More details on Maualuga arrest

We were getting ready to drive the ’81 Vanagon (we’ve upgraded from the ’68 VW bus) to South Florida when we caught wind of the fact that Bengals linebacker Rey Maualuga had been arrested for driving drunk in a much nicer vehicle.

And we somehow missed the fact that two girls were in the vehicle with Maualuga.

One is 17, and the other is 18.

Maualuga, who is 23, has not been charged with any of the various crimes that can arise from consorting with 17- or 18-year-old girls.  Yet.

The late Chris Henry once was charged with giving alcohol to an underage girl.  And if Maualuga was driving the car and he was drunk, there’s a good chance that the girls had been drinking — and there’s a good chance that the only person in the vehicle old enough to buy the alcohol might have had a role in providing it to them.

We’re not saying he did.  We’re just pointing out the fairly obvious possibility that arises when stuff like this happens.

Permalink 42 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Cincinnati Bengals, Legal, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
42 Responses to “More details on Maualuga arrest”
  1. wheresmyarm says: Jan 31, 2010 2:07 PM

This guy knows how to party!

2. Tibor says: Jan 31, 2010 2:09 PM

Fascinating. Except that police can’t use stuff like that for evidence of a crime. How much of a dumbass are you, Florio?

3. bonafide says: Jan 31, 2010 2:10 PM

Same old Bengals.

4. Alzado's Vein says: Jan 31, 2010 2:10 PM

I’m sure theres no chance the girls told him they were 21! Girls nowadays look and dress 10 years older than they are.
    Looks like someone missed the Prime U lecture on coverin yo’ ass.

5. silverreign says: Jan 31, 2010 2:13 PM

rich and famous, and still have to get high school girls drunk to get laid.

6. scrapdawg12 says: Jan 31, 2010 2:13 PM

C’mon Rey, you can’t be drinking and driving with minors in the car. You can’t be giving minors alcohol either. Common sense.

7. Joe in Toronto, Canada says: Jan 31, 2010 2:16 PM

Oh boy.

8. Lombardi 6 says: Jan 31, 2010 2:22 PM

I blame this on Afa & Sika….

9. Tony Dent says: Jan 31, 2010 2:24 PM

The Bengals are the dirtiest team off the field in the history of sports.

10. theblacktshirt says: Jan 31, 2010 2:25 PM

thanks for pointing that out…

11. jimbofungus11 says: Jan 31, 2010 2:27 PM

Bengals are back!

12. alewatcher says: Jan 31, 2010 2:31 PM

Ouch. This could get real ugly for the Bengals.

13. armchair_probowler says: Jan 31, 2010 2:38 PM

terd? glad GB got Clay not this clown.

14. Chris says: Jan 31, 2010 2:40 PM

ha

15. favresux says: Jan 31, 2010 2:42 PM

once a bengal, always drunk,dumb and stupid. like a bengal

16. Rock56 says: Jan 31, 2010 2:50 PM

I knew this guy had no class when he was at USC dancing behind Erin Andrews.. this guy is a first class piece of shit.. your in the NFL, you cant find a girl thats at least 21? this guy is a joke.. he belongs on the Bengals

17. Adam-Chris Scheftersen says: Jan 31, 2010 2:54 PM

One is 17, and the other is 18.
    ————————————
    Give the guy a break. Erin Andrews was busy.

18. last starfighter says: Jan 31, 2010 2:55 PM

I remember someone from the Knicks was cruisin with some 15 year-olds a few years back.

19. Tr3pidation says: Jan 31, 2010 3:06 PM

Welcome to the Bengals…

20. The Notorious V.I.C. says: Jan 31, 2010 3:19 PM

Don’t give me this “under the age of 21″ bullshit.
    Drinking age should be 18 anyway. All you wannabe-Puritan idiots are to dumb to even realize this.

21. 1IH says: Jan 31, 2010 3:46 PM

He was recently dating the 23 year old sister of the 18 year old. I don’t know if this makes it any better or worse, guess it depends on wha your into!
    3 things:
    1. DUI
    2. Others in vehicle
    3. Where d h hav to half dozen Captain and Cokes at with girls under 21?
    Disclaimer – I am not without my own skeletons and or mistakes!

22. rcpecook says: Jan 31, 2010 3:51 PM

Trade him to the vikings they LOVE guys like this.

23. bengalman says: Jan 31, 2010 3:57 PM

For those that say same ole bengals,
    In the last two years all they’ve had was 2 DUIs
    Please look at the list on this site and you will see they are amoung the teams with the lowest amount of players in trouble. They made the effort to change the culture and have been rather succesfull. Please child!!

24. IWanttoPunchFloriointheFace says: Jan 31, 2010 4:02 PM

What in the hell is wrong with banging young girls?

25. nhuskerjj says: Jan 31, 2010 4:49 PM

VIC that has to be one of the worse replies out there. I usually dont reply in here but since you decided to call people idiots like the rest of the progressive liberals out there would do, I will reply to yours. 18 IS NOT the legal drinking age. As of right now gay marraige NOT legal in most states, weed IS NOT legal unless prescribed. Texting and driving is NOT legal in any state. Whether you think any of these SHOULD or SHOULD NOT be legal is neither here nor there.
    Being in a car while drunk and with underage kids IS NOT legal whether you like it or not.

