Childress says there is no timeline for Favre's decision

Brad Childress ran into Brett Favre Tuesday morning while the quarterback was getting treatment.  Not a lot was said that Childress felt like discussing.

“We didn’t really have any meaningful conversation about what’s next except he was catching a plane to head home late this morning,” Childress said at his season-ending press conference Tuesday.

Childress says there is “no timeline” for Favre to make his decision.  The coach said he wouldn’t be surprised by anything Favre did.

“Its up to him.  It’s not a deal where I need to put a gun to his head and say I need to know a week, two weeks, two months.”

One reporter then asked a great question: “What if it’s August 18th?”

Childress: “I don’t know.  That’s a hypothetical.”

Asked if he wanted to avoid the circus-like atmosphere of last offseason, Childress joked, “I usually don’t run the circus. . . . You gotta do what you gotta do in that regard. If you got to purchase a big top or animals,” he continued until we decided to stop transcribing.

In summary, expect more of the same uncertainty this offseason.  Childress said he would love consistency and certainty, but sometimes a “state of flux” pushes you to create.

Permalink 82 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Minnesota Vikings, Rumor Mill, Sprint Football Live - Rumors, Top Stories
82 Responses to “Childress says there is no timeline for Favre's decision”
  1. spliffbunker says: Jan 26, 2010 5:50 PM

…………………………………………………………
    something tells me its not gonna stop you guys milking this….

2. Old School says: Jan 26, 2010 5:51 PM

Childress had stopped in the training room to drive Bert to the airport.

3. Crushitlong says: Jan 26, 2010 5:51 PM

Peterson to the Eagles for McNabb.

4. MrHumble says: Jan 26, 2010 5:54 PM

Hey….ya gotta admit BF showed that you don’t need to go thru OTA’s and training camp to play at a high level during the season. Let’s face it, training camp and preseason is just a formality for the NFL to make more money while showcasing 50 players who won’t even end up making the roster.

5. McLovin says: Jan 26, 2010 5:54 PM

Dear NFL News Media: Stop covering Favre! All he wants to hear is how he’s the missing piece on XYZ team becoming a Superbowl contender. That’s whys he keeps coming back. If you ignore him, he’ll go away.

6. MrHumble says: Jan 26, 2010 5:56 PM

7. Ross'sSweetMinus says: Jan 26, 2010 5:57 PM

Way to show some guts chilly. Take the skirt off! You Weeny!

8. ladybucs&steelersnut says: Jan 26, 2010 6:00 PM

I wish the freakin’ media would go into hiding as well when it comes to this “story”. Let me see if I can guess what’s coming.
    Feb – Farve “retires”. Again.
    March, April, May, June, July – endless nauseating media coverage. “Did He Mean It This Time?” and on and on and on.
    August (AFTER training camp and most of preseason is over) and Farve has once again been jerking coaches and players(esp quarterbacks who think they have a chance to be the starter) for weeks – He decides to come back because he loves the game so much.
    I’m so sick of this narcisistic diva.

9. Citizen Strange says: Jan 26, 2010 6:05 PM

So every time Chilly heard the locomotive roar
    He’d be a’ standin’, a’ wavin’ by the kitchen door

10. The Tooth says: Jan 26, 2010 6:06 PM

Minnie Mouse > Brad Childress

11. Bigbluefan says: Jan 26, 2010 6:17 PM

When ever just let me know when and I will be at the airport
    Chilly

12. favresux says: Jan 26, 2010 6:18 PM

favre said there is no timeline

13. garyl says: Jan 26, 2010 6:19 PM

Farve will be in the backyard tomorrow looking out at the lake and resting! Probably a little golf down the road this weekend. He deserves it.
    Peterson for McNabb whats in it for Phily???
    I like Joe Thomas for Peterson if Farve comes back. Need an LOT.

14. last starfighter says: Jan 26, 2010 6:23 PM

Wait, when he gave favre a deadline which passed last summer he still accommodated for his royal highness when he eventually decided to show up. Why would you even waste the time to pen this blog post? Favre could decide to play 5 minutes before the start of next season and chillie would still make him a captain.

15. Samuel L. Bronkowitz says: Jan 26, 2010 6:25 PM

Childress says there is no timeline for putting on a dress in order to lure Favre back.

