Chris Johnson wins offensive player of the year

Chris Johnson didn’t get a MVP vote, but he will take home some hardware.

Johnson was named the NFL’s offensive player of the year Wednesday. Johnson earned 38 1/2 votes, while Drew Brees finished a distant second with nine votes.  Peyton Manning got 1 1/2 votes, and Philip Rivers earned one.

“I kind of realize what I did and I feel like I had a dream season,” Johnson told the Associated Press.  “I didn’t even get one vote at all [for MVP]. Like the
season I had, it seemed like, ‘What more do they want me to do?’ That
just felt like rookie of the year; it’s a quarterback thing I guess.”

Well, now Johnson has something.  Even if we’re not entirely sure what the award signifies.

It seems to be for best offensive player that was stuck on a bad team.  Or the guy with the best stats other than the MVP.  Or basically a way to give more players a taste of postseason honors.

Whatever the reason, it’s hard to argue that “Every Coach’s Dream” doesn’t deserve all the acclaim coming his ways.  No player has ever gained more yards from scrimmage in a season.

Permalink 39 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Indianapolis Colts, New Orleans Saints, Rumor Mill, Sprint Football Live - Rumors, Tennessee Titans, Top Stories
39 Responses to “Chris Johnson wins offensive player of the year”
  1. licavoli says: Jan 13, 2010 11:07 AM

“It seems to be for best offensive player that was stuck on a bad team.”
    The Titans werent a bad team. They just had a bad first 6 games. They were essentially the same team that went 13-3 the year before.

2. jeffragnarchicken says: Jan 13, 2010 11:08 AM

ALL these awards are jokes.
    Johnson no MVP votes but OPOY?
    Manning MVP but 3rd in this voting?
    It’s almost like the fans are voting!
    Ralphie in A Christmas Story:
    ” Football, what’s a football?!”

3. titan87 says: Jan 13, 2010 11:09 AM

Chris Johnson should have been the MVP. It is extremely biased to the quarterback position. Without C.J. on the Titans this year they probably would have lost a ton more games. It shouldn’t be C.J.’s fault that the Titans can’t play defense. He did in one year something that has not ever been done before with rushing over 2,000 yds. and receiving over 500 yds. While Peyton might have had his 3 best season. Maybe C.J. needs to play corner as well next year to help the defense stop someone. Maybe just maybe this is what he needs to beat one of these QB’s for MVP. Especially if the QB name is Peyton, Tom, or Brett.

4. ZombieRevolution says: Jan 13, 2010 11:10 AM

“It seems to be for best offensive player that was stuck on a bad team.”
    PFT- Not the Most Valuable Publication.

5. geek says: Jan 13, 2010 11:11 AM

Oh come on. I hate Manning, but you have to give him credit. He had two rookie WRs (and a great all-pro), a good line, a decent defense and a mediocre RB with a brand new coach. He carried the team on his shoulders to what probably could have been a perfect season (we’ll never know since the didn’t try). Half of those games had fourth quarter come backs led by Manning and touchdowns willed in by his arm alone.
    Yes, every coach would dream of having a stud RB like Johnson, and he is an amazing athlete. Just ask the Chargers whether they’d rather have given up LT at his peak if it meant winning more games. A stud RB is a wonderful thing to have, and if the Titans had followed up last season’s performance with an encore, he’d probably get it. But they stank most of the year, and that stud RB couldn’t will a win for the team.
    Brees did great, but he had a seasoned coach, a powerful running game and a top notch defense, not to mention a slew of good receivers. Was he worthy of consideraton? Yes, but not to the point of getting it over Manning.
    Again, I hate Manning. But you have to give him his due: no single player was more responsible for the success of their team than he was. OK, maybe Darrelle Revis has a gripe, right Coach Ryan?

6. jamesz23 says: Jan 13, 2010 11:11 AM

Favre should have gotten at least 1 or 2 votes. Even though his numbers were a little uneven 17 tds 0 ints against the Packers twice, Bears twice & an inspired Giants team the last game.
    16 tds 7 ints in the other 11 games. But he played great this season gotta give the old gunslinger a nod.

