Gibbs told Shanahan that Snyder won't interfere

New Washington Redskins coach Mike Shanahan has final say over all football decisions. But can Shanahan be sure that owner Daniel Snyder won’t meddle?

Shanahan says he feels confident that Snyder will support him in every way — including getting out of the way — and that he feels that way in part because of a conversation he had with former Redskins coach Joe Gibbs.

“All I can tell you is what Joe Gibbs said to me,” Shanahan said on SIRIUS XM’s Mad Dog Radio. “He said, ‘Mike, you’re going to get the best owner in sports.’ He said, ‘I’ve never met a guy more positive. He’s got so much passion for the Redskins. He’s loyal. He grew up with them. He wants to win. He’s going to give you every opportunity to be successful.’

“I’ve known Joe for over 20 years. He said, ‘He will not interfere at all. All he will do is give you support.’ When Joe Gibbs tells me that, a guy that I’ve admired, I think you can put that in the bank.”

Those comments echo what Shanahan said at his introductory press conference, and the idea that Shanahan is running things was one of the central themes of the press conference — to the point that Snyder stayed in the back didn’t take part in the press conference at all.

Whether Snyder can continue to remain in the background remains to be seen. But for now, the Redskins are Shanahan’s show.

Permalink 28 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Rumor Mill, Sprint Football Live - Rumors, Top Stories, Washington Redskins
28 Responses to “Gibbs told Shanahan that Snyder won't interfere”
  1. chunky soupy sales says: Jan 7, 2010 9:47 AM

Hey, one way our another…We shall see.
    But the past does not measure up to what the old man is saying, clearly.
    We shall see.

2. INISHUL says: Jan 7, 2010 10:01 AM

I will believe it when I see a functioning offensive line.
    If they use that 4th pick on a QB I am done with the Skins.

3. pauliesmooth says: Jan 7, 2010 10:03 AM

This probably the most positive article that I have ever read about the Redskins on this site. If Snyder stays in the background then it will all be on shanny, the good or the bad, but ultimately if the skins fail again it will still be Danny’s fault.
    ps…..If the redskins draft a QB with the #4 pick overall i might have to find another team to be a fan of.

4. pauliesmooth says: Jan 7, 2010 10:04 AM

5. lurch's nyquil says: Jan 7, 2010 10:06 AM

Exactly where Snyder should have been… In the background. Please Mr. Snyder let Shanny do his thing. We Redskin fans can not take another year like this past year.

6. DC Vikings Fan says: Jan 7, 2010 10:16 AM

Examine the history of Shanahan in Denver, as the Washington Post does in today’s edition, and you might conclude that giving Shanahan complete authority is not such a good thing. Self-assessment is not one of Shanahan’s strengths.

7. leaguemvp says: Jan 7, 2010 10:19 AM

Can anyone tell me how well shanny did after elway?
    Can anyone tell me if there is another elway in the draft?
    Does anyone think jason crumble is as good a passer as john elway was?
    next season skins go 7-9.
    Congrats on the huge turnaround in advance…

8. Asswipe Johnson (Pronounced Az-Wee-Pay) says: Jan 7, 2010 10:31 AM

Joe Gibbs…One of the greatest coaches in NFL history. Can you imagine being an NFC team in the 80’s? Bill Walsh, Bill Parcells, Joe Gibbs…quite the formidable coaching trio to have to get by in the NFC playoffs.
    Picture what the resume of these coaches would look like if one or more of them coached in the AFC during this same time period…

9. Skins Realist says: Jan 7, 2010 10:31 AM

Much like the past, the off season is the real season for the skins. Hopefully Shanahan will realize that Campbell is not the problem…address our massive O line issues and cut the dead weight.

10. ashlyp says: Jan 7, 2010 10:47 AM

You can look up how Shanny did after Elway. That whole argument is ridiculous. They had two losing seasons after Elway’s retirement. The Broncos went to the playoffs three times post-Elway as a wild card team, not to mention playing in the AFC Championship game in 2005. In the past 10 years, the Broncos have been in the playoffs 5 times. Seriously, what is the problem with giving this guy a chance?

11. bake says: Jan 7, 2010 10:48 AM

Snyder may have been a meddler because of the way Cerrato did business………Maybe Cerrato was the kind of yes-man that he sought Snyder’s opinion and input all the time, but now that we have grownups to run things, it won’t be that way. I hope they simply stop with the ridiculous free agent signings and draft linemen first and foremost. As a matter of fact, they could trade away a lot of people for more draft picks. I’d get rid of Randle El, Portis, Doughty, maybe Landry, maybe Cooley. And I think the world of those guys, but if you can get picks for them, they are replaceable.

