Rex Ryan surprisingly unimpressed with DPOY vote

DarrelleRevis.jpgWhen Jets coach Rex Ryan heard that Darrelle Revis finished behind Charles Woodson in the Defensive Player of the Year voting, he reacted calmly with congratulations.

Okay, we made that up.

Ryan was pissed and didn’t try to hide it. We love it.

“A number that I think is interesting is eight.  No, that’s not the amount of touchdown passes Green Bay gave up against Arizona.  That’s the amount of touchdown passes we gave up all season.  The biggest reason for that is Darrelle Revis.”

Ryan’s full comments can be seen here, but you get the idea.  Here’s one more good one.

“I wasn’t going to comment on it,” said Ryan. “You know what I would
like? I would like to congratulate the people who voted for Darrelle
Revis, those guys obviously really know the game.”

Revis, for one, didn’t seem to mind: “That’s good for [Woodson],” Revis said. “I actually voted for him. It
wasn’t on my list of goals. You just try to play the best you can.”

Permalink 123 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: New York Jets, Rumor Mill, Sprint Football Live - Rumors, Top Stories
123 Responses to “Rex Ryan surprisingly unimpressed with DPOY vote”
  1. Love_Boat_Scandal says: Jan 12, 2010 4:11 PM

Rex Ryan is a big fat idiot.

2. Diggs says: Jan 12, 2010 4:13 PM

What the hell is on his list of goals then? Best dressed? Class clown? Longest turd?

3. CsanBoySmith says: Jan 12, 2010 4:13 PM

Great Job Rex…you can count

4. packerfanfornot4life says: Jan 12, 2010 4:13 PM

how many scores did revis give up all season??

5. Vladimir says: Jan 12, 2010 4:14 PM

“A number that I think is interesting is eight. No, that’s not the amount of touchdown passes Green Bay gave up against Arizona.”
    __________________________
    That there is some funny stuff.

6. nyj-gate D says: Jan 12, 2010 4:14 PM

i love rex, the only coach in the league with the balls to say what he is actually thinking, no matter how much it pisses other people off.

7. Thomas Paquette says: Jan 12, 2010 4:14 PM

8. packerfanfornot4life says: Jan 12, 2010 4:14 PM

9. shadowman1433 says: Jan 12, 2010 4:15 PM

Ryan is just a loud mouth that likes to talk to make himself feel important.

10. GB4Life says: Jan 12, 2010 4:15 PM

It’s not Cornerback of the year numbnuts. It’s Defensive player of the year. Yes Revis did an excellent job shutting down receivers as a cornerback should but Woodson could blitz, force fumbles and by having 20 more sacks than Revis he obviously was a ball hawk. Well deserved Woodson. You the man.

11. cleanface says: Jan 12, 2010 4:16 PM

Revis is one of the AP’s voters? Interesting.

12. heysharpshooter says: Jan 12, 2010 4:16 PM

Revis was better in coverage, I agree. But he didn’t play safety, linebacker and defensive end for the Jets like Woodson did for the Packers. Woodsons all around year was better than Revis.

13. 12to85ftw says: Jan 12, 2010 4:17 PM

Rex Ryan with a stronghold on coach with the biggest ego.
    “I wasn’t going to comment on it”
    Riiiight. Is that why he had the cheapshot on Green Bay all thought up and ready to throw out there?

14. Ken1313 says: Jan 12, 2010 4:18 PM

As much as it pains me…as a Patriots fan…to admit this….Rex Ryan is right. Revis shut up any and all doubters and deserved the award. He was THE shut down corner of 2009

15. JCD says: Jan 12, 2010 4:18 PM

Rex could learn a thing or two about class from Revis. What an impressive guy he seems to be.

16. Poo Flinging Monkey says: Jan 12, 2010 4:19 PM

I’m confused. This has nothing to do with the Rooney Rule?

17. Revis says: Jan 12, 2010 4:19 PM

you know I deserved it over that d-bag Woodson…at least I’m still in the playoffs

18. bengtc says: Jan 12, 2010 4:24 PM

“I always use to want the Bengals to fire Marvin Lewis and hire Rex Ryan but after seeing how arrogant and rude a lot of his comments are, I’m very very happy that my wish didn’t ever come true. I think that Coach Ryan does a lot of good things when it comes to motivating his team, but when it comes to something like this, he is just plain rude.”
    Whats with all the overly sensitive commenters???? How can anyone be offended by what Rex has to say?? Its refreshing to hear someone who actually has an opinion.

19. Mr Krinkle says: Jan 12, 2010 4:25 PM

Love or hate Ryan, “No, that’s not the amount of touchdown passes Green Bay gave up against Arizona” is pretty damn funny.

20. WickedKoala says: Jan 12, 2010 4:26 PM

Any recognition to a team or player outside the east coast makes fatty’s head assplode.

21. brownsfn says: Jan 12, 2010 4:27 PM

I wish this guy would shut up already ….hes almost as bad as Tony Dungy!!!!

