Vince Wilfork thinks franchise tag is "a slap in the face"

As a player with six years of NFL experience and a contract that expired at the end of the season, New England Patriots defensive tackle Vince Wilfork is about to become an unrestricted free agent.

And Wilfork says that if the Patriots restrict his movement by slapping him with the franchise tag, they might as well slap him in the face.

“I did honor my six-year deal. Now, that six-year deal is up. It’s time for me to move forward, with the Patriots or not with the Patriots,” Wilfork said today on WEEI. “[A franchise tag] is decent money for most people out there. What I do, it’s okay.

“But I don’t look at myself as an okay player,” Wilfork continued. “Like I said, it’s just basically a slap in my face and it’s insulting to me to tell me I’m an okay player.”

The 28-year-old Wilfork says he plans to sign a multi-year contract with whatever team makes him the best offer, and he doesn’t sound keen on the idea of providing the Patriots with a deal at a discount price.

“I want a long-term deal or I want to be free. Point blank. That’s how I’m looking at it, that’s how my family is looking at it,” Wilfork said. “I’m not selling my family short and I’m definitely not selling myself short just to stay back and to win and to be part of a great organization.”

Permalink 83 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: New England Patriots, Rumor Mill, Sprint Football Live - Rumors, Top Stories
83 Responses to “Vince Wilfork thinks franchise tag is "a slap in the face"”
  1. Bwa Ha Ha says: Jan 27, 2010 12:54 PM

OK, Vince, as a player you suck
    Does that make you feel better?

2. kosarsmyidol says: Jan 27, 2010 12:55 PM

A franchise tag is decent money? Isn’t it the average of the 5 highest paid players at his position? He’s just hoping that some team will give him a deal with a lot of guaranteed money at the front end. That way, when he gets cut after his production drops, he won’t get screwed. He doesn’t want to sell himself short, but he certainly isn’t worried about selling himself for too much.

3. elduderino13 says: Jan 27, 2010 12:55 PM

“One of the reasons the Patriots have become a great organization is that they haven’t overpaid to keep veteran players around past their primes. Which means the Patriots’ needs and Wilfork’s desires may not align this off-season.”
    Of course, one could argue that one of the reasons the Patriots have slid from “great” team to good team is that they haven’t kept some of their veterans.

4. akuehn713 says: Jan 27, 2010 12:57 PM

Somebody pleases slap me in the face with $7 million.

5. Tsmith says: Jan 27, 2010 12:57 PM

since when is getting paid the average of the top 5 players at your position mean getting paid as an okay player?
    I love these guys who say its a slap in the face that their team decides to pay them an insane amount of money for one year….Julius Peppers just made almost 1 million per game, i guess that was a slap in the face too
    this guy is a jacka$$ and will probably tank it as soon as he gets paid

6. Krow says: Jan 27, 2010 1:02 PM

Hard to feel sorry for multi-millionaires. Hey, make the best deal possible. But stop all this “respect” garbage. It’s money… you know it… we know it.

7. straverse says: Jan 27, 2010 1:04 PM

I didn’t realize Wilfork was such an incomprehensible jackass. Football would be so much better if half of these guys weren’t allowed to speak publicly.

8. longrodvanhungendong says: Jan 27, 2010 1:05 PM

Here we go again with one of those “I need millions and millions of dollars to take care of my family or they will be homeless” speeches.

9. Bob says: Jan 27, 2010 1:05 PM

Ah, the “my family” argument. Dude, if you and your family can’t live off the money from the franchise tag designation, then you need to seriously look at your spending habits.

10. Razon says: Jan 27, 2010 1:06 PM

Boy where to start with this guy.
    Getting Tagged is just okay money. How is the average of the top 5 salary at his position okay money for one year of service.
    That statements reeks of someone who way over estimates his worth.

11. pendantpublishing says: Jan 27, 2010 1:07 PM

they should have packaged seymour and him to the raiders

12. Dan says: Jan 27, 2010 1:08 PM

If Vince wants a Haynesworth contract he is going to get the Franchise tag. If he will take a reasonable contract with a reasonable signing bonus then he will get his long term deal.
    Period.
    I have questions on how much available cash the Kraft’s have after their investment in Patriot Place in this down economy. Its unknown and unreported but there have been tidbits of speculation.