16. Sankey_LA says: Jan 26, 2010 6:25 PM

Why does everyone want Brett Favre to go away? I want Tom Brady to go away too. I don’t want to hear about his knee or super model wife any more. How about Peyton Manning. I’m sick of watching him and his kid brother tounge “f” Oreos versus the Williams sisters. How about that Tony Gonzales a** hole forcing his way off a class franchise like K.C. to a so called competitor. What a jerk. Favre’s a pro athlete! If he wasn’t one hundred percent focused on himself he wouldn’t be able to play at an NFL level. Think about it for just a second. Does Favre twitter daily? Does he hold daily press conferences? Does anyone out there really know what he/she wants in life. Hell no! Give the guy a break.
    This is ridiculous? I grew up in Green Bay. I even went to Lombardi Middle School. In Green Bay we understand what made football great and now what’s tearing it apart. It’s our obsession with building up and then smashing our heros. Why not discus X’s and O’s. Why not discuss the technical aspects of Favre’s game and how that plays into his short comings. Or is that not interesting enough. Is it all about he said, she said crap. Fox showing shot after shot of Deanna Favre cringing in hopes of creating some sort of twisted Rocky-Adrianne moment. I’m starting to hate football over this. Is Favre not going out with a trophy really so terrible. Isn’t it okay that he’s still trying. So what if he failed?
    This used to be a good site. Now its a trash mag like Star Magazine. You want a realistic view of what really happened in the NFC championship, go to the National Football Post. Brett Favre screwed up. So what? It’s a game. The great A. Peterson coughed it up like he had Avian flu, Percy Harvin too. Big deal. More happened then that one throw. I’m pretty sure it’s a team sport. The media makes it singular. Get a life people. The guy built the game and it’s going to be a sorry league with Tom Brady’s equally self serving ass as the face of it. Until of course we tear him apart too.

17. Tears_of_a_Favre says: Jan 26, 2010 6:27 PM

All Chilly needs is a little heads up so he can get over to the airport and drive Brent to work.

18. adenaguy says: Jan 26, 2010 6:29 PM

40 year Viking fan. Here’s my analysis of why
    it was so gut-wrenching this year.
    1. 10-1 looking good.
    2. The “debacle in the desert” and the crap
    performances against sub-par Carolina, Chicago.
    Very merciful gesture from Vikings to fans so
    they can water down expectations and prepare
    for the inevitable.
    3. Destruction of Dallas. What we (and everyone) knew was a superior NFC team goes
    and play like…a superior NFC team. The hopes
    were stoked that finally, this team will play
    according to their talent level.
    4. Outplay New Orleans in all phases. Game lost
    due to 6 fumbles (3 lost), 2 interceptions and the
    obligatory choke idiotic 12-man penalty.
    Get beat in overtime without touching the ball.
    Of course, the pain is extended into next season
    with ACL injury to starting cornerback, and re-injury to other starting cornerback’s foot.
    — Hopes stoked, hopes waterered down, hopes
    incredibly stoked and then…what has happened
    time and time again. Superior team beats itself.
    I have no answer. It’s the burden we must bear.
    Someday, probably after my lifetime, a Vikings
    team will come to win. And play like a team that
    wants it.

19. Citizen Strange says: Jan 26, 2010 6:30 PM

Chilly’ll meet me when the BOAC lands
    Keys to the MG will be in his hands

20. PurpleRaid12 says: Jan 26, 2010 6:34 PM

I don’t understand why people get so pissed at Favre…. he thought he wanted to retire the first time from Green Bay, then decided he wasn’t ready to walk away (we know how that turned out) then his reason for retirement from the Jets was to get to the Vikings, now he’s retiring for good, how is that flip flopping all the time? First was a mistake, second was a plan, now he’s done, it’s not like he’s gone in and out of retirement for the past 10 seasons and If it’s such a pain for you people, why comment on it, read articles, or report stories about it……?

21. Mactator says: Jan 26, 2010 6:38 PM

LMAO… How I’m SO GLAD to not have to deal with this BS anymore. Good riddance!

22. Mountaindont says: Jan 26, 2010 6:41 PM

The 12th man in the huddle was Favre`s ego

23. schooney says: Jan 26, 2010 6:42 PM

Yes I will, No I won’t–Farve talking, no the gal I picked up at the sports bar

24. murray22 says: Jan 26, 2010 6:46 PM

Favre is coming back in August. I wish Vegas would post some odds so I could get a bet down. Favre is a diva, but he loves to play (his way) and he needs to be worshipped. I am tired of Favre, but he actually proved that he doesn’t need mini camp or off season workouts to play well. Until the Saints game, he had one of his best seasons. He took care of the ball a lot better this year than he ever did as a Packer. At his age, I don’t see how he can be better next season. This was his high water mark. But I definitely think he will be back, unless he gets run over by his own tractor……

25. cr19 says: Jan 26, 2010 6:48 PM

I didnt know farve asked to be the lead on sportcenter or asked for pft to talk about him. lets blame farve for all his. I mean he was a 40 year old man playing his heart out on sunday and i respect he hell ou of him for that.

