Skip to content

Rams owners focusing on three offers

Two years and two days after the passing of former Rams owner Georgia Frontiere, her two children are closing in on a final decision regarding the future of the franchise.

According to Jim Thomas of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch, Chip Rosenbloom and Lucia Rodriguez are looking at three purchase offers.

But there’s also a fourth option — keeping the team that went 1-15 in 2009.

Dave Checketts, owner of the NHL’s St. Louis Blues, leads the group that has submitted one of the offers.  The persons behind the other two potential ownership groups aren’t yet publicly known.

Rosenbloom and Rodriguez own 60 percent of the team.  Stan Kroenke, who married into the family of billionaires behind Wal-Mart, owns the other 40 percent.

And Kroenke can’t be ruled out of the mix for the 3/5ths of the team that he doesn’t already own.  He holds an option to match any offer that Rosenbloom and Rodriguez accept.  To finalize such a deal, however, Kroenke would have to sell the NHL’s Colorado Avalanche and/or the NBA’s Denver Nuggets — or persuade 24 other owners to scuttle the rules that limit ownership of other pro sports franchises to the same market in which the NFL team is located.

A sale would end 60 years of NFL ownership by the Rosenbloom/Frontiere families.  At one point, Carroll Rosenbloom owned the Baltimore Colts; he swapped them straight up with Robert Irsay for the Rams.  After Rosenbloom drowned while swimming in the ocean (a PBS investigation suggested that he was murdered by mobsters), Rosenbloom’s wife, Georgia, inherited the franchise.

Permalink 7 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Rumor Mill, Sprint Football Live - Rumors, St. Louis Rams, Top Stories
7 Responses to “Rams owners focusing on three offers”
  1. pondbridge says: Jan 20, 2010 10:22 AM

    The PBS piece was completely spurious at the time and now. By even mentioning it, you diminish yourselves and slap the Frontiere family in the face. Hang your head in shame.

  2. heartstl says: Jan 20, 2010 10:48 AM

    Jim Thomas was on the radio this morning and said he believes there is a 70% chance they sell the team. It would be nice to finally end the “Rams to LA” rumors.

  3. penguininbondage says: Jan 20, 2010 10:55 AM

    Mobsters?! Professional Football?! I married a hooker/waitress/chick with big tits?! Say it ain’t so!

  4. Cereal Blogger says: Jan 20, 2010 10:58 AM

    I want in on this deal, how about $600K for the Edward Jones Dome. It’s worse than the Silverdome which sold for slightly more

  5. birdmancometh says: Jan 20, 2010 12:25 PM

    You know who I think should throw his hat into the pot? Rush Limbaugh…

  6. NoHomeTeam says: Jan 20, 2010 2:24 PM

    pondbridge says: “The PBS piece was completely spurious at the time and now. By even mentioning it, you diminish yourselves and slap the Frontiere family in the face. Hang your head in shame.”
    Evidently Georgia’s attorney is still on retainer and monitors this site.
    *****************************
    heartstl says: “Jim Thomas was on the radio this morning and said he believes there is a 70% chance they sell the team. It would be nice to finally end the ‘Rams to LA’ rumors.’
    I suspect the rumors will end when the Rosenriguezes sell the team to Ed Roski. Then they won’t be rumors any more.

  7. pondbridge says: Jan 20, 2010 4:16 PM

    Sorry to disappoint you NotHomeTeam, but I have nothing at all to do with Frontieres or the Rams.
    Find the PBS piece and see what you think for yourself.

Leave a Reply

You must be logged in to leave a comment. Not a member? Register now!