Gannon rescinds offer to help JaMarcus

After former Raiders quarterback Rich Gannon said that he’d love to help current Raiders quarterback JaMarcus Russell, Raiders senior executive John Herrera smacked the offer down by saying, “It’s Rich that needs the help.”

Today Gannon said on his Sirius radio show that he was surprised by the harsh reaction to a sincere offer of assistance, and that he won’t make such an offer again.

You know, it’s amazing,” Gannon said, per David White of the San Francisco Chronicle. “You try just to reach out to somebody and say something, that maybe you can help a young guy, and you get criticized for it.”

Gannon said he simply viewed Russell as a quarterback who might benefit from talking to someone who’s been there before, but that he won’t try to interfere if he isn’t wanted.

“I just was really looking at a young guy that’s really struggled and just thought that I could reach out to help him out,” Gannon said. “I was just looking to figure out a way to go out there and share with them some of the things that helped me as a player and prepare and get myself ready not only for the season but for games each week. I’ve done it with Aaron Rodgers and I’ve done it with quarterbacks in Tampa and Minnesota. But, hey, trust me, I won’t make that call again.”

And so the quarterback who completed 67.6 percent of his passes for the Raiders in 2002 will not be offering any advice to the quarterback who completed 48.8 percent of his passes for the Raiders in 2009.

Permalink 64 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Oakland Raiders, Rumor Mill, Sprint Football Live - Rumors, Top Stories
64 Responses to “Gannon rescinds offer to help JaMarcus”
  1. Festivus says: Jan 7, 2010 2:21 PM

2. CaseyInKC says: Jan 7, 2010 2:23 PM

Hey Rich, come back to KC and show Cassell a few pointers would ya?

3. AlanSaysYo says: Jan 7, 2010 2:24 PM

Could it be any clearer that Herrera is only interested in keeping his job while Al Davis at the helm of the organization? I’ve never heard any instance of this guy doing anything remotely intelligent.

4. DeionBitesOnDoubleMoves says: Jan 7, 2010 2:24 PM

I don’t know if Gannon has much to offer JaMarcus in terms of the physical part of playing QB in the NFL, but the guy’s won an MVP and was able to have a long and pretty productive career by always being ready for games and being dedicated to his craft. I think whatever advice Gannon can give JaMarcus or any QB with the Raiders would definitely go a long way, but it’s too bad the organization is too blind to see their “QB of the future” needs more than just Gannon’s advice.

5. Rasputin says: Jan 7, 2010 2:27 PM

One thing which helped Brady develop was having veteran QB’s like Flutie and Testaverde around to learn from and just talk to. Really settled him down. I’d think the Raiders would want help anywhere they could get it.

6. indpa67 says: Jan 7, 2010 2:27 PM

Yeah – it’s Rich that needs the help. They have a bunch of money tied up in a guy that is obviously lost playing in the NFL. They should welcome all the help they can get. This explains a lot about the last 5 years in Oakland.

7. netdawg says: Jan 7, 2010 2:28 PM

Thank you Al Davis and Co for making me feel like the Cleveland Browns front office “gets it” compared to you guys…
    …That’s just friggen AMAZING!

8. RickeyRick says: Jan 7, 2010 2:28 PM

Jamarcus is worthless and fits in perfectly in Oakland. He’ll be gone and Al Davis will be on to his next bad decision in a couple years.

9. Crushitlong says: Jan 7, 2010 2:30 PM

Hopefully Russell isn’t going to be there much longer to need Gannon’s help.
    Maybe that’s what Herrera is really trying to say.

10. Jay Hanspard says: Jan 7, 2010 2:31 PM

I loved Gannon, and I think Russell is a lazy bust…but I’m with the Raiders for not doing this thing with Gannon. I don’t like “consultants”…they have ALL this good advice (said with sarcasm) but don’t have to have ANY accountability. If Paul Hackett can’t get through to him, Gannon isn’t either. Not that the Raiders had that mindset when they made this decision….but still…..

11. PiKindaGuy says: Jan 7, 2010 2:34 PM

As a Raiders fan, the actions of John Herrera is much, much more painful to see and is evident of how sad this organization has gone than DHB, Dmac, or JRuss.
    It really is like a really bad movie whenever you see this guy talk or make a public appearance, and I feel terrible for Gannon who represented all that was great in all of Raiders history.

