Bettis: Cowher is waiting for Giants job

Another spin of the coaching carousel will come and go without Bill Cowher returning to the NFL.  Jerome Bettis has an idea where “The Chin” would like to jump back on.

“[The Giants are] the team that he really coveted,” Bettis said on Sirius XM’s Mad Dog Radio with Chris Russo Thursday.  “This is where
he always wanted to be.  The Mara family, he’s been very close to them. . . .  He’s known them very well and was on the inside track — before the
Giants won the Super Bowl — for that job.  And I think he’s holding out
for that opportunity if it presents itself.”

Bettis probably annoyed a few folks with that quote:  The Giants, Cowher, Coughlin, and NBC for not sharing that scoop back in 2008.  (Oh, and the Jets for knocking them off the back page Friday.)

Permalink 21 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: New York Giants, Rumor Mill, Sprint Football Live - Rumors, Top Stories
21 Responses to “Bettis: Cowher is waiting for Giants job”
  1. Deb says: Jan 14, 2010 6:55 PM

That’s what I said! Not that he was waiting for the Giants–thought he was waiting for Carolina. But I thought the Giants would be a perfect fit for him. The Maras operate much like the Rooneys. The Giants play the same style football the Steelers play. It’s an NFC team, so barring a Super Bowl meeting, he’d only have to play the Steelers every four years. There’s no rivalry or conflict. The Maras and Rooneys are close. New York is a big stage.
    Given all the ups and downs Coughlin’s had since he’s been with the Giants, if it weren’t for that Super Bowl win, he’d already be out. And I wouldn’t be a bit surprised to see Cowher in Giants blue.

2. Chapnasty2 says: Jan 14, 2010 6:58 PM

“A Super Bowl title only buys you two years off the hot seat these days.”
    While not winning one gets you contract extensions… See Andy Reid

3. brownsfn says: Jan 14, 2010 6:58 PM

These ex players just need to keep their mouths shut..

4. gopherb24 says: Jan 14, 2010 6:59 PM

And Jerome Bettis became a credible reporter….when?

5. bob _ nelson says: Jan 14, 2010 7:10 PM

As a ex packer fan I can now see how lame it was for all of us trailer park,cheap beer drinking,wife beating,welfare,cowtipping,homosexual,packerfans were.I am glad I have finaly seen the light.I know now everything looks better in purple.
    Even Vince Lombardi came to his senses and left the Packers.

6. WWNYGD says: Jan 14, 2010 7:14 PM

Coughlin hinted that this was going to be his last contract before he retired. The Chin only has to wait a two years more and then its his. He makes enough money and he is young enough. That is really not much time.

7. The Jimmy says: Jan 14, 2010 7:20 PM

gopherb24 says:
    January 14, 2010 6:59 PM
    And Jerome Bettis became a credible reporter….when?
    ____________________
    He was pretty accurate when he reported that Cowher was going to retire after the 2006 season. Cowher got really pissed, denied it and then, you know, retired.

8. Bigbluefan says: Jan 14, 2010 7:39 PM

A dream come true the Chin in big Blue
    The fans would support him he is much better then anything else in the east
    He has a SB MVP running his O and his D just needs someone that can coach
    Tom C time to go bye bye

9. wferg1121 says: Jan 14, 2010 9:28 PM

Big Giants fan, I am not willing to wait 14 years for Cowher to deliver a superbowl like he did in Pittsburg. Coughlin won in year 4 and had the Giants in position to repeat, but Plaxico managed to screw that up. Cowhers teams were allowed to go up and down in Pittsburg because he had friendly ownership.. That would never happen in NY… I like Cowher as a coach, but just like people give Spags credit for the Giants Superbowl. Well, what about Dick Lebeau? Pittsburg won another Superbowl without Cowher. How many coaches won 2 superbowls with 2 different teams? If I was gambling man, I would bet Coughlin would win another Superbowl with the Giants before I would bet Cowher would win a superbowl with any other team.

