Wilfork says playing in Florida would be "a dream come true"

Patriots nose tackle Vince Wilfork launched earlier this week a campaign to get paid by the team for which he has played six seasons — or to sign with a new team.

He made his case to WEEI, and now the former Miami Hurricane has told Omar Kelly of the South Florida Sun-Sentinel that playing in Florida would be a “dream come true.”

“I love great weather,” Wilfork said.  “I love football.  It doesn’t matter where I play.
I just want to have security for my family.  I would love to
stay in New England if I had the chance.  I love New England because of
my teammates, my family.  My son, the friends and connections we’ve made
up there, it’s some great people up there.  But if it doesn’t work out
I’ll weigh my options I tell you that.”

Wilfork has said that he doesn’t want the Patriots to use the franchise tag to retain his rights.  But it’s not really Wilfork’s choice.  Under the labor deal, the teams have the right to apply the franchise tag to one unrestricted free agent per year.  And no amount of pissing or moaning by the player can change that.

Permalink 35 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Contracts, Jacksonville Jaguars, Miami Dolphins, New England Patriots, Rumor Mill, Tampa Bay Buccaneers, Top Stories
35 Responses to “Wilfork says playing in Florida would be "a dream come true"”
  1. this class sucks says: Jan 28, 2010 10:07 PM

Pissing and Moaning can’t change it but he can just not play if they tag him. It would suck for everyone but in all reality the player has the real power because he can just refuse to play with an “injury.” It may hurt his standing with other teams trying to get him but someone will take him.

2. sniperhare says: Jan 28, 2010 10:08 PM

The Dolphis could use a good NT right?

3. VegasChris says: Jan 28, 2010 10:10 PM

I recall that Dante Culpepper said the same thing after wanting out of Minnesota…

4. The Oven says: Jan 28, 2010 10:18 PM

I just hope the Patriots piss him off so he writes his tell-all about wearing a mic for Bellicheat.

5. Tim says: Jan 28, 2010 10:21 PM

This means nothing. He’ll say this to every team that interests him. It’s called PR, Florio.
    Next story…

6. Blarch says: Jan 28, 2010 10:27 PM

I hope the Pats don’t do it but if they do then he can just suck it up for a year. Would be a shame though, he honored his rookie contract the whole way. Just look at Cribbs for an example of a player who wont. Not that I blame Cribbs, just pointing out how Wilfork is exceptional.

7. GhostofFlorioPast says: Jan 28, 2010 10:38 PM

He had no leverage. He’s a guy with major fatty issues, and the patriots are not going to bet the farm on him. He can’t afford to sit out a year at his peak, and what if there’s a lockout the next year? By the time they get back to getting paid, he’d be too old to get the bank-breaking contract he’s dreaming of. fat boy is fukked.

8. dafish says: Jan 28, 2010 10:46 PM

Ahh, way to play the local media. I guess the lack of a state income tax is no a factor in his wishes either…

9. HarrisonHits says: Jan 28, 2010 11:05 PM

Hey Vince the millions you’ve already been paid are enough to give you and your family a hell of a lot more than security. Shove your greed up your huge rear end and have fun when they trade you to the Raiders.

10. WTBucs says: Jan 28, 2010 11:17 PM

Would love for the bucs to get him….but knowing the owners…he isn’t a good enough soccer player…

11. armchair_probowler says: Jan 28, 2010 11:20 PM

so thats a no to Green Bay?

12. phinzilla says: Jan 28, 2010 11:31 PM

funny how New Englanders turn on their players….the fan base of the entire New England region is a complete joke. Moss was a turd, then they love him, then he was turd again, then they loved him again….Vrabel, Seymour, Seau, the list goes on and on of players up here that get tagged as gods, then when they go to another team, they are “old, washed up, turds, yada yada yada…….truly the absolute worse fans in the country.

13. prophet of the light says: Jan 28, 2010 11:47 PM

2 franchise tags next year if it goes uncapped.

14. EdelWin says: Jan 29, 2010 12:02 AM

Tag him for a year or 2 then say buh bye

15. rally411 says: Jan 29, 2010 2:02 AM

phinzilla, you forgot Asante Samuel. patsie nation thought he was overrated and easily replaceable. How’s that working out?
    patsie fans aren’t really a fan base. They’re Sox fans in drag.

16. Adam says: Jan 29, 2010 2:40 AM

He’s trying to get leverage of some sort. Pats wouldn’t want him going to Dolphins, division foe.

17. mnmaverick says: Jan 29, 2010 3:11 AM

I’m sure the Vikes would be interested with Pat Williams getting over the hill.

18. tomservo24 says: Jan 29, 2010 3:26 AM

I don’t see Belichick tagging and trading Wilfork to Bill Parcells, so Miami would have to sign him outright for two first rounders. Given the Parcells/Belichick history, Bill P just might do it. Parcells values the NT as much as anyone, and Jason Ferguson might retire.
    For 2 first rounders I’m sure Belichick would let him go, even if it was to a division rival.

19. grape-ape says: Jan 29, 2010 5:20 AM

phinzilla says:
    January 28, 2010 11:31 PM
    ————–
    Funny how people make stuff up, I live in the
    New England region and have never herd anyone
    talk bad about Vrable or Seau.
    And can anyone tell me a fan base that doesn’t
    get on there team when they are not playing well.
    And those “absolut worse fans in the country”
    have sold out every game since 1996.
    That would be before the Brady era started.
    Nice try, thanks for playing!!