7. chiefysneekz says: Jan 13, 2010 11:12 AM

Every Coaches Dream, hahahahah he sure did back up all his talk at the beginning of the season. I hope he goes off next year and breaks Dickersons rush record.

8. XLI says: Jan 13, 2010 11:12 AM

That ought to keep his panties unwaded for awhile.
    Not sure any player can say “I’m going to get my MVP trophy” and get ZERO votes at the same time.
    Also, take a look back at the players that have had these massive workload seasons. The following season almost never has even close results. Johnson is young enough to shake that trend, but history isn’t too kind to players the next year.

9. The Coop says: Jan 13, 2010 11:16 AM

Usain Bolt and Ted Ginn would still kick his ass in a race.

10. Zeppelin53 says: Jan 13, 2010 11:16 AM

Yes, Manning is far more valuable.
    The Titans with or without Chris Johnson – missed the playoffs.
    The Colts with Manning were 14-0 and could’ve gone 16-0.
    Plus Manning is a better offensive player anyway all-around…but Chris Johnson had a very good year. Manning has complete control over the plays and calls on offense. Definitely more valuable.

11. RIP__21 says: Jan 13, 2010 11:22 AM

CJ deserve this award for joining the elite 2k rushing club and breaking faulks’ yards from scrimmage record.
    I have to say though, Phillip Rivers gets no respect. The guy has won 3 straight division titles and led the league in qb rating for the last two seasons. He does all this and gets a measley one vote?
    And hows the moron splitting his vote? Vote for one person damnit!

12. jeffragnerchicken says: Jan 13, 2010 11:22 AM

this was a no doubter.
    Johnson is by far the best running back in the game
    If only Adrian Peterson could hang on to the football and gains some yardage my vikings could maybe win a super bowl this year.
    but I doubt it.
    We are a pathetic franchise and I just don’t see the Vikes getting by the Cowboys. I’m sick of this
    Reality is setting in for me that all those wins in the regular season mean nothing now.
    loose once and you’re done.

13. sven_ftw says: Jan 13, 2010 11:23 AM

well deserved… awesome year for that young man.

14. PhillyHouse says: Jan 13, 2010 11:23 AM

To me, the whole MVP vs. OPY thing makes sense.
    The MVP accounts for things that like intangibles that statistics can’t account for. Peyton has more of those types of things than Brees (and I’m not saying Brees isn’t a good leader).
    With the OYP, it’s more like who had the best year in fantasy football type of thing. It’s more TD and yards driven. The last sentence of this article summed up why Johnson deserved the award.

15. pftfanboy says: Jan 13, 2010 11:23 AM

i think he is great but he did not have an MVP season.
    That team let a few games go to get him the record. I dont really remember the circumstances surrounding Faulk when he had the most yards from scrimmage, but i doubt they were feeding him the ball when the team was down 2 or 3 scores in the 4th.
    All in all – he is a great player, a little full of himself, and he needs to realize he should have had at least 30 less carries.

16. Drat says: Jan 13, 2010 11:25 AM

Florio continues to struggle with the concept of “valuable.” Take Chris Johnson away from the Titans and what are they? Just another bad non-p-layoff team. Take Manning away from the Colts and what are they? Exactly, just another bad non-playoff team.

17. pftfanboy says: Jan 13, 2010 11:34 AM

how many carries did he have this year? too lazy to look it up.
    i hope for his sake it wasnt more than 375.
    i think the dude is awesome – but any more than 375 and it is all down hill from here.

18. Love_Boat_Scandal says: Jan 13, 2010 11:39 AM

He deserved it. He had an incredible year.

19. Love_Boat_Scandal says: Jan 13, 2010 11:40 AM

He deserved it. He had an incredible year.

20. Pervy__Harvin says: Jan 13, 2010 11:46 AM

BS, this hands down goes to either my boy Rice or Harvin!What a joke Vikes always getting screwed as usual.When we win this super bowl this year I would hope to see lots of change in the NFL starting with a little purple in the NFL logo and more respect from te opposition,I wouldnt be suprised if Lamblow is required to add some purple in their decor.
    SKOL!!!!