26. Pervy Harvin says: Jan 26, 2010 6:48 PM

First of all,you Goobers wanting Peterson LOL dream on. When Favre starts throwing the footballs to the hs kids,he will realize once again he needs football. I think it is crack to him.

27. JimmySmith says: Jan 26, 2010 6:59 PM

If Chilly were more honest and forthright, he would just admit Favre can do anything he wants, with KY Jelly or without, and Childress wouldn’t bat an eye because he knows in his heart of hearts, he would have never gone that far without him. Childress will even overlook a 7 year history of sub par playoff performances with a QB rating mostly at 70 or below, terrible INT’s at the worst time and a total disregard for taking care of the football.
    You see the teams that got rid of Favre have a basic understanding that to win the Superbowl, you can’t trust Favre no matter what he does in the regular season. But for Childress who was looking straight down the barrel of an employment check, he is just happy to be employed. Superbowl? That’s pure gravy for a village idiot like himself. The guy is a tool and as soon as Brent leaves, he will show the world why he is a tool as if the 12 man huddle didn’t give you a glimpse already.

28. Myballshurt says: Jan 26, 2010 7:01 PM

schooney…please you have been all over Packer boards for years. You used to lick Favre’s nutts. Now he blows.
    I’ve known you for a long time…..too bad you don’t know who this is….but you have NEVER picked up a “gal” at the sports bar……at least not one without an Adam’s apple.
    Good thing Flo keeps Favre’s name in the headlines, otherwise you geniuses wouldn’t be able to talk tough and use all the lines you’ve been saving up all year.
    As a Packer fan the only thing that should concern you about Favre is the following score: Favre 2 Packers 0.

29. TheBeave says: Jan 26, 2010 7:08 PM

Favre doesn’t want to retire, he doesn’t want to work out and practice with the team. He will pull games until Childress does exactly what Favre wanted the last 5 years… to avoid mini-camps and preseason two-a-days.
    Favre is an egotistical jerk who doesn’t think training camp and preseason practices apply to him. He’s a diva willing to hold an entire organization hostage to his selfish demands. Thompson did the right thing and refused to put up with it anymore. Unfortunately, Childress is Favre’s b*tch so he’ll eventually relent and Favre will get away with skipping most of the offseason. They’ll try to make some lame excuse to make it seem like the coach hasn’t been emasculated by the player, but we’ll all know what’s really going on.

30. Deb says: Jan 26, 2010 7:18 PM

I’m with MrHumble and Sankey_LA (well, not totally with Sankey, but most of it).
    The vet whose arm was supposed to fall off in December wound up out-playing 30 other QBs. He’s entertaining as heck. If we weren’t talking about him, we’d just be … working.
    His ego isn’t any bigger than Brady’s or Manning’s, and his retirement saga is a lot more interesting than Giselle and the baby dramas, or the Manning brothers trying to out-tongue Donald Trump.
    Favre’s an old-school QB, not afraid to get hit, break a sweat, or get his uniform dirty. We’ve got one like that in Pittsburgh and I hope to heaven he’s still able to play when he’s 40 and that we have the good sense to hang on to him instead of pushing him out the door.
    Anyone who won’t miss watching Favre doesn’t really appreciate the game.
    Stay, Brett.

31. scrapdawg12 says: Jan 26, 2010 7:19 PM

So if he wants to come back just for the playoffs next year, he is allowed? This is a joke and a disgrace. If you don’t participate in training camp, you should have to sit out the season.

32. Cushing Will Kill You says: Jan 26, 2010 7:20 PM

Yeah, no timeline till the Vikings are on the clock in late April.

33. Fidelito says: Jan 26, 2010 7:23 PM

Favre or not, the smart move for the Vikings still seems to be trading up in the first round to bag one of the top few quarterbacks. (Which doesn’t include The Tebow obviously)

34. Skol Vikes says: Jan 26, 2010 7:25 PM

bring favre back as head coach/qb
    fire chilly
    12 men in the huddle!!!?!??!?!?
    high school coaches have been fired for less
    do you think any big name college coach could get away with something so stupid in a big time bowl game? NO! He would be fired the next day, if not that night.
    I always said chilly was too stupid to ever win the close games that inevitably happen in the playoffs. After chesters run, for about 30 seconds, I actually thought he was gonna prove me wrong. Then he proved me right.
    I will be boycotting all things vikings until chilly is fired, which sadly, will be the same year they move to LA.
    We needed at least a superbowl appearance to gain support for the stadium. We didnt have nearly enought support before, and after this choke job, im sure most of the politicians that supported it will be jumping ship too, I dont blame them, this team is cursed and will never win the big one.
    Send them to LA where they will 4 in the first 10 years.