12. wwwmattcom says: Jan 7, 2010 2:37 PM

Gannon, I appreciate your offer. Not a raiders fan, but good for you reaching out to those in need.
    Just pathetic. If I am JaMarcus I am going to try and get myself out of that broken system. I officially blame Russell for nothing, not one interception. Being surrounded by that negativity (who are supposed to be supporters) I would probably vomit.

13. huthutHUT says: Jan 7, 2010 2:38 PM

Isn’t John Herrera the guy whose head asploded over the Lane Kiffin firing?
    Oh yeah, that’s the guy. Raiders seem to have some real winners in the front office.
    link

14. The Coop says: Jan 7, 2010 2:39 PM

What makes these old, mediocre has-beens think that anyone cares what they think?
    I’m talking to you, Rich Gannon and Trent Dilfer!

15. raybin says: Jan 7, 2010 2:41 PM

Every year for the past seven years, we Raider fans have wondered after the end of yet another godawful season “Is this the year Al finally ‘gets it’?”
    We never have to wonder more than few days or a few weeks at most. Because every year, not long after the end of the season, Al does something stupid, petty and counter-productive. Good recent examples of this are calling Schefter a “false rumor mongerer” for reporting they were about to fire Art Shell just a couple days before they did exactly that and trying to force Lane Kiffin to resign rather than be fired.
    Welcome to this year’s case in point. I fully expect now Cable to be fired and whatever joke puppet is brought in to replace him will understand that he will hold a pro forma “open competition” during training camp, then announce that JaMarcus Russell will be the Day 1 starter.

16. rpiotr01 says: Jan 7, 2010 2:43 PM

What Russell really needs is a pink slip from the Raiders, then several months of sitting by a phone that never rings. A little humility might go a long way with this guy, maybe teach him a thing or two about trying to be a professional. He’ll never progress as a QB or as anything in life until he gets his act together.

17. I_Hate_Yams says: Jan 7, 2010 2:43 PM

As a Charger fan, I am happy for the success of JaMarcus Russell. I hope he re-signs after next season to a long extension. I also hope Al Davis lives another 12-15 years (at least).

18. downsouth49er says: Jan 7, 2010 2:44 PM

If you look at how JaMarcus carries himself, he seems to not really care how he performs. He’s more worried about wearing his diamond earrings during games so that people can see he’s “ballin” while not actually balling

19. snnyjcbs says: Jan 7, 2010 2:44 PM

Lets be real, when you make an offer like that, to “help coach Cable, the Raiders and J Russell” you do it without spreading your stink all over the radio before you have even been responded to.
    The one thing Gannon would not need to help Russell with is how to throw 5 picks in the big game with 2 or 3 returned for TD’s. Well maybe he might because nobody is that bad.

20. mixman34 says: Jan 7, 2010 2:44 PM

That whole organization needs to be taken down. Pry it from ol Al’s grimy grip and give it to the needy. HAHA Hey a homeless kid could run that organization better than that geriatric moron.

21. Rev. Dr. HollywoodWags says: Jan 7, 2010 2:45 PM

Jamarcus looked sharp and good in spots during the Balt game…
    But other times, he totally sucked.
    Consistency is the key for being in the league, ask Dave Kreig and Steve DeBerg…

22. cw2147 says: Jan 7, 2010 2:49 PM

Jamarcus is in a no win situation in Oakland. It’s not a normal sports organization. It is very dysfunctional..When you have a person like Herrera acting very childish instead of saying just. No thank you or no comment or whatever rather than bashing your guy who is 1 of the best qb’s the raiders ever had is shameful.
    I am embarrased to be a Raider fan right now.