22. Pervy_Harvin says: Jan 12, 2010 4:28 PM

Ryan is right on all counts.”A number that I think is interesting is eight. No, that’s not the amount of touchdown passes Green Bay gave up against Arizona.” Freaking hilarious and made a point. Green Bay gave up 29 passing td’s in the regular season and 5 to Warner Sunday. Jets give up 8 td passes all season.Are you kidding me? That is secondary domination and Revis was the reason. Revis was classy in getting jobbed by voters who don’t know football. Take the award Mr. Woodcock but we all know who played D to the highest level. Besides Packer fans that is…bet not one of them takes the high road in choosing Revis!

23. bluestree says: Jan 12, 2010 4:30 PM

Rex Ryan has been entertaining all season and he continues not to disappoint. But it’s only a matter of time before he will plant his foot squarely in his mouth to the detriment of his team. Hopefully, his apologies will be as amusing as his pontifications.

24. GB3Pack4 says: Jan 12, 2010 4:31 PM

The award is not for the best corner of the year, it’s for the best defensive player of the year. Darrell Revis is a shutdown corner, no argument. But Woodson’s flexibility in taking on whatever needs to be done, changing roles multiple times in multiple games, seeing, reading, motor that never runs down, playing injured all season, and still performing at a lights-out level, THAT’S the guy who wins the Defensive Player of the Year Award.
    In one sentence, Rex says that voters shouldn’t have paid attention to just a few stats, but to all of them, using that as reinforcement for the choice being Revis. But surely one of the main reasons that WOODSON got the award is that the voters DID pay attention to all the stats, not just to some.
    Both players are superb. Revis is a great corner, but Woodson is the whole package.
    I can see Mike McCarthy standing up there saying something like, We godda great fuhball team, Woodson’s the heart of it, I stand behind my guy, and letting it go at that. Rex on the other hand, comes off as a little immature.

25. lebowski says: Jan 12, 2010 4:32 PM

Tom Cable needs to bust that lard ass’s jaw.

26. twinkletoes says: Jan 12, 2010 4:33 PM

I love how CWood bolts Oaktown, transitions to a contemporary defensive scheme(s), continues to make Pro Bowls and lands DPOY this many years after his exodus from Mordor.
    Raiderkarma.

27. Unchained says: Jan 12, 2010 4:34 PM

Rex Ryan is a fat loud mouth. I’ve never seen such consistently unprofessional behavior from a coach in the NFL.

28. IndyWilson says: Jan 12, 2010 4:34 PM

Ryan is a big fatass, just like his fatass dad and fatass brother.

29. smiley says: Jan 12, 2010 4:35 PM

I just became Ryan and Revis fans….unless they play the Skins. Hail!

30. 12to85ftw says: Jan 12, 2010 4:37 PM

“A number that I think is interesting is eight-hundred. No, that’s not the amount I weigh. It’s the amount of cheeseburgers I ate last year. The biggest reason for that is because I ate 1200 pizzas. I love pizza.”

31. dboom92 says: Jan 12, 2010 4:37 PM

This guy loves stats and meaningless accolades more than pizza.

32. jamesz23 says: Jan 12, 2010 4:37 PM

There’s some bulletin board material for GB and Woodson for next season when the Jets are on their schedule. Not smart Rex, not smart at all.

33. shazard01 says: Jan 12, 2010 4:37 PM

SD will shut him up for good this weekend!

34. sdffa11 says: Jan 12, 2010 4:38 PM

if this idiot was in charge for picking end of the year awards, he would have awarded himself coach of the year. rex ryan is just as dumb as the fans of the team he coaches.

35. Fan_Of_ Four says: Jan 12, 2010 4:39 PM

“Eight”
    The number of months Rex Ryan should be on the Jenny Craig diet.
    I can’t understand why so many of the NFL’s coaches are obese when they have world class facilities and trainers on hand.

36. last starfighter says: Jan 12, 2010 4:40 PM

good call lebowski. He’ll have the jets franchise run into the ground soon anyhow. We’ll be here to laugh as he fails and eventually gets canned

37. Omega says: Jan 12, 2010 4:43 PM

If Rex coaches your team you love him.
    If he doesn’t you don’t.

38. packerfanfornot4life says: Jan 12, 2010 4:46 PM

Which defense improved the most from 2008?? Which player on that team was the most important to that turnaround??

39. RIP__21 says: Jan 12, 2010 4:46 PM

The jets d finished 16th overall and 29th against the pass last year. The fat man came in and made them #1 in both categories. He was also on the staff of the greatest defense ever the 2000 baltimore ravens.
    Say what you will but this fat bastard knows a thing or two about creating a great defense.

40. Frank Burns says: Jan 12, 2010 4:47 PM

Rex also added “thanks to the Colts for lying down and letting us into the playoffs. Oh and thanks to the league for moving the Bengals game to Sunday Night too, just to make sure Cincinnati had nothing to play for. And finally, thanks to Carson Palmer, for being such a big-game choker.”

