Dez Bryant will meet the media on Friday

Receiver Dez Bryant, who lost his eligibility at Oklahoma State for the balance of the 2009 season after lying to NCAA investigators regarding the extent of his contacts with Deion Sanders, will meet with the media on Friday in Tampa.

The press conference will occur at 1:00 p.m. ET in Tampa, at the Embassy Suites hotel.

“He is open to any question and has nothing to hide,” Pro Football P.R. managing director Tom Savage told Liz Mullen of SportsBusiness Journal.

If Bryant had only applied that strategy when meeting with folks from the NCAA, he might have been able to keep playing college football last year.

Permalink 25 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Rumor Mill, Sprint Football Live - Rumors, Top Stories
25 Responses to “Dez Bryant will meet the media on Friday”
  1. bearsrule says: Jan 14, 2010 9:34 AM

I’d ask him if Mike Gundy yells “I’m a man !!! I’m forty!!!” at practice and team meetings.

2. Poo Flinging Monkey says: Jan 14, 2010 9:39 AM

With the 21st selection in the 2010 NFL Draft, the Cincinnati Bengals select…
    Wide Receiver Dez Bryant, Oklahoma State!

3. dcfan-1212450 says: Jan 14, 2010 9:46 AM

Whats sad about this story is the fact that Deion Sanders initiated the contact, broke the rules, then the player who is still a kid makes the mistake of trying to hide it, Deion then spills the beans, Dez Bryant gets caught and punished, and nothing happens to Deion. This is why Deion Sanders is one of the biggest pieces of crap on the sports planet. And whats worse, we only know maybe half of what this weasel does. NFL network hires him and Michael Ervin, and they wonder why their pregame ratings aren’t where they expected them to be.

4. whatthehellisgoingonoutthere says: Jan 14, 2010 10:11 AM

dcfan-1212450, who is Michael Ervin?

5. Al_Davis_needs_a_dirtnap says: Jan 14, 2010 10:25 AM

dcfan
    I agree Dion has no place on NFL network.Between this incadent and when he says that when you intercept a pass “hold that ball out there show everyone you made a play”.I would rather have son that advice from George Bush !

6. Dixon29 says: Jan 14, 2010 10:30 AM

Dude is a beast. He may go as high as #7 to the Browns, but he could fall into the teens as well. Sorry Monkey, he isn’t lasting until #21.

7. tinshaker says: Jan 14, 2010 10:31 AM

I agree with dcfan, Deion only cares about making himself look good and he uses these kids to do so because he can’t do it himself anymore, and he doesn’t care what happens to the kid afterwards.
    And FWIW, I don’t think Bryant will last till the 21st selection. I think Seattle will take him with their 2nd pick (#14).

8. dcfan-1212450 says: Jan 14, 2010 10:36 AM

Correction, Michael Irvin.

9. Hosstyle In Tampa says: Jan 14, 2010 10:41 AM

dcfan,
    You’re wrong. There was nothing wrong with him meeting with Deion. The infraction was LYING TO THE NCAA, when questioned about it. College kids hang out with pros all the time. There’s no violation in contact with a pro (as long as there was no money or gifts, obviously).

10. scrapdawg12 says: Jan 14, 2010 10:51 AM

Deion Sanders taking questions along side him too? Will the coke machine (Michael Irvin) be there as well?

11. Ike says: Jan 14, 2010 11:08 AM

Some of you people are comical. The WR coach at Oklahoma State called Deion because Dez was late to meetings and he was having a hard time dealing with his home situation. And as “Hosstyle In Tampa” says, nothing was wrong with the contact. Dez was not honest with the NCAA, who shouldn’t have even questioned Dez, because the NCAA even said nothing was wrong.
    Get your facts straight before the racism comes out.

12. Ike says: Jan 14, 2010 11:10 AM

Get your facts straight.

13. dcfan-1212450 says: Jan 14, 2010 11:38 AM

@Hosstyle In Tampa
    __________________________________
    In all respect to your infinite wisdom on the motives of Deion Sanders, do you really believe this piece of dog crap met with Bryant to “hang out”??? No, he met with the notion of promoting his current friend and NFL agent as a good choice of Dez Bryant to choose once he goes to the NFL. I don’t think there should be a man in America who can honostly say they believe Deion Sanders is a mentor to college kids. He is a weasel and always has alterior motives for himself, his friends, and his image. And these were justified allegations that Deion Sanders was the mediator for an agent to meet with Bryant. The NFL investigated. And Sanders got away with it. Cuz thats what weasels do…

14. Ridnaway says: Jan 14, 2010 11:42 AM

If the Bengals take a WR in the 1st round it’s more likely to be Golden Tate or Mardy Gilyard.

15. scomibord says: Jan 14, 2010 11:49 AM

Why doe Bryant lose his eligibility & Lagarret Blount(who physically assaulted an opposing teams player) has his year long suspension lifted to play in their bowl game???