21. jeffragnarchicken says: Jan 13, 2010 11:51 AM

jeffragnerchicken says:
    January 13, 2010 11:22 AM
    this was a no doubter.
    Johnson is by far the best running back in the game
    but I doubt it.
    loose once and you’re done.
    ===============================
    To the faux me above:
    Your last line.
    Obviously you are a fan of the Packers and know this 1st hand, or you are a fan of a team( say the Steelers) that didn’t make the tournament.
    Either way, you are a pathetic turd and now have nothing better to do than pretend to be someone else.
    If I were you, I’d look into taking a few appliances into the bathtub with you.

22. Pack_Attack says: Jan 13, 2010 11:55 AM

The press is waiting for Rex Ryan to emerge from Dennys this morning for a comment.

23. CtownBleedsGreen says: Jan 13, 2010 12:02 PM

raiders177 says:
    January 13, 2010 11:03 AM
    This is a severe injustice to JaMarcus
    _______________________
    Damn straight! With all the turds he laid on the field, he should have been the most offensive player of the year!

24. jx4cmario1 says: Jan 13, 2010 12:03 PM

Pervy’s imposter can join him in the tub, but it’s problem the same pathetic turd.

25. The Hormel Row of Fame says: Jan 13, 2010 12:04 PM

The award is “Offensive Player of the Year”. By standards, CJ had an insane good year (compared to other RBs). To mention Manning, Brees, Brady or even Favre is a biased vote (which is not a poke at anyone), due to the fact that they did not put up numbers that were heads & tails better than previous years, let alone the rest of the QB field. As much as I hate to say it (as a Viking), you could also make the same biased argument for Aaron Rodgers. He had the same (if not better) #s as Favre, Manning, Brees & Brady. Maybe Steven Jackson? Great #s on a failing team. This award is given to the best offensive player regardless of team’s final standings, not handed to the person who most contributed to his team’s success… that’s the MVP.

26. jeffragnerchicken says: Jan 13, 2010 12:05 PM

Pervy,
    We should get together for this game Sunday.
    i hope I am wrong but we are going to need each others support i think
    loosing another first playoff game with all the expectations would be hard
    Mom will be there. She will cook.
    We could maybe decide who we should be a fan of next year.
    maybe a powerhouse like the Chargers or Colts?
    I wouldn’t mind getting out of the NFC.
    Too many asshats and morons that are idiots

27. jamesz23 says: Jan 13, 2010 12:05 PM

Pervy you are way too obsessed with the Packers – everything you post has something to do with them. They’re finished, their seasons over. We get it they play in a crappy stadium and have overrated players throughout their roster. The Vikings are a dynasty and 1 of the greatest rosters ever assembled.

28. TheBigEasy99 says: Jan 13, 2010 12:16 PM

Drew Brees became only the second player to throw for 5000+ yards in a season and he finished tied for the league lead in touchdown passes but lost out on the MVP award to Peyton Manning (who had inferior individual stats) because his team didn’t make the playoffs. He won the Offensive Player of the Year award instead. I don’t remember anyone crying for Brees like they are for Chris Johnson in what was a remarkably similar situation. If your team doesn’t make the playoffs it’s hard to make a case that you were the most valuable player in the league to your team.

29. AutumnWind999 says: Jan 13, 2010 12:41 PM

It definitely is weird but I don’t mind spreading the honors around. You could argue that Manning is the most valuable player because of the tone he sets for that team, his leadership, his orchestrating of the entire offense from pre-snap through the end of the play and yes his incredible performance too. Offensive player of the year would be more like the scoring champ in the NBA: give it to the guy who cranks out the most impressive offensive numbers that season, regardless of position or his team’s record.
    A RB could still win the MVP if they’re on a run-heavy team that has a stellar record and viewed as a team leader. If Manning’s Colts were 8-8 and CJ’s Titans were 14-2 CJ probably would’ve got the MVP too.
    You can complain that MVP seems to be reserved for QBs only, but let’s face it — the QB position is tougher and 10x more important than any other position on the field. Excellent QBs deserve the credit.
    If the Raiders had Peyton Manning as their QB this season they finish at least 12-4. With JaMarcus for most of the year they finish 5-11 (and he wasn’t even the starter for 3 of those wins). If the Colts had to hand it over to Curtis Painter in Week 1 they probably finish around 4-12 … if they’re lucky. That’s what having an MVP QB does for your team.