12. ceekay says: Jan 7, 2010 10:55 AM

i love all the cowgirl fans that have been ranting for weeks about the “shanahan has only 1 playoff win in 10 years, blah blah blah”
    do these pathetic cowboy fans know that the cowboys havent won a playoff game since ’96?
    that equals 14 years since their last playoff victory.
    redskins stink, but at least their owner realized that he is a joke and gave up control. jerry has yet to realize that
    if u are a cowboys fan, u are either a bandwagon fan that has never lived in TX or u are some pathetic idiot only likes the cowboys b/c of the thug years when they had nothing but a bunch of lowlife pieces of crap for players.
    you know your fanbase consists nothing but sheep bandwagon fans and thugs so no point of cracking back b/c u know this is true.

13. StephenJonesPlease says: Jan 7, 2010 11:25 AM

@ceekay
    What does that even mean??
    Worry about your “rebuilding years” we’ll worry about ours.
    skin fans are sooooooooooooooo obsessed with the cowboys and their fans (bandwagon or not) mainly because they have no bandwagon fans.
    Hell they barely have fans at all. You should be glad no one cares about the skins. I wish no one cared about the cowboys. It would make life easier to just cheer for our team w/o BS from others.
    We can’t help what the owner, the team, the fanbase, etc.. does. Just like you can’t.
    Typical loser: Tear down someone else, instead of supporting your own.
    You’re in the same position now, as we were when Parcells took the Dallas job. But don’t be suprised if Shanny only does half the job and bails, like Parcells did.
    The owners of our respective teams scarely similar.

14. jeremyb91 says: Jan 7, 2010 11:27 AM

Shanarat struggled in Denver once John Elway was gone and Bowen refused to cheat the salary cap again like he did during Elway’s two Super Bowl winning seasons (not an accusation, it’s the truth).
    I love this, give the guy lots of money and allow him to make some more personnel decisions like he did in Denver.
    Shanarat is among the worst drafters over the past 10 years so giving him the power is only fitting for DC. Now he can sink the ‘Skins even lower.

15. efangule says: Jan 7, 2010 11:33 AM

leaguemvp says:
    January 7, 2010 10:19 AM
    Can anyone tell me how well shanny did after elway?
    Can anyone tell me if there is another elway in the draft?
    Does anyone think jason crumble is as good a passer as john elway was?
    next season skins go 7-9.
    Congrats on the huge turnaround in advance…

Hey Dummy.. How well did Elway do before Shanny? 0-3 in the Superbowl and 9-7 or worse the 3 years prior? That’s what I thought.
    Jason Campbell is not the solution in Washington, but he can be a stop gap until they get the offensive line together then get a prominent QB through the draft.
    Given the current state of the offensive line and that they have zero backups good enough to play at any position, they shouldn’t go better than 5-11 next year. Any fan who says otherwise is delusional. The next year 2-3 more wins.. and 2-3 more wins the year after that.. it’s a 3 year building process to get back over .500. Expecting anything less is crazy and would just continue the problem of “win now at all costs” that has plagued this team for 10 years.
    You’re welcome in advance.

16. DrThunder728 says: Jan 7, 2010 11:40 AM

To all those fair weather skins fans saying crap like if they take a QB first round I’m finding a new team. Don’t bother waiting until the draft, I don’t care what they do we don’t need fans like that in Redskins Nation. Real skins fans go down with the ship, we’ll be back and I won’t question my loyalty until then.

17. The Genius says: Jan 7, 2010 11:43 AM

These are technicallities but no differant then the elway case.
    One should not use words one does not know how to spell.
    Makes you look stoopid.

18. cowboys1 says: Jan 7, 2010 12:05 PM

yeah they shouldnt use the 4th pick on a qb cuz campbell is great. or a stop gap?

19. purpleguy says: Jan 7, 2010 12:08 PM

I never really paid attention to the Broncos, but wasn’t one of the problems toward the end of Shanahan’s Denver tenure his lousy personnel decisions? And now Snyder gives him complete control? Based on history, this doesn’t seem like a good thing, and combined with Snyder’s impulsiveness, a recipe for continued mediocrity.

