Redskins announce Spanos hire, retain Olivadotti

We told you a few days back the Redskins hired Lou Spanos, a Steelers assistant for 15 years.

The team announced the news officially Saturday, adding that the team will retain Kirk Olivadotti as Defensive Assistant.  Spanos will be the team’s linebackers coach.

“[Olivadotti] has made a quick impression on me and I am happy to be able to keep him with our team,” Mike Shanahan said in a statement.

That news will be welcome for Redskins linebackers like Brian Orakpo.  Olivadotti was credited with Orakpo’s development and reportedly is popular among the players.  He will provide some continuity for a defensive staff that is mostly in upheaval.

Permalink 6 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Pittsburgh Steelers, Rumor Mill, Sprint Football Live - Rumors, Top Stories, Washington Redskins
6 Responses to “Redskins announce Spanos hire, retain Olivadotti”
  1. Hap says: Jan 16, 2010 3:04 PM

Every circus needs sideshows.

2. speedy1383 says: Jan 16, 2010 3:15 PM

I wonder if Kirk is related to Tom. What a horrible DC Tom was. Why Shula kept him employed is beyond me. I always wonder if Bill Arnspager would have stayed at DC how many more SBs the Phins would have won. I think the ’74 season definitely would have been different and the Marino years would have different.

3. Sonny Mooks says: Jan 16, 2010 3:29 PM

@speedy1383
    You beat me to it, I’m wondering if thats his son or nephew or whatever.
    Nepotism has a tendency to reign supreme in the NFL.

4. The Analyst says: Jan 16, 2010 3:54 PM

KO is an excellent coach, and yes I believe he is the son of Tom O. As a long time Redskin fan I am really glad KO is sticking with the team.

5. MurderCapital#1 says: Jan 16, 2010 8:19 PM

….and the Cowboys still suck….

6. Coach says: Feb 2, 2010 12:56 AM

He IS the son of Tom O….BOTH are good coaches and fine men…give em a break…I was coached by the father and coached Kirk in hs in fla…wonderful family…they must be doin somethin right…give em both a break…God Bless