35. CYGNUS X-1 says: Jan 26, 2010 7:28 PM

so does this mean you will stop talking about him 24 hrs a day then?or will you stay with yoiur man crush and report everything he does in mississippi or whereever he goes this off season?

36. RayDaMayor says: Jan 26, 2010 7:33 PM

Chilly & Farve …… $10
    “WE AREN’T THE LIONS….WE’RE TALKING ABOUT A SUPERBOWL HERE!” …. $100
    Saints 31 – Vikings 28 …. Priceless

37. longrodvanhungendong says: Jan 26, 2010 7:35 PM

We wont hear jack-sh*t from Favre for about 4 months yet the media will talk about him every other day cause it sells…..

38. PurpleRaid12 says: Jan 26, 2010 7:44 PM

And I hate to break it to all the T-Jack haters, but the kid is the franchise quarterback, so what, he hasn’t been stellar his first three seasons, No one expected him to out play Favre this year, that’s why I said three seasons (the ones he started). I have a good feeling that sitting behind Favre he has learned a great deal, and Sage too for that matter, either one I feel is capable of being a viable starter on this team…. the Offensive line will be healthy at the start of next season, Tarvaris is more mobile and has a rocket arm, he just needs someone to help him with reading defenses, and I’m sure Favre has done that. But he was drafted high for a reason, he has a great deal of potential. Give him a shot, he showed a ton of experience behind Frerotte last year, the sky is the limit sitting behind Favre…

39. RayDaMayor says: Jan 26, 2010 7:44 PM

Mr Humble says …. Not even a Vikings fan but ya gotta admit the ole’ guy had a hellva season, better than about 31 qb’s who are about half his age…….
    Gee, I thought Manning and Brees both had better years and will play in the Superbowl.
    Farve on the ground….Farve on the ground…

40. ThanksTed says: Jan 26, 2010 8:14 PM

The media perpetuates the story and blames Favre for it.
    The guy had a great season but almost got killed on Sunday. Can he still play? Hell yeah.
    Can he play an entire season? Everyone gets older and it gets harder (see Montana, Unitis, Elway, Marino). He has done it every year but after Sunday, everyone would have doubts.
    The only issue is whether he wants to play? After 19 seasons he has the right to make that decision.
    If Favre said “Yes, I intend to come back” this site and talk radio would say “Is he really coming back?” and then call him a “liar” if he retired before.
    Isn’t the questions someone should have ask Childress is “Do you want Favre back?” and “Do your players want Favre back?” The answer in GB by TT two years ago was “NO”. The answer in NY last year was “No” and “Hell no.” I think the answer in Minnesota is “yes” and “hell yes.” He made the young players around him better and he made sundays in the NFL better.

41. paulhornung says: Jan 26, 2010 8:24 PM

myballshurt…love hearing bert 2 packers 0…that and about 2 grand gets you one nosebleed seat in two weeks…or 200 seats to watch the vikes play in the pro bore…why do we get irritated with bert? because he tried to run the franchise…after holgrem left who used spent a lot of energy keeping bert in check, he successfully was able to intimidate a couple of crappy coaches…then he started telling who to draft (not rodgers, draft me someone so I can TRY to win it all now for me) who to sign, you have to get randy for me…he was always buddy buddy with backup qb’s because he knew they wouldn’t take his place. then they draft rodgers and bert “not my job to teach him” knew he would eventually take his place and froze him out, even as rodgers stayed humble and played a good loyal part as number 2…but then bert does his, “i may come back, when i want to” and the pack said we need to plan and bert said plan without me…so they did, he TRIED to think he could pick the team to go to “i earned the right to pick whatever team i want, why not the vikes, sure they are division rivals, but i am bert, I can do whatever i want”…did bert do a lot for GB, yes, but so did reggie, frankie bag o donuts, dorsey, sterling, and back further bart, forrest, ray etc…no player is bigger than his franchise…bert never got that. we’ll forgive him someday, but he has to understand, we were packer fans with bart, had lean years where we were sure lynn dickey, magic man were going to do it so we supported them…loved the pack with reggie and bert, and love them now…they may be 0-16 one day, but they will still be my pack…remember bert’s only won ONE superbowl, sometimes i think history is somehow been rewritten that he won about 10, in fact he has thrown 3 straight BAD game losing interceptions in the game to go to the Superbowl, Eagles and Giants for Pack, and now Saints for Vikes…so yes he gets you there…but the last 3 times has been the one to take it away…

42. slegeir says: Jan 26, 2010 8:30 PM

He did to the Vikings the same thing he did to the Packers. Thanks Brett! Packers fans needed some justice.