20. MattsRiff says: Jan 7, 2010 12:17 PM

Something tells me when Snyder wanted counsel from Gibbs several weeks ago, Joe Gibbs straightened him out.

21. Hovenaut says: Jan 7, 2010 12:36 PM

That’s fantastic and all, but it’s time for Shanny and Allen to get to work. Lot of house to clean.

22. Gunther69 says: Jan 7, 2010 12:45 PM

Shanahan is credited with getting the best out of Elway when he was the OC. So, Shanahan has been friends with Snyder and have talked regularly. The same with Allen. I guess the media didn’t know that. Instead they make out like Shanahan is using the mystery team that was interested in him to get more money. The deceiving and money hungry coach after all he can get. Then it’s all about did Gray interview, then Shanahan has total control. This is why I hate the media. They don’t have a clue what is going on. It’s all conspiracy and nonsense.

23. Chrisbelb says: Jan 7, 2010 12:55 PM

———————————————
    Yes and no. Part of the problem, but also part of the solution. He drafted players like Terrell Davis, and brought over a lot of the key FAs that put the team over the top in the 90s (half of that beast O-line and names like Ed McCaffery apply here). Also, he had some decent drafts on his way out the door (most recently in his last draft, discovering guys like Clady, Harris, B Marsh, Dumervil, etc).
    Yes, some of his FA moves were borderline retarded, but personnel decisions are typically a crap shoot, particularly the way FA works in the NFL now. The big FA moves that Denver flopped on were all “hot” names at the time, so a lot of teams were obviously wrong about them. I’d say be cautiously optimistic. Not every move is going to pan out, but Shanny definitely showed during his tenure that he knows how to not only find the gems, but use them effectively. You’d hope that the mistakes of his past will greatly influence his choices in the future.
    BTW – lifelong Denver fan. I was torn about seeing Shanny go…something obviously wasn’t working anymore. I think Washington will be pleased with what they get as long as Snyder gives the man some time to implement his system.

24. Pingon says: Jan 7, 2010 1:27 PM

I am having a hard time believing that Snyder’s ego will let him stay in the background, not getting involved or not getting any attention or praise for any success that Skins may achieve.
    I hope the Skins do build an O-line like the one Riggo used to run behind. That would be the ultimate in showing commitment to having a desire to win. If they waste their 4th pick on a QB, and do not address the O-line problems, get ready for another loosing season.
    PS. For all those that threaten to be done with the Skins … Once you’re dyed in the blood burgundy, you can never switch! No matter what! Believe me! ;-p

25. INISHUL says: Jan 7, 2010 1:41 PM

@ DrThunder
    Youre obviously a sheep. I’ve been a loyal skins fan since as long as I can remember. Every year I give this organization hundreds of dollars. Tickets to a couple games a year (beer/food/parking), jerseys, hats, etc….
    But there comes a time where you have to say enough is enough.
    Im not saying that I wont watch or cheer for the Redskins in the future if things dont change. What I am saying is that Im done donking off my money to the pockets of a man who only cares about his pockets. I still do not believe (and either should anyone – based on the past) that Snyder is going to change unless he feels it financially. Do I really need to list all the terrible mistakes this franchise has made in the past ten years? For F. sake they tried to sue a grandmother for not being able to afford her season tickets any longer. That is embarrassing and emblematic of the larger problem with this team…. so please continue to support this organization blindly. Because, you sir, are the reason the rest of us fans are being forced to suffer.

26. pauliesmooth says: Jan 7, 2010 2:06 PM

@DrThunder
    So are you telling me you won’t be pissed if they draft Sam “injury prone” Bradford with the 4th overall pick……
    Not that I am a draft or redskins expert but i have been loyal to this team for over 30years and know that our most pressing problem is NOT the QB, trade that pick for 2-3 other picks later in the draft and let’s start rebuilding. But i will stand by my statement “if they draft a QB 4th overall I’m out”

27. Asswipe Johnson (Pronounced Az-Wee-Pay) says: Jan 7, 2010 3:31 PM

Washington will be drafting Rutgers tackle Anthony Davis with the 4 pick…

28. polishkingski says: Jan 7, 2010 4:14 PM

i will never forget when gibbs made it his business to speak out publicly about scorsese’ movie the last temptation of christ. i guess that old tool never heard its easier for a camel to pass thru the eye of a needle then a rich man to enter the kingdom of god. or did you convieniently forget that one joe?