16. tudefit says: Jan 14, 2010 12:11 PM

ike – I don’t know much about the situation but sounds like you have some information from somewhere. It sounded fine until you brought the race card into play. Then you lost credibility. I guess you think criticizing someone who is black makes it racist? I see nothing in these comments to infer racism. Am I missing something?

17. Ike says: Jan 14, 2010 12:27 PM

dcfan….since you are all knowing, tell me a situation where Deion was in the middle of something wrong? And don’t bring up the Michael Crabtree stuff, because Deion was just friends with the agent. And, it is not like Crabtree was the first rookie to hold out that long. Orlando Pace is one of the best LT’s of all time and one of the most respected people and he help out just as long. Deion had nothing to do with that.
    Get over your hate for Deion. He may be annoying and hung up on himself but he is not involved in some of the crap that you people try to put on him.

18. Ike says: Jan 14, 2010 12:32 PM

tudefit…I understand where you are coming from and I may have been out of line with that. But, these people know nothing about what happened nor do they know Deion or Dez, but yet they can call Deion a POS and talk about Micheal Irvin and say will the coke machine Irvin be there. These are comments, in my opinion and dealing with people like this, from a racist person. When you don’t know a person and would say things like this, it has to do with race and not the truth.

19. Ike says: Jan 14, 2010 12:36 PM

Calling him a weasel and that he uses kids. How? What has he done in a negative sense? Nothing! So, to spew this type of hate only comes in one form………

20. acal83 says: Jan 14, 2010 12:58 PM

So anyone who questions a famous black person is racist… come on man. What do you mean by “people like this?” because im guessing you mean white people which kind of makes you racist. Nothing anyone said had anything to do with race until you said something.

21. dcfan-1212450 says: Jan 14, 2010 1:07 PM

@Ike
    __________________________________
    Comments like yours, not mine, feed the racial tension in this country. I call Deion a weasel and a piece of crap and it MUST be because he is black??? Are you serious? I call him that because thats what he is. So is Bernie Madoff, guess im antisemetic as well… People like you make sure racism stays within our culture as Americans. That people can not call someone of color some name or something negative without it having to do with that persons race. Ridiculous, really sad you still think this way.

22. Ike says: Jan 14, 2010 2:07 PM

No it is people like you guys that continue the issue. You justify what you say and throw the race stuff back on me. For your info, I am Black and I am appalled by what I see black athletes do today and hate it. But what I hate more than anything is when people call someone like Deion a POS when he knows nothing about him. Deion has never beenin trouble for drinking and driving, because he doesn’t drink. Never ben in trouble for hitting his wife or kids. All you people go off of is the media hype of him. Most people hate him because he befriends guys that most people hate, so they assume he is like them. Like Pac man. People come to the conclusion, that if he like and trys to help Pac man, Deion is like Pac man.
    You can question Black men all you want, it is a free country but when you have no reason to just totally call someone out like this is ridicules. People who have a track record of breaking the rules and breaking laws should get what they deserve. But for people who don’t shouldn’t get this sort of treatment just because people don’t like them.

23. Ike says: Jan 14, 2010 2:30 PM

dcfan…… again, I am waiting for some info that would make him a POS? So, it makes it ok for you to call him that just because???
    Right now I am being attacked because I am calling you and the others jumping on racists and I don’t know you other than what you say. That is the same thing you are doing. You don’t Deion anymore then i know you. Yet we are both judging someone just off of media(website) perception. Give me proof of him taking advantage of someone and I will jump on board with you. And for your info, I think Al Sharpton and Jesse Jackson are embarrassing and are poor examples of Black people. So, I am not one of those Black people who think all that is Black is good.

24. dcfan-1212450 says: Jan 14, 2010 2:39 PM

@Ike
    See your counter argument makes no sense. Your defending Deion Sanders the man, but you used race to justify my attack on him. To feel that way about Deion is fine, but to pull the race card is wrong, and you know it. Defend Deion all you want, most people wouldnt do that, which shows more people agree with me on what type of guy he is than you. But you are entitled to your opinion. Just dont pull this BS race card crap. I will attack Al Davis, Dan Snyder, Vinny Cerrato, Bernie Maddoff, Jerry Jones, the AD at Texas Tech, and guess what they all have in common, their white…but if i attack Deion, im racist??? Please dont post in these blogs if thats the type of counter argument you plan to use. Its ridiculous.
    p.s. Im of mixed decent. Just so you know.

25. dcfan-1212450 says: Jan 14, 2010 2:46 PM

@Ike
    ________________________________
    Couldn’t agree more.
    And as i mentioned, I believe by his persona, by what he did to the Redskins when he played here, what he did NOT do for the community while he was here, how he always tries to be in the headlines, and how he did not come out to help this kid publicly about his interaction with him to make sure no negative press ever hit Deion Sanders are telling signs of the type of man Deion is. Even Gilbert Arenas had a successful charity sponsorship in Washington. What does Deion have, anywhere… His giving back to the community is mentoring kids who happen to be great at a sport, and check the numbers, a bunch of them signed with Deions agent pal. Hence why the allegations came up in the first place. Dont even you find that suspicious…???