43. stnmmc says: Jan 26, 2010 8:33 PM

@ Sankey_LA says: January 26, 2010 6:25 PM
    Okay. I’ll discuss some x’s and o’s with you.
    00:15 left in the game. Almost in field goal range. You roll out and see green in front of you. Do you A) run for it, or B) force a throw across your body to the middle of the field (something you are taught not to do in grade school).
    Favre’s tendency to ignore the x’s and o’s and just “sling” it is one of the major detracting factors about the guy. That and his “all about me ” attitude pretty much make him unlikeable.
    He did kill it in “There’s Something About Mary” though.

44. shamemaker says: Jan 26, 2010 8:35 PM

Childress has field mouse testicles. He has no say in when Favre comes back. He will do as Favre says.

45. Viper21 says: Jan 26, 2010 8:36 PM

Favre is a legend. One of the great QB’s of all-time. Im no Vikings/Jets/Packers fan at all. I am however, a fan of Favre. I was rooting for Favre to beat the Saints…. and Im a Cowboys fan :)
    I think the reality is this: Favre didnt want to retire in the first place. He wanted to play for the Vikings. The Vikings wanted him. However, the Packers Organization wouldn’t have it. Remember, they offered him 20million to just retire. C’mon… anyone in their right mind would take 20Million to not play..!!! Fact is, the Pack wanted Aaron Rodgers to start. So when Favre wouldnt retire(even though he had 20million reasons to), the pack cockblocked him from going to the Vikings. THAT is why he went to Jets. It was the only way to get to Minnesota.
    I personally hope Favre plays another year…hell, two. Not too many get the opprotunity. Most of the followers here, arent atheletes, & have no idea how hard it is to walk away…… Farve finally got what he wanted…. to play for the Vikings…. I think now, we are/will see the first “real” retirement decision.
    oh yeah… Favre dont do training camp anymore either :)

46. Mick730 says: Jan 26, 2010 8:37 PM

After Holmgren left Green Bay, nobody, I mean nobody, held Favre accountable for anything. His playoff performances over the last decade in Green Bay were abysmal. And worse, he didn’t care, and neither did most fans or management in Green Bay until Thompson and McCarthy came along. And btw, Favre’s retirement game started in 2002, not 2008.
    It was good for the Packers and good for Favre for him to leave Green Bay. In Minnesota, for the first time in years, Favre was focused, dedicated and motivated. He would not have been any of that had he stayed in Green Bay. I think even he knows that. He says he had nothing more to prove, but he did. A change of scenerey works wonderss for a lot of folks. It worked well for Favre.
    As a Packer fan, I’m glad he’s gone. I was for any opponent of the Bears in 2006 when they made a run and I was for any opponent of the Vikings this past year. I’m a Packer fan, I don’t care who the QB of the Vikings is, I want them to lose!
    As an aside, I could like the Vikings a lot more if they would get rid of the dome and play outdoors the way Grant’s teams did. I was just a little kid, but those were great teams.
    A dome is ridiculous. As for Favre, I don’t care what he does anymore. But I have to say that his boneheaded INT on Sunday was exactly what I expected of him all along. If he comes back next year, he’ll do the exact same thing again.
    That’s just Favre.

47. Myballshurt says: Jan 26, 2010 8:46 PM

hornung….you still drinking? I can’t even read that shit. I’m no grammar police but Jesus Christ, at least make it readable.
    Rip Favre all you want but there are more Packer fans (myself included) that comment on every Favre story than there are viking fans. BTW…what did our Superstar QB do in the only playoff game in his 5 year career?
    I believe you were trying to say something about your loyalty to the Packers. Your loyalty couldn’t pop a pimple on my ass.
    Favre 2 Thompson 0

48. Gravy says: Jan 26, 2010 8:52 PM

Queenies were the better team? The Saints kicked your purple butts and took the ball away like a bunch of bullies….Except for Brent’s last pass which was his usual playoff gift.