26. Clevelander says: Jan 31, 2010 5:00 PM

C’mon now, he was driving a sweet 2003 Pontiac. Who WOULDN’T get in the car with him?!

27. Bigbluefan says: Jan 31, 2010 5:01 PM

Just another jock who thinks what he keeps in his jock
    While they are old enough for something not old enough to drink
    While we can all talk about the legal drinking age it is 21 while it should be 18 and weed should be legal and Vox should be able to come out as Tony Romos gay lover
    But again Ahole drinking with underage is nothing but an invite to trouble

28. CookieFlash says: Jan 31, 2010 5:09 PM

This guy will end up a waste a fantastic talent so he can act cool around some teenagers.
    We don’t know the specifics around the girls being in the car , maybe they were going to buy hair products together?
    That being said ;while I know better than to get into a car with some underage girls and having alcohol involved, I’m not so sure how I’d handle the situation myself. Young tang is young tang!

29. Biglardawg says: Jan 31, 2010 5:45 PM

Yeah, but 17 and 18 are like 21 and 22 in Kentucky (Cincinnati).

30. BradyGazelle says: Jan 31, 2010 6:10 PM

At least Maualuga was apparently smart enough to not be wearing his jersey.

31. The Jimmy says: Jan 31, 2010 6:29 PM

The whole Erin Andrews thing says a lot about him.
    I wonder how he would feel if somebody was doing that to his mother, sister or daughter while she was trying to do her job?

32. husky92 says: Jan 31, 2010 6:31 PM

Do the Bengals do background checks on guys???
    If they do, I’d love to see what kind they do. They’ve cornered the market on troublemakers.

33. 1IH says: Jan 31, 2010 6:33 PM

3 things:
    1. DUI
    2. Others in vehicle
    3. Where d h hav to half dozen Captain and Cokes at with girls under 21?
    Disclaimer – I am not without my own skeletons and or mistakes!

34. VegasRandy says: Jan 31, 2010 6:48 PM

Word out of Miami this week is Ray is an alcoholic, which is the reason he fell in the draft last year.

35. Laxer37 says: Jan 31, 2010 7:09 PM

Bengalman says:
    For those that say same ole bengals,
    In the last two years all they’ve had was 2 DUIs
    __________________________________
    Love how the standard has been set so low in Cincinnati that this is his main supporting point of improved behavior.
    Dude you should do stand up. I can’t stop laughing!

36. mlegue810 says: Jan 31, 2010 7:23 PM

Don’t be too quick to judge Rey Rey… hell, if I had a couple of drunk teenagers that were willing to come home with me, I’d be in seventh heaven. Whether you’re willing to admit it or not, most of you would, too. People try to hold athletes to higher standards for any number of stupid reasons, the worst of which being that they are supposed to be role models for your kids. You want your kids to grow up right? Spend some time with them.

37. timbo33 says: Jan 31, 2010 7:36 PM

its amazing you haven’t been knee capped with a bat yet Florio. You really do print some sewing circle crap.

38. Brady-mancrush says: Jan 31, 2010 7:58 PM

Aaaaaahhhhhh!!!!
    Good to see the old Bengals are back!

39. jupe says: Jan 31, 2010 9:39 PM

age of consent is 16 in KY anyway. drinking age is 21.

40. Route36West says: Jan 31, 2010 9:41 PM

I think there is nothing wrong with a 23 year old hanging out with a 17 year old. I dont even know why you mentioned the 18 year old as being a problem.
    Yes he shouldnt buy them alcohol but besides that who cares. Im 22 and I would have no quams with hanging out with a 17 year old girl. By the time a girls 17 shes basically on the same playing field with a 23 year old. Now if it was a 30 year old guy with these girls its a problem.
    Maulaga just graduated college and their just getting into College whats the difference. Its not like he had them butt naked in the car going at it.

41. CincyAllDaWay says: Feb 1, 2010 12:59 PM

Everybody’s hating on Rey….Was it stupid, you bet. Did show very poor judgement…without a doubt! She he have his ass fined off for it..of course. But all you haters out there know damn well that you would kick those greasy,lard ass, 12 sandwich eating biatches that you married, along with that bag of cheese poopcorn they’ve got hiden under their pillows, straight out the door for even 15 minutes with an 17 or 18 year old. Don’t take this the wrong way, I’m not saying what he did was right and I’m not saying that I condone it, but most of you are posting because your just jealous. If your not happy with the porkers laying next to you then make a change. And please, don’t hate the playa, hate the game!

42. The Notorious V.I.C. says: Feb 1, 2010 2:37 PM

Route36West – I agree completely.
    But, then again, you and me have common sense.
    All these other fools don’t realize that some of these things they regard as set in stone because they are “laws” or “rules” (like not letting a 20-year old person buy alcohol or a 19-year old hook up with a 17-year old) are just stupid and the government infringing on our freedom to just live our damn lives.