Del Rio plays poker with the Jacksonville media

Well, we can now quit using the phrase “I’m not going to be the Alabama coach” when referring to football coaches who say one thing and do another.

But we haven’t yet decided whether to replace it with “that’s all speculation and hype” or “it’s business as usual” or “all of those things are manufactured” or “we’re busy at work trying to build the team strong” or “all of those other things are a figment of other peoples’ imagination.”

Jack Del Rio used each of those phrases when talking to the Jacksonville media on Tuesday as he walked to work for an ownership meeting that could determine his future with the team.

And he uttered those words with the distinct demeanor of a cat that has swallowed a contract offer from USC printed on canary yellow paper.

Don’t take our word for it.  Watch the video from FirstCoastNews.com, and then drop your own thoughts as to whether Del Rio is full of something other than water.

Permalink 20 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Jacksonville Jaguars, Rumor Mill, Sprint Football Live - Rumors, Top Stories
20 Responses to “Del Rio plays poker with the Jacksonville media”
  1. tre_fizzle says: Jan 12, 2010 9:53 AM

dude, could his eyes BE more puffy? What did he stay up all night with Matt Jones or something?

2. DonTerrelli says: Jan 12, 2010 9:55 AM

He’s Lovin It, just like that McDonald’s song. ba da da da da, I’m lovin it

3. dasboat says: Jan 12, 2010 9:58 AM

Pick your poison: Do you want to be lied to (Saban) or told nothing (Del Rio)? You’re not going to get the truth, so give it up.

4. GoBrowns19 says: Jan 12, 2010 9:59 AM

“let it all play out” is the out there. What’s he supposed to say? “Yeah, I’m in talks with USC, but nothing in writing yet. So until then I will continue as if I’m coaching here, but if USC offers the job in earnest, I’m outta here”.

5. wkedklwnz says: Jan 12, 2010 10:06 AM

The new tag line should be “yeah, yeah, yeah, just let it all play out”
    I think Del Rio, is already gone in his mind, the way he was smiling, to me looked like he was ready to give everybody associated with Jags the “your No. 1 in my book salute”.

6. Jagsjim says: Jan 12, 2010 10:11 AM

Was the Tony Boselli reference a link to USC?

7. Cardsfan81 says: Jan 12, 2010 10:16 AM

That video tells you all you need to about Jack Del Rio. What a fraud. He has the look of a guy saying ” I did not have sex with that woman”. Mean while she’s over on the other side of town telling her mother what a wonderful guy she is seeing. Just laughable.

8. jessbrox809 says: Jan 12, 2010 10:18 AM

Honestly, it just looks like Del Rio having a little fun.
    “It’s really nice that you all care enough to be out here this morning.” Del Rio’s not naive, he knows they’re just following the story and, for lack of a better word, the hype. He’s just having a little fun doing it in my opinion.

9. Joe in Toronto, Canada says: Jan 12, 2010 10:19 AM

I think he’ll stay if they let him but he wants an answer now.
    Hey, where’s the daily “Observers of someone who’s related to a janitor, who was married to someone that once worked for the Oakland Raiders, says Al Davis might fire Tom Cable today?
    Come on, we need some real news here.

10. SteelCurtain says: Jan 12, 2010 10:23 AM

Weaver should not offer a buyout to Del Rio — just let him squirm while the USC job potentially goes to someone else.
    Weaver can always fire him later. Jack will fold.

11. slipkid says: Jan 12, 2010 10:39 AM

then weaver can pay him full price later too.

12. purpleguy says: Jan 12, 2010 10:52 AM

So Del Rio’s on the hot seat in Jacksonville already, and he’s a scombag for talking with USC? If the owner can fire him whenever he wants, why can’t Del Rio bolt when he wants? He’s probably just scouting California for Weaver’s inevitable move anyhow.

13. ZombieRevolution says: Jan 12, 2010 11:13 AM

Florio write: “…then drop your own thoughts as to whether Del Rio is full of something other than water.”
    Funny thing- people do the same thing on Florio’s postings, and quite a few times he is found to be full of more than water…..

14. Wolframpau says: Jan 12, 2010 11:43 AM

If I’m SC, I would give Del Rio a firm deadline to accept or reject the offer, and look for a fallback head coach, like Norm Chow. Wonder who will blink first, Del Rio or Weaver.

15. texasPHINSfan says: Jan 12, 2010 11:57 AM

What do you want him to say? That’s he’s leaving for USC before a deal is in place? Jags would fire him, the deal with USC could fall through, and he’d be completely out of work.
    Now tell me how that makes sense? As long as he doesn’t say “I won’t coach USC next year”, whatever he says is fine.

16. midwest says: Jan 12, 2010 12:00 PM

One more time…The Jaguars ARE NOT MOVING! Weaver has unequivocally stated numerous times that the Jags are not for sale, and are not moving, PERIOD! Further, they have a lease in Jacksonville through 2030 which was just renewed a few years ago!
    Stop with the Jags are moving garbage. Oakland will move 1000x before the Jags.

17. jagtom0025 says: Jan 12, 2010 12:35 PM

purpleguy says:
    January 12, 2010 10:52 AM
    First of all, JDR is on the hot seat for next year. I dont get the “already”. He has been here for 7 years. And he can leave any time he wants, but he will leave the remaining $$ in Jax. If WW fires him he will get the remainder of the contract. Hmm, I wonder what will happen… I ‘m not going to comment about your last line because you just dont seem too bright.

18. charliewade says: Jan 12, 2010 12:35 PM

Did you hear? The Jags are going to be moving to L.A.

19. facelessman says: Jan 12, 2010 12:40 PM

seems to me nothings going to happen he will stay in Jacksonville..But if you look closely, USC makes a nice offer he might take it.

20. jj jones says: Jan 12, 2010 12:44 PM

“Did you hear? The Jags are going to be moving to L.A.
    Why doesn’t Jack want to coach the Jags in the same town he was an All-American LB?”
    {crickets}