Bugel says goodbye

Before the final regular season Sunday of the year, we paid homage to Joe Bugel, who was expected to be coaching for the final time.

On Wednesday, the Redskins organization honored Bugel as he officially announced his retirement.

“He was the definition of a Redskin,” Dan Snyder said.

Bugel spent 15 of his 32 NFL seasons as a Redskins assistant.  His offensive linemen made 14 Pro Bowls in just his Redskins seasons alone.

Speaking to the Washington media Wednesday, Bugel skipped the microphone and addressed the crowd away from a podium.  He used the phrase “knock the snot right outta yer head” and said, “I don’t have a big vocabulary [but] I know every swear word.”

By the end of the talk, the writers in attendance were ready to block for the man. Sounds about right.   Many of his players attended the event, which was followed by a BBQ lunch.

“I love these guys,” Bugel said.  “I will always love these guys. I loved being a Redskin.”

While the team said goodbye to Bugel, the Redskins made plans for the future of their running game.  PFT hears that former Broncos coach Bobby Turner will take the job in Washington as running backs and associate head coach.

Permalink 17 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Rumor Mill, Sprint Football Live - Rumors, Top Stories, Washington Redskins
17 Responses to “Bugel says goodbye”
  1. Diggs says: Jan 13, 2010 1:11 PM

Buges is the man.
    Thank you, Boss Hog. Hope you don’t stray far from the Redskins franchise.

2. oldskool says: Jan 13, 2010 1:11 PM

Buges you’ll always be the man and a legend in your own time. Thanks for all the years of service and enjoy retirement.

3. gopherb24 says: Jan 13, 2010 1:13 PM

“He was the definition of a Redskin,” Dan Snyder said.
    Oh, so that’s what a Redskin is–it’s Joe Bugel! All this time I thought “Redskin” was a slightly derogatory term for Native Americans. Hmm…maybe that’s how they get away with keeping the name.

4. brasho says: Jan 13, 2010 1:20 PM

Joe was always a classy guy. Perhaps he wasn’t the greatest head coach in league history but I remember when he started to turn around the Cardinals (7-9) and had a good young with a good young QB that seemed destined to only get better… but then Bugel was fired in favor of Buddy Ryan, who had just been canned by Philly. Ryan ran Steve Beuerline out of town and any success and hope for the future.

5. RIP__21 says: Jan 13, 2010 1:21 PM

Enjoy your retirement Joe. God knows you’ve earned it!

6. Cleg says: Jan 13, 2010 1:41 PM

@gopherb24 – get bent.
    Hail to the Redskins.

7. 828tnt says: Jan 13, 2010 1:46 PM

god bless buges! the nfl lost something today…..

8. dcfan-1212450 says: Jan 13, 2010 1:52 PM

Love the guy, and any Skins fan knows he got the very best from his players. Too bad the talent the second time around couldn’t match the coach. Farewell boss hog.
    @gopherb24
    __________________________________
    Like you didn’t know the meaning behind the statement. Give me a break. The only name the Redskins could change their name to is Pigskins and then Snyder would say Bugel was a true Pigskin, but then that disgraces pigs right… The name is derogatory we all know, but cmon dude, you know what he meant. Post something worth reading next time…

9. Brohamma says: Jan 13, 2010 2:03 PM

Congrats Joe, enjoy the retirement. Well earned!
    On a funnier, side-note… the first time I read through the article I read: “He’s the true definition of a Foreskin.”

10. bearsrule says: Jan 13, 2010 2:13 PM

gopherb24 says: January 13, 2010 1:13 PM
    “He was the definition of a Redskin,” Dan Snyder said.
    Thank you, Reverund.

11. theravenlives2 says: Jan 13, 2010 2:14 PM

“He was the definition of a Redskin,” Dan Snyder said.
    So, he:
    1) Overpaid for washed-up veterans.
    2) Hired the coaching flavor-of-the-month.
    3) Spent money like a drunken sailor with little or no return.
    4) Charged fans for training camp.
    5) Made fans pay for their season tickets only on a Redskins credit card.
    6) Charged an arm and a leg to park, while not allowing fans to walk in from lots outside the stadium.
    If that was who Joe was, then I think the Foreskins are better off with him gone!
    Fail to the Foreskins (although Danny Boy is already making sure this happens).

12. Sociofan says: Jan 13, 2010 2:21 PM

The Skins were always a better organization when you were a part of it Joe. We fans noticed, and we will miss you. Enjoy your fishing hole.

13. dr.g says: Jan 13, 2010 2:44 PM

As a Cowboys fan of many decades I offer my respect to Bugel and hopes that he enjoys retirement. One of the top o-line coaches in league history.

14. lurch's nyquil says: Jan 13, 2010 2:56 PM

theravenlives
    What are you talking about, Buges never did anything of the 6 things you listed.
    That was Snyder. There are more and more idiots on here everyday. I mean my god what are you talking about. Do you even know who Bugel is?

15. BENITO says: Jan 13, 2010 3:54 PM

i heard bugel talking about “knife blocking” when i was a kid and i was instantly fascinated by all things o-line. i got into coaching because of that interview…so long joe!

16. OranjelloJones says: Jan 13, 2010 4:02 PM

Don’t let the door hit ya where the good lord split ya lukestrass, I’m pretty sure Bugle couldn’t give two craps about you either. I can pretty much guarantee no one at Fed Ex will miss ya on game days as well.

17. Clint Martin says: Jan 13, 2010 8:14 PM

Bugel was well liked when a Head Coach in Arizona, and knows more about football than all us “commenters” combined.
    Wishing Joe Bugel a long and fullfilling retirement!