49. 30PTBUCK says: Jan 26, 2010 9:06 PM

As long as that hunka hunka burnin love resides in those wranglers I’ll be waitin with pants on the ground pants on smilin like a fool with my pants on the ground. Brent I’ll even get all my teeth pulled just like you wanted me too
    XOXOXOXO
    Chilly

50. cr19 says: Jan 26, 2010 9:08 PM

Rodgers last play was a fumble for a TD is now 1-1 career as a playoff starter. Thank you rodgers the king of stats but has a career losing record.

51. slipkid says: Jan 26, 2010 9:20 PM

well chilly fell for mr. goodfavre and was left wanting… more?
    i can hear chilly singing now…
    The world was on fire
    No one could save me but you.
    Strange what desire will make foolish people do
    I never dreamed that I’d meet somebody like you
    And I never dreamed that I’d lose somebody like you
    No, I don’t want to fall in love
    [This love is only gonna break your heart]
    No, I don’t want to fall in love
    [This love is only gonna break your heart]
    With you
    With you
    What a wicked game you play
    To make me feel this way
    What a wicked thing to do
    To let me dream of you
    What a wicked thing to say
    You never felt this way
    What a wicked thing to do
    To make me dream of you
    v And I don’t wanna fall in love
    [This love is only gonna break your heart]
    And I don’t want to fall in love
    [This love is only gonna break your heart]
    {World was on fire
    No one could save me but you
    Strange what desire will make foolish people do
    I never dreamed that I’d love somebody like you
    I never dreamed that I’d lose somebody like you
    No I don’t wanna fall in love
    [This love is only gonna break your heart
    No I don’t wanna fall in love
    [This love is only gonna break your heart]
    With you
    With you
    Nobody loves no one

52. Fred Cox says: Jan 26, 2010 9:23 PM

I wonder if Pervy Harvin caught any fish today. He said he was going ice fishing. He’s probably getting drunk right now looking to punch out someone at the local St. Cloud, MN pub. He’s a pugilist and one bad dude. I bet he got a migraine about 9:00 p.m. on Sunday night just like his namesake – Percy Harvin. I wonder why the dude uses a screen name like Pervy Harvin when the guy is such a pussy. “Oh no coach I can’t practice I have a migraine.” Just how long is a pussy like that going to last in the NFL.

53. Adam-Chris Scheftersen says: Jan 26, 2010 9:31 PM

Myballshurt says:
    January 26, 2010 8:46 PM
    BTW…what did our Superstar QB do in the only playoff game in his 5 year career?
    Favre 2 Thompson 0
    —————————
    Seriously? He was 28 of 42 for 423 yards passing, 4 passing TDs, 1 rush TD and 1 INT.
    Favre’s first playoff game?
    15 of 26 for 204 yards, 3 passing TDs and 1 INT.

54. shamemaker says: Jan 26, 2010 9:35 PM

i can’t say” field mouse testicles” when referring to Childress?

55. paulhornung says: Jan 26, 2010 9:45 PM

I apologize “Myballshurt”. I did not know posting to this forum required checking with Strunk and White. I will endeavor to raise my writing to meet your standards. My point was simple; so simple I believe even you can understand it. The name of the team is the Green Bay Packers. It is not the Green Bay Brett’s or Green Bay Favre’s. He was a part of bringing back glory to this franchise – a franchise I have supported as far as I can remember. However, there were many who helped accomplish this. As quarterback he is the de facto face of the team. I supported him as a Packer, and made excuses for him every time he would become a crazed “gunslinger”. Nonetheless, I grew weary of coming so close to getting back to the Superbowl only to see him throw a stupid pass to Dawkins of the Eagles, and a duck to the Giants. Now the Vikings have experienced it also. I admired him and wanted him to come back but could not understand his failure to see how the team needed to know to plan properly for the draft and free agency analysis. Frankly, the annual “will he or won’t he” got old and seemed very selfish. I perceived his plan was to force the Packers to release him, and I supported their decision not to allow him to go to a strong division rival. His success with the Jets was irrelevant to me unless somehow the Packers played them. When he joined a division rival, I could no longer support him. His statements about this being the best team he was on seemed to specifically take jabs at my franchise. Its his right to an opinion; but my right to take offense. Now regarding Thompson, I am not sure he is the best, but he seems to have built a fairly strong young team. Everyone swings and misses but Rodgers and Matthews seem to be long balls. I believe most of the ire directed towards Thompson has to do with letting Brett leave. With Rodgers having two strong seasons, the talking heads state its the right move. You simply cannot state Rodgers has played 5 years; it has been two, and he has played quite well. The Packers are not quite over the playoff hump yet, but it took years for the 90’s team to get past Dallas, with an unbelievably strong supporting cast. I am optimistic of the Packers’ future. I hope my prose meets your standards now. I am sorry, I don’t like to curse or take the Lord’s name in vain. As our founding father George Washington said “The foolish and wicked practice of profane cursing and swearing is a vice so mean and low that every person of sense and character detests and
    despises it.” Lastly, I am pained to hear of your dermatology issues on your posterior. May I recommend Proactiv? Good day sir.