41. cy farnsworth says: Jan 12, 2010 4:48 PM

Thomas Paquette says: January 12, 2010 4:14 PM
    ______________________________________
    I would’ve thought that seeing Rex Ryan coach circles around Marvin Lewis on 2 consecutive weekends would’ve reinforced your previous opinion.

42. roce96 says: Jan 12, 2010 4:48 PM

” how many scores did revis give up all season?? How many did Woodson give up?? How many positions did Revis play?? How many big plays did Revis make?? ”
    Please enlighten us to the results of your questions since I’m sure you’re trying to prove a point.

43. if yer not first... says: Jan 12, 2010 4:48 PM

one word “mangenius”
    Enjoy your time now Ryan- next year you’re 7-9 and in 3 years your commenting late night on the nfl network – mark my words

44. JimmySmith says: Jan 12, 2010 4:52 PM

Rex Ryan has less than a week till his season is over so he might as well shoot off his mouth now.
    Real classy guy.

45. Harm City Homer says: Jan 12, 2010 4:52 PM

Woodson made a lot of plays. Revis was a much better player. He shut down a lot of top WRs in Prime Time type half field, no help type press coverage. He put Ochostinko in a box while Woodson was chasing the Cards around all night. He derserved some votes and maybe 2nd place, but Revis is the new Champ and on his way to Prime Time status. BY leaving him 1 on 1 with the #1, Rex is able to send the house or lockdown cover everyone else at anytime they do not send help. The Jets can not really stop the run or cover anyone other than Revis’s man without some sort of blitz pressure. Revis makes all the schemes possible that Rex likes to run. They never really worked here in Harm City when the Cbs were not healthy and playing lights out.

46. daPACK says: Jan 12, 2010 4:53 PM

Ryans fat ass should probably shut up and focus on the task at hand…losing 800 lbs

47. TheDPR says: Jan 12, 2010 4:56 PM

Woodson deserved it. Revis is good. Woodson is better. Revis can shut down a guy. Woodson can make a QB think the guy’s open when he’s really covered.

48. MasterShake says: Jan 12, 2010 4:56 PM

Why are some of you posters so against Ryan? Because he actually seems like a real person? I’m an NFC guy but I think this joker actually is making a connection not only with the media and fans but more importantly, his team. Why hide from the person that you really are? Unless he’s a big fat liar like steroid users in MLB, then go on with your bad self Ryan.
    He doesn’t shy away from being a moron in the publics eye. He thought they were out of the playoffs weeks ago yet, here they are!
    Crown em’!
    They are who we thought they were!

49. toonster says: Jan 12, 2010 4:58 PM

Ryan may be equally fun and annoying, but I actually thought Revis deserved it more. I thought Revis was the better overall defensive player. For all the people focusing on who’s the most complete player, I’d argue that DPOY voting should also consider
    a) Who has the most impact on his team’s gameplans?
    b) Who forces opposing teams to change their gameplans?
    Woodson was great, and I don’t have a problem with him winning it, but Revis, when comparing both of them, had the most impact. He allowed Ryan (and uh … crap, the DC is Pettine?) to have so much flexibility in his blitz and cover schemes. Opposing teams shied away from him, and unlike say, Deion, Revis is a physical player. If Ryan wanted, he could’ve utilized Revis in a similar way to how Capers utilized Woodson (and as Revis gets older, he may get utilized that way more). That said, Revis was best out there, taking away a defenses options. That limits an offenses’ ability to maneuver. Put it this way – without Revis, the Jets aren’t anywhere this good, as I think Ryan and Pettine would have to cover for a secondary that’s pretty average on paper. Revis, while not the only aspect, was the key reason that defense was that good this year, and that would’ve been my justification for why I thought he deserved the award.

50. EY says: Jan 12, 2010 4:58 PM

For all those who say that it’s not ‘best CB of the year’, well that’s true, it’s not.
    But flexibility isn’t what should win you this award. Being the best is. That’s like giving the MLB MVP to a Utility Infielder because he was good at doing a lot of things.
    Is Woodson the best CB in football? No.
    Is Woodson the best S in football? No.
    Is Woodson the best LB in football? No.
    Is Woodson a bigger name than Revis at this point? Yes.
    The fact of the matter is Revis is the #1 Corner on the #1 Defense in the NFL, a defense that gave up, as Rex said, about as many pass TDs this season as Woodson’s did two nights ago.
    Imagine Packers playing Arizona again. You think they wouldn’t rather have Revis back there than Woodson this go-round?

51. callmecougar says: Jan 12, 2010 5:00 PM

Yes, why of course I would love more gravy.

52. i'm back says: Jan 12, 2010 5:03 PM

For the sake of conversation, why didn’t Champ Bailey or Nmandi Asawhatever, the two most previous “shutdown” cornerbacks, ever win the DPOY?
    If I guy isn’t being targeted, fantastic, who cares? That’s boring. But if I’m paying top dollar these days for sports entertainment, I’ll take the plays that Chuck Woodson makes all over the field.
    Who cares who is a better cornerback or who won the award, for my money I want to watch Woodson.
    Ankle tackle on Rice at the goal line, diving interception of Romo at the goal line, blitzing off the edge and jarring that ball loose, baiting the QB then making up ridiculous ground on almost every interception…that is a playmaker.