13. footballnut says: Jan 27, 2010 1:08 PM

Wilfork however is in his prime at 28 years of age and the Pats should sign him to a long term deal…The way they handle this will also effect the morale in the locker room.
    I don’t think he is going to hold the Pats to Haynesworth money so to speak, but definitely a long term deal with $30 million at least in guaranteed cash…How they sign Wilfork or don’t will certainly tell us how aggressive or not they’ll be in this off season. I just hope they don’t plan on what they THINK the new CBA will be like as they will cripple them for a long time if they are wrong.

14. Joe in Toronto, Canada says: Jan 27, 2010 1:09 PM

I don’t think the Pats will franchise him because Bellichick has said there will be more veterans gone THIS off season too.
    I wouldn’t be completely surprised to see him land in Oaktown with his buddy.
    You guys can laugh all you want, I couldn’t care less.

15. SWILPackfan says: Jan 27, 2010 1:10 PM

Yeah! You tell ‘em, Vince! What kind of asshole would only take 4 or 5 million dollars to be part of a great organization that wants to win? Don’t sell yourself short. You ARE great and you should definitely make millions more than you already have. Why should you care about winning?

16. InBBWeTrust says: Jan 27, 2010 1:13 PM

Love you Vince, but you’re 28. No way you get a 6 year deal….

17. Bigbluefan says: Jan 27, 2010 1:13 PM

And people wonder why I side with the owners with the contract issues
    This guy is everything that is wrong with the game
    His family agrees what do they agree that they need more bling and cars
    Get real if not for the NFL you would be parking cars not owning them
    STFU asshole

18. KnuckleBucket says: Jan 27, 2010 1:14 PM

19. evilmajortom says: Jan 27, 2010 1:15 PM

And so it begins . . . like rats fleeing a sinking ship everybody wants out of New England . . . Bob Kraft has enough money to pay the man what he’s worth so I’d be pissed off too . . .

20. topcide says: Jan 27, 2010 1:19 PM

I’d shoot my pants if offered me 10% of that franchise tag a year.

21. Tyler says: Jan 27, 2010 1:21 PM

“One of the reasons the Patriots have become a great organization is that they haven’t overpaid to keep veteran players around past their primes.”
    They have actually underpaid players in their prime. But players are not dumb any more, they know, the Pats can’t guarantee rings after choking for 5 straight years.

22. Bee_Arthur says: Jan 27, 2010 1:22 PM

Haiti is destroyed by major earthquake and hundreds of thousands are homeless … gimme mo money.

23. FireJerryJones says: Jan 27, 2010 1:22 PM

He’s a great Nose Tackle in a 3 – 4 defense. They used him as a DT in a 4 – 3 this year about half the time. He wasn’t nearly as effective in that role. He’s got about 2 or 3 good years left and that’s what he’s pissed about.
    His leadership skills are so-so too… and they desperately need a leader on defense.
    He’d look good in a J*E*T*S or Dolphins uniform

24. geek says: Jan 27, 2010 1:23 PM

Well maybe he is getting some good advise. I mean, clearly, this man will have a great deal of difficulty earning a living wage once his football career is over. He is great at the position, and he needs to ensure that he earnes enough in the short time he has left to keep his standard of living for the rest of his life. I don’t blame him, but I also don’t blame the Patriots for not letting that break their bank.
    If the Patriots had Seymour all season, I think they would have had a much better chance to beat the Ravens and be in the Superbowl. The Patriot’s have been penny wise for some time, but they also seem to get too focussed on the business side somtimes. At some point they have to be willing to say that it’s worth pushing for the glory now instead of later.
    If the Patriots do franchise him (I suspect they will), it will be for the same reason they franchized Cassel last year – to maximize the return on the investment. If they do it, he won’t ever play for them again. To bad, as I don’t know how Belichick runs his D without Wilfork. It will take years to replace him with a person who has both the physical tools, the football intelligence and the experience that he needs to run the D. Others will slot in, just as others slotted in for Seymour, Bruschi and Vrabel. But we all saw the decline that came out of that duct tape-approach. If they don’t get this guy back into the system, they will need to go into full-blown rebuild mode and create a new D (4-3 anyone? How about a nice Tampa-2?)