23. Island says: Jan 7, 2010 2:49 PM

OK, let me break this down – you ostracise the best QB that we have had in a decade or two and saying that he needs help when he selflessly offers it, when JaWalrus Russell is well on his way to being the NFL’s biggest bust (both physically and metaphorically)?
    These must be the mental works of the quintessential biological entity, something clodded between a protozoo and an amoeba. It lives, breathes, but cannot do much else for lack of any brain cells. I cannot fathom how a front office crony (the title of senior executive doesn’t really tell you much, does it?) can be so, so,,…. forget it – I just can’t believe that I am writing something to even explain this.
    I can only share a couple of random quotes to this, just tropicalised as to the issue of my beloved Raiders;
    1. Mr. Herrera, what you’ve just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard, in rejecting a star former MVP Raider QB’s offer to help. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this forum is now dumber for having listened to it. May God have mercy on your soul.
    2. To whoever is running the pantomime of my otrora glorious Raiders: Who ever ye are, thou havest sat there too long for any good you are doing. Depart, I say, and let us have done with you. In the name of God, go!
    The only thing that I need to see now is for my Raiders to don tutus and petticoats instead of a uniform next season…

24. GTisMe says: Jan 7, 2010 2:50 PM

Ok, to those of you who think Rich could not have helped Jamarcus, I get that thought process. But I think the point of this article is that Herrera’s reaction is petty, unprofessional, and completely uncalled for. So you dont need help, fine, just say thanks but no thanks. You know, what every other front office executive from every other NFL team would have said……can’t do that though, have to embarass your fans by showing the usual classless manner indicative of this joke of a franchise. Feel bad for Oakland fans, extremely loyal and loud supporters who get to deal with these idiots running their team.

25. BenRapistberger says: Jan 7, 2010 2:50 PM

Wes Welker generated more offense than JaMarcus Russell this year. More competions, more yards, and more TDs.

26. RaiderRedleg says: Jan 7, 2010 2:52 PM

Gannon needs to reach out to himself.
    EVERYONE know the Raiders DO NOT like to operate in the open.
    By pulling this “publicity” stunt all he was attempting to do was put his name in the news.
    I mean c’mon…The guy screwed up in the Super Bowl worse than Ron Jaworski did when kept throwing the ball to Rod Martin.
    Before long he will only pop up doing a random bottom tier college bowl (like Steve Beuerlein)

27. ekgraider says: Jan 7, 2010 2:52 PM

While Herrera’s response was juvenile, I doubt Rich would help at all. I mean he helped QB’s in Tampa and Minny, and none of them are starters for any team in the league. Obviously Rich over values his tutoring services.
    Plus Al Davis was probably thinking it would be a waste of Rich’s time since Rich stated that the team will never win while Al owns the team.
    Gannon you are a prick who had a few magical years in an otherwise long and disappointing career until he joined Al Davis’ organization.
    Heaven forbid PFT would ever point that little fact out.

28. chuckaneer13 says: Jan 7, 2010 2:54 PM

There is hope for all of you Raider fans out there. This ownership situation seems hopeless for you right now just like it did for Chicago Blackhawks fans a couple of years ago. Once Bill Wirtz died, the franchise got a new lease on life. Al Davis taking a dirt nap will help to turn around this once proud franchise!

29. GirthyOne says: Jan 7, 2010 2:55 PM

While I love the name, Festivus is an idiot. Mentioning something on his show, somehow makes it an offer that isn’t serious? Gannon called the Raiders and didn’t receive a return call. You think maybe he’s not frustrated for the Raiders, as well? Just maybe someone who has played the position at the highest level, might have some insight that others don’t. Just a guess. The Raiders can do without a 4 time Pro-Bowler (3 time All-Pro) and NFL MVP trying to help. After all, what they have been doing is working well, so far.
    You must be a real fan of Herrera and Davis to respond like that. Enjoy JaMarcus “The Big Buffett” Russell continuing to be brutal.
    “Festivus says:
    January 7, 2010 2:21 PM
    If it was a serious offer he would never have brought it up on his “show” and laughed about it. Besides, what is he going to teach Russell that Paul Hacket (Gannon’s own QB coach) cant? How to throw 5 interceptions in a super bowl? STFU already Rich.”

30. sagnam says: Jan 7, 2010 2:55 PM

And what has Hackett done to garner so much faith. I’d take Gannon’s opinions on the quarterback position over any QB coach any day of the week.

31. shawnstreet says: Jan 7, 2010 2:56 PM

If Al and company spent half as much time trying to find ways to defeat the Broncs, Chiefs and Chargers as they do trying to attack former Raiders, they might win a few games.
    I’m a Raider from birth but this was the final straw. Say what you want about Gannon’s intentions. This goes way beyond that. This is Al being loyal only to Al and the fans and team be damned. That is NOT the Raiders way.