53. Adam-Chris Scheftersen says: Jan 12, 2010 5:03 PM

Revis says:
    January 12, 2010 4:19 PM
    —————————
    So is Benny Sapp.
    Honestly, I think Revis deserved the award as much as Woodson. It’s the daffodils in each camp who annoy me–like the guy above. Each man had an unbelievable season. Neither was head and shoulders above the other. Woodson doesn’t match up to Revis as a shutdown corner and Revis doesn’t match up to Woodson as a multi-talented playmaker.
    Woodson’s strengths are forcing fumbles, rushing the QB and intercepting passes. They need him to be all over the field. Revis’ strength is shutting down one guy and taking him completely out of the game. They need him to stick to one guy like glue. Each of them did their job.

54. Wipackman says: Jan 12, 2010 5:06 PM

yep Jets should be the favorte to win it all too..
    zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
    Classless ass …he should attempt to shake his Dads bad genes for one minute and be the class person D Revis is…

55. footballrulz says: Jan 12, 2010 5:07 PM

He also thinks the Jets should be considered Super Bowl favorites.
    So much for credibility

56. purpleguy says: Jan 12, 2010 5:07 PM

Maybe Woodson’s overall defensive performance was better to justify DPOY, I don’t know. But I’ll bet if NFL GMs had their pick of the 2 players for their team, they’d pick Revis. And Ryan may be a fat blowhard, but at least he’s an entertaining fat blowhard.

57. txtroutslayer says: Jan 12, 2010 5:07 PM

I still hate his fat loser of a father so much I can’t stand his offspring either. The overrated fatass acorn doesn’t fall to far from the overrated fatass tree. His father never won a superbowl as a head coach and neither will his loser son….

58. mburger13 says: Jan 12, 2010 5:12 PM

just shut up already Fatty!!
    This is your defensive player of the year?? Please…

59. DanRooney says: Jan 12, 2010 5:15 PM

Both quarterbacks in the SB toyed with Woodson. DPOY? Hahahaha.
    Revis definitely deserved it. But then again, Manning didn’t deserve last years MVP or his SB MVP award.

60. scomibord says: Jan 12, 2010 5:15 PM

Hey…I am on a diet, lost a few pounds. I thought I was looking pretty good. I take offense to all the fat comments. I’m about to go all Tom Cable up in here

61. Vikes Fan in CT says: Jan 12, 2010 5:16 PM

The problem with RR is that he doesn’t give anyone else credit. He says things like “We should be favored in every game.” which come acroos as arrogant because any reasonable person would realize that while they can certainly beat any team, overall they are not the best team in the NFL. He does the same here, basically saying that anyone who voted for Woodson is wrong and doesn’t know football. That’s the definition of arrogance

62. Tebow's a Douche says: Jan 12, 2010 5:19 PM

What a dumb ass. What other NFL coach feels the need to belittle other teams players. The guys a tool.

63. mfclock says: Jan 12, 2010 5:19 PM

I wish McDummy was more like Rex in how he stands up and speaks out for his players.

64. dowens11 says: Jan 12, 2010 5:20 PM

Why is everyone ripping Woodson for the Arizona game? Had he not made a big play in the 2nd quarter to stop the bleeding, we may not have been treated to the classic that we watched. Charles made big plays in that game, unfortunately for him, pretty much every other Packer and Cardinal did too.

65. NewYorkJetsFan says: Jan 12, 2010 5:20 PM

Just think if you were a player on The New York Jets and you heard this.

66. EY says: Jan 12, 2010 5:25 PM

Rather than the media talking about how the Jets don’t belong, they’re talking about how Ryan said the Jets should be favorites, Ryan said Revis should have won.
    Ryan is smarter than you think.

67. Levito says: Jan 12, 2010 5:25 PM

Ryan needs to keep his mouth shut. What does he care if his players don’t win DPOY awards? When Revis’ contract is up, he’ll be damn glad Revis didn’t get that award, it would probably add another cool million/year onto his asking price.
    Ryan knows how to coach a defense, but the subtleties of being a coach, such as when to keep your mouth shut on something, he still has a long way to go on that.

68. darkchild says: Jan 12, 2010 5:26 PM

The JETS will win the Superbowl. Just wait and see.

69. FootballFanatik says: Jan 12, 2010 5:27 PM

Wow… I just became an even bigger fan of Rex Ryan. Respect! Congratulations to Ryan for saying what he means and for motivating his team like no other coach has motivated The Jets before.
    Whoa hahahaha, can’t believe the original and chortle-inducing fat jokes, also (sarcasm inserted there). You should all be so proud of yourselves. Hahahahahahah….. dumb asses! Hamburgers, hahaha….cheeseburgers, hahaha. I guess I am amongst the oldest ones posting today, since some of us are old enough to drive a car legally.
    And, to the sensitive, hormonal “waah waah” posters…this isn’t charm school, or the catholic school girls’ dormatory. Take your Kotex-sporting butts to women’s tennis if you can’t handle a coach telling it like it is! It’s FOOTBALL, you pussies!
    Do you realize how stupid you sound???

