Harvin missing from start of practice

P_Harvin_1.jpgLong-suffering Vikings fans have been waiting (actually, bracing) for something to happen to derail what appears to be the team’s best shot at a Super Bowl win since 1998.

And so plenty of them likely aren’t surprised by the latest news that, once again, receiver Percy Harvin is nowhere to be seen.

As the Vikings commenced practice on Thursday, Harvin wasn’t on the field with his teammates, according to Judd Zulgad of the Minneapolis Star Tribune.

Obvious suspicion?  Harvin’s migraine headaches have returned.

He visited the Mayo Clinic in December after missing extended time earlier that month, and he said that doctors devised a “great plan” for treating the affliction that has bothered him for years.

Harvin was named the AP offensive rookie of the year.  He caught only three passes for 23 yards against the Cowboys and he didn’t have much of an impact in the return game — due in large part to the fact that the Cowboys only kicked off twice, and both were touchbacks.

Also absent was defensive end Ray Edwards (knee) and defensive tackle Kevin Williams (knee).

And that could be the bigger problem for the Vikings, given that the defensive line put the clamps on the Cowboys on Sunday.

Permalink 39 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Injuries, Minnesota Vikings, New Orleans Saints, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
39 Responses to “Harvin missing from start of practice”
  1. Love_Boat_Scandal says: Jan 21, 2010 3:37 PM

I’m bracing for something bad to happen too.

2. BigEasy33 says: Jan 21, 2010 3:46 PM

Headaches or Menstrual Cramps…pls dig deeper Florio!!! How about another “pants on the ground” story….or something vintage with the Vikes!!! Keep it up!!! viva la Brett!!
    In other news Teddy Bruschi picked the Vikes…which is a great accomplishment since he picked the Pats and Cards to beat the Saints previously!!! We all know how that turned out!!
    Monday: Florio will have an article about “Brett is contemplating retirement after getting destroyed by the Saints”
    Who Dat!!!

3. purple hay-seuss says: Jan 21, 2010 3:57 PM

Hey BigEasy33: Literally EVERY “Expert” in the sports media chose Dallas to win in Minny last week. Teddy makes picks, too. None of it means anything whatsoever.
    Are you going to line up all of Teddy’s predictions now? Did you hand-pick those Saints picks just to make your point? Aren’t there other so-called experts in the press/media that picked against the Saints, too? Can you name every single reporter/blogger/writer/talking head that picked the Saints to beat Tampa Bay? Take a deep breath, boyo. Your magnificent Saints were humiliated by one of the very worst teams not only of the 2009 season, but one of the worst teams of the past 5 years. And it wasn’t pretty. Were the Mighty Saints ‘resting the studs?’ If not, what the hell happened? And those other two consecutive losses to finish the season? Whoa. Those were ugly. Will you confess to pooping a little in your pants when that superb winning streak ground to an ugly halt?
    Wake up. Playoff games are totally different than regular season games, and Conference Championship games are totally different than other Playoff games.
    See you Sunday.

4. mixman34 says: Jan 21, 2010 3:58 PM

Get that man his GREEN! Come on Percy… not now!!
    I suppose better than him missing from the game in two weeks.

5. Mike McCarthy's Moobs says: Jan 21, 2010 3:58 PM

He didn’t have a problem with migraines when he was still able to self-medicate with cannabis. The NFL’s drug testing policy needs to be reformed.

6. RaiderMight says: Jan 21, 2010 3:59 PM

Sucks to be him right now. I hope he gets right. The games this weekend are poised to be pretty good if all the players are healthy.

7. mixman34 says: Jan 21, 2010 4:00 PM

Who dat… worst rally cry in all of sports. Might as well throw an inside joke on your license plates… no one gets it nor do they care.
    I can’t wait till next week when I never have to hear that obnoxious whine ever again. Who dat? Who deez foo…

8. Pervy Harvin says: Jan 21, 2010 4:00 PM

Vikings spanked the Who Dey Nation already.
    Next up Who Dat Nation.
    We specialize in knocking off teams that say annoying phrases like them.

9. Bob Loblaw says: Jan 21, 2010 4:02 PM

Both D linemen will play. Just spending practice time getting treatment to expedite the healing process and get the knees ready for Sunday. I expect a few less snaps for both, but Brian Robison and Jimmy Kennedy are both quality subs. If I had to pick two backs on D to see the field more, I’d pick Robison and Kennedy.
    Harvin is a different story. I remember several times he sat out practice during the week with migranes, only to come back and play well on Sunday. Then twoards the end of the season he ended up missing one or two games, so I’m not confident he will play.
    If not, that could be the difference between winning and losing for the Vikings. I think he is the guy who will make the big plays this week and will have a 1 or 2 TD game.

10. RaiderMight says: Jan 21, 2010 4:02 PM

Would hate for Viking fans to go through what Raider fans went through when Barret Robbins missed the Super Bowl against the Bucs. Regardless of the reasons a star player misses an important game.

11. supadupafly says: Jan 21, 2010 4:03 PM

Good 2 know but this is almost a non-story. He will not miss Sunday and Chilly is very cool when it comes to dealing with players like Harvin.