30. SteelCurtnDee says: Jan 13, 2010 12:42 PM

Man Chris Johnson is fun to watch but as soon as he opens his mouth I despise him. How can you sit there and complain about no MVP votes when your team wasn’t in the playoffs?
    Let me ask you this…
    Colts lose Peyton manning and have to start Sorgi for a full season.
    Titans lose Chris Johnson and have to start Lendale White for a full season.
    Which team would suffer more? THAT’s why Peyton Manning won the MVP award.

31. kellyb9 says: Jan 13, 2010 12:43 PM

Chris Johnson did something 1 of 6 people in the history of the NFL did by surpassing the 2,000 yard mark. The MVP award is so completely biased towards QB’s named Manning or Brady its ridiculous. Chris Johnson only beat out the next RB by 500 yards on a team that was typically playing from behind for a large portion of the season.

Everyone wants to throw out the take a player away from a team argument. Fine. then I see no reason why Favre shouldnt have it or Brees.

@geek – Are you kidding me? There’s 31 others QB’s in the league that would love to throw to Reggie Wayne and Dallas Clark. He’s been surrounded with offensive weapons his entire career and finally, the year he doesn’t have Marvin Harrison and a big time number one back people are praising him for his ability to make do. God, why wasnt anyone throwing the MVP at Brady when he made the AFC championship with Reche Caldwell, Jabar Gaffney, and Lawerance Maroney.

Face the facts, Manning does NOT LEAD A SINGLE MAJOR PASSING STATISTIC! In most cases, he’s behind both Brees and Favre. I’m so sick of him winning it every single year. How about somebody else… you know someone who deserves the award.

32. geek says: Jan 13, 2010 12:56 PM

Well said Pack_Attack, except I think he frequents IHOP. Florio likes to go with him and massage his bunions while telling him how great it is to finally have a coach who tells it like it is. He’s just hoping to get to be the first to quote the latest one-liner about how wonderful Revis is.
    For all of you griping about this being a QB-biased award, I would argue that it is an offense-biased award (as are most dim-witted fans that can only understand points). I’m not a big Revis fan, but you could argue that he is the biggest reason for the Jets being in the playoffs. Oh wait, maybe that is why Manning got the award: he’s responsible for the Colts and the Jets getting into the playoffs…

33. jeffragnarchicken says: Jan 13, 2010 1:26 PM

jeffragnerchicken says:
    January 13, 2010 12:05 PM
    Pervy,
    We should get together for this game Sunday.
    i hope I am wrong but we are going to need each others support i think
    loosing another first playoff game with all the expectations would be hard
    Mom will be there. She will cook.
    We could maybe decide who we should be a fan of next year.
    maybe a powerhouse like the Chargers or Colts?
    I wouldn’t mind getting out of the NFC.
    Too many asshats and morons that are idiots
    ==================================
    You know, faux me, if you are going to pretend to be me, at least make it worthwhile.
    I’m pretty sure the only one that finds it humorous is you.
    How pathetic does your life have to be, that you are pretending to be 2 other peopl on this site?
    I’m suprised that you find the time to type at all.
    Someone as nuts as you is probably a compulsive masterbater. You go and go until it bleeds, then you use the blood for lubrication.
    Listen, i don’t blame you for trying to tkae Pervy and I down, we are both caustic and stir the pot.
    The sad part is you can’t face us und your own screen name. you hide behind fake monikers and come out with some of the dumbest posts I have ever read.
    If you think that this is somehow going to get rid of us, you are sorely mistaken.
    You are probably that pathetic excuse for a poster Omega, he seems to have disappeared.
    Nobody paid attention to you under that handle, you were just an idiot Steeler fam trolling Vikes/Packer posts because the “champs” don’t matter this year.
    Whoever you are, you need to take stock in your life. That you post under 3 different handles on a sports talk website, speaks volumes of how sad and pathetic your real life must be.
    I bet you have never seen a woman naked in the flesh yet have you?
    I actually feel somewhat sorry for you.
    The best you can do at this is pretend to be someone else that is superior to you in every facet of life.
    I’ve given you enough of my time.
    Suffice it to say, you need to take stock of yourself.
    The appliances in the tub is probaly the best option you have. Listen to the Chicken, the voices in your head also can’t be wrong.
    “when the song peaks, I want you to throw it in!”