70. bledsoe11 says: Jan 12, 2010 5:31 PM

FanOf Four-that was great !..hilarious…

71. phailing101 says: Jan 12, 2010 5:32 PM

Soooo its not a “best corner award”, its a “guy who played a bunch of positions award?”

72. Tdk24 says: Jan 12, 2010 5:32 PM

This doesn’t mean that Charles is the best at his position. Because we all know he’s not. He’s lost a few steps and it shows. That is why he has more picks now than he ever did in Oakland. The QB’s don’t respect him like they once did. Nhamdi is the best and CB and it shows by the lack of passes in his direction, much like the beginning of Woodson’s career. Shutting down your half of the field is much more impressive than getting more picks.

73. Deb says: Jan 12, 2010 5:34 PM

@Unchained …
    Rex is funny. If you think his wisecracks make up the most consistently unprofessional behavior you’ve seen from an NFL coach, you’ve led a sheltered life as a fan. Here’s his old man Buddy, as DC of the Houston Oilers, throwing a punch at his OC, Kevin Gilbride, in the middle of a game …

74. mburger13 says: Jan 12, 2010 5:41 PM

@ FootballFanatik
    your boy Rex CRYING about the DPOY voting…
    you’re CRYING about the fat jokes….
    and CRYING about other posters….crying??
    makes sense

75. Pack_Attack says: Jan 12, 2010 5:41 PM

Maybe its because the league ignores east coast largest city in America teams! STFU

76. last starfighter says: Jan 12, 2010 5:45 PM

Do you realize how stupid you sound??? ————————————————————-
    I think you’re mistaking moronic internet trolls for normal people, since that’s all Ryan seems to sound like. He’ll have plenty of time to post on the internet after the weekend though

77. tacious says: Jan 12, 2010 5:50 PM

@ Mastershake
    It’s because more than half of these clowns that post comments are pathetic losers that either never went further than HS sports b/c they sucked… or they never played competitive sports at all, and have no idea what it’s like to play for a real coach who cares.

78. broncosfan1129 says: Jan 12, 2010 5:56 PM

I HATE REX RYAN.
    Charles Woodson deserves the DPOY. I don’t give a hoot what fat boy Rex thinks.

79. smokesome says: Jan 12, 2010 5:57 PM

you people act like packers fans did all the voting. these are all respected journalists who have earned their right to vote on the award. it’s comical hearing anyone on here talk about “people who know football know that revis blah blah blah blah.” i think the people who get to, oh you know, actually vote, are the ones who know football, not anyone on here.

80. GoBears84 says: Jan 12, 2010 5:57 PM

A classy response from a classy player, regardless of how trashy his coach is… Revis should be up there with the best players in the league, his footwork/awareness is amazing.

81. prophet of the light says: Jan 12, 2010 6:08 PM

Did he count the one he gave up to Randy Moss?
    I think Revis deserved votes and maybe to win, but Woodson has been a play maker all year long. So I don’t have a problem with Woodson winning.
    Revis is an elite corner. He’d be on my “All American” team if I picked one.

82. redsquare says: Jan 12, 2010 6:16 PM

I agree with MasterShake – why all the insults being hurled at Ryan? What is he saying that any of you jokers are taking personally? Are you relatives of Woodson?
    While you’re pausing between calling him fat and an idiot, reflect on how many NFL teams you’ve coached into the playoffs.
    That disparity doesn’t mean he’s immune from critique, but I don’t see any critique here, just nastiness from a bunch of chumps.

83. Gravy says: Jan 12, 2010 6:16 PM

Lots of teams, especially the Pckers, are going to get a kick out of beating the crap out of this big fat loudmouth moronic jerk.

84. polishkingski says: Jan 12, 2010 6:22 PM

i don`t know about anybody else but i am pulling hard for the jets….i like their style….i never in a million years thought the bengals were gonna beat the jets and a fist full of ten spots made me feel real good, laughing at my buddies that said the bengals were the better team. hey man, this is the playoffs. if you are on a roll, whether its winning the first round game or having a qb that can crank out points like crazy….what ever. all bets are off once the playoffs start. really, isn`t that why we love the nfl so much. its so fxxking exciting. this weekend is the best, the divisonal round. 4 awesome games. yeah, there is alot going on in life (kids, bills, work, mistresses, fxxking the wife enough to keep her happy) but brother, stop and smell those playoff roses!

85. wrath4771 says: Jan 12, 2010 6:34 PM

I said earlier that there should have been co-winners this year, but I don’t get Ryan and some of the New York media’s thinking that because Woodson is versatile he shouldn’t win. Obviously no NFL team would want what Woodson can do…

86. rooski443 says: Jan 12, 2010 6:38 PM

Another screwed up award. Who votes on this crap? Woodson aint half the corner DR is.