25. snnyjcbs says: Jan 27, 2010 1:23 PM

They will never give him what he is worth. And if they slap a tag on him my guess is he will make Randy Moss in Oakland look like a model player.
    The days of players willing to take a pay cut to play with what has become an average team are over. You pay up like the rest or with a line that was already suspect loose your best player.

26. 8man says: Jan 27, 2010 1:23 PM

Well I can’t fault him for wanting as much as he can get.
    He won’t get that in New England. He’s made this public so he needs to go. I only want guys who want to wear the Patriots gear, wearing the gear. If you know what I mean. Slap him with the tag and try to work a trade?
    You are about to be dead to me, Vince. Good luck in Oakland, Tampa, Detroit or wherever.

27. hey21 says: Jan 27, 2010 1:23 PM

At last, an athlete that admits it’s about the money. At least we know he doesn’t care if he wins or not, and that he doesn’t care if he plays on a quality team. I hope the Pats let him go, they don’t need this guy.

28. VegasBronco says: Jan 27, 2010 1:24 PM

I have always sided with the owners on this one. The players say that they need the long term contract for family security but then do not save any money from the $3 million they were just paid.
    You give the average (Joe/Jane) $3 million and even if the government takes theirs, I think they could live with $2 million because they would not ‘blow’ the money on cars, bling, and $2 million estates.
    Now I must say that out of the 1800 players, there are only 1% that has this problem. Most get paid $310t – $860t annually which is still unheard of money for the working class.
    Then you have those players that argue that they only have 5-10 years of this kind of money. First off why would it kill them to go to work after their playing days are over and secondly, you let us work for five years at $1 a year and see what kind of IRA we would have. Fat I mean FAT.
    Nah Wilfork, I do not see your point on being ‘franchised’ for about $7 million for one year.

29. kellyb9 says: Jan 27, 2010 1:25 PM

As much as it pains me to say this, Wilfork does (sort of) have a point. It’s a huge risk being forced into these one year contracts. Here’s a guy who’s likely due to make the most a nose tackle has ever made over the course of 4 or 5 years lets say. Now, instead of that, he’s going to make an average of the top 5 players over one year. So if he gets injured or something like that, his value drops substantially. I can honestly see why these players want to avoid being franchised. That being said – It’s hardly “a slap in the face”.

30. litemater says: Jan 27, 2010 1:26 PM

He must be having to feed Latrell Sprewell’s family too…………………..

31. winkel33 says: Jan 27, 2010 1:26 PM

when will athletes learn how dumb they sound when they complain about money, in particular at a time when many people are struggling just day to day to pay their bills. i understand why a player may not want the franchise tag, another one year deal in a career that can end in a moment’s notice. but stop acting as if it is an insult to you and your family to be paid millions of dollars.
    fans in new england seem to want wilfork back – but anymore comments like this may just make it that much easier to let him go.

32. bigrig says: Jan 27, 2010 1:26 PM

Buyer beware. He is more interested in $$$ than in winning, that is his stance.
    I wonder how his agent is going to spin that when he goes shopping his client.

33. kellyb9 says: Jan 27, 2010 1:27 PM

@Razon “That statements reeks of someone who way over estimates his worth.” I don’t think its a stretch to assume he’s going to be the highest paid nose tackle in the game.

34. Brohamma says: Jan 27, 2010 1:27 PM

Whoops!
    Seems like Vince didn’t like the news of BB having been speaking with Saban about Terrence Cody a couple days ago.
    I guess this is the writing on the wall then.

35. HarrisonHits says: Jan 27, 2010 1:29 PM

Oh yeah, getting many millions in guaranteed money for a single season is a slap in the face. Hope you’re ready for it Vince because that’s likely what the Pats will do unless your contract demands are reasonable.
    You’re a great player Vince, but lets look at some numbers
    If you make $50,000 a year it takes you 20 years to make a single million.
    If you make $25,000 a year that means a million is 40 years worth of labor.
    If you get tagged you will get a contract worth what, 10-15 mil and that’s a slap in the face ? You can suck it Vince if that’s not enough for you. That’s enough money to live on top of the world for the rest of your life, and for your entire family to do so as well, from a single year’s work.
    Screw you if that’s not good enough. Greedy prick. You can make as much as one shot as someone making 50k a year does in 200 years. I hope that Pats tag you.