12. Allied Biscuit says: Jan 21, 2010 4:04 PM

you know what else is missing? the ability of “pervy harvin” to form a rational thought.
    i wonder what that idiot says now.

13. Vince says: Jan 21, 2010 4:07 PM

Florio how about we make a bet.. If I win I take your job cus you suck at it.. and if I lose Ill buy you a ticket to the superbowl? Vikings beat the Saints… too scared to put it on the line? Yea thought so

14. sand0 says: Jan 21, 2010 4:12 PM

He has missed practices and went on to have great games. He has also missed practices and went on to miss a couple games. He should be alright but let’s keep our fingers crossed.
    If the Vikes lose they lose. It would be tough either way. But it would really suck if we had 4 pro bowl players either out or limited plus a stud in Ray Edwards, not to mention EJ who went a while back. Man it would be nice to have a team at full strength. Our hobbled team crushed a fully healthy Dallas team that crushed a hobbled Saints team.
    Does that mean we are better or equal? Fuzzy math.

15. fuel52 says: Jan 21, 2010 4:15 PM

The Who Dat chant isn’t really for YOU to understand, get or comprehend anyway…so have a coke and a smile and well you know the rest…

16. Pervy Harvin says: Jan 21, 2010 4:16 PM

Allied Biscuit – You say you are a Viking fan. You say we will get killed. Jump off punk,we don’t like pussy azz fans like you kid!

17. nps6724 says: Jan 21, 2010 4:21 PM

If Ray Edwards truly has an MCL sprain, no way he plays (at least not effectively). Unless he has bionic knees.

18. .VoxVeritas says: Jan 21, 2010 4:23 PM

“Who dat… worst rally cry in all of sports.”
    Better than the 0-3gles’ patented “see ya next year!”

19. jeffragnarchicken says: Jan 21, 2010 4:25 PM

Who dat?
    its because the cajuns cannot speak the word that.
    It’s basically French Canadian ebonics if you ask me.

20. Captain says: Jan 21, 2010 4:26 PM

Percy wasn’t missing. He knew exactly where he was.

21. mixman34 says: Jan 21, 2010 4:28 PM

@fuel52
    Just sayin…
    Well you guys have fun on your inside circle!

22. Occam says: Jan 21, 2010 4:34 PM

“We specialize in knocking off teams that say annoying phrases like them.”
    The Vikings and the Saints should wager their annoying phrases on this game: loser can’t say theirs anymore.
    It wouldn’t solve every annoying phrase problem, but it’d be a start. Pity the winner can’t play the Bengals next week.

23. Lwood says: Jan 21, 2010 4:38 PM

Who Dat was always spoken by my cajun Drill Sgt at Ft. Polk, he was actually a great guy considering the crap the Army put him through….believe his last name was Bynog, but 40 years has a way of eating away at the brain cells.

24. mixman34 says: Jan 21, 2010 4:43 PM

Allied likes to set it up so he can cheer when they win… point fingers and say I told you so when they lose. Look up bandwagon in the ol Websters and that’s what you’ll find.

25. sven_ftw says: Jan 21, 2010 4:48 PM

good thing we have depth. robison, kennedy, and evans will be ready to play, no doubt…

26. BigEasy33 says: Jan 21, 2010 4:50 PM

@purplejasus
    LOL….it really won’t matter who did or didn’t pick the Aint’s because on Monday you and the rest of the horn blowling skool viqueens will be watching Brett’s pre-retirement/comeback maybe speech at the podium on Monday when he gets destroyed!!!

27. Jdal says: Jan 21, 2010 4:56 PM

I have been dealing with migrane headaches lately. I am a senior mechanical engineering student at th e University of Minnesota. I can tell you right now that stress is the leading cause of migrane headaches, at leat in my case it’s academic stress. I wonder if chilly is expanding that complicated playbook on Percy. Look Chilly, if you are reading this “keep the plays simple for Percy to avoid overthinking.” You get it?

28. Fan_Of_ Four says: Jan 21, 2010 5:18 PM

# mixman34 says: January 21, 2010 4:00 PM
    __________________________________
    Maybe they want to sound like a bunch of sister dating, cousin loving inbreds?

29. purple hay-seuss says: Jan 21, 2010 5:20 PM

BigEasy33:
    So all you have in response is another adolescent “You suck, we’ll win”? I put about 5 questions to you. You even agreed with my point about predictions in direct contradiction to yourself. Go back in for class. Recess is over and the hall monitor is looking for your kiddie ass.
    Leave the grownups to have the big people talk. I hear they’re having pizza today in the cafeteria. Eat up son. You need to grow up big and strong to dig ditches.