87. JpBirdman says: Jan 12, 2010 6:41 PM

How many days until Percy_Harvin and all them reach for their boxes of kleenex? Oh yeah, 5. I guess that’s not too much longer to wait.

88. Deb says: Jan 12, 2010 6:43 PM

@Gravy …
    No disrespect to the Pack … but just when are they gonna do that? The only chance they would have had this season was the the Super Bowl and they just lost any shot at that. Some of you guys are taking Ryan’s comments a little too seriously. Who cares what he says? Woodson’s got the award. End of story.

89. colonial footsoldier says: Jan 12, 2010 6:46 PM

I generally think Rex Ryan is an idiot and I personally have no idea how the Jets made it to the second round of the playoffs. But Rex Ryan is absolutely right on this.
    And now I’m going to do something I normally avoid doing at all costs – paraphrase Kanye West.
    Charles Woodson was good, and I’ma let you finish, but Darrelle Revis had one of the best shutdown seasons of all time!

90. polishkingski says: Jan 12, 2010 6:58 PM

i wonder what pam oliver is doing right now? she is so dreamy…..hey pammy…..would u send me an autograph just to prove my wife wrong? or you could stop by and get aquainted with my wife. i don`t need to be involved. all i ask is you and my wife in seamed tan nylons get a pic together holding the autograph. ok?

91. kahnoodie says: Jan 12, 2010 7:00 PM

It’s probably because the voters fell asleep during Jets games.
    My wife sat down during the Jets/Bangals game, and her first comment was “I thought the playoffs started this week”.

92. kahnoodie says: Jan 12, 2010 7:01 PM

It’s probably because the voters fell asleep during Jets games.

93. FootballFanatik says: Jan 12, 2010 7:09 PM

mburger13, I wasn’t crying one bit. I was pointing out how stupid people sound.
    But, I also know it’s a message board and everyone’s entitled. Have at it!
    But, paranoidandroid is 100% right….wash the sand out of your vags. Welcome to NFL-caliber football, and a coach that isn’t a robot, gives a crap about his team, and is letting everyone know it. Keep on going, Rex! Don’t change a thing!

94. tacious says: Jan 12, 2010 7:13 PM

@ Prophet of the Light
    I could be wrong, but if I remember it correctly, it was Lowery covering Moss on that TD and not Revis.
    I think the only TD that Revis personally gave up this year was the (1) to Ted Ginn Jr.

95. MasterShake says: Jan 12, 2010 7:19 PM

tacious and redsquare:
    Dare I say a Viking and Jet SuperBowl? Saturday @ 10:00am (pst) will be the first test. I really hate the AFC, I really hate the Jets, but I have more respect for that individual team in the AFC than others this year and hopefully that means something. Sanchez may not be Montana or Unitas, yet alone pantyhose man, but just listening to him (rip on his old coach) and not backing down from eating a hot-dog (sorta) means that he’ll stand by his convictions and be the player he is. All he has to do is run the team. He can do that.
    I would kiss Suzie Kolber as well, just not on the face.

96. CKL says: Jan 12, 2010 7:32 PM

Tebow’s a Douche says:
    January 12, 2010 5:19 PM
    _______________________________
    Anyone else laugh at the irony here? :D
    Toonster, agree 100% and I’ve argued the same myself.
    I hate liking Revis because I’m a Pats fan, but the dude is nothing but class all the time. After Welker went down Revis even put up a message on his site (or Twitter or whatever the hell that thing is called) about how he hated to see it. Moss tired to bait him into talking ish after their first meeting saying he had help all the time but he didn’t act like an ass back to Moss either though Moss deserved it. Revis is old school. He respects people, keeps his mouth shut and doesn’t strut around all the time and just plays the game the way it should be played.
    And writers other than a select few like maybe Gosselin don’t generally know enough about the X & O of the game to vote for any award. Any “great player”award that fans and writers vote for is probably a joke because it’s a name recognition/media kiss ass/fan ballot box stuffing type deal. HOF too since writers vote on that.

97. Pervy_Harvin says: Jan 12, 2010 7:34 PM

polishkingski says:
    January 12, 2010 6:58 PM
    i wonder what pam oliver is doing right now? she is so dreamy
    ————————————————–
    I would party with you dude! She has brains and world class junk in the trunk. NFL body of the year for sure!