36. Bill Cowher's Chin says: Jan 27, 2010 1:31 PM

Gotta agree with Krow on this one. This is all about business, not about respect. We arent talking about guys on the street, disrespecting another guys “turf” or something.
    Using the statements from Wilfork, should the Pats feel “disrespected” that they spent 6 years making this guy one of the best nose tackles in football, for him to take that leverage and leave???
    “Respect” works both ways. I am not saying anyone should take a home town discount if that isnt in their best interest, again, its business, but he basically said that he is taking the highest offer on the table, and the only way he can do that, is if the Pats simply let him walk…… The team has the right to franchise you Vince. You have the right to sit out, or get pissed, or feel disrespected……
    If my boss is reading this, you can feel free to disrespect me with a 1 year salary of $7 mil…..

37. oaktownraider13 says: Jan 27, 2010 1:32 PM

i think the family angle is more about the stress and hassle it is to have your family be in limbo because you dont know where youll be employed the next year. i dont think its about the money.
    a long term deal puts those issues to rest.

38. BlackberryBartakamos says: Jan 27, 2010 1:36 PM

The guy is worth millions of dollars to someone and should be paid fair market value. It’s probably not a good PR decision to say “it’s a slap in the face to not get paid X amount of money” especially in this economy, but he’s right. The franchise tag is a joke.
    Hopefully the glory days of the NFL uncapped years comes back and we can once again enjoy the NFL as we know it.

39. PFTiswhatitis says: Jan 27, 2010 1:36 PM

“KnuckleBucket says:
    January 27, 2010 1:14 PM
    Although I hate the “crybaby” stance he’s taking right now, he did play out a 6 yr rookie contract.And the fact remains that if the Pats want to keep running a 3-4 defense, they have got to pay the man. i have listened to Wilfork since he got here and ahve always been impressed with him. He’s not the typical “crybaby” athelete and the position he plays is brutal on the human body. Pay the man.”
    Thats exactly why they cant really give him a LONG term big-dollare deal. He’ll never play it out. But If Vince is reasonable he’ll get a decent pay day. I dont see any team paying Haynesworth type money any more. The guy poroved it was a stupid move.

40. ryanrico says: Jan 27, 2010 1:42 PM

Maybe he spent all his money buying crank, like everyone else from jail (The U).

41. Reasonable says: Jan 27, 2010 1:43 PM

The Pats did shut down Mo-Jo with out Wilfork and with out Ty Warren. I’m not saying Wilforks not worth it, I’m saying it because it happend. Got to love Tom Brady though, check this out……..
    (From an interview from Mike Reise.)
    There is a lot of uncertainty with the CBA, and you are in the last year of your contract. Is there any uncertainty there for you with your future with the Patriots?
    “With my contract? [Laughs]. I really don’t like … we’re so fortunate to be playing. I think we’re way overpaid as it is; all of us. We get to go play football for a living. I love playing and I’m very fortunate to play, and I’m very fortunate to walk off the field this year and end the season without having surgery. That’s not really a concern.”
    So you’re willing to take a pay cut? [joking]
    “Like I said, we’re all overpaid. We have the greatest job in the world and I have the greatest job in the world. I love being here and I love Boston, I love the city, I love the community, that’s where our home is.”
    Would you like to have that settled before the start of the season?
    “The contract? Well, I’m under contract and I signed a six-year contract five years ago. There are a lot of players that end up being in my situation. There is a lot of uncertainty with the league and being a player rep now, I realize all the different issues that we’re facing. It’s a really unique time in the league and as a team player, I don’t sit here saying ‘What about me, What about me?’ I’m under contract and I’m going to go out there and play and play my butt off.”

42. InBBwetrust says: Jan 27, 2010 1:45 PM

Please, I get the talk. But yes he is not going to bully anyone and he can ask his buddy how was Oakland.
    Is he better than every other player at that position???I agree he is great for us and at worse you get a 1 yr, also a risk for the team! Do these guys go have steam, not give it their all.
    Liten to the Patriots chatter…we need to be smarter, tougher, and more mature. This organization is built for the long haul, when Tom Brady leads and he does you will follow or get left behind!
    He is great bc he sees the bigger picture and he works to be a great employee…….