10. The Wolverine says: Jan 14, 2010 10:11 PM

Cowher or whomever, the best team in the East will now be the Redskins with the Mike Shannan empire getting underway. A dynasty has been born!!!!!! Forget Cowher and the Giants.

11. Peoples Champ says: Jan 14, 2010 11:26 PM

Cowher won’t be waitin’ long. The Giants suck somethin’ awful and Tom Crotchlin will get his walking papers after they go 6-10…

12. RedskinPete says: Jan 14, 2010 11:57 PM

I agree with Wolverine. Hail to the Redskins !!

13. Adam says: Jan 15, 2010 1:46 AM

Been thinking this for a long time, sweet

14. dlman91 says: Jan 15, 2010 2:13 AM

# The Wolverine says: January 14, 2010 10:11 PM
    ______________________________
    Did you really just say that? I hope there was sarcasm in there because the Redskins are in pretty bad shape right now. You know that hiring a new coach doesn’t mean you get a whole new defense too, right?

15. Tim says: Jan 15, 2010 3:19 AM

I hear all the chatter, but i still refuse to believe Coughlin is on the hot seat. He lead the team to a 12-4 record last year and this year had a horrible DC who cost him the playoffs for the first time in 5 years. Shame on the Giants if he is really on the hot seat. He is one of the best coaches this organization ever had. And to the reader who said the Mara’s are like the Rooney’s, that couldnt be more false. If they were to fire Coughlin that would mean he lasted 6 years and won a Superbowl and appeared in the playoffs 4 times. If they are like the Rooneys Coughlin’s job shouldnt be anywhere near in doubt!!

16. packers4life says: Jan 15, 2010 4:24 AM

“As a ex packer fan I can now see how lame it was for all of us trailer park,cheap beer drinking,wifebeating,welfare,cowtipping,homosexual,packerfans were.I am glad I have finaly seen the light.I know now everything looks better in purple. Even Vince Lombardi came to his senses and left the Packers.”
    Even if you are not a Packers fan, you are still every one of those things you listed.
    Jackass.

17. checkitout100 says: Jan 15, 2010 5:48 AM

I posted that Rosenthal is JV/Frosh team and they removed my post. NBC has just thin skin. Free Speech to ALL!

18. last starfighter says: Jan 15, 2010 7:55 AM

# packers4life says: January 15, 2010 4:24 AM
    Jackass.
    ——————————————————————-I always kinda wonder when I here vikings folks resort to homophobic insults. It shouldn’t be that hard for them to come out of the closet. After San Fran Minneapolis has one of the biggest gay cultures in the US. It’s true. They have more gay bars there than you count. It’s airport restrooms are also famous for anonymous gay sex (see Larry Craig). I don’t see why vikings trolls feel the need to hide their cities gay heritage. Embrace your gayness vikings fans, after all, you do have sperm on your helmets.

19. mwcarolina says: Jan 15, 2010 9:22 AM

i dont see Cowher coaching the Giants if the Panthers job opens, i think that job is what he really wants, plus i see the Giants doing better next year.

20. Deb says: Jan 15, 2010 12:04 PM

@Tim …
    I said the Maras operate much like the Rooneys. By that I meant they’re reasonable people. They don’t go off half-cocked. They think about what’s good for the league instead of just thinking about what’s good for them. They’re not constantly trying to get headlines or overrule their coaches. They’re football people, family owners who’ve passed down the team. They wouldn’t fire a coach on a whim. But that doesn’t necessarily mean they’d keep one in place as long as the Rooneys have been known to do either.
    And times have changed in the NFL. The teams are worth much more now than they were when the Rooneys were so patient. While I think they’d give Mike Tomlin a year or two to make adjustments, I don’t think they’d give him as much time as they might have in the past.

21. BorisBulldog says: Jun 2, 2010 2:39 AM

Umm, Deb?
    You do know that Jerry Richardson can’t afford Cowher’s $8-10mm salary, right?
    CAR was only a rumor believed in by the low IQ
    panther fans!