98. XxGoCanesxX says: Jan 12, 2010 7:35 PM

When trying to make an intelligent argument don’t use somebody’s weight as the sole basis for your post. It just makes you look like an a 16 year old high school kid who just got turned down when asking a girl out. Stop me if you have heard this one before you brainiacs
    You: Hey would you like to go out with me?
    Girl: No!
    You: Oh yeah well your ugly!
    That’s what you sound like people by using Rex Ryan’s weight as your entire argument. I am not a Jets or Packers fan, but I do like an intelligent argument, and think who should have won DPOY is a good one. I do think that Revis is by far the best CB in the NFL, but has he been so for more than a year and a half? No. Woodson has been a Dominant CB for many years and I can see why he won the award. I myself would have voted for Revis, but he will have his time, he’s not going anywhere.
    The same thing goes on with MVP voting, and Pro Bowl voting. It’s not always the best player that gets it, it’s more of a popularity contest.
    Now on to Rex Ryan. I love the fact that he is not obeying the rules of our politically correct society. If he has something he wants to say he says it, he doesn’t sit there and hand you cliche after cliche. It’s refreshing. It certianly rubs people the wrong way but hey every orginization has to have a bad guy, and the NFL has Rex Ryan, so good for him for speaking his mind whenever he wants.

99. ingreenmts says: Jan 12, 2010 7:37 PM

Name one CB that played as good this year….. You can’t. Revis shut down everyone – yes everyone he played against. How often do you see that for a whole year? Should have given it to both of them.

100. Sober says: Jan 12, 2010 7:44 PM

What alot of you are not considering is this is voted for by 50 people, not fans like the probowl, rookie of the year, ect…. having input. As fans most of us have seen all or most of our teams games but only seen highlights or limited exposure to the other teams. Both players deserving but the vote was not contaminated with fans who have time to vote over and over again for their player.

101. IWanttoPunchFloriointheFace says: Jan 12, 2010 7:54 PM

How many Cambodians does it take to knit one of Rex Ryan’s sweaters?
    Eight.

102. Easy Ed says: Jan 12, 2010 8:00 PM

Rex is as big of a jackass as his father was.

103. Alzado's Vein says: Jan 12, 2010 8:02 PM

The more Rex talks, the more I don’t like him. Just shut the fuc# up already.

104. tacious says: Jan 12, 2010 8:09 PM

@ Mastershake
    That would be something, wouldn’t it… but 1st, I’d like to see the Jets make it out of SD with a win and their health… it’s going to be a battle.

105. Plankshelmet says: Jan 12, 2010 8:14 PM

Andre Johnson 4 catches 35 yards 0 Td’s
    R. Moss 4 catches 24 yards 0 TD’s
    Colston 2 catches 33 yards 0 TD’s
    TO 3 catches 13 yards 0 TD’s
    R. Moss 5 catches 34 yards 1 TD
    TO 3 catches 31 yards 0TD’s
    R. Wayne 3 catches 33 yards 0TD’s
    Ochocinco 0 catches 0 yards 0TD’s
    Ochocinco 2 catches 28 yards 0TD’s
    Those are the numbers for WR’s facing Revis this year. Woodson gave up almost 100 yards to Jihnny friggin Knox. PackerNation ple3ase STFU. Youre one and done so go out hunt some deer or something.

106. Sober says: Jan 12, 2010 8:15 PM

I can not speak about Revis being classy or not but here is Woodson link talking about his selection. He is a class act. He does not trash talk in the media or make a spectacle of himself. I can however say Ryan is a jackass. He did not even know his team was still playoff eligible.

107. Huskersrule says: Jan 12, 2010 8:31 PM

No, that’s not the amount of touchdown passes Green Bay gave up against Arizona. That’s the amount of touchdown passes we gave up all season.
    I believe he meant to say “number”.

108. CanadianVikingFan says: Jan 12, 2010 8:37 PM

Woodson deserved it, he did alot for the Pack. Besides he was introduced to the 3-4 scheme and no one except rookies on the Pack. had experience in it. So to overcome the new style of play and still perform in the run game, pass game and making plays on the ball is pretty amazing. Sure he was torched by Kurt Warner, Brett Favre, but he also made plays to win games. He is definately not as good in Man-To-Man as Revis but he does more than Revis does.

109. FordPSD60 says: Jan 12, 2010 9:08 PM

Rex is a whiner like his dad. But if he plays the Colts again I hope he whips their butt. I’m still pissed at the waste of a perfect season attempt.

110. LaughingClown says: Jan 12, 2010 9:10 PM

Rex….good luck you loud mouth dumb ass. 2 years from now you won’t be a head coach anymore because you have/ show NO respect to the game of football, or the guys that play in the league. It’s all about you, and making comments to draw attention to yourself.
    I wish Channing Crowder would have beat the sh*t out of you.

111. RaiderChile says: Jan 12, 2010 10:01 PM

Good for Revis for not being an ass.
    These awards are based on the voting and national media visibility.
    Unfortunately, that’s the way it is.
    Revis had his name being mentioned towards the end of the year where as Woodson’s name was there from the get go and had more prime time air time.
    Congrats to an original Raider.
    Jevis’ time will come Jets fans. At least your still in the playoffs with the only trophy that matters on the line.