43. papertiger says: Jan 27, 2010 1:47 PM

hmmm….this guy definitely sounds like a future Raider. Logistically, however, Al still needs to sign Seymour and SeaBass AND whatever position player he picks at No. 8, so the money might not be there.

44. jeremyb91 says: Jan 27, 2010 1:47 PM

Vince isn’t an OK player, he’s a beast. He doesn’t want a one-year contract that gives him a huge risk of injury thus limiting his maximum guaranteed upfront cash.
    Can you honestly blame him? Put yourself in his shoes and tell me you’d rather take a one year contract that limits your total pay in addition to taking a huge un-calculated risk because you are only playing one season compared to signing a 5 year deal with upwards to $35 mil guaranteed?
    That’s an easy choice.

45. topcide says: Jan 27, 2010 1:48 PM

oaktownraider13 says:
    January 27, 2010 1:32 PM
    a long term deal puts those issues to rest.
    ————————————————-
    Oh wtf ever. He can go drop more on a car than a big chunk of of people’s houses cost them without even blinking.
    Limbo my ass, wish I had that kinda strees.

46. JP Ryan says: Jan 27, 2010 1:50 PM

Every play who gets the franchise tags whines about it… wah wah wah. if you don’t want the money, I’ll take it. Hell just give me 1% of it and I’ll be happy….

47. hizzle1281 says: Jan 27, 2010 1:53 PM

“Vince lives right down the street from me. He does not live “large” (ok maybe a poor choice of words) as many have insinuated and he hasnt made that much $ over his 6 year deal. He deserves to get paid. I just hope he is more reasonable than the quotes would indicate.?
    ——————————————
    “not that much money?”

48. tomservo24 says: Jan 27, 2010 1:53 PM

I can understand Vince’s position. He won a Super Bowl in his rookie year. He’s already got his ring and got to experience the Super Bowl experience, something most players have never done. Now he’s looking for as much money as possible. But, if Vince doesn’t sign he’ll get franchised whether he likes it or not. There’s no way the Patriots will let him go as a free agent and get nothing. If Vince doesn’t like it he’ll get traded to someone who will happily give him the big contract he wants. Maybe to Pioli in KC that has plenty of cap room, or Denver with McDaniels to beef up the D even more.

49. Reasonable says: Jan 27, 2010 1:58 PM

I could see both Seymore and big Vince (for a first or second round pick ) suiting up for the Chief’s under Romeo Crennel. if this happens, the Chiefs could be in really good shape on the defensive side of the football.

50. Montsta says: Jan 27, 2010 2:04 PM

FireJerryJones says:
    January 27, 2010 1:22 PM
    He’d look good in a J*E*T*S or Dolphins uniform!
    _________________
    So then the Jets will just get rid of their current All-World NT Kris Jenkins then?

51. IRISH MAFIA says: Jan 27, 2010 2:07 PM

Love it. The cheatriots lose yet another piece of the puzzle. This is wonderful. First brady is the greatest QB ever, until the coaching staff stops giving him the plays. All of a sudden he is average. Then the great brain trust of a coach who could take decent players and make them winners all of a sudden can’t draft worth a crap.
    Really when was the last time the Patriots drafted someone who actually turned out good. Laurence Maroney was a bust, and not one of their 36 first round picks actually panned out. Mayo had a good year last year, no so much this year.
    Love it, burn baby burn.

52. No1billsfan says: Jan 27, 2010 2:07 PM

Please Buffalo, pick him up. Sign Pats defensive line coach Pepper Johnson for the DC job while you’re at it & snag Seymour from Oakland.

53. coltsfaninthepeg says: Jan 27, 2010 2:08 PM

“I’m definitely not selling myself short just to stay back and to win and to be part of a great organization”
    Translation: If the Raiders back the truck up and bring me scads of money, I’ll jump. Even though I will never even sniff the playoffs again in my career.
    Idiot does not quite describe you, Wilfork.

54. jb10 says: Jan 27, 2010 2:14 PM

if you don’t want tagged you can always quit and go home. no one is forcing you to play football vince.
    or even get the nflpa to negotiate a different deal with the owners.
    get over it and get over yourself!