30. purplepuzzyeatrz says: Jan 21, 2010 5:23 PM

Harvin will be fine…PURPLE HAY
    couldnt have said it better…….regular season, playoffs……..championship game…….he will be there…….if not for the championship game…
    Most certainly the SUPERBOWL……..
    SKOL

31. mike says: Jan 21, 2010 5:37 PM

The guy probably forgot where the practice field was.
    Guy has talent but not the brightest bulb

32. Allied Biscuit says: Jan 21, 2010 6:18 PM

pervy, mixman
    neither of you two have watched the saints this year have you? saints are going to pass down the field against the vikings secondary all night. there’s a big difference between bandwagon fans, and fans that know their teams weaknesses, and know when it’s a huge mismatch.
    the vikings secondary: weakness. and drew brees specialty: expoiting a weak secondary. did you see the patriots game? cardinals? or any of their other wins?
    did you watch some of the games the vikings lost on the road this year? remember how? pass defense.
    vikings are not at home. remember? they play well at home. they would win this game at home. but, they don’t play well on the road against passing teams. but yet, i’m a bandwagon fan in your minds because I point out a huge, glaring weakness in the vikings defense. mixman, how about you look delusional up in the ol’ dictionary. that’s what you both are. you both just resort to calling me a fairweather, or bandwagon fan because you know my arguement is right. pathetic.
    by the way, last week i said the saints would put up 40+ on the cardinals weak pass defense. i got some comical responses that the cards would win that game by atleast 2 TD’s. this is almost the same argument.

33. purple hay-seuss says: Jan 21, 2010 7:20 PM

Allied Biscuit:
    Yep, the Vikes struggle in shutting down receivers, especially when the opposing QB is very good. Green
    Bay passed on us all day long, twice. Cutler carved us up on the fateful Monday Night game. I expect to see Brees drill a few. I also expect to see him run for his little life more than once. Romo ran for his life all day, if you’ll recall. Dallas was to shut out the Viking DEs, and they fell like loaves of Sourdough. Drew will have to deliver it much quicker than usual in this game if he’s going to get the results you’re expecting. If so, Minny will be on their heels. The Saints are very accustomed to striking fast and often. If they don’t, their game plan and attitude will change. They don’t like smashmouth football. Minny will shove it up their asses to exploit your apparent weakness, the run defense. I look for the first quarter to be very tense. I look for a few big plays to decide this game. Like Peterson or Bush breaking one or more; Harvin/Bush running one back, perhaps a sack/safety. Jared Allen is among the league leaders in sacks and causing fumbles and then recovering them. Your Left Tackle is ready for Allen, I hope, or your boldness about Brees’ abilities will go away very quickly. Allen has seen chips and double teams all of his career, let alone this year. Then there’s Edwards, and The Wall . They all have multiple sacks. Even a few backups have several sacks. You are not giving the Vikings front 7 enough credit while you take it all away from the D secondary.
    Romo was supposed to carve us up. He didn’t. He fumbled and ran. I suspect Brees will do better, but nowhere near the ridiculous blowout many are predicting. Dallas ran their mouths hot and heavy into the last game. Minny kept it closed and went about their business. I see the Saints are doing the right things, too. Good. It all adds up to a hell of a Championship game.

34. nps6724 says: Jan 21, 2010 7:44 PM

“They don’t like smashmouth football.”
    This further proves you didn’t watch the 2009 Saints and still remember past teams. The Saints were in the top 5 in rushing for 11 or 12 weeks.

35. VikesbyBigsky says: Jan 21, 2010 7:56 PM

fuel52 says:
    January 21, 2010 4:15 PM
    ——————————————-
    Yeah you cant have an education and expect to be able to understand anything from New Orleans!
    They cant even make a complete sentence, cant understand anything while they talk with a ham tongue.
    whodat, whocares, whosdumb…………………………
    GO VIKES!

36. Pervy Harvin says: Jan 21, 2010 8:23 PM

Allied Biscuit- You are the definition of pessimist.I am an optimist. Your post earlier today said Brees would torch us and we had no chance. As an ex soldier,wouldn’t want you having my back. As a fan,don’t want you rooting for my team. You have a streak of yellow down your back and shit in your drawers. You reek of fear and that isn’t having Favre’s back,nor AD’s or Percy etc..I support my players,don’t cry about their weaknesses before game on.You see,I inspire the troops….you cowardly bring them down. You are pathetic,don’t even be happy when Vikings win. You made excuses why they wouldn’t!

37. nps6724 says: Jan 21, 2010 8:52 PM

“You have a streak of yellow down your back and shit in your drawers. You reek of fear and that isn’t having Favre’s back,nor AD’s or Percy etc..I support my players,don’t cry about their weaknesses before game on.You see,I inspire the troops….you cowardly bring them down. You are pathetic,don’t even be happy when Vikings win. You made excuses why they wouldn’t!”
    That’s the most ridiculous crap I’ve heard today. And that’s saying a lot for this site.

38. mixman34 says: Jan 21, 2010 8:59 PM

Why call yourself a fan if you can’t cheer from the team….. just sayin….

39. jx4cmario1 says: Jan 22, 2010 12:25 AM

God I cannot wait til Sunday, watching it with my old man. Gonna be f’n great. GO VIKES BABY! Pervy, mixman, jeff, candian, hay-suess, bigsky, and all the other vikes bro’s, it’s awesome to read all your posts, pumps me up. We are the greatest fans in the NFL.