32. colonial footsoldier says: Jan 7, 2010 3:03 PM

@Festivus
    Either you are Al Davis or John Herrera or you are just a typical Raiders fan. Either way you have no idea what you are talking about. If I were a fan of the Oakland Raiders I would take any help I can get.

33. geek says: Jan 7, 2010 3:04 PM

Well said PiKindaGuy, I feel for you! Here in DC, ownership stinks, but at least Snyder’s taken the first step to recovery: admiting that he has a problem! Al Davis needs to admit that everything he knows about football has become irrelevant over the past 20 years and admit that he needs help to make it work. Until then, DHB, Dmac and JRuss will be what to expect every draft and the Raiders will have the fastest, strongest, highest paid group of children without football skills in the league.
    That said, I don’t blame the Raiders for their reaction to Gannon (although it does a lot to dispell the myth Davis tells everyone about how once a Raider, always a Raider). I’ve done my share of Monday Morning Quarterbacking, and I’ll admit being nowhere close to as qualified as Gannon. Still, he is not really doing anything more than his own version of MMQB. Everyone who follows football has an opinion to give Russell. Maybe his problem is that he’s already hearing too many opinions and not focussing on the only advise that matters: his coaches.

34. humbolt says: Jan 7, 2010 3:08 PM

John Herrera and JaMarcus Russell – taking control of the Oakland Raiders. These two inspire so much confidence and good feeling going forward. Raiders fans should be thinking Super Bowl next season.

35. jeffragnarchicken says: Jan 7, 2010 3:10 PM

The Coop says:
    January 7, 2010 2:39 PM
    I’m talking to you, Rich Gannon and Trent Dilfer!
    ===========================
    Nah, they wouldn’t know anything at all, they only played in the league, that’s all.
    The NFL is littered with head coaches and other coaches that played in the NFL.
    None of these young guys would benefit from former players experiences.
    Coop, you are an asshat.

36. mwcarolina says: Jan 7, 2010 3:13 PM

better than throwing 50 yards a game and oh year, not making the playoffs yet making more money than Mario Williams of Houston who is a much better player than Russell. Gannon may not have won a super bowl, but he did take this team to a super bowl, something that Russell can not claim.

37. Grimmlock42 says: Jan 7, 2010 3:15 PM

Gannon was our last real QB. What’s wrong with having JaJackass take a few pointers from a guy that threw the ball to Jerry Rice and Tim Brown? Gannon was only doing what a true pro would do. Pass on information that was passed on to him to the next guy. Thanks Rich, but it’s obvious the front office is pleased the way things are going. Besides that, JaJackass could care less.

38. Island says: Jan 7, 2010 3:18 PM

Just another chip in – the Raiders vs. Tampa Super Bowl, just remember who was the coach of the Bucs.
    That’s right – the Raiders were running the SAME offense that Gruden had instilled, and Gruden knew EXACTLY what Gannon’s weaknesses were. I place the blame squarely on the coaching staff for not adjusting to this subtle item. I mean, both teams were running the same offense, so Tampa’s defense was pretty much used to running/scrimmaging against the Raiders offense. After all, they did it all that season…

39. Junior says: Jan 7, 2010 3:20 PM

So he really didn’t rescind his offer, he just won’t follow up. That’s not to say Russell can’t approach him for help.
    Russell might be successful if he had 1/8th of the drive that Gannon showed during his Raider career. Unfortunately, I think that’s one of those un-teachable things, you know motivation and desire.
    Russell doesn’t have it and won’t get it, so don’t waste your time Rich.

40. Chrisbelb says: Jan 7, 2010 3:20 PM

“He’ll never progress as a QB or as anything in life until he gets his act together. ”
    ————————————————-
    I respect the guy as little as anyone else who loves football…but I couldn’t pass up the opportunity to point out the oddity of this comment. The guy’s sitting on $40 mil….he really doesn’t care what any of us think about him.
    He hasn’t done jacks#it in football worth mentioning, but I’ve never received $40 mil in guaranteed money before, so the guy seems like a pretty smashing success as far as I’m concerned. Crappy quarterback, but he’ll go far with that kind of money.
    (Yeah, and the NFL owners wonder why there are all these 1st round flops….if you’re already a success the day you get drafted, what do you have left to really work for? Being even MORE rich?)