55. brian91388 says: Jan 27, 2010 2:14 PM

I can’t believe all these people who act like Wilfork is a guy who can’t be replaced. Sure he’s a great player, but he’s not worth Haynesworth money. The Patriots won a Super Bowl in 2001 with a 4-3 defense, they won one with Ted Washington, and they won with Keith Traylor and Wilfork. Nose tackles can be had, every year quality guys get signed for short money or drafted in quality spots. The Patriots would be better off franchising him, dealing him for a 1st and 3rd round pick, and using the money they would of spent on him on Julius Peppers instead. The Patriots need playmakers, and while Wilfork occupies two blockers and creates opportunities for other people, it does no good when you have the Adailus Thomas and Derek Burgess types playing behind him.

56. hizzle1281 says: Jan 27, 2010 2:19 PM

IRISH MAFIA says:
    January 27, 2010 2:07 PM
    Love it, burn baby burn.
    ————————————–
    lets see…..Meriweather is a Pro Bowler
    Mankins might just be the best at his position
    same with Wilfork
    and others who we dont have anymore
    Asante Samuel, Richard Seymour, Matt Cassel, then there are Julian Edelman, Ty warren, Matt Light and the rest of the O and D Line

57. Asswipe Johnson (Pronounced Az-Wee-Pay) says: Jan 27, 2010 2:20 PM

And supposedly Belichick didn’t want to deal with the hassles of Seymour complaining if he was franchised this offseason…LOL.

58. Bill Cowher's Chin says: Jan 27, 2010 2:26 PM

# evilmajortom says: January 27, 2010 1:15 PM
    _______________________________
    Are you serious???? Do you realize there is a salary cap? It doesnt matter how much money Bob Kraft has. It doesnt matter how much money Jerry Jones has. This isnt Major League Baseball, where the Steinbrenners can pay and pay and pay……
    Way back, when Belichick first got the job in New England, one of there best defensive players was Chad Eaton. Some of you may remember hm, some may not. He signed in Seattle for a $3.5 mil. bonus. In todays game, that doesnt seem like a lot of money, for a top DL. New England was able to put 18 players on the roster, with the money that Eaton would have occupied under the cap. It isnt just paying the man, you have to take from Peter to pay Paul (or in this case, to pay Vince).
    Perhaps BB will trade his 1st round pick, and his 2 first round picks next year to the Rams, so he can grab Suh….. The rookie salary cap will be in place for this draft, if I am not mistaken, so it wouldnt be a huge deal to make that trade financially and the Rams certainly need more than just one player to fix that roster…..

59. moreflagsmorefun says: Jan 27, 2010 2:32 PM

So, if you were him you wouldn’t care about your financial security while playing a dangerous sport, maybe he will end up like some of the rotten guy’s Gene Upshaw never cared for.
    I’m a Jet fan, that tells you how much I care about the Patriots but be real why shouldn’t he do what is best for his family.

60. SagNasty says: Jan 27, 2010 2:37 PM

I got Wilfork’s back on this one for a couple of reasons….first, he was strong-armed to take a 6-year rookie (he and Watson had zero levarge…in fact, Tom Condon resigned as Watson’s agent b/c he didn’t want his name on associated w/ a 6-year rookie deal). Second, he played all six years under his rookie…….very unsual, as 80% or so of first rounders (excluding those cut for poor play) get extended at or immediately before year four. Essentially, Wilfork has been playing for less than his market value for the past three seasons.
    A franchise tag on him would be the third time that the Pats essentially took full advantage of their bargaining position with respect to Vince.
    Not unreasonable for Vince to expect a little bit more good-faith on behalf of the Pats after his years of service at less than market value. If I’m Wilfork…….I seriously entertain holding out the entire season.
    Comparing his paycheck to everyday salaries is not fair…..even if he sounds like a millionaire complaining he doesn’t have enough millions.
    The Pats should do the right thing by Vince and either pay him market value or let him leave.

61. Bill In DC says: Jan 27, 2010 2:38 PM

Looks like the Pats made a mistake in keeping Wilfork and trading Seymour.

