but wait. Holmgren has a winning formula, he used it to win a super bowl and a NFC title in Green Bay and another NFC title in Seattle. He knows what he’s doing, Cribbs may be used to collect good draft picks to be used in the future and if Holmgren doesn’t get what he wants for Cribbs then he will give him a serious offer. Holmgren may be a lot of things but dumb is not one of them.

144. mr.football says: Jan 8, 2010 6:16 AM

ncDawg took the words right out of my mouth (Jan 07, 6:30pm).
    “Hey Cribbs, just be lucky you still have a job. If you learn to shut up, you won’t give people ideas to trade you or cut you in a very competitive league. Holmgren is watching you. Try not to find yourself unemployed. It doesn’t pay very well.”

145. DonTerrelli says: Jan 8, 2010 7:08 AM

Hey Dummy, that’s what contracts are for. If you didn’t like the one you signed, then why’d you sign it? You still have how many years left on your contract?

146. sand0 says: Jan 8, 2010 8:23 AM

He averaged 7 yards per reception. Meh. But rushing he averaged about 7 yards per attempt with many of those in the red zone, which tells me he was a bit under utilized.
    The dude is 26 years old. He is somewhat of a star. He needs to get paid more than 1.4 mil so I don’t blame him for not liking that.
    You can argue that he should honor his contract but that really isn’t how it works these days.

147. SixburghSteelers says: Jan 8, 2010 8:33 AM

@RaiderhateR4Life…
    “So Josh Cribbs threatens a hold out and everyone has his back, but when crabtree does it everyone calls him a “diva” … typical American hypocrisy”
    That’s mainly because Crabtree hadn’t done ANYTHING at the NFL level. I think the NFL should have a rookie cap anyway, prove yourself first, then get paid…like Josh Cribbs

148. mixman34 says: Jan 8, 2010 9:43 AM

And NOW we know why the Browns suck so bad year after year. Best player on the team for 1.4M?!?!?! HAHA that is a slap in the face.

149. contraryguy says: Jan 8, 2010 10:15 AM

the people who think Cribbs is just a kick returner, or who dwell on stats alone, are missing the point. Cribbs is the kind of exciting player that gets tickets sold. Living in the middle of Ohio I am surrounded by Browns, Bengals and Steeler fans every Sunday at the bar and when Cribbs is about to receive a kickoff, or take a wildcat snap, everybody stops to watch. There aren’t many players in the league you could say that about, and you can bet the owners with the fattest wallets know that.

150. Deb says: Jan 8, 2010 12:21 PM

@RaiderhateR4Life …
    SixburghSteelers answered the fundamental stupidity of your post, but I’m curious: Since you have such a problem with “American hypocrisy,” just what non-hypocritical nation do you call home?

151. Brohamma says: Jan 8, 2010 12:54 PM

BB and the Pats won’t let someone with his all-around ball skills slip past.
    We are already dangrously thin at the WR spot and with Welker being out there is a spot open on the special teams side of the house in the return department. Great YAC and return yardage are needed.
    Join a winning team Cribbs… have your agent contact New England and see the fun side of playing football again!

152. RaiderhateR4Life says: Jan 8, 2010 3:56 PM

Sixburghsteelers, I agree absolutely there should be a cap for rookies but to say Cribbs has proved himself outside the return game is BS. He works great from the wild cat but outside of that his receiving skills are below par. I think the goodell should fine punks that say they will hold out.
    @Deb- don’t question my loyalty to my country I represent this country to the fullest. When I say “typical American hypocrisy” I’m talking about the dumbass statements American people say… Saying you’re going to hold out is bull shit rookie or not.

153. PatricktheDookie says: Jan 8, 2010 3:59 PM

We’ll take Cribbs in Denver. I’d have no problem paying through the nose for this guy!

154. Deb says: Jan 8, 2010 5:09 PM

@RaiderhateR4Life …
    Look, I don’t agree with anything you’ve said, but I didn’t question your loyalty to your country. I simply asked what country you call home.
    You may not realize it, but PFT has readers from several other countrys who happen to be fans of American football–and I thought by the phrasing of your comment that you were one of them. I was only planning to point out that hypocrisy isn’t a uniquely American trait.
    But being a loyal American, I’m sure you already know that.

155. ChrisJohnsonEnglishProfessor says: Jan 8, 2010 10:03 PM

This has nothing to do with hypocrisy. this has to do with greed, and ever average normal NFL fan getting fed up with grown men and women playing a child’s game that we all love to play or watch ourselves. its ridiculous to me to think that for ANY job that over 1 million dollars isn’t enough money. hell the PRESIDENT of this country doesn’t even make that much a year. whether you think he is doing a good job or not, he is still running a COUNTRY. not running back kickoffs for a 5-11 team.

156. Deb says: Jan 9, 2010 12:01 AM

Okay, ChrisJohnsonEnglishButNotEconomicsProfessor …
    So we limit all NFL players to $1 mill because they play a game “we all love to play or watch ourselves” and that’s the max ANY job should merit because, hey, they’re not running a country.
    I’ll buy that.
    But the teams are still bringing in all that money. And if it’s not going to the players, where’s it going? To the owners and the league. And after they pay their employees and overhead, the rest becomes their take-home pay–and it’s a heckuva-sight higher than $1 mill a year.
    The last time I checked, Dan Snyder and Jerry Jones and Lerner weren’t running a country, either. Heck, they’re not even playing a game “we all love to play or watch ourselves.” And now, thanks to your $1 mill cap on all the players, they’re making even MORE than they were before.
    What makes them so special in your eyes? Lerner’s not running a COUNTRY. He’s just running a 5-11 team. Why, under your system, should he get even more money than he’s making now while all his players are capped at $1 mill?

157. hizzle1281 says: Jan 9, 2010 12:08 AM

when he decided to play this year………….we all thought that he deserved the $$ cuz he didnt talk about it.
    now look at him

158. dubs7_2000 says: Jan 9, 2010 11:25 AM

Welcome to Cleveland…
    What a joke this guy is…Can The big unit (Hole-in-the-head) holligram…..play cause Cribbs CAN…the ONLY thing that worked in Cleveland is leaving…..just like LeBron will be leaving after this year.
    What a loser…keeps the coach and gets rid of one of the best 5 players in the NFL…
    Welcome to CLEVELAND…the city of losers!!