112. EddieAdams says: Jan 12, 2010 10:02 PM

There aren’t many fans or even coaches who have seen both EVERY Packers game AND Jets game. Many fans commenting on here have seen most/all of either the Packers OR Jets games. I’m not qualified to judge Revis because I haven’t seen all of his games. I have seen all of Woodson’s games and I was VERY impressed. The 50 judges have done more homework than any of us. Fans just look at stats and think they understand what a guy brings to the game. It goes deeper than stats. Take the Steelers game against Green Bay. Packers give up 503 yards passing and Jets fans will say, “see, Woodson sucks”. But Big Ben said he made a point of never throwing Woodson’s way. Big Ben also told Woodson “you are the DPOY”.
    Rex Ryan hasn’t seen Woodson play very much this year. Understandable, he’s busy being an NFL coach. He sticks up for his players. Good for him. But don’t put much stock in his obviously BIASED opinion.

113. shazard01 says: Jan 12, 2010 10:07 PM

Not saying he deserves it, but more tackles, interceptions, and forced fumles and touchdowns.
    R. Wayne 3 catches 33 yards 0TD’s – How long did he even play 1 qtr if that…..Please, but the rest of the list is pretty good.

114. Favre On HGH says: Jan 12, 2010 11:20 PM

Both of them are true class acts, need more players like them.

115. pakrguru says: Jan 13, 2010 12:45 AM

Funny how the Jets exemplify both ends of the spectrum with their commentary. Revis was dignified, probably (almost) equally deserving of the award, and he defers to Woodson (who also was respectful with his comments). On the other spectrum, Rex I’veneverseenacheeseburgerIdidn’t like Ryan runs his piehole, and sticks his thumb in the eye of the guy who actually won the award.
    Oh…and since some people can’t take the fat Rex Ryan jokes…..
    Eric Cartman thinks Rex Ryan could stand to drop a few lb’s. Fat man running his fat mouth. Nuff said.

116. packers4life says: Jan 13, 2010 2:11 AM

I just lost alot of respect for this fatass pig. First he says his team is out of the playoffs but then proclaims they will win the Super Bowl once they do get it. Now he is crying about Revis not winning the award and congratulating the people who voted for Revis instead of Woodson.
    Why do people even care to report what he says anyway?

117. Tompadre says: Jan 13, 2010 2:35 AM

darkchild says:
    January 12, 2010 5:26 PM
    The JETS will win the Superbowl. Just wait and see.
    ==============================
    And what year will that be??

118. Tompadre says: Jan 13, 2010 3:21 AM

Why isn’t it surprising so many people on this site support such a classless, egotistical jerk? But “he’s refreshing”, “just being honest”, “not being PC”, “he just speaks his mind”. Go ahead and wear your lack of class like a badge of honor and classify those who find his antics repugnant as less than “real men”.
    Ryan has every right, and maybe even obligation, to support his player, but he could have done it about a hundred different ways without insulting another worthy candidate. But this way he gives the sound-bite and gets the air time. This has less to do with supporting his man (could have done that tasefully) and more about getting some face time. His motives aren’t much different than TO’s or Ochocinco’s.
    I guess guys like Walsh, Gibbs, Shula, Landry, Knoll, Parcels and Shanahan didn’t know how to motivate guys the right way and had it all wrong by showing some dignity & class.

119. Tompadre says: Jan 13, 2010 3:28 AM

CKL -
    Agree on the irony – pretty funny!
    Agree on Revis being classy. However, Moss wasn’t talking trash, he was simply disputing a claim by Revis that he covered Moss basically by himself almost all game. Moss said Revis got help most of the day. It was later pointed out by someone who studied the game film that Moss was correct, and later confirmed by someone on the Jets staff.

120. NYSports831 says: Jan 13, 2010 8:19 AM

@ shazardo…The better part of three quarters.
    You people are wild. All this crap about Woodson being more versatile is a joke. Woddson had a great year and I won’t take that from him, but Revis could easily have done just as much as Woodson if he was asked to, but there is no need to force him to because he doesn’t need to compensate for a lack of pure lockdown skills as Woodson needed to. Also, a pick six should not be looked at any differently than a pick without the return because it completely depends on the location of the field you make the int, no one thinks to throw at a man covered by Revis within 5 yards of the line of scrimmage.

121. garylandon41 says: Jan 13, 2010 9:04 AM

Revis’ team defense has much better numbers because the Jets TEAM Defense is much better than the Packers.
    QBs that were average or better tore up the packers defense, not because of Woodson, but because of all the garbage around him

122. todovda says: Jan 13, 2010 9:43 AM

Gotta love Ryan…….. fat a$$ gets into the playoffs because 2 teams lay down for him at the end of the year and he feels he can fire his mouth off.
    Can’t wait to see what he says when he gets “screwed” out of Coach of the Year. Idiot.

123. Nard100 says: Jan 13, 2010 5:04 PM

It took me the longest time to figure out why this guy annoys me so much, but then I remembered. He’s just like his moron father! Am I the only guy who is sick of his, “I’m not as good a coach as Belichik, but I have to try” crap? Just play the stinking game! In response to the at-least-he-says-what-on-his-mind idea; the point is to say something SUBSTANTIVE, not just talk out of your rear end all the time!