62. superius says: Jan 27, 2010 2:38 PM

I’ll just say that Vince Wilfork said last year at this time he wanted to spend the rest of his career with the Patriots. He honored his contract, despite the Patriots extending guys like Nick Kazur and Pierre Woods. Well over a year ago he was willing to take a home town deal with the Patriots when they were resigning other defensive players.
    Now its the offseason and rather that do the smart thing and sign Wilfork to a multiyear deal the Patriots seem content to go the Deon Branch/Asante Samuel route which starts with the franchise tag and ends with them leaving the Patriots.
    I’m a huge Pats fan and I watched every game this season. When Wilfork got hurt late in the season and they brought Ron Brace in, it looked like the Pats D was a man short. And teams pounded the run against Brace and he had to come out. Wilfork is one of the only playmakers on the D the Pats have left.
    You think the D would have looked a little better with Asante Samuels and Richard Seymour running around?

63. tudefit says: Jan 27, 2010 2:38 PM

The taking care of my family line these players constantly use is getting old. With the money he makes, he can take care of a lot of families. Give me a break!!!
    Just come out and say I am money hungry and I want to make all the money I can before my career is over so I can be filthy rich.

64. burger_76 says: Jan 27, 2010 2:41 PM

This works both ways. The players are millionaires, but the owners are billionaires. The businessman wouldn’t let themselves get shafted on a deal, why should the players. I hate New England but I understand his point.

65. shaunypoo says: Jan 27, 2010 2:42 PM

While I can be somewhat amenable to his position, if you don’t like it, take it up with your union rep and try to get it changed in the next CBA, otherwise, suck it up, it is the system you accepted when you joined the league. You didn’t have to play in the NFL. Go to the CFL, or get a job a Wal-Mart, whatever.
    You want long term, then you might have to settle a little. You get tagged, it’s because the clubs have the right to do it as per the agreed upon CBA, and because they value you enough to give you a crapload of money. The one year timeframe is more to let them have the time to exclusively negotiate with you. You don’t like it, don’t sign the tag and sit out a year.
    I like the salary cap and think it makes the league as a whole more competitive. Take it away and it will diminish the game as a whole, when only a few teams can compete for the big name players and championships.
    Say hello to the new MLB.

66. jimbofungus11 says: Jan 27, 2010 3:03 PM

IRISH MAFIA says:
    January 27, 2010 2:07 PM
    ——————————————–
    Average? You my friend, are a donkey. Brady threw for 50 tds AFTER spygate. He had an amazing season this year, despite going up against what FootballOutsiders considered the toughest pass Defenses that a QB has faced in 17 years. In fact, they had him rated as the QB who had the best season this year. Just wait until next year when the schedule eases up. 35+ TDs no problem. Clown.
    As far as Vince, I can’t say I blame him. This is his one chance to really cash in.

67. overkil2 says: Jan 27, 2010 3:18 PM

He played through his rookie contract and deserves to be paid top money if there is demand for this services. I have no problem with him coming out and saying this especially since he’s honored his contract.
    Maybe there should be a change to the current rules about Franchise tags, etc. Why should a team force you to play there once your contract is up and you don’t want to?

68. kappa08 says: Jan 27, 2010 3:36 PM

The morale on that team keeps heading down because of their lack of loyalty or just being straight up with their players…and this coming from a very financially successful franchise. It makes you wonder why they do this unless of course it’s in their nature to be pricks….just sayin

69. smiley says: Jan 27, 2010 3:37 PM

Why shouldn’t the Pats be compensated if they lose him? The Pats took the risk, invested in this guy and should be able to recover value if he ends up leaving….it’s called the Franchise Tag. Stop cryin’ dude. The Franchise Tag makes you one of the most valuable guys in the league….how is that “ok” status? You can slap me stupid for $7M. Hail!!

70. smiley says: Jan 27, 2010 3:41 PM

BP is right – we would be fired, destitute and alone. Oh..wait a minute…..

71. Quagmire says: Jan 27, 2010 3:53 PM

Bill In DC says:
    Looks like the Pats made a mistake in keeping Wilfork and trading Seymour.
    Yeah, but would you say it to his face?

72. Brohamma says: Jan 27, 2010 4:04 PM

By cutting Adalius Thomas, Matt Light and Ben Watson N.E. should be able to get a six year deal done with the ability to negate the final two.
    Also, Wilfork is right. Peppers should be the next D.C. and not Patricia. Granted, Patricia has the seniority but Peppers will bring a new identity to the defense which is currently seeking one.

