Report: Jon Gruden contacted by Tennessee

It’s not a surprise Jon Gruden’s name quickly came up in speculation regarding the Tennessee coaching vacancy.

It’s also not a surprise he declined to take Lane Kiffin’s sloppy seconds when contacted by Tennessee athletic director Mike Hamilton Tuesday night, according to Sporting News.

Gruden was once an assistant at Tennessee and his wife is from there.  Hamilton reportedly spoke with Gruden last year as well before Kiffin took the job.

But the ESPN analyst has made it clear he likes his current gig, and we can’t imagine him returning to coaching except at the pro level.

Pete Carroll said it Tuesday:  the competition is the best in the NFL, and that’s why he wanted to prove he could compete with the best.

After all, if Lane Kiffin landed two of the best jobs in the country in back-to-back years, how great could college football be?

Permalink 23 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Rumor Mill, Sprint Football Live - Rumors, Top Stories
23 Responses to “Report: Jon Gruden contacted by Tennessee”
  1. shukey11 says: Jan 13, 2010 4:47 PM

Lane Kiffin reminds me of mangini light

2. rjgreen3 says: Jan 13, 2010 4:48 PM

SOMEONE PLEASE GIVE THIS MAN A JOB SO WE CAN LISTEN TO MONDAY NIGHT FOOTBALL AGAIN………………… MAYBE HE CAN TAKE BRADY QUINN WITH YOU! PLEASE GIVE HIM A JOB!!!!!!

3. Jim01 says: Jan 13, 2010 4:49 PM

I don’t get it? Is Lane Kiffin good? Cause he really is just a piece of trash.

4. MasterShake says: Jan 13, 2010 5:02 PM

I have a certain respect for Gruden, personally don’t know the man so take that for what it’s worth. You would think that after Tampa ditched him to provide a superbowl for another coach, it would open his eyes to how the south is still the toilet bowl of the US. Tennessee and Mississipi, just look at those two state names. Mix something new and fresh in there unless you are just a conformist and stupid southerner.
    Speaking of toilet bowls, New Orleans is chump change to the debacle that is happening in Haiti. New Orleans disaster is now officially forgotten. That’s how irrelevant you are.
    Burn your flags South, the North won a long time ago!

5. dcsween says: Jan 13, 2010 5:08 PM

shukey11 says:
    January 13, 2010 4:47 PM
    Lane Kiffin reminds me of mangini light
    >>> More accurately, Mangini Little.

6. TFBuckFutter says: Jan 13, 2010 5:09 PM

“Pete Carroll said it Tuesday: the competition is the best in the NFL, and that’s why he wanted to prove he could compete with the best.”
    Didn’t he already try to prove that, and fail miserably?
    Taking a Super Bowl losing team to 8-8 in three years, and then have it rebuilt into a championship team only 2 seasons later? That’s failure in my book. And damn did he oversee some god awful drafts. I still remember his final season. The team started 6-2 with Bledsoe getting MVP consideration…..finished 8-8. Talk about losing your team.
    As for Lane Kiffin…..I’m starting to think Al Davis may not be AS crazy as we all thought.

7. Deb says: Jan 13, 2010 5:09 PM

Yes, I prefer pro ball, too, Gregg, but I enjoyed the Little Lanie Traveling Comedy Troupe while it played Knoxville. It’s hard to find off-field entertainment like that in the pros.
    FYI, college ball is best in the South and better still in the football Mecca that is Tuscaloosa.
    13 National Championships!
    ROLL TIDE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

8. J says: Jan 13, 2010 5:12 PM

I seriously don’t understand how a decent program can offer a gig to John overrated Gruden, when he was in Tampa he hated young players, wasn’t unable to develop a young Qb and was terrible recognizing talent (his draft were awful and since he was the one who brought GM Allen lets just said Gruden was responsible for those draft picks.
    When would people realize he is not that good.

9. 4ever19 says: Jan 13, 2010 5:37 PM

Jon Gruden is no better coach than announcer – just that he isn’t judged on wins and losses when he is in the booth.

10. guyecaprio says: Jan 13, 2010 5:47 PM

It can be great b/c the coach has the final say over his players. Many coaches in NFL have had careers fail, derailed, and/or compromised due to inept front offices. It’s amazing how a team that drafts poorly or refuses to pay players can turn someone into a “bad” coach. Injuries factor in as well. I think every coach needs three years to implement a system, know his team, and learn the competition to be fairly evaluated. And if coaching in college wasn’t great, it might be easier for also-ran NFL failures to be hired for college head coaching positions. Should I believe a guy like Jim Zorn would rather be a coordinator in the NFL than head coach at a school like Tennessee? If so, then he or others like him are idiots. As for Pete Carroll, of course the competition is best in the NFL, but that’s why it’s professional. The competition didn’t look great the last few weeks of the season when teams rested their starters though. We’ll see what guys like Cowher do when he returns to the NFL without the support of the Steeler’s great organization behind him.

