Redskins coach criticizes Portis on the way out

Clinton-Portis.jpgStump Mitchell isn’t the first person to criticize Clinton Portis’ work habits, but Mitchell does have a unique perspective as Washington’s running back coach the last two years.

Asked whether Portis could work harder, Mitchell told the Washington Post, “That’s a slam dunk. Clinton could’ve worked harder.”

Mitchell has left the Redskins to take the head coaching job at Southern University and believes Portis has to rededicate himself for his results to change.

“He’s got to do that, and Dan [Snyder] has to
understand that that’s what has to be done. In order for the Redskins
to be successful, that’s what Clinton has to do. He has to change the
way he’s done things in the past, in order for them to be successful as
a team.”

Mike Shanahan understands Portis from having coached him before.  And that’s why we have our doubts Portis will make Washington’s team next season, regardless of his guaranteed money.

Permalink 23 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Rumor Mill, Sprint Football Live - Rumors, Top Stories, Washington Redskins
23 Responses to “Redskins coach criticizes Portis on the way out”
  1. redskinchip says: Jan 11, 2010 5:01 PM

Every player on the Redskins roster needs to self examine their ability to do their job at a high level.
    Allen and Shanahan will not play favorites as they demand every player’s best effort. You can take that to the bank

2. rgott28 says: Jan 11, 2010 5:10 PM

Hmm. So do you make Ladell Bett’s the starter. I do like the guy but he’s injury prone, and he’s aging. He deserves to be a starting back though, heck a few years back he had 1100 yards in 8 games. Maybe let him start for a year and address the running game in the next season in the draft or free agancy. The bigger issue is the offensive line, recieving corps and quarterback. Although I like Jason Campbell I think the Skins have ruined him. He will still play somewhere, but I think he will now be a career backup. Daniel Snyder has systematically destroyed my favorite team, I really really hope he has learned and that he will allow Shanny to build a team that plays football, instead of just grabbing football players with large wallets and even bigger ego’s.

3. Pockets Straight says: Jan 11, 2010 5:13 PM

Stump – 1
    Snyder’s controlling the coaching and procurement of players making Zorn the scapegoat – 0

4. PolegoJim says: Jan 11, 2010 5:14 PM

The guys cancer from the word go. So… GO… away Clinton. Become a Raider.

5. mcarey032 says: Jan 11, 2010 5:15 PM

Really too bad! Portis has some real talent and he pretty much carried us on his back in 2005. When he is on the field he really gave his all, but once he started getting older and had more carries on him his body wore down. He should have been conditioning himself as he got older because his life as a running back in this league will be shortened significantly. I would love to see Portis stay, provided he is going to be in shape and participate with the rest of his teammates. Doubt this will happen, but one can hope.

6. chunky soupy sales says: Jan 11, 2010 5:19 PM

Portis and Haynesworth just need to keep doing what they are doing.

7. Cubano says: Jan 11, 2010 5:19 PM

I’ll start my grandmother at RB before I want to see Portis back in DC! He’s nothing but a locker room trouble maker. He should take his stripper pole and sign w/ a team that truly deserves his lazy ass. HELLO CLEVELAND!!!!!!

8. PYFLO says: Jan 11, 2010 5:22 PM

Portis is a lazy piece of garbage and quiet possibly the dumbest person that I have ever heard speak in public. I don’t understand how someone this dumb got through elementary school, let alone high school or a single college class.

9. Richm2256 says: Jan 11, 2010 5:28 PM

After the way Portis stabbed Campbell in public like he did, I’m glad to see his position coach give him a slap on the way out the door.

10. bob _ nelson says: Jan 11, 2010 5:47 PM

PYFLO says:
    January 11, 2010 5:22 PM
    This fits every single Packer fan.

11. habibfromnewdehli says: Jan 11, 2010 5:51 PM

So the guy who injures his shoulder busting his @$$ to make a tackle after his QB threw an interception in the preseason… that’s who needs to work harder?
    Yeah right. Zorn was just happy to be in the NFL, always had the face like he couldn’t believe he was there. Well, guess what… neither could I.
    This coaching change is for the best. That defense was so talented, and the play calling on both sides of the ball made them look bad.
    Now, an upgraded offensive line and even Campbell will look halfway decent. But an improved line AND a new QB would make this team a contender.

12. The Wolverine says: Jan 11, 2010 6:29 PM

A new fresh running back with a new fresh attitude is what Dr. Shannan ordered. Clinton Portis is the disease and the Dr. has the cure- Devil be gone!!!!!!!!!!

13. DevinMr711 says: Jan 11, 2010 6:39 PM

You would put your grandmother behind that terrible offensive line, What kind of grandson are you???

14. lurch's nyquil says: Jan 11, 2010 7:08 PM

Thanks Stump.
    I think we already knew this.
    I heard it said best last week. Shanny traded CP in his prime. Do you really think he will be here next year. Doubt it.

15. slipkid says: Jan 11, 2010 7:45 PM

flo, it’s called “social promotion”.
    he’s a cancer who has the ear of the owner. that’s terminal.

16. Pockets Straight says: Jan 11, 2010 7:52 PM

@lurch’s nyquil
    Shanahan traded Portis for the best cover corner in the league and a second. I doubt that the Jets are willing to trade Revis, so I think Portis will beback,
    by the way, great nickname. Even better than the grayhairdmonster who trolls this board.

17. ispysomething7 says: Jan 11, 2010 7:55 PM

PYFLO he went to the U. What would you expect.

18. nationscapital10 says: Jan 11, 2010 8:01 PM

Shanny the Tranny, skins fans are such morons, every freakin year, whoever they sign as coach is the answer and they have all the talent and blah blah blah. 5 coaches later, same old loser players, same old results, because the owner does not get it. And still, he has duped skins fans into thinking the new gm knows how to draft, when shanny will be doing all the drafting….maurice clarett in the 3rd round…enjoy redskins fans! Like always, get all your news from the local sunshine paper.

19. pollacksposse says: Jan 11, 2010 8:34 PM

Mr. Snyder, Mr. Shanahan, I’d like for you to meet Mr. Mcgahee. His services are no longer needed across town and I think he woul;d make a smashing addition to your team. Best part of it, you dont have to worry about relocation assistance for him, he lives the next town over.

20. FumbleNuts says: Jan 11, 2010 8:39 PM

Mike Shanahan understands Portis and he will not be a Redskin next year.

21. tacious says: Jan 11, 2010 9:24 PM

@ habibfromnewdehli
    You’re an idiot… and your comment is ridiculous! You don’t know anything about CP’s work ethic, so why would you pretend to know more about it than the guys RB coach?

22. chunky soupy sales says: Jan 11, 2010 10:47 PM

“I don’t understand how someone this dumb got through elementary school, let alone high school or a single college class.”
    _____________________________________
    Miami . Nuff said.

23. Shooglez says: Jan 12, 2010 8:50 AM

Wasn’t this the team you picked to win it all Mike, due to Clinton’s reestablished enjoyment and dedication for the game??