73. mwcarolina says: Jan 27, 2010 4:22 PM

why does he think that??? in my book the franchise tag pretty much tells you how much you are worth to the team and i would be honored to have that.

74. Reasonable says: Jan 27, 2010 4:28 PM

Brohamma says
    No it’s the other way around. Pepper Johnson has 10 years on Patricia. They are both great cadidates. But I hope we can promote Pepper. He has done a lot, paid his dues. In BB I still trust.

75. Mumakata says: Jan 27, 2010 5:01 PM

Quagmire says:
    January 27, 2010 3:53 PM
    Bill In DC says:
    Looks like the Pats made a mistake in keeping Wilfork and trading Seymour.
    Yeah, but would you say it to his face?
    ———————————–
    Not everyone is an uncontrolled animal that reacts to some critisism with violence. I would say it to his face. he is free to disagree.

76. afiresnake says: Jan 27, 2010 5:03 PM

They will tag him (either franchise or transition) and then trade him or cash in on the draft picks from the transition tag.
    Mankins gets tagged as well, and either Green’s or Warren’s contract will expire as well. Mmmh, at some stage the Pats will run out of tags.
    Well, Pats personnel moves the past years have been horrible.

77. Adam-Chris Scheftersen says: Jan 27, 2010 5:05 PM

longrodvanhungendong says:
    January 27, 2010 1:05 PM
    —————————-
    Gotta love those guys… Hey, here’s one now:
    (From wikipedia)
    “On October 31, 2004, the Minnesota Timberwolves offered Sprewell a 3-year, $21 million contract extension, substantially less than what his then-current contract paid him. Insulted, he publicly vented his outrage, declaring, “I have a family to feed.” He declined the extension, and, having once more drawn the ire of fans and sports media, had the worst season of his career in the final year of his contract.”
    Then again, Sprewell’s had a yacht and a home reposessed in recent years. Maybe he was serious.

78. stanjam says: Jan 27, 2010 5:50 PM

Umm, Vince, teams don’t franchise “okay” players. They franchise players they actually really want to keep, and pay them good money to do so.
    I met you, and I liked you when we talked, but please, do not insult fans by saying this is about your family. I can take care of my family for the rest of my life on just one year of your franchise pay, and we will do quite well. You insult the fans when you say that, so stop.
    Say instead you want the security of a long term contract at a rate you feel you deserve for your level of pay. We can respect that. But don’t go dragging your family into this. They live better than 99% of the fans, and will continue to do so as long as you don’t screw up your finances.

79. FMWarner says: Jan 27, 2010 7:35 PM

Vince:
    The franchise tag is part of a collectively bargained agreement. It was in place when you were drafted and it was also part of the new CBA signed when you were a union member. Can’t cry about it. Just because it’s disadvantageous for you at this moment in time doesn’t mean you get to complain.

80. slipkid says: Jan 27, 2010 7:52 PM

$10M a year?
    sign me up, call me names and make me write bad checks, mr. belichick. i fight above my size and weight. it’s a deal.
    vince is a twit. he gets paid to play a kid’s game and doesnt play half the freakin time.
    better yet, make him wear a dress like brady.

81. RaiderChile says: Jan 27, 2010 9:31 PM

Wilfork call Seymour and come be a Raider!

82. elduderino13 says: Jan 27, 2010 9:56 PM

The owners really do have the upper hand in the NFL, since it’s the only major sport that doesn’t guarantee its contracts. I know it sounds ridiculous when Wilfork says it, but the Pats are d-bags. They cut Troy Brown after he played both sides of the ball for them, simply so they wouldn’t have to pay him a signing bonus. He re-signed for less, but players taking less for the team do that to win a championship. Pats are a sinking ship right now.

83. shallowfan says: Jan 28, 2010 8:37 AM

I’m going to bring up the “my family” thing again. Sorry it doesn’t endear him to anyone in america because 7mil for one year of work a normal “family” can live on for the rest of their lives.
    See what a disconnect there is between these guys who think they are entitled and everyone else in the world?
    Not saying that players don’t deserve it. The sport makes the money because people want to watch so they should get paid and not just the owners…Just saying don’t tell me you can’t live on the money you are being paid, even for one season. You insult me and my family and most other families in the world who are living on a lot less.