34. Anarcho Purplism says: Jan 13, 2010 1:32 PM

In offensive skill positions, stats matter a bit more than on D…..in my opinion. He had 12 100yds+ games (11 in a row), 4 150yds+ games, Averaged 5.6yds per carry & 1 TD per game & he made the 2,000 yard club!
    In case you don’t know how uncommon 2,000 yards is…..the %chance is 1/10th 1% of the time in compared to 43% of the time.
    Johnson made the history books. It’s only the 6th time EVER! He helped turn his team around & finished hot.
    Nothing wrong with spreading around the hardware…..its a TEAM SPORT anyway, so there will always be room for debate.
    NFL.com Bio on Johnson
    Johnson rushed for 2,006 yards in 2009, becoming the sixth player in NFL history to rush for 2,000 yards. He also broke the yards from scrimmage record, totaling 2,509. Johnson recorded 11 consecutive 100-yard games, tied for the second-longest streak in NFL history, and posted at least 125 rushing yards in six consecutive games, tying the NFL record. This season, Johnson became the first player in NFL history with six consecutive games of 125-plus rushing yards and a 5-plus yards per carry average in each of those games. In Week 2, Johnson became the first player in NFL history to record a 90-plus yard rushing touchdown (91), 50-plus yard rushing touchdown (57), and 60-plus yard receiving touchdown (69) in a game. Johnson started all 16 games and had 14 rushing touchdowns. He was nominated for six FedEx Ground NFL Player of the Week awards in 2009, winning twice.
    Give the man his due. History was made.

35. texasPHINSfan says: Jan 13, 2010 3:28 PM

I don’t think Chris Johnson can win MVP just by virtue of the fact he couldn’t carry his team to the playoffs alone.
    Peyton Manning, Drew Brees? Now those guys carry those teams. Take either player away and those teams see less than half of the wins they did this year and neither makes the playoffs.
    So, most *valuable* player? Seems to me the guy that if you took him away from the team, would lose the most.
    Chris was most impressive, deserves this offense award, but he was no MVP, if we’re following definitions. Good to see him get some hardware though, this season was nothing short of amazing for him. :)

36. kellyb9 says: Jan 13, 2010 3:41 PM

@texasPHINSfan – you’re forgetting the fact that this team was FREQUENTLY behind in the scoreboard. Chris Johnson broke the record on a team that likely had to throw the ball quite often. Thats the amazing part in my books that makes this guy an MVP.

37. ericb500 says: Jan 13, 2010 4:29 PM

CJ was the MVP. It’s racist (i.e., bioased toward the QB position, which everyone knows is racist – not as much as it used to be but…). Come on. It’s ridiculous. Has one of the best seasons of any player ever. He’s MVP. Peyton’s great but there was a better and MORE VALUABLE player this year.

38. Loqi says: Jan 14, 2010 1:15 AM

Rosenthal – (So Manning was far more valuable than Brees, but not a better offensive player?)
    You seem to forget that Manning is a great defensive player as well! I think he also returns punts. Dude’s crazy.

39. Tompadre says: Jan 14, 2010 8:08 AM

Johnson had an outstanding year and it’s great to see him get recognized for it!