20. tigerlilac says: Jan 29, 2010 5:50 AM

Phinzilla, your statements about Patriots fans could not be more wrong. The fans of the Patriots have filled the stadium every game for over a decade. The team, unlike many NFL franchises, did not have the state and local government finance their stadium. That cost has been borne by the fans and by local businesses and their patrons.
    Sports figures, even ones that left the local team late in their careers, are secular saints in the area. Players perceived to put money above all else do take hits on threads like this and on talk shows but the large majority of fans wish those players well. Asante Samuel is a prime example.
    Phinzilla, how many cities can you name that had a parade for a former player that won a championship with another team in another city? Boston did that for Ray Bourke.
    Greats like Bobby Orr, Carleton Fisk, Mark Haynes and Cedric Maxwell that left the local team came home to have their numbers retired, to be named to the local team Hall of Fame, or to be the voice of the team on radio or television. That is also true for not-so-great players like Jerry Remy and Scott Zolak.
    Boston even welcomes the stars from other teams that have been cast off or were looking for a team that knew how to use their talents late in their career (Bill Walton, Curt Schilling, Pete Maravich, Junior Seau) and are all secular saints in Boston. Did you see Ernie DiGregorio feeding the ball to John Havlicek in Havlicek’s last game . . . probably not becaue CBS cut to golf (I remember it well because me and my friends were throwing beer cans at the tv).
    Boston has had its share of sports shame, most of which relates to the prevalence of racism, but to call New Englanders the worst fans in the country is to not understand sports or humanity.

21. RichieBugs83 says: Jan 29, 2010 7:00 AM

@ Phinzilla
    You are a Dolphins fan. Owned.

22. GoBrowns19 says: Jan 29, 2010 7:49 AM

23. AJSJR40 says: Jan 29, 2010 8:13 AM

The Pats let Asante walk and have been doing nothing but looking for his replacement ever since. Vince is far to important to the middle of the defense and the locker room. BB needs to step up and pay Vince. Now is not the time to go on the cheap.

24. FireJerryJones says: Jan 29, 2010 8:14 AM

…he loves great weather, and a few cheese burgers. That’s what you want… a 350(+)lb guy getting comfortable.

25. wwwmattcom says: Jan 29, 2010 8:21 AM

Tag him, it’s a business, and he has to understand, he’s a tool.

26. Mr Krinkle says: Jan 29, 2010 8:36 AM

Hey Vince, telling the Patriots you would love to go to a divisional rival isn’t going to help you get out of town.

27. kennethnoisewater says: Jan 29, 2010 8:52 AM

Asante Samuel IS overrated… “hey I’m Asante Samuel, sure I’ll grab 8-9 interceptions a year, but if you’re counting on opposing number one’s to put up 10 catches for 200 yards and 3 TDs on me come playoffs, I’m your guy!”
    Seriously, dude gets torched by quality opposing receivers…. he’s a gambler, not a shutdown corner

28. Pats Putwa Pounders says: Jan 29, 2010 8:54 AM

Pay the man… Without him we’ll suck even more..

29. Darron says: Jan 29, 2010 9:16 AM

I think what he meant to say is “Making millions of dollars would be a dream come true.”

30. InBBwetrust says: Jan 29, 2010 9:25 AM

queerphinzilla probably what you suck, nobody other than homo’s from south beach would think that bc you wish his statement came true and he was playing for that sex-offender looking coach!
    Don’t hate on the Pats bc we own the division bitch
    By the way we love our gay brothers and sisters, you being a fag is more about your lack of character

31. Ytsejamer1 says: Jan 29, 2010 9:26 AM

I think all NE fans want Vince to come back…we need him a lot more than he needs the team, that’s for sure. He’s been stand-up, honored his contract, and has been very reliable and durable. We need more guys like him, not less.
    We’re not going to be able to replace him with crap-draft pick 4 and crap-draft pick 7….or with Raiders scrap-heap player 18. If they would just lock guys up early, they’d save themselves the trouble. They did it with Ty Warren. They could have done it with Samuel who while a gambler, played well in our system.
    With Brady coming up for renewal, I’m curious how they will handle his situation…will they lock him up sooner, will they wait to the last minute as they are with Vince, will they expect he will take a hometown deal of $3.14 and some pocket lint? I can’t quite figure them out…

32. overkil2 says: Jan 29, 2010 9:31 AM

“GoBrowns19 says:
    January 29, 2010 7:49 AM

No one is keeping you here. Why don’t you go back to the North?

33. Reasonable says: Jan 29, 2010 9:38 AM

phinzilla says:
    January 28, 2010 11:31 PM
    —————————————
    I don’t see any Pats fans turning on him. Just the haters spewing more spew…..like you.
    He honored his rookie deal that he didn’t want to sign (six year deal, he wanted 5.) and he did it like a man. Let him go, or Franchies and trade like Cassel last season. Then again, Chad Johnson sure looked like he was not going to be a Bengal back in 07 and………

34. hizzle1281 says: Jan 29, 2010 11:40 AM

i say trade him to the Chiefs

35. Jason Ofthetower says: Jan 29, 2010 1:38 PM

GoBrowns19 said, “Believe me, living in Florida is the absolute worst. The summers are unbearable, bugs everywhere, the people are downright rude and each person thinks the world was created just for them. Not to mention going to the beach becomes such a pain you learn to hate it. The north is just fine with me. ”
    The only rude people in Florida are the ones that moved down here from up North…like say..Cleveland. Don’t let the door hit your ass on the way out of the state, pal.
    As for the topic…Bucs need a UT…Wilfork wants to come to Florida…hmmmm….looks to me the only thing preventing this marriage is another striker for Man U.