56. lebowski says: Jan 26, 2010 10:20 PM

paulhornung, you are my hero. Nicely done.

57. favresux says: Jan 26, 2010 10:20 PM

Favre told chilDRESS what to say!

58. Crushitlong says: Jan 26, 2010 10:31 PM

Peterson cost them the game, not Favre.
    Trade his fumbling ass out of town.

59. JimmySmith says: Jan 26, 2010 10:32 PM

PaulHornung has spoken like a true Packer fan. Most wish him well all the way up to the point he joined the Vikings. The Vikings are and will likely always be a classless organization best known for choking, something Favre himself has done a regular basis since 2001.
    You see, it really doesn’t matter if Favre comes back in 2010. He might play as well, he might decline, either way, Chilly is there to screw it up. Favre playing in 09 got Chilly the extension and the Vikings will never win with Chilly so we are happy for that one small favor.

60. Pervy Harvin says: Jan 26, 2010 10:35 PM

Fred Cox says:
    January 26, 2010 9:23 PM
    ————————————————–
    Well,well Freddy. It was a cold mutha f@cker out there,-17 windchill. Got my 10 crappies and 12 nice bluegills. No bar though bud,came home to a fine Merlot and a deer steak. Cut Percy some slack there eh…kid plays hard and I highly doubt a young superstar,ROY fakes terrible migraines. I got my head pounded many a year in the ring and know a 2 week headache. That my choosing,but Percy plays ball.Don’t deserve it!

61. raideralex99 says: Jan 26, 2010 10:41 PM

Seriously if the media would just leave Favre alone … none of this BS would happen … nobody cares if he comes back or not.
    Next report should be August 18 when Favre comes to camp.
    Speaking of news … is Cable going to be fired or not … I’m missed today’s report … I guess it’s the same as the last 3 weeks report.

62. Fred Cox says: Jan 26, 2010 10:51 PM

Pervy, I’m heading to Alexandria, MN to pick up my daughter for the weekend. She goes to school there. So happens that Brock Lesnar lives outside of Alexandria. His daughter from a previous relationship goes to elementary school there. Sounds like Brock is getting ready for action again. He never forgets his high school wrestling coach in Webster, SD. Flies him in for his big events. That dude is even crazier than Brock. Later man.

63. whodaywhodat says: Jan 26, 2010 10:58 PM

Pervy Harvin says:
    January 26, 2010 10:35 PM
    I got my head pounded many a year in the ring and know a 2 week headache.
    ===================================
    Got your ass handed to you just like your boyz’. I now know why you speak like a true asshole.

64. edgy1957 says: Jan 26, 2010 11:09 PM

Life After Favre: http://www.boards.edgy-sports.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=2461&p=5524#p5524

65. Fire Ted says: Jan 26, 2010 11:22 PM

Paul Hornung, SCORE….no need to post any further. Classy response to the Viking trolls who still think the pass interference call was some kind of conspiracy.

66. Fred Cox says: Jan 26, 2010 11:28 PM

Just a warning to all Viking fans. You had a great year but it ended just like the 2007 year did for the Packers. While you have a strong nucleus coming back, don’t automatically think that 2010 will be as charmed as this year. Remember the Pathway to Perfection Patriots in 2007? Well, they haven’t been the same since – good but not great. The stars were aligned just right this year for the Vikings, much the same as for the Packers in 2007, but it didn’t work out in the end. Such is life in the NFL. The Giants were Super Bowl champs 2 years ago. Now their fans want to fire their coach. As Jerry Glanville always said, the NFL means Not For Long. But then you could argue what does he know. He was Brett Favre’s coach in Atlanta and thought he couldn’t play.