11. Deb says: Jan 13, 2010 6:14 PM

@guyecaprio …
    “We’ll see what guys like Cowher do when he returns to the NFL without the support of the Steeler’s great organization behind him.”
    ——————————————-
    I’m a diehard Steelers fan and think Cowher is a very good coach but you make a good point. I’m a little curious to see that myself.

12. schlicht says: Jan 13, 2010 6:51 PM

This is the first time I’ve ever agreed w/ Rosenthal!

13. BasicInstinct says: Jan 13, 2010 6:55 PM

If Tennessee wants to hire a coach who will stick around, he has to be Fat! Has to love Hog Jowls, BBQ, Cornbread slathered with butter. I am thinking that as soon as Tom Cable is fired……but let’s face it, Mangino would be a god at Tennessee!

14. slipkid says: Jan 13, 2010 7:25 PM

we will keep our flags. they infuriate you so.
    if northern troops really knew they were “fighting to free slaves”, they would have stayed home.
    where are the race riots? oh yes – in union states.
    opportunity is in the south. they understand that the northern way (unions) is not workable. i live in michigan, a heavily unionized state.
    people are fleeing michigan. and not just because of snow!

15. Ornan says: Jan 13, 2010 7:49 PM

I’m soooooooo glad Chucky isn’t going to Tennessee!

16. Palaceofsin says: Jan 13, 2010 8:33 PM

What do you think the odds are Al Davis is secretly running the Tennessee football program.

17. Little Tommy says: Jan 13, 2010 8:38 PM

we will keep our flags. they infuriate you so.
    where are the race riots? oh yes – in union states.
    people are fleeing michigan. and not just because of snow!
    WHAT IN GOD’S NAME HAS ANY OF THIS TO DO WITH FOOTBALL??? YOU’RE TAKING UP VALUABLE MONITOR SPACE WITH THIS CRAP – GIVE IT UP – WHO CARES…

18. Deb says: Jan 13, 2010 8:59 PM

@Palaceofsin …
    Since the Vols went from being a National Champs to an SEC joke … pretty good!
    @BasicInstinct …
    The BBQ and cornbread are mighty fine in Tuscaloosa and north Florida, too, but Saban and Meyer aren’t fat. Of course, they’ve been busy building National Champs.
    Do you know anything about the South beyond idiotic stereotypes?

19. MasterShake says: Jan 13, 2010 10:13 PM

slipkid says:
    January 13, 2010 7:25 PM
    “we will keep our flags. they infuriate you so.
    where are the race riots? oh yes – in union states.
    people are fleeing michigan. and not just because of snow!”
    Oooooooookkkkkkaaaayyyyyyy:
    Maybe their leaving Michigan because your redneck ass lives there?
    The flags don’t infuriate many people, it’s the stupid bastards like yourself that stand behind them or better yet below them.
    I have more to say on your ignorant post but I’ll leave that up to the rest. You sir are a bigot.

20. Cornerdenizen says: Jan 14, 2010 11:55 AM

@Mastershake:
    So, because of the earthquake in Haiti, Hurricane Katrina is “officially forgotten?”
    let me see if I have this straight: One disaster renders another disaster irrelevant?
    Wow. That, sir, is some interesting logic.

21. MasterShakeIsADoucheBag says: Jan 14, 2010 9:39 PM

@MasterShake
    People like you are why the good hard working people of the south don’t always like people from the north. You are nothing but a pretentious jerk. Although I agree some people from the south are stupid you have just proved that stupidity is more than just a southern thing. Way to show your own stupidity and ingorance trying to insult other people.

22. MasterShake says: Jan 14, 2010 10:47 PM

@Cornerdenizen
    Show us how often that doesn’t happen. Not saying it’s right but history proves as much. You are forgiven.
    For the person that took the time to create a name in my honor. Thanks? I would be flattered but I never said I was from the North. But then again, I bet you don’t know the difference between stupidity and ignorace since you missed one. No insults my friends, just the truth. Sometimes, the truth hurts.

23. MasterShakeIsADoucheBag says: Jan 15, 2010 12:24 AM

@MasterShake
    I may be a “dumb southerner” to you, but I assure I am a college graduate and I am also currently attend the University of Tennessee in Memphis Pharmacy School so I am not stupid. You are ignorant to the fact that this isn’t the 1860′s or 1960′s for that matter. A lot has change in the south and there are good people here. You think that you’re so much better than us here but you’re not we are all the same. As far as my misspelling of ignorance a simple slip of the finger, which I might add that you did as well and if you were to make fun of me for spelling it wrong you didn’t even do that right. This is a site about sports not for you to bash a whole region of the country to make yourself feel better you pompous jerk.