Nolan turned down Packers gig last year

We love reading local coverage of the Packers because it’s obvious the readership (and writers) love everything about football: the backstories, the strategy, the profile on the 47th guy on the roster.

We love the minutia too, which is a long way of explaining why we’re posting an item on Mike Nolan turning down the Packers . . . a year ago.  If Packers fans care, so do we.

Greg A. Bedard of the Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel reports that Nolan turned down Packers coach Mike McCarthy when he offered the defensive coordinator position last offseason. Ultimately, the gig went to Dom Capers.

Nolan said he made the decision to turn the job down for family reasons.

“You could say, ‘Well, now you’re in Miami so I’m not really buying
that reason,’” Nolan said. “But I had a son who was a senior [in high
school] and it was important for me to stay close.”

Nolan would up leaving Denver after just one season because he wasn’t able to work with Josh McDaniels.  Capers did quite well until the playoffs.  And that’s the rest of the story.

Permalink 23 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Green Bay Packers, Rumor Mill, Sprint Football Live - Rumors, Top Stories
23 Responses to “Nolan turned down Packers gig last year”
  1. daPACK says: Jan 25, 2010 4:33 PM

Capers > Nolan

2. rpiotr01 says: Jan 25, 2010 4:44 PM

Gregg Williams > Capers > Nolan > a tomato > Haslett

3. garylandon41 says: Jan 25, 2010 4:47 PM

what a waste of space this article is…..nice try rationalizing why you put it on here.

4. Mactator says: Jan 25, 2010 4:50 PM

Thank you Nolan for turning it down. We got better than you!
    Go Pack Go!!!

5. bakler5 says: Jan 25, 2010 4:51 PM

I appreciate the first paragraph a lot. I often find myself knowing more about the last player on the roster than the best player on the roster, just because I like to feel that involved with my team.
    Oh and Capers was the right decision…

6. JerkStore says: Jan 25, 2010 5:02 PM

The real question is, will the Vikes faithful have the strength to muster up their Packers hating comments for this post yet, or is it just too soon?

7. wrath4771 says: Jan 25, 2010 5:04 PM

Actually good to know the Packers did try to get Nolan because personally I would have picked him over Capers. And I know cities like Pittsburgh probably do it as well, but in Green Bay we’ll talk who got added to the practice squad, for Christ sakes.

8. footballrulz says: Jan 25, 2010 5:06 PM

Many thanks Mike

9. Darkside says: Jan 25, 2010 5:12 PM

I registered just to say this:
    Capers > Nolan. Thanks Nolan!
    In TT I trust. Go Pack.

10. mntwinsfan1434 says: Jan 25, 2010 5:14 PM

“If Packers fans care, so do we.”
    Are you kidding me? Packer fans are as useful as retards on a space shuttle.

11. ShimSham says: Jan 25, 2010 5:26 PM

The Cardinals matched up perfectly with the Packers defense and exposed the weaknesses most fans knew were there. Still wouldn’t change a thing as far as the hiring goes. Capers helped take a bottom-10 defense to the #2 overall defense, which led the league in rush defense.
    It wasn’t perfect but you really can’t complain too much.

12. Murgen says: Jan 25, 2010 5:30 PM

I’m ok with Capers.
    Packers Forever

13. Stuber says: Jan 25, 2010 5:46 PM

[quote=MnTwinsFan1434]Are you kidding me? Packer fans are as useful as retards on a space shuttle.[/quote]what can we say? we KNOW football.
    so….which ex-packer will you [i]losers[/i] pilfer next? Kampman? Clifton? have fun buying your way to another playoff loss.

14. www_smoothdaddyride_com says: Jan 25, 2010 5:52 PM

Dom capers was only “good” for us in Miami when he was working under Saban’s system and under Saban’s direction…
    The second he was left to his own devices to run the D how he wished after Saban left the D was brutal with the exact same players (Jason Taylor and Joey Porter being the most misused under a Capers D sans oversight from someone who has a clue)…
    so was it capers who is good or is he actually good when doing what he’s told by someone who actually knows how to run a Defense and properly use the players on the roster?

15. Pervy Harvin says: Jan 25, 2010 5:52 PM

I mean, do you blame the guy?? Why the hell would he want to live in Green Bay and coach D on a team that has no hopes of winning their division for years to come?? He knows the Vikings own that mutha..

16. MuskyHunter2542 says: Jan 25, 2010 5:53 PM

rpiotr01 says:
    January 25, 2010 4:44 PM
    Gregg Williams > Capers > Nolan > a tomato > Haslett
    Last I checked Packers D was 2nd ranked. Saints was 25th. The Saints offense was the reason they are going to the superbowl.
    Well and 6 Viking Turnovers.

17. Stuber says: Jan 25, 2010 5:56 PM

Are you kidding me? Packer fans are as useful as retards on a space shuttle.what can we say? we KNOW football.
    so….which ex-packer will you losers pilfer next? Kampman? Clifton? have fun buying your way to another playoff loss.

18. Stuber says: Jan 25, 2010 6:01 PM

GB shouldn’t judge the sun shining on a dog’s ass as “competent genius” just yet.he may not be the long term solution to run GB’s 3-4 for years to come. But he was clearly the right man to install it and coach it to players with little to no experience in that system.

19. Johnnyb612 says: Jan 25, 2010 6:15 PM

Screw him! Thank god he turned it down! I always thought that guy was way too soft for the NFL in the first place! Were much better off with Capers anyways. I really don’t see any way Nolan could have been more successful than Capers and I don’t know why they even wasted their time trying to get him when Dom Capers was floating around out there! Yeah, this worked out alot better for the Packers.
    And Pervy is a homo.

20. Adam-Chris Scheftersen says: Jan 26, 2010 10:06 AM

Stuber says:
    January 25, 2010 6:01 PM
    —————————
    Yeah, you’re right. I’d much rather have 2008′s defensive performance than 2009. Having the 2nd-ranked defense by yards and 7th-ranked by points? I don’t know.. It’s so clich├ęd. Made me feel dirty.
    I’d rather have a defense that keeps things interesting.

21. zangy says: Jan 26, 2010 11:10 PM

Capers > Nolan
    but mainly I just wanted to say Pervy is a douche bag. What does it feel like to choke on $12,000,000?

22. Beer Cheese Soup says: Jan 27, 2010 3:29 AM

Adam-Chris Scheftersen says:
    I’d rather have a defense that keeps things interesting.
    ____________________________________
    We do. You just have to wait until the playoffs to fully experience it.
    Remember, when you have Thompson, no matter how good things seem, failure is always right around the corner.

23. Emoney says: Jan 28, 2010 2:48 PM

Pervy, do you honestly believe you would have won the division this year without Favre? Let’s be realistic for a second. Favre was the reason why you won the two games against the packers. There’s no way T-Jak would have done the same. You obviously would have lost to the 49ers because T-Jak wouldn’t have made that throw. You wouldn’t have even been in the game against the Ravens had Favre not pulled some of those throws out of his ass. Your record was so good primarily do to Favre. If he does retire, what makes you think the Vikings are so much better than the Packers? You run your mouth with so much confidence, yet, I sometimes wonder if you really think about what you’re saying before you say it. Maybe you’re just trying to get Packer fans all fired up. The Vikings are a good team, but without stability at the QB position for the future, I wouldn’t be sounding so confident. Let’s face it, this is not the NFC West where there’s no competition. The Packers and Vikings will both be very good next year, even with our difficult schedules. But we shall see.