67. Pervy Harvin says: Jan 26, 2010 11:32 PM

Fred Cox- Who would of ever believed we could talk? Yep,I know where Brock lives. Enjoy the weekend with your girl,I have two. they are my life.
    whodaywhodipshit-I can see you are the product of PCB and other chemicals making it downstream from Minnesota in the Mississippi to NewOrleans. You are a water headed tard baby! Feel for you,it is our paper factories!

68. garyl says: Jan 26, 2010 11:42 PM

I actually saw Paul Hornung so drunk at the Holiday Inn in Green Bay in the 1980’s. He was out dancing with a girl and taking a leak at the same time. We were all grossed out. And I have a business associate in from Taiwan to get a new account – GROSS. He was a gross dude.

69. Pervy Harvin says: Jan 26, 2010 11:47 PM

Fred Cox- We are loaded with young talent though. This Viking era,like it or not.

70. straightup says: Jan 27, 2010 12:00 AM

Pervy, what’s this talk about you used to fight. Boxing,MMA?

71. HereThere says: Jan 27, 2010 12:07 AM

“And for everyone already sick of Favre Watch 2010, take comfort in the fact that Favre and Childress should both go into hiding after Tuesday.”
    Cool. Maybe Rex Ryan and Florio could join them in hiding.

72. HereThere says: Jan 27, 2010 12:17 AM

But….if Brett doesn’t come back, who will coach the Vikings next year?

73. AintsDoneNothing says: Jan 27, 2010 2:30 AM

Myballshurt says:
    January 26, 2010 7:01 PM
    ____________
    Post of the Day!

74. AintsDoneNothing says: Jan 27, 2010 2:35 AM

Both the Saints fans as well as the Packer fans here are the lamest collection of trolls on PFT. The Packers didn’t do sheit this season but go one and out in the playoffs and get skunked by the Vikings. The Saints still haven’t won sheit yet worth bragging about yet their fans feel the need to morph into the very personas of Cowgirl fans that they profess to despise for bragging about nothing. What a joke you all are.

75. AintsDoneNothing says: Jan 27, 2010 2:36 AM

76. AintsDoneNothing says: Jan 27, 2010 2:38 AM

RayDaMayor says:
    January 26, 2010 7:33 PM
    Chilly & Farve …… $10
    “WE AREN’T THE LIONS….WE’RE TALKING ABOUT A SUPERBOWL HERE!” …. $100
    Saints 31 – Vikings 28 …. Priceless
    ___________
    RayDaLoser, your team hasn’t won sheit yet, chump. Until they do, learn to keep your mouth shut or risk looking like the fool that you already are.

77. shaggytoodle says: Jan 27, 2010 2:49 AM

First off I am SICK of the Vikings fans talk how “they outplayed the saints in all phases” turnovers is the one of the BIGGEST phases of the game and if your on the wrong side of it your gonna lose. Not setting a deadline sounds like the Vikings have NO FLIPPING CLUE about what to do in the future. Do they let Favre go and draft a QB late in the draft? If you miss on that QB your team can be set back a LONG time. Yes the run game and line are great, but that won’t matter if you have Joey Harrington or Tom Couch as your QB. Enjoy your future Vikings’ fans, if your team chooses to give the ball away that much the window may all ready be closed on you for your “ALL IN for Favre,” season.

78. MNPackerfan says: Jan 27, 2010 6:37 AM

Pervy, I find it pretty ironic that you make a post about classless fans. All you ever do on here is trash Packer fams and act like an immature kid. I am glad that there are so many Viking fans that have your “CLASS”!!
    As for Favre, I no longer care what he does. I appreciated him when he played for us, but once he left I don’t care. The best thing he is done was helped get Chilly his extension. Now we get a few more years of 12 men on the field, etc.

79. Pervy Harvin says: Jan 27, 2010 9:12 AM

MNPackerfan – Class has no place on a site like this son. When you run with the wolves,you must act like one.Or you get ate alive!
    straightup- Have done both. Not anymore.Just teach.

80. moreflagsmorefun says: Jan 27, 2010 11:43 AM

Why are reporters asking Chilly if Brett is coming back, they need to ask Ziggy, he is in charge. All chilly has to do is gas up the SUV
    and turn on map quest and head to the airport
    to pick up Brett who flew in on Ziggies Private Jet.
    BuH ByE

81. Supersuckers says: Jan 27, 2010 3:59 PM

Pervy…were you responsible for any of this?

82. Pervy Harvin says: Jan 27, 2010 4:59 PM

Super- Fat chance,gayest video I ever seen! Opps,sorry to say gay. Rodgers with a stash looks like John Holmes…too bad he hung like Mighty Mouse!