41. Big Stretch says: Jan 7, 2010 3:20 PM

Until the day that Al Davis dies or is no longer able to “run” things in Oakland the Raiders will continue to be a laughing stock. Since Gruden left they have a record of 40-88 and that includes the 2002 season, Gannon’s last full season, where they went 11-5 and to the superbowl. Maybe they are waiting for Rick Mirer to offer his help which I’m sure would be embraced by the Raiders dysfunctunal staff.

42. Marvin Berry says: Jan 7, 2010 3:21 PM

Herrera? The guy who tries to start fights with Asian midget sports writers? This is the voice of the worst franchise in pro football?
    Answer: Yes, that’s him.

43. cbrianwatkins says: Jan 7, 2010 3:22 PM

Rasputin says:
    January 7, 2010 2:27 PM
    ——————————————
    Brady learned how to throw from Tom Martinez, those two (Flutie and Vinnie) may have helped him a bit, but if anyone is to get credit for Brady’s skills its Martinez

44. smilergrogan says: Jan 7, 2010 3:23 PM

its pretty obvious to me that the offer, such as it was, was disingenuous.
    how long ago were we reading that the raiders wanted to ban gannon from the facility, even though he was announcing their game that week?
    and now gannon wants to help out? please.
    i think he knew he could get al’s lapdog to jump up and down and yip out a response, and he and yapperdog herrera both enjoy the face time since both are completely irrelevant.

45. JimmySmith says: Jan 7, 2010 3:25 PM

I would offer to teach J Russell how to bag groceries, at least he would be learning a skill for gainful employement next year because he sure the hell isn’t a NFL QB, or even a step down from that, QB of the Raiders.

46. blackglass says: Jan 7, 2010 3:25 PM

Rasputin says:
    January 7, 2010 2:27 PM
    Yeah, because since Flutie and Testaverde were there Brady has won…um…
    Dumb comment.

47. shawnc16 says: Jan 7, 2010 3:35 PM

Its so stupid to bring up the 5 Int game, big deal he was good enough to make it there. You guys are stupid to put down the guys whole career for one game when some good QBs never make it to the big dance. Do you really think if JaMarcus wasn’t willing to listen that there is nothing valuable that Gannon would have to teach this kid?

48. blacktoothgrin says: Jan 7, 2010 3:45 PM

Yeah, I mean what could a 4 time pro bowl, NFL MVP and the last guy to lead the Raiders to a Super Bowl (forget the interceptions, Gruden knew the Raidres playbook) teach JaBustus? Absolutely nothing! Hell, Dan Marino, Joe Montana, John Elway, Warren Moon, or Steve Young couldn’t teach JaFatass anything because he doesn’t care. However, I’m sure Gradkowski, Frye and Losman could learn a little from Gannon.
    When was the last time the Raiders even sniffed the playoffs? Oh thats right, when Rich Gannon was the QB. How many yards have you thrown for John Herrera? How many pro bowls did you play in John Herrera? None! So STFU and go back to your job, pucker up cause Al’s ass is dry.

49. jb10 says: Jan 7, 2010 3:57 PM

is it just me or is herrera the playground bully punching kids and taking their lunch money?
    i am a die hard raiders fan and have been since birth. this guy herrera would be a disgraceful employee to the mafia. who does this guy think he is? it is painful to see such a proud franchise being ran into the ground. al please please please get some true help running this team.
    i have to agree with jeffragnarchicken sure seems to be a bunch of asshats on here. makes me wonder if some guys ever watch the games or bother reading or doing any research before shooting their mouths off.

50. GreeneBlitz says: Jan 7, 2010 4:04 PM

Jamarcus Russel and the Raiders are the friggin joke of the NFL, Gannon was the last classy guy that that orginization had, also the last winner, now just a team, front office and fan base full of losers.

51. Island says: Jan 7, 2010 4:05 PM

JimmySmith says:
    January 7, 2010 3:25 PM
    Sorry Jimmy, can’t do that – he’ll probably eat up half of what goes through the teller…
    [/simpson]mmm doughnuts…..[/off]

52. Mike D says: Jan 7, 2010 4:09 PM

Yeah, God forbid the team and it’s most important player try something that might improve their prospects.
    I can’t wait to see who they draft this year. 10:1 odds ESPN will even have footage of the guy (assuming they don’t draft a woman in the 1st round).
    Just run a once-great franchise into the ground, baby!

53. Gary says: Jan 7, 2010 4:20 PM

Why would gannon offer to help in the first place, did he really expect a different outcome?? ….the raiders are always going to back the wrong horse and in this case it is DuhMarcus, why would we ever think that committed to excellence Big Al would ever do anything but the wrong thing?

54. bluestree says: Jan 7, 2010 4:22 PM

As far as Gannon’s Super Bowl performance goes, he was supposed to be handing the ball off to Wheatley, not throwing, but on friday the gameplan was suddenly changed. Bill Callahan got the blame and got sacked, but I see the hand of Al Davis in there. If Rich Gannon is responsible for 10% of the development of Aaron Rodgers, the Raiders should jump at the chance to get his input, but with so much bad blood, was it for real? I believe that Gannon going public with the offer was to bait the Raiders into saying something stupid, and that is Herrera’s specialty. Rich Gannon 1, Oakland Raiders 0.

55. bonecity7 says: Jan 7, 2010 4:46 PM

Has anyone ever seen John Herrera and Grima Wormtongue in the same place? Coincidence?
    I think not!!!

56. raideralex99 says: Jan 7, 2010 4:52 PM

Another sad day in Raider Nation … Gannon should know better you CANNOT teach anything to someone who does not have a brain.

57. aDickRunsThisSite says: Jan 7, 2010 4:53 PM

John Herrera has his picture in the dictionary.
    its hard to see his face though, its so dark brown, sorta like chocolate covered. I hear you can acquire this condition in Oakland while performing your job of keeping your head up Al Davis’ ass.
    Herrera,John= asskissing subservient lacky
    Rich Gannon remembers more football than Al Davis has forgotten and thats a bunch.

58. READY2CRUSH says: Jan 7, 2010 5:15 PM

If Gannon wanted to offer his help to JaLardAss Russell, he’d tell him to hang them up and let him takeover as starting QB. Even at 57 (or however old Gannon is), he’d be OAK best QB

59. TFBuckFutter says: Jan 7, 2010 5:27 PM

“I’ve done it with Aaron Rodgers and I’ve done it with quarterbacks in Tampa and Minnesota.”
    Yeah. Maybe don’t put those second two on your resume.

60. Alzado's Vein says: Jan 7, 2010 6:11 PM

I wish this ultimatum would happen,
    Hey Al, here are your choices -
    1) JaMarcus Russell & John Herrera
    or
    2) RaiderNation
    Who would you rather keep? Choose wisely old man.

61. Richm2256 says: Jan 7, 2010 9:01 PM

cbrianwatkins says:
    ————————————————
    While Brady gives Martinez much credit for his mechanics, it’s Brady’s awareness of the game that has made him the success he is in the NFL; recognizing what he’s seeing, and quickly deciding what to do with that.
    And you’re going to tell us that Tom Martinez has more first hand experience doing that than Vinnie Testeverde and Doug Flutie, who have decades of success between them?

62. TampaJoey says: Jan 7, 2010 10:27 PM

Isn’t it about time Al Davis dies already?

63. Romo Romeo Romano says: Jan 8, 2010 8:21 AM

Unbelievable!
    The Oakland Raiders completely whiff on a 1st overall pick.
    Then, they swat down help from one of the greatest QB’s to play for Oakland in the past 20 years.
    This organization must love 5 win seasons.
    Poor Darren McFadden, poor Richard Seymour. These players will never see any glimpse of the lombardi trophy.
    You think with countless years in the top 10, you’d have a slew of pro bowlers.
    Guess. Not.

64. Gregjennings85 says: Jan 8, 2010 11:22 AM

My friend, who lives in Oakland, recently told me that, in his opinion, JeMarcus Russell is the WORST PLAYER in the NFL.
    Wow.
    And, Rich Gannon, do you really want to work for Howard Hughes…er…Al Davis? If so, you could always fly there in the ‘Spruce Goose’.
    In all seriousness, Gannon is money, and is as smart as they come. He consistently calls Packer pre-season games, and knows more than I ever thought possible about being a quarterback